The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Jeffy95 »

Bigfoot12 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 pm Why wouldHermantown ever merge with anybody, that is the dumbest idea ever, also your fantasy 7A and 7AA sections are just that FANTASY.
I realize you would have to add a few teams to the five in 7A but it could easily be done. Mora might be a good fit and then you could look to the St. Cloud area. Sauk Rapids, Sartell, etc. I-Falls would probably be a better fit for 8A due to location. Hermantown wouldnt play any of them so they aren't affected. Definitely doable.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Bigfoot12 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 pm Why wouldHermantown ever merge with anybody, that is the dumbest idea ever, also your fantasy 7A and 7AA sections are just that FANTASY.
Exactly, why would Hermantown merge officially, when they essentially are already merged with Proctor? Hermantown gets all the best players to open enroll from Proctor, yet the Hawks can keep their enrollment number at a small-town hockey level of 614, which looks much better than if they had to add the 474 from Proctor. That would put them to almost 1100, perilously close to the AA cutoff and well past small-town hockey range! It would destroy the small-town hockey FANTASY that exists in the swamp behind the mall.

Hermantown can get the best Proctor players as open-enrollees (Aamodt, Samberg, Judnick, Antcliff, etc.), then add teenage transfers who are already stars when they arrive (Gotz, Gotz, Watkins, Pierce, Lund, etc.), and have it barely affect their enrollment number so the small-town hockey claim can be kept alive. It truly is FANTASY hockey in the Hawk Dome.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Got to love the Hermantown Hawk Haters (HHH)!
They are so entertaining. They are my lunch time comics.
They can never lose but then again they can never Win.
I've been following them for years now and just want to give them a Shout Out for their years of entertainment! =D>
kniven

Post by kniven »

Is Scott Pionk a Hermantown hater? Heck ... this is a forum on the web. Pionk went public to the press and tv and anybody that would listen. Compared to the hole in the earth forum were only us cavemen, hairy knuckles, insane hockey animals feed. I think Hermantown is a top 10 hockey team every year the last 20 irregardless of A or AA. A great hockey program second only to Duluth East in the 218 👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm Is Scott Pionk a Hermantown hater? I think Hermantown is a top 10 hockey team every year the last 20 irregardless of A or AA. A great hockey program second only to Duluth East in the 218 👍
Moorhead, Roseau, Grand Rapids may argue at the AA level.

Last 20 years
DEast 12 appearances 4 runner-ups
Moorhead 10 appearances 4 runner-ups
Roseau 7 appearances 2 champions
Grand Rapids 4 appearances 1 championship 2 runner-ups

Maybe Duluth East is third (4) behind Hermantown and #1 Roseau or Grand Rapids.

Hermantown 12 appearances 3 champions and 6 runner-ups.
kniven

Post by kniven »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:29 pm
kniven wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm Is Scott Pionk a Hermantown hater? I think Hermantown is a top 10 hockey team every year the last 20 irregardless of A or AA. A great hockey program second only to Duluth East in the 218 👍
Moorhead, Roseau, Grand Rapids may argue at the AA level.

Last 20 years
DEast 12 appearances 4 runner-ups
Moorhead 10 appearances 4 runner-ups
Roseau 7 appearances 2 champions
Grand Rapids 4 appearances 1 championship 2 runner-ups

Maybe Duluth East is third (4) behind Hermantown and #1 Roseau or Grand Rapids.

Hermantown 12 appearances 3 champions and 6 runner-ups.
Your probably right. I just prefer the brand of Duluth East over those mentioned above. For me, it’s mostly a Duluth area thing.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Well if Mr. Pionk posts on here bashing the Hawks program, the people, players etc. then I think he would fall in the fan club. What little I read about him is that he strongly feels the Hawks should have moved up. I would be in the same boat as him. When I come up to Mn. I am surprised how little people follow HS hockey (compare to Texas HS Football) and the select few that I talk to (Metro, Alex area, St. Louis C) that know about the Hawks history don't really care one way or the other. When I visit my friends in Hawk nation I haven't found one that thinks the Hawks should stay in "A". It's not like a know a Sheep ton of of folks in the 729, 213, 393 area. So I laugh at the HHH when they use words like "Everyone, All, etc." That's just good stuff.
Well time to go. It's 86 here in Austin and I got to go pull weeds!
kniven

Post by kniven »

