AA QF: #5 Duluth East vs. #4 St. Thomas Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Greyhounds
47%
Cadets
53%

Total votes: 49

MNHockeyFan

Re: AA QF: #5 Duluth East vs. #4 St. Thomas Academy

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:41 pm

In the contest I picked STA to win, but watching the game I thought Deast was clearly the better team. It just wasn't their night (two hard shots off the pipe where the goalie had no chance). While I was happy to get the win in the contest, as I was watching I was hoping for an Edina/Deast matchup in the semi, thinking it would be a more exciting matchup.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:21 pm
I’d say hounds played better game in most respects with more quality oppos, but couldn’t bury the puck. Donahue and pipe played a great game. Ryan O’NEILL shoots quickly and did bury the puck TWICE!
FYP West Metro 😉

50in15

Post by 50in15 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 am

Definitely felt like at times that east was controlling the play. Although, at times over the years , they fall in love with shooting 60 footers from the outside. Go to the net and good things happen. That is how they scored and what they were doing late but too often lots of shots from the outside IMO.

Heck of a game by Muzzy. Hope he can do it tomorrow

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:48 am

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:14 pm
So who the heck am I supposed to cheer for tomorrow night? Edina or STA?
I guess I’ll be cheering for the Hornets tomorrow night. STA recruits Wisconsin kids. Not sure if any are on this years team but know they have in the past. I’ll cheer for Minnesota tomorrow night.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 am

Not sure why Randolph broke up the Jones-Donovan-Jeannette line after the 1st period of last week's Andover game. Although it seems that Randolph was searching all year for a wing combination to best complement Donovan, I think he may have 'mad scientisted' himself out the best combo Donovan had all year. And then last night, he takes Baker from what had again become his regular 3rd line center spot and put him with Donovan, replacing Baker with Hoops. Had Hoops played center at all this year??? Head scratching moves that maybe Karl can answer.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:25 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 pm
Hockeywatcher123 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:14 pm
So who the heck am I supposed to cheer for tomorrow night? Edina or STA?
STAA. I actually root for them now since they manned up.. It would be cool to see the brothers win a title since they pushed for the move up..
Poor adjustment by East. They played to a 5 foot nothing goalies strength all night other than the 2 off the pipe. High slot was the ticket but Hounds transfixed on working/forcing everything down low.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 am

In Duluth East I saw a team that was fast, physical and sharp but couldn't score. From reading past DE threads, it seems this was an issue during the regular season as well.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 am

Thanks for spellcheck 59

That’s the story of their year Mite Dad

One thing that became pretty obvious in this game is that Deast players in many cases take too long to shoot the puck in tight space . Too many players trying to line up shot for too long, or turn their bodies for a better angle, or forehand vs back hand , or not confident in their one timer. Ricky Lyle the exception .

bauerman

Post by bauerman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:45 am

dear hockey watcher, would you care to name all the Wisconsin kids who have or are playing for STA. To my knowledge there has been one in the 100 years the school has been around.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 am

mnmouth wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 am
Not sure why Randolph broke up the Jones-Donovan-Jeannette line after the 1st period of last week's Andover game. Although it seems that Randolph was searching all year for a wing combination to best complement Donovan, I think he may have 'mad scientisted' himself out the best combo Donovan had all year. And then last night, he takes Baker from what had again become his regular 3rd line center spot and put him with Donovan, replacing Baker with Hoops. Had Hoops played center at all this year??? Head scratching moves that maybe Karl can answer.
In a game with TV timeouts, a team that struggled to score all season (against high end teams) couldn’t afford to leave a player of Bakers skill level playing 3rd line Center. Jones has played with as much heart as any DE player all season...but his hand skills are not top 6 caliber, that’s most likely why Randolph inserted Baker with Donovan & Jeanette. They didn’t score a 5x5 goal last night, DE played their butts off, but it wasn’t enough.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 am

It was a good game by both teams. STA just buried their chances while DE hit a couple of solid pipes.

Early on, I couldn't believe all the high hits by DE. Seemed like they were head hunting and finished every check with a hand/arm/elbow to the head. Good thing they settled down, otherwise this would have been similar to the Edina/MH game. Too many penalties make it awfully hard to play catch up. Also surprised at the brutal call on STA that resulted in the DE goal. Really bad call.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:56 am

bauerman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:45 am
dear hockey watcher, would you care to name all the Wisconsin kids who have or are playing for STA. To my knowledge there has been one in the 100 years the school has been around.
FYI, majority of the class of 2015 were the former Wisconsin Fires recruits, several of which were WI residents, including Tommy Novak who left early to play in the USHL and now with the Gophs. And there has been several other WI kids since then. However, current team makeup is mostly St. Paul kids who yes some have been recruited.

