2019 STATE TOURNAMENT

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Re: 2019 STATE TOURNAMENT

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Class AA Consolation Round - Semifinals

Farmington 2, White Bear Lake 1
Gopher recruit Claire Enright with the winning goal. White Bear's Calla Frank makes 47 saves on 49 shots.

Maple Grove 5, East Ridge 2
Lauren Stenslie and Tristana Tatur each with two goals. East Ridge outshot the Crimson 36-24, but could only get two past Lucy Morgan.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Girls state free stream: https://www.prep45.com/

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 pm

WOW! =D>

BRAINERD WINS!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:23 pm

Regretting big time that I had to miss tonight's games, which would appear to be the best of the tournament so far. With Andover out of running for the championship I bet Edina is feeling pretty confident. I do hope that Brainerd/LF gives them a real battle, but to win they will need the bounces to go their way.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:27 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:23 pm
Regretting big time that I had to miss tonight's games, which would appear to be the best of the tournament so far. With Andover out of running for the championship I bet Edina is feeling pretty confident. I do hope that Brainerd/LF gives them a real battle, but to win they will need the bounces to go their way.
Brainerd should play them tough. They can skate with anyone. They may not be as deeply skilled, but they typically outwork everyone.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 am

Remember, Brainerd came down to Braemer in December and won the Christmas tourney there. Didn’t face Edina because the Hornets lost to Breck. Brainerd beat the Mustangs the next round. It’s too bad Lindsey Booth is injured though - I still think it will be a good one but Brainerd is coming off a real high by knocking off Andover.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 am

Class A Consolation Championship
Fergus Falls 4, Rochester Lourdes 2

Class A Third Place
Proctor/Hermantown 5, Mound Westonka 3

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Class AA Consolation Championship
Maple Grove 5, Farmington 1 [Final]
Lauren Stenslie's two goals and two assists paces the Crimson to a 5-1 victory and the Consolation Trophy.

Class AA 3rd Place
Minnetonka 3, Andover 2 [Final]
Minnetonka's Emily Bayless scores two goals and adds an assist to lead the Skippers past Andover for the 3rd Place Trophy.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 pm

What a game in the AA final. Kudos to the Hornet for the 3-peat. Brainerd gave them an incredible game...wow. Major props to them for giving Edina all they could handle.

How was Olivia King not a Ms Goalie candidate...not even in the top ten?

HOW WAS OLIVIA KING NOT A MS. GOALIE CANDIDATE?!?!?!?!?

Congrats to the Mustang. I thought that they would win the A title since they lost to Warroad back before Christmas. Strength of schedule and their depth was a difference maker. I believe that non goal was a back breaker for them and was very unfortunate. I did not think that it would end up 6-1.

Breck is set up to win the next BUNCH of Class A titles. I predict they move up to AA in the 20/21 season.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:15 am

massalsa wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 pm
What a game in the AA final. Kudos to the Hornet for the 3-peat. Brainerd gave them an incredible game...wow. Major props to them for giving Edina all they could handle.
Going into the final I never would have expected Brainerd/LF to take Edina to overtime. Quite honestly I was expecting the game to be pretty much over by the end of the first period. WRONG! The Warriors played great, and how in the world wasn't Olivia King not a Ms. Goalie candidate? :wink:
massalsa wrote:
Congrats to the Mustang. I thought that they would win the A title since they lost to Warroad back before Christmas. Strength of schedule and their depth was a difference maker. I believe that non goal was a back breaker for them and was very unfortunate. I did not think that it would end up 6-1.
I doubt that anybody was expecting that kind of a score. But after seeing how they completely destroyed Mound Westonka in the semi, and seeing their skill, depth and teamwork, I honestly did think they were going to "upset" No. 1, but the 5 goal margin was very surprising.
massalsa wrote:
is set up to win the next BUNCH of Class A titles. I predict they move up to AA in the 20/21 season.
I must say that those are two very bold predictions! As the old saying goes, "time will tell". :)

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:20 am

By no means do I have any sort of heavy expertise in girls high school hockey being I only watch and follow it come tournament time, but just a few thoughts from a casual fan.

First, I can't agree more about the comments regarding this Olivia King. Quite honestly, I don't know who is exactly up for Ms. Goalie, but just by looking at the Brainerd schedule on MSHSL, clearly this girl was performing at a high level all year long with rarely giving up over two goals in most of their games and from the looks of it, they played some good competition from the cities along the way. Who exactly decides the players for the Ms. Goalie award and do they ever leave the metro to see what else is out there?