Zeke wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 pm Well if Mr. Pionk posts on here bashing the Hawks program, the people, players etc. then I think he would fall in the fan club. What little I read about him is that he strongly feels the Hawks should have moved up. I would be in the same boat as him. When I come up to Mn. I am surprised how little people follow HS hockey (compare to Texas HS Football) and the select few that I talk to (Metro, Alex area, St. Louis C) that know about the Hawks history don't really care one way or the other. When I visit my friends in Hawk nation I haven't found one that thinks the Hawks should stay in "A". It's not like a know a Sheep ton of of folks in the 729, 213, 393 area. So I laugh at the HHH when they use words like "Everyone, All, etc." That's just good stuff.
Thanks Zeke from Texas. I'm a huge fan of MOJO high school football way up here in northern MN. I fallow their twitter feed and facebook page. Some day I would like to get down there for a home game at Ratliff Stadium in Odessa.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Zeke wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 pm Well if Mr. Pionk posts on here bashing the Hawks program, the people, players etc. then I think he would fall in the fan club. What little I read about him is that he strongly feels the Hawks should have moved up. I would be in the same boat as him. When I come up to Mn. I am surprised how little people follow HS hockey (compare to Texas HS Football) and the select few that I talk to (Metro, Alex area, St. Louis C) that know about the Hawks history don't really care one way or the other. When I visit my friends in Hawk nation I haven't found one that thinks the Hawks should stay in "A". It's not like a know a Sheep ton of of folks in the 729, 213, 393 area. So I laugh at the HHH when they use words like "Everyone, All, etc." That's just good stuff.
When it's 86 in Minnesota we drink beer and jump off a pontoon. But I'm not going to judge a guy for pulling weeds....
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

You obviously are working on a small sample size. Minnesota High School Hockey is talked about a ton by just about everyone I know, and I don't even live in one of the crazy for hockey towns like Roseau, Warroad, Moorhead, Edina, Grand Rapids, etc. I own a restaurant/bar and have countless people (many who never played, or had a kid play hockey) wanting to talk about high school hockey. Many you talk to might not know much about Hermantown as they don't play AA. I am not a Hermantown hater in any way, but they will not be lifted to the heights of MN Hockey lore sticking in A.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

zooomx wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 am
You obviously are working on a small sample size. Minnesota High School Hockey is talked about a ton by just about everyone I know, and I don't even live in one of the crazy for hockey towns like Roseau, Warroad, Moorhead, Edina, Grand Rapids, etc. I own a restaurant/bar and have countless people (many who never played, or had a kid play hockey) wanting to talk about high school hockey. Many you talk to might not know much about Hermantown as they don't play AA. I am not a Hermantown hater in any way, but they will not be lifted to the heights of MN Hockey lore sticking in A.
So what kind of discount (freebies) do I get?
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:06 am
zooomx wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 am
So what kind of discount (freebies) do I get?
That can be negotiated, but give me a heads up ahead of time so I can stock up the bar!! :lol:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

got it

:D
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

Single A hockey is about the Proctors, and Ely's of the state. Playing a tough competitive game and/or upsetting a team in the playoffs. NOT the Hermantown's who play the best AA teams during the season and win / compete day in and day out with them …..and who get a guarantee state birth.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

Congrats to Ely, a big win over the Falls, good for the little guys!
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Yes Hats off the Ely. I always root for the schools that I pay taxes for. I have a hard time catching fish on Bear Island lake but the islands are fun to camp on. I really wanted Proctor and Moose Lake to win on Saturday. Rats!
Tonight I'm rooting for all the small schools in Section 7 but not Section 6. Go Cards!

Question- What school do the Hockey player go to if you drew a line from Toivola, Kelsey, Cotton and end up in West Bass Lake area (basically Hwy 52)? Maybe in dip down to Meadowlands area too.
Thanks
Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper »

I think most of those kids all now got to SouthRidge which has a co-op for hockey with Proctor. There is currently 1 sophomore that plays. I know of a goalie that played a couple of years ago, but not to many hockey players in that area.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

So here is a thought for the MNHSL for a rule change. If you play A during playoffs, you can only play X number of regular season games vs AA teams. Not sure what the right number is as you don't want to prohibit the Rapids vs Greenway or Roseau vs Warroad type of rivalry games, but does address the Hawks playing a largely AA schedule then moving down for playoffs. I would think 20% or 5 games would be sufficient, but those a lot smarter than I am could figure that out. If you want to play more regular season games vs AA teams, then you need to go AA. Call it the sandbagger rule!
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