Keep in mind, the fact that STA is an all boys military school that has stringent academic standards helps attract athletes who also happen to play hockey.

deacon

Post by deacon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:29 pm

STA recruits for their entire enrollment, they have to. Otherwise, they wouldn't fill the seats in the classroom and the school would shutdown. From last nights broadcast it sounded like there are many two/three sport athletes on the hockey team. I'm pretty sure Muzzy Donahue is an all-state golfer and another kid has a football scholarship to North Dakota. This team seems to have a different make-up than some previous teams. No stars, senior heavy, ect...

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:46 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 am
It was a good game by both teams. STA just buried their chances while DE hit a couple of solid pipes.

Early on, I couldn't believe all the high hits by DE. Seemed like they were head hunting and finished every check with a hand/arm/elbow to the head. Good thing they settled down, otherwise this would have been similar to the Edina/MH game. Too many penalties make it awfully hard to play catch up. Also surprised at the brutal call on STA that resulted in the DE goal. Really bad call.
They only toned it down because Lyle got an interference call that even Lou Nanne was confused about. If Lou is confused on why DEast got a penalty it probably is a bad call. But the kids stopped trying to hit like the usually do. Kept STA in the game from a physicality stand point. Allowed for more of a speed game which is more to STAs benefit than DE.

bauerman

Post by bauerman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:58 pm

HOCKEYWATCHER ,i asked you to give me names of all the Wisconsin players who have played for STA , I said there has been one, Tommy Novak and that's it. Its really misleading to say STA recruits Wisconsin

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:17 pm

That guy for that thing wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:46 pm
BodyShots wrote:

They only toned it down because Lyle got an interference call that even Lou Nanne was confused about. If Lou is confused on why DEast got a penalty it probably is a bad call. But the kids stopped trying to hit like the usually do. Kept STA in the game from a physicality stand point. Allowed for more of a speed game which is more to STAs benefit than DE.
On the one PP Duluth East scored on (Lyle) was mixing it up with a STA player and the kid gives Lyle a little cross check and gets called for it, a weak call, based on the circumstances involved. But DE knew they couldn’t play WWE style (like the previous Thursday) or they’d of been forming a line to the penalty box 😉. That’s why they were forced to alter their style.

Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:45 pm

bauerman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:58 pm
HOCKEYWATCHER ,i asked you to give me names of all the Wisconsin players who have played for STA , I said there has been one, Tommy Novak and that's it. Its really misleading to say STA recruits Wisconsin
Dude that wasn’t me who said they have Wisconsin kids it was Stanleycup

bauerman

Post by bauerman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:45 pm
bauerman wrote:
Dude that wasn’t me who said they have Wisconsin kids it was Stanleycup
sorry buddy, still a little hungover celebrating last nights victory

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Nailed it 59.
A couple of knee on knees, a kick in goal, and a swan dive and It could have gone the other way.

deacon

Post by deacon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:05 pm

I thought it was physical the entire game, not chippy other than DE finishing hits with their forearms and elbows in the STA players heads for the first 10 minutes. That stopped but it remained physical, STA just didn't back down from the DE size. I was little surprised to see STA playing physical as well, not sure DE expected that. Best game I've seen in a long time.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:38 pm

BodyShots wrote:

Physically impossible when 6 foot plus meets 5 foot 4 inch lol :P
College game would have seen some DQ's.
Credit the refs they let this one flow. Highly entertaining to watch. Thanks Refs!!
2 very good teams. Go STA knock the cake out =D>

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 am

As others have said, East had their chances, but as has been the case all season, the finishing wasn't there. The Lyle penalty did seem to affect their physical edge some, but they still were in a position to win this game if they bury a chance or two. Hard to win games when you don't score 5-on-5.

I've been a little critical of STA since they moved up because I have always found them rather soft, both physically and defensively, and that has not been the case this season. You can get away with some of that in Class A, but not against AA Tourney teams. This year, that was not the case, and they did a lot of dirty work of shot-blocking and were physical enough. Throw in a great performance by Donohue and you're playing on Friday night. Credit to the Vannellis for making some changes in their final season.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:47 pm

bauerman wrote:
Sorry for not responding to your inquiry sooner. The class of 2015 STA team ended up with at least 7 kids from the 97 Wisconsin Fire team that disbanded back in 2011 or 2012. From this group, Novak, Broetzman and Jerry were all WI kids. Tufto who I believe came from the Chaska area and now playing for Quinnipiac probably has been the most successful player form this team.