Duluth East at Andover, Section 7AA Final

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

muckandgrinder65

Duluth East at Andover, Section 7AA Final

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Andover is home team at Amsoil-
Should be a 'dog fight'
Donovan and Lyle will be tough to contain.

hky17

Re: Duluth East at Andover, Section 7AA Final

Post by hky17 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:40 pm

4-2 andover empty net, if andover makes it they will be a top 4 seed at state no question.

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Lyle is on a tare right now. 6G 3A of the 12 goals scored by the hounds, and wow did he have some big hits today. If Lyle and Paine show up to hit like they did today, Andover will need all of the speed they have to slip past those two.

Donovan needs to maintain the possession like he did today. He did a great job of holding on to the puck when under pressure, although I wish he skated as fast as he can more often. Saw it maybe once or twice today. Open up the jets buddy.

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:30 pm

East 5-0 only one other team can win at Amsoil

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:58 pm

Northern pride on the line. More Southern teams in this section, it's time to alternate the finals to the South every other year. Have at it...

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 am

That guy for that thing wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:42 pm
. . . Donovan needs to maintain the possession like he did today. He did a great job of holding on to the puck when under pressure, although I wish he skated as fast as he can more often. Saw it maybe once or twice today. Open up the jets buddy . . .
IMO Donovan was the best player on the ice in either game at Amsoil on Saturday. I’ve been waiting to see that type of performance from him for nigh on two years now. He singlehandedly wrecked Cloquet’s 2nd period power play and effectively ended any notion of a Jacks comeback with his shorthanded goal - that's called 'Dominance.' If he skates any faster on Thursday, Andover players will require a lasso in a futile attempt to contain him. No one on the Huskies' roster (and obviously few teams in the state) can match his combination of speed, size and flair.
alcloseshaver wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:58 pm
Northern pride on the line. More Southern teams in this section, it's time to alternate the finals to the South every other year. Have at it...
Northern pride IS on the line here. No matter that there are more Southern teams in Section 7AA, this is still a Northern section. However, I'm starting to come around on the notion of alternating the semifinals/final. The paltry showing by Andover and Elk River fans was sad to see. And due perhaps to Duluth schools being on break this past week (East always seems to be on break at this time of the year), I was not too impressed with the size of the East contingent, as well. The players from Andover and Elk River deserved more hometown representation at Amsoil. Maybe the opposite would occur if a Southern site was in play every other year.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 am

Yea, my purple down 2-1 and going on the power play. 1:15 into it, Duluth East scores 2 shortys. And Ricky scores with under .10 remaining in the 1st period. Tough loss. Congratulations Duluth East. I’ll be pulling for the red and black against Andover that is for sure....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:10 pm

mnmouth wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 am
. . . Donovan needs to maintain the possession like he did today. He did a great job of holding on to the puck when under pressure, although I wish he skated as fast as he can more often. Saw it maybe once or twice today. Open up the jets buddy . . .
IMO Donovan was the best player on the ice in either game at Amsoil on Saturday. I’ve been waiting to see that type of performance from him for nigh on two years now. He singlehandedly wrecked Cloquet’s 2nd period power play and effectively ended any notion of a Jacks comeback with his shorthanded goal - that's called 'Dominance.' If he skates any faster on Thursday, Andover players will require a lasso in a futile attempt to contain him. No one on the Huskies' roster (and obviously few teams in the state) can match his combination of speed, size and flair.
alcloseshaver wrote:
Northern pride IS on the line here. No matter that there are more Southern teams in Section 7AA, this is still a Northern section. However, I'm starting to come around on the notion of alternating the semifinals/final. The paltry showing by Andover and Elk River fans was sad to see. And due perhaps to Duluth schools being on break this past week (East always seems to be on break at this time of the year), I was not too impressed with the size of the East contingent, as well. The players from Andover and Elk River deserved more hometown representation at Amsoil. Maybe the opposite would occur if a Southern site was in play every other year.
Isn’t it about time RD has been the best player on the ice? Where has that player been all year? I think Hunter Paine is (at least) equally important to DE’s prospects on Thursday. And Ricky Lyle is burying the puck. BUT, the last time DE played a team that could skate like Andover...was who? Tonka 😉 Paine missed most of that game & DE got semi-blown out ☝️It will be a great game Thursday night, that’s for sure...but it would be a mistake to underestimate Andovers team speed & quickness.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Also the last time DE played Andover, DE didn’t have Fitzgerald or Hagen.

newbauer

Post by newbauer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Great matchup. High flying Andover offense vs sound defensive East team. Might have to give the edge Andover because of goaltending. Not sold on East goalie.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Andover has been my 2nd favorite team to watch since the Braemer Summer Showcase last July.

However, right on que, DE is healthy, scoring, stars shining and Randolph has all possible line tweaks and strategy ready to go when it counts most.

Those Hounds are hungry...

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:26 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm
Andover has been my 2nd favorite team to watch since the Braemer Summer Showcase last July.

However, right on que, DE is healthy, scoring, stars shining and Randolph has all possible line tweaks and strategy ready to go when it counts most.

Those Hounds are hungry...
If the Hounds are hungry, then the Huskies are famished 😉 But the Hounds will be eating out of their home Dog Bowl

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:23 pm

A few comments to add to above ,

Biggest line in Mshsl history on display for hounds : JJ, Ryder , and JJ Jr.

Coach Manney is underrated , will be up to the assignment

With Luedtke , Doctor , and Koster out of the Trny , is Kaiser the best , or maybe second best ,single Dman left in the remaining field ?