As for Breck, am I correct in assuming that the only reason they never used to make state every year is because Blake used to be in their section before moving up? Looks to me like Breck has had numerous good showings at state since 2008 and could easily compete well in AA. I know, I know all of the arguments for school enrollment and that makes them qualify for class A, but once again from the MSHSL site it looks like their schedule is more AA competition than A. From what I see, Breck might possibly be playing less Class A teams than Brainerd does, and Brainerd is in fact AA. With certain advantages that Breck has, they should move up to AA by 20-21 for sure. I know things happen in sports, but tuning in to see that Friday game between them and an undefeated supposed 3 seed in Mound Westonka was brutal. Something isn't quite right when a game between a number 2 and number 3 seed was by far the least competitive game of the entire 4 days that took place in the cities this week. It would be different if it were a fluke, but that definitely wasn't. The disparity in talent, especially speed, was no fluke in that game.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:51 am

dherman8 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:20 am
By no means do I have any sort of heavy expertise in girls high school hockey being I only watch and follow it come tournament time, but just a few thoughts from a casual fan.

First, I can't agree more about the comments regarding this Olivia King. Quite honestly, I don't know who is exactly up for Ms. Goalie, but just by looking at the Brainerd schedule on MSHSL, clearly this girl was performing at a high level all year long with rarely giving up over two goals in most of their games and from the looks of it, they played some good competition from the cities along the way. Who exactly decides the players for the Ms. Goalie award and do they ever leave the metro to see what else is out there?

As for Breck, am I correct in assuming that the only reason they never used to make state every year is because Blake used to be in their section before moving up? Looks to me like Breck has had numerous good showings at state since 2008 and could easily compete well in AA. I know, I know all of the arguments for school enrollment and that makes them qualify for class A, but once again from the MSHSL site it looks like their schedule is more AA competition than A. From what I see, Breck might possibly be playing less Class A teams than Brainerd does, and Brainerd is in fact AA. With certain advantages that Breck has, they should move up to AA by 20-21 for sure. I know things happen in sports, but tuning in to see that Friday game between them and an undefeated supposed 3 seed in Mound Westonka was brutal. Something isn't quite right when a game between a number 2 and number 3 seed was by far the least competitive game of the entire 4 days that took place in the cities this week. It would be different if it were a fluke, but that definitely wasn't. The disparity in talent, especially speed, was no fluke in that game.
In girls hockey there is a distinct advantage for metro teams with regards to travel. The biggest logistical problems for Northern teams are
1. Busing costs
2. Distance
3 Travel times
Which are not a big problem for metro teams. Most metro teams have to travel less than a half an hour to play top competition as opposed to a minimum of 3 hours for the northern teams.
Brainerd has an advantage over most northern teams as they are in the middle of the state and can make the trek to the cities to play better competition on multiple weekends, though it is still a huge expense. Communities Like Mound and others in class A are tied to their feeder programs so unlike the Brecks, Blakes, Hill Murrays, Benildes, Warroads,and the Holy Familes of the worlds who can recruit. They are tied to the cycles of numbers and talent levels coming through their programs. Yes I said Warroad Izzy has an unlimited budget and more importantly a 2 million square foot recruiting facility that pays its bonus at Christmas time and gives a two week break over the holidays.

slowD

Post by slowD » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:42 am

Facts are a little off on Warroad. I have a good friend that works there and I go up to visit him every year during the holidays and he uses a couple days of his vacation time to go fishing with me. Marvin Windows does not close for a 2 week break over xmas and if you consider having a factory in town that is hiring a recruitment tool than any town in Minnesota who has a business in town that is hiring would have a recruiting tool. What do you mean by unlimited budget? It costs a little over $31,000 a year to go to Breck. So their 20 person roster at state brought in $620,000 to the school. So if all 20 players spend 4 years at the school that is $2,480,000. I am sure not every student athlete is paying that, as I may be wrong, but have been told there are academic scholarships and there is also financial aid. Lets not forget there are also junior varsity players paying too. That is a lot of money and yet you claim Warroad has an unlimited budget. Just my opinion.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am

slowD wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:42 am
Facts are a little off on Warroad. I have a good friend that works there and I go up to visit him every year during the holidays and he uses a couple days of his vacation time to go fishing with me. Marvin Windows does not close for a 2 week break over xmas and if you consider having a factory in town that is hiring a recruitment tool than any town in Minnesota who has a business in town that is hiring would have a recruiting tool. What do you mean by unlimited budget? It costs a little over $31,000 a year to go to Breck. So their 20 person roster at state brought in $620,000 to the school. So if all 20 players spend 4 years at the school that is $2,480,000. I am sure not every student athlete is paying that, as I may be wrong, but have been told there are academic scholarships and there is also financial aid. Lets not forget there are also junior varsity players paying too. That is a lot of money and yet you claim Warroad has an unlimited budget. Just my opinion.
hey I used to live there and my son still does I know exactly what goes on.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 am

Speaking of Warroad...

