Greenway vs Mahtomedi

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Greenway vs Mahtomedi - Who wins?

Greenway of Coleraine
54%
Mahtomedi of the metro
46%

Total votes: 24

Edinahopkins

Re: Greenway vs Mahtomedi

Post by Edinahopkins »

Wow congratulations greenway, hopefully they pull it off that would be two state championships for two small northern towns 5 miles apart hockey is still alive on the range people!!!!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Pretty good when Class A has the more interesting title game 2 out of the last 3 years... imo

Greenway!
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Greeeeeennnnwaaaaayyyy!!! 8)
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

Well that was Deja vu.Literally the exact same thing happened 1 year ago,great chance to win it with under a minute left in regulation...lose on the first shot in OT.Mahtomedi has to have the worst OT record in the state when it comes to the State tourney/Sections,I know we've never won in ot at state and I can't remember ever winning an ot game in sections.
Go Zephyrs
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

HSPuckFan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:28 pm Well that was Deja vu.Literally the exact same thing happened 1 year ago,great chance to win it with under a minute left in regulation...lose on the first shot in OT.Mahtomedi has to have the worst OT record in the state when it comes to the State tourney/Sections,I know we've never won in ot at state and I can't remember ever winning an ot game in sections.
Last year... 3-2 over Northfield in section semis.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

One of the most incredible games in any venue in any class that I’ve seen in many many years

The Number of storylines on each side in this game was unbelievable

Predicting Greenway to win tomorrow night on momentum and adrenaline, and team of destiny

Well done Raiders!!!
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

That's right that game did go to OT.I was thinking more so about section finals,I know TG beat us in 15,Red wing beat us in 02 STA in 98?I'm sure there's others.
Go Zephyrs
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

MrBoDangles wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:18 pm Pretty good when Class A has the more interesting title game 2 out of the last 3 years... imo

Greenway!
Last year’s wasn’t exactly chopped liver, either, after Alex vanquished big, bad Hermantown. It just so happened that the AA final was a star-studded matchup.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:39 pm One of the most incredible games in any venue in any class that I’ve seen in many many years

The Number of storylines on each side in this game was unbelievable

Predicting Greenway to win tomorrow night on momentum and adrenaline, and team of destiny

Well done Raiders!!!
Well stated Westy!!

AA has gone corporate in 2019 let's rock it in A =D>

GO GREEN!!!
GO BENGALS!!!!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Headed to see Blaine win as we speak
northwoods oldtimer

WestMetro wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:15 pm Headed to see Blaine win as we speak
:lol: :lol: Love it!! :lol: :lol:
defense

Post by defense »

The bit of the game that i was able to see was great! I have to say that i saw a nice clash of styles in this one and it was releiving to see the more "northern" free flow style of Greenway. Maybe free flowing is not the right word.. gritty, less defined, creative.... I could see the rink rat and the "grew up with eachother" come out in Greenway. Mahtomedi is everything a hockey team should be and I enjoy their style as well. They do everything right. And have the depth. Greenway should be proud to have beaten them.

A great game. Will be awesome tomorrow.
Otter Hockey Rocks
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Awesome job by Greenway. Beat another very good team.

The Guyer's and Jensen's have to be enjoying the rewards of the hard work they put in keeping that program alive.

Very well done. =D>
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

How was this crowd so pro- Greenway? I'd guess that under most opponents, Mahtomedi are the darlings, finally cruising to their first title, as it would be. Sure they're Metro, but they are the prototypical small school the two class format was made for.

Has Mahtomedi born the brunt of the crowd like that before?

I'd don't have a bit of affinity for Mahtomedi, but usually when the crowd is against one team like that, it's because they've been successful or upper crust folk. The average income might be fairly nice, but I don't think it Lake Minnetonka like.

Not a big, just a bit curious.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Dog

Post by Dog »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 pm How was this crowd so pro- Greenway? I'd guess that under most opponents, Mahtomedi are the darlings, finally cruising to their first title, as it would be. Sure they're Metro, but they are the prototypical small school the two class format was made for.

I'd don't have a bit of affinity for Mahtomedi, but usually when the crowd is against one team like that, it's because they've been successful or upper crust folk. The average income might be fairly nice, but I don't think it Lake Minnetonka like.

There were a LOT of Greenway people there, a LOT . There were also a lot of rangers. Plus there were people from Cloquet, Denfeld, Duluth East, etc (218'ers) cheering them on. It was a great game and fun to be mixed in with the crowd. I didn't hear anything nasty towards Mahtomedi even after they scored to go up 2-1 and started cheering "GoAway" (instead of "Greenway").