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:55 pm

newbauer wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm
Great matchup. High flying Andover offense vs sound defensive East team. Might have to give the edge Andover because of goaltending. Not sold on East goalie.

If the goalie that gave up 8 to Blaine shows up - DE could be in for a tear. Was at that 8-2 Blaine thrashing of Andover and for whatever reason that whole Husky team folded. Will be a good game! That and Blaine/MapleGrove will be fun. Go Brodz!!

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:23 pm
. . . With Luedtke, Doctor, and Koster out of the Trny, is Kaiser the best, or maybe second best, single Dman left in the remaining field?
Yeah, he ranks right up there with Paine :mrgreen:

mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:54 am

mnmouth wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 am
WestMetro wrote:
. . . With Luedtke, Doctor, and Koster out of the Trny, is Kaiser the best, or maybe second best, single Dman left in the remaining field?
Yeah, he ranks right up there with Paine :mrgreen:
Let’s not forget Schweitzer at BSM. Very good.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:48 pm

WestMetro wrote:
A few comments to add to above ,

Biggest line in Mshsl history on display for hounds : JJ, Ryder , and JJ Jr.

Coach Manney is underrated , will be up to the assignment

With Luedtke , Doctor , and Koster out of the Trny , is Kaiser the best , or maybe second best ,single Dman left in the remaining field ?
Vorlicky at Edina is up there, albeit a bit underrated.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:10 pm
mnmouth wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 am
alcloseshaver wrote:
Isn’t it about time RD has been the best player on the ice? Where has that player been all year? I think Hunter Paine is (at least) equally important to DE’s prospects on Thursday. And Ricky Lyle is burying the puck. BUT, the last time DE played a team that could skate like Andover...was who? Tonka 😉 Paine missed most of that game & DE got semi-blown out ☝️It will be a great game Thursday night, that’s for sure...but it would be a mistake to underestimate Andovers team speed & quickness.
It almost makes you wonder if his College situation wasn't weighing him down. To de-commit and reopen the whole process has to be a lot for a kid to go through during the season. As soon as he made his decision, he looks like the player we all expected to see this year.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Ricky Lyle. I love this kid. What are the realities for this 218 puckster post high school?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm

kniven wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 pm
Ricky Lyle. I love this kid. What are the realities for this 218 puckster post high school?
NAHL, maybe the Wilderness, or Fairbanks, I seem to recall he played a couple games for them last fall.

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:06 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm
kniven wrote:
NAHL, maybe the Wilderness, or Fairbanks, I seem to recall he played a couple games for them last fall.
It's the Magicians. He's tendered there. I think he's going after the high school season ends.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Duluthguy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:06 pm
hockey59 wrote:
kniven wrote:
It's the Magicians. He's tendered there. I think he's going after the high school season ends.
Been to about 7 games. Magicians are a great spot for him. He joined them on their first Alaska trip. They are currently in first place. Jackson Jutting will join them as will potentially Jack Jensen. Matt Gleason joined them last game.

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:31 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm
Duluthguy wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

Been to about 7 games. Magicians are a great spot for him. He joined them on their first Alaska trip. They are currently in first place. Jackson Jutting will join them as will potentially Jack Jensen. Matt Gleason joined them last game.
I'm still surprised he hasn't committed yet. You see a lot of kids that have commitments already and this kid is unclaimed? He is ridiculously calm and reserved, from what I have read and seen from him, so I don't think any sort of attitude is the problem. Just confused a bit. Same with Paine. Crazy skill there and they both play smash mouth hockey. They will make any team nervous with the way they have hit this season. Lyle had at least 2 huge hits during the CEC game that I saw, and I was only getting glimpses. I assume Paine did as well. Those two should be locked up by now, IMO. The same thing happened to Mageau last year. Worth eventually, Lamaster and Donovan were all cleaned up. What is it with non-Hermantown kids in 218 not getting the commits?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Sounds as if Karl has passed on my advice from earlier in the season to Coach Randolph and capts - to please remember your Section 7 historical culture of hard and frequent clean forechecks and blue line hits are a must strategy for this huge 2018 Deast team without a pure goal scorer

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:31 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:13 pm
Duluthguy wrote:

I'm still surprised he hasn't committed yet. You see a lot of kids that have commitments already and this kid is unclaimed? He is ridiculously calm and reserved, from what I have read and seen from him, so I don't think any sort of attitude is the problem. Just confused a bit. Same with Paine. Crazy skill there and they both play smash mouth hockey. They will make any team nervous with the way they have hit this season. Lyle had at least 2 huge hits during the CEC game that I saw, and I was only getting glimpses. I assume Paine did as well. Those two should be locked up by now, IMO. The same thing happened to Mageau last year. Worth eventually, Lamaster and Donovan were all cleaned up. What is it with non-Hermantown kids in 218 not getting the commits?
Lyle is a really good HS player. What he will need to do in Juniors (and have the opportunity to do) is prove he has the speed (skating ability) and quickness to play D1. He is certainly physical, somewhat recklessly physical IMO. He has a good shot, good finishing ability and decent hands & plays for a HS program many Junior coaches like. But if he makes it to D1, he’s likely a bottom 6 guy, largely due to his skating limitations. I wish him only the best going forward, heard he’s a great locker room guy whom his teammates really like. Paine on the other hand...will play D1 somewhere (after a year or two of Juniors) no question about that in my mind. Paine is also an exceptional student academically, one of the top if not THE top student at DE. I definitely could see him being a D at a NCHC school or maybe an Ivy League school. Both have had great HS careers (so far) and represented DE very well 👍