I had to miss the Class A championship game, and have not seen the replay of the disputed goal, but it sounds as if David Marvin had a legitimate complaint. Apparently the ref/linesman lost sight of the puck and blew his/her whistle before the puck was covered? That happens - have seen it many times over the course of my hockey "spectator career".

Saturday notes from the X: Referee's calls irritate Warroad coach in 1A final
https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_a ... how/998200

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Congrats to Fergus Falls for winning the Class A consolation title on Saturday. As has been mentioned before, Fergus was given the short end of the stick in the seeding process. They were 4 and 5 in the QRF and KRACH rankings in Class A and, somehow, they are not seeded in the top 5 by the coaches. Nonetheless, Fergus Falls played Breck very tough, only losing 2-0 in the first round (Breck beat their other two opponents by a combined score of 17-2) before beating Mankato East and #5 seed Rochester Lourdes 4-2 in the consolation championship.

Why are we still a) only seeding five teams when everyone has access to all of the state's 117 teams' rankings and b) letting the coaches still vote when there are much less subjective options? Even with the coaches' votes, if all 8 teams had been seeded it's likely Fergus would have been #6, pitting them against Mound in the first round rather than Breck. Get rid of this silly, only seeding top 5 "don't want to offend anyone" policy and please seed every team objectively. Do you see college hockey coaches having a say in who they play in the NCAA tourney?

Again, congrats to the Otters - you deserved better. I hope you're reading this Erich Martens, Craig Perry, et al.

slowD

Post by slowD » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:49 pm

I have a tough time "knowing" what is going on in the town I live in and my kids are part of the high school sports scene. I am simply going off of what my buddy tells me. If you don't have a kid in the program I find it tough to truly know what goes on. Way too many rumors get started by going off hear say. I just don't see how you can put Warroad in the same class as Blake, Breck, Hill, and Benilde as far as budgets. How about Roseau? They have Polaris, Thief River Falls has Artic Cat and Digi-Key. Moorhead has numerous businesses. I am sure they all have inner workings and are trying just as hard to get skilled players to play for them.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:35 pm

I think IF/what Warroad does is cool and totally acceptable. The Marvins are passionate about Hockey and their community and they are trying to add value to their community in the form of sports. They don't seem to try and hide the fact that if someone is added to their community it helps their hockey teams. On the other hand you have the private schools who strip/steal from communities and they DO try to hide the fact that it's for the purpose of sport. I don't think many people believe those kids are going there for religion and academic success. The athletes at those schools aren't any smarter or any more religious than the public schools they pluck from. If you really want great schooling and religious surroundings you should send your kids to Edina or Mahtomedi.

davegopher16

Post by davegopher16 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:52 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 am
Speaking of Warroad...

I had to miss the Class A championship game, and have not seen the replay of the disputed goal, but it sounds as if David Marvin had a legitimate complaint. Apparently the ref/linesman lost sight of the puck and blew his/her whistle before the puck was covered? That happens - have seen it many times over the course of my hockey "spectator career".

Saturday notes from the X: Referee's calls irritate Warroad coach in 1A final
https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_a ... how/998200
Referee did exactly as the rules dicate, which the Tourney head of officials indicated. Coaches would want the same thing to happen if the potential goal was against there team. To use that as a crutch for losing is short-sighted.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:51 pm

davegopher16 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:52 pm
Referee did exactly as the rules dicate, which the Tourney head of officials indicated. Coaches would want the same thing to happen if the potential goal was against there team. To use that as a crutch for losing is short-sighted.
I wasn't arguing otherwise, just pointing out that the Warroad coach was.

Shotandagoal

Post by Shotandagoal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:59 am

Good to see that Fergus Fall finally cracked the Top 10 in the Hub/Let's play hockey rankings!
Congrats on a great year!

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:18 am

The Otters deserved it. Sure wish they would have received a proper seed in the tourney. It's time to take the politics out of it. Let's use KRACH. If colleges can use formulas and they are there at the HS level, let's take advantage of them.
The Central Lakes conference should be very competitive again next year. Is Brainerd/LF the favorite again? I hope Lindsey Booth can make a full recovery. IMO, Alex will be stronger with strong jr. and soph class next year.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:25 am

Yes, Fergus had a great year and deserved better on the seedings. Congrats to them for their season and a strong showing at State! Some really good families in that group as well!

As an Alex fan, it is great to see some more girls teams in our area get stronger. It makes us all better. We are graduating out of hockey this year, but you are correct that Alex should get stronger. The pipeline from the youth program is pretty strong and the returning players will form a rock solid team once again!