Mahtomedi is fairly close to the cutoff at around for AA at 1180 or so vs Greenway at roughly 290 so the other people who were cheering for them were probably just rooting for a small town. There must have been 6 or 7 different northern associations in my vicinity that were all high-fiving each other after the OT goal. I don't think there will be much Busch Light, Mich Golden or Bud Light left tonight in St Paul with that many rangers in town.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

The Gopher Bar reported that Greenway fans broke the record of beer consumption by drinking 45 cases of beer on Wednesday. I’m guessing a new record might be made today.
Dog

Post by Dog »

greenwayraider wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:13 pm The Gopher Bar reported that Greenway fans broke the record of beer consumption by drinking 45 cases of beer on Wednesday. I’m guessing a new record might be made today.
Lol. I heard that and also heard a lot of "see you at the Gopher". Curious, it's a bit off the beaten path, is there a Greenway connection there or something?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I have watched every championship round game of the tournament so far, including tonight's AA semi's in person, and I have to say that the Greenway/Mahtomedi game was by far the most exciting of them all.

Congratulations to the Raiders, and best of luck tomorrow against the Crusaders.
northwoods oldtimer

greenwayraider wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:13 pm The Gopher Bar reported that Greenway fans broke the record of beer consumption by drinking 45 cases of beer on Wednesday. I’m guessing a new record might be made today.

Bought fell of my chair laughing.
LOL you can't make this stuff up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta love them rangers.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

:lol: :lol: :lol: The Range at its best!

Not much to say about this Greenway team and its fan support that has not already been said. Their legs looked like they were shot late in the third period yesterday, but somehow they willed themselves to win, with Troumbly playing hero this time around. The best players in HS hockey often look like they're playing at a different speed, and his presence of mind to calmly collect the loose puck in OT and make a move to score a no-doubter instead of just hacking away was a prime example of that.

The collected towns behind the Greenway team are a sight to behold, and the number of people who have come out of the woodwork with all those ancient alumni letter jackets. During non-East games at State I tend not to be very emotive, but I'm one of the 218ers who's infiltrated the green-filled sections to add my voice. I'll do it again today. Cathedral is the most complete Class A team I've seen this year, including Hermantown, but the Raiders have found a way three games in a row now, so why not another?
blueline8

Post by blueline8 »

Wanted to see Mahtomedi but have had a soft spot in my heart for Greenway going all the way back to when Henry B. took on Edina. I think I was 11. Will never forget that game and what I thought was the dirtiest display of hockey ever...
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 pm How was this crowd so pro- Greenway? I'd guess that under most opponents, Mahtomedi are the darlings, finally cruising to their first title, as it would be. Sure they're Metro, but they are the prototypical small school the two class format was made for.

Any team that was a storied program during the glory years of HS Hockey (70’s-90’s) but has fallen off the map in the modern era is going to get support of the casual tourney go-er. For the older crowd, those are the teams they grew up watching. Especially the city schools or inter-ring suburbs. When it’s a northern school it generates yet more excitement, as we’re seeing with Greenway.

Also, Mahtomedi is essentially the Eden Prairie of class A. A somewhat wealthy community with one of the largest enrollments in their class. Loveable enough to cheer for against the evil empires like metro private schools (or Edina) but they’ll never be tournament darlings. They probably would have gotten good support today had they won yesterday.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Karl above may have had the best line of the Forum tourney remarks so far:

" Troumbly with....... presence of mind to calmly collect the loose puck in OT and make a move to score a no-doubter instead of just hacking away....."
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

I know this is a little late, but I have been attending many of these games and have been enjoying the atmosphere at many of the fine establishments when not at the X which has kept me busy from checking out this site. I was in attendance yesterday and have a story that just needs to be told. Take from it what you will.

I attended yesterdays games with a buddy of mine. We started out the first period by the Mahtomedi student section even though we were pulling for Greenway. We ended up moving to the section that had many adult Greenway fans. After spending 2 periods of sitting in this section and listening to a little girl, maybe 7 or 8 years old, keep saying "Go Greenway" every 45 seconds (which would normally sound annoying, but in this case was absolutely wonderful), Greenway was finally able to net the winning goal. Everyone knows how the crowd went berserk, but nothing was better than witnessing the middle aged couple sitting in the row ahead of us. I have no idea what their affiliation was to Greenway, but the woman with a big smile on her face was crying tears of joy. She couldn't stop it. She was trying as she wiped the tears from her face. We watched her do this for a several seconds before she buried her face in her husband's chest. My buddy and I couldn't help but watch and laugh at how fantastic that sight was, and of course her husband caught us and joined in with our laughing. To us, seeing this is what makes this tournament so great. Such a one of a kind sight that I don't think I will ever forget even though I have no affiliation with the town of Greenway in any way.