MWS coach wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 pm So here is a thought for the MNHSL for a rule change. If you play A during playoffs, you can only play X number of regular season games vs AA teams. Not sure what the right number is as you don't want to prohibit the Rapids vs Greenway or Roseau vs Warroad type of rivalry games, but does address the Hawks playing a largely AA schedule then moving down for playoffs. I would think 20% or 5 games would be sufficient, but those a lot smarter than I am could figure that out. If you want to play more regular season games vs AA teams, then you need to go AA. Call it the sandbagger rule!
You would have to craft that rule as only so many non-conference games against AA schools. Some teams play in AA heavy conferences.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Hermantown school board minutes from 01/28/19:

RECOGNITION OF VISITOR BUSINESS
 Scott Pionk, a Hermantown resident and a parent of two former players and one current player,
spoke to the Board in regards to our High School Hockey Program. Mr. Pionk identified the
following facts: Our hockey team has qualified for the past nine state tournaments, we appeared in
eight consecutive finals from 2010 - 2017 and we won titles in 2016 & 2017. During this time
period we won 27 section playoff games with a combined score of 196-21. In the past month our
varsity and junior varsity compiled an aggregate score of 72-3 over our 7A opponents. Based on
these statistics he feels it's time we move up to Class AA now. Mr. Pionk referred to this as
interscholastic bullying.
 Brett Klosowski, President of Duluth Amateur Hockey Association spoke in regards to this issue as
well. Rules are being followed but they are allowing us to dominate. The Hockey Program is a
motivator for parents to want to open enroll their children for a great hockey experience and it is
hurting surrounding Districts. Surrounding Districts are losing students from hockey as they are not
passionate about hockey as they have no shot at the High School State Hockey Tournament.
 Ted Peterson, previous High School Hockey Coach from Proctor, spoke regarding why the two class
hockey systems were developed. Keep the competitive balance by allowing teams to opt up. Only
have to opt up for 2 years. Hermantown has grown immensely in the sport and it is impressive.
Hermantown is beyond Class A play despite our enrollment.
 Mathews asked Beth Clark to speak about the process of MSHSL placing for all Board Members

"Interscholastic bullying". Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you, Scott Pionk!
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:15 pm Hermantown school board minutes from 01/28/19:

RECOGNITION OF VISITOR BUSINESS
 Scott Pionk, a Hermantown resident and a parent of two former players and one current player,
spoke to the Board in regards to our High School Hockey Program. Mr. Pionk identified the
following facts: Our hockey team has qualified for the past nine state tournaments, we appeared in
eight consecutive finals from 2010 - 2017 and we won titles in 2016 & 2017. During this time
period we won 27 section playoff games with a combined score of 196-21. In the past month our
varsity and junior varsity compiled an aggregate score of 72-3 over our 7A opponents. Based on
these statistics he feels it's time we move up to Class AA now. Mr. Pionk referred to this as
interscholastic bullying.
 Brett Klosowski, President of Duluth Amateur Hockey Association spoke in regards to this issue as
well. Rules are being followed but they are allowing us to dominate. The Hockey Program is a
motivator for parents to want to open enroll their children for a great hockey experience and it is
hurting surrounding Districts. Surrounding Districts are losing students from hockey as they are not
passionate about hockey as they have no shot at the High School State Hockey Tournament.
 Ted Peterson, previous High School Hockey Coach from Proctor, spoke regarding why the two class
hockey systems were developed. Keep the competitive balance by allowing teams to opt up. Only
have to opt up for 2 years. Hermantown has grown immensely in the sport and it is impressive.
Hermantown is beyond Class A play despite our enrollment.
 Mathews asked Beth Clark to speak about the process of MSHSL placing for all Board Members

"Interscholastic bullying". Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you, Scott Pionk!
meanwhile in Beth Clarks office..................crickets chirping...............
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Great Post R2

Thank you
Bigfoot12

Post by Bigfoot12 »

Funny, Scott Pionk is a proctor guy and non of his kids were born in Hermantown. Moved there for the hockey. As far as Brett Klosowski he is a East guy whose program has been stealing players from other programs for 40 years.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Scott is more qualified than anyone to call out Hermantown on their sandbagging and hordes of open-enrollees and transfers. He really gets it.
Bigfoot12

Post by Bigfoot12 »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm Scott is more qualified than anyone to call out Hermantown on their sandbagging and hordes of open-enrollees and transfers. He really gets it.
You seem confused, sandbagging is a golf term whereas a good player plays bad to get in a lower flight to then beat the bad golfers. At no time has Hermantown played bad on purpose
They just have a better handicap than the rest of 7A
As do Montecello, Alex, Maht, SCC, Orono and many others I would be happier if you people would just admit that 7A has been a weak conference for years