Eden Prairie vs Blaine

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Eden Prairie vs Blaine - Who wins?

EP
18%
Blaine
82%

Total votes: 22

hockey59

Re: Eden Prairie vs Blaine

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 am
Agree That Brodzinski penalty was a terrible call, looked more like a no call or a flop or lost edge bad ice in that area , or if a penalty more of a hook than a trip, but then changing the call to crosscheck which never occurred just added salt to the wound , plus took best player off ice fir two
Blaine was up 2-0 and on the PP, if they go up 3-0 they likely win. #9 for Blaine gets blatantly cross checked in front of the net, a bit surprisingly resulting in a no call. Then #9 nails a EP kid in retaliation at the side of the net just as his teammate is walking out with the puck, refs are gonna call that 90% of time. Point is up 2-0, your playing EP, you take the hit and reposition yourself to screen the goalie, not let your emotions get the best on you. EP subsequently scored on the PP and the entire game pivoted and changed because of that unfortunate sequence. After that EP got rolling & next thing you know a 2-0 lead becomes a 2-4 deficit. EP also on the penalty kill decided they would stay close to #22, not give him a clean release on his shot and force the other Blaine PP unit players to beat them & Blaine failed to adjust to this strategy by EP. Richels with a beautiful move and snipe to cut the deficit to one goal, but too little, too late for the Bengals ☝️

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:36 am

Had heard Blaine is deep 3 lines and had the best line in the state. They aren't and they might have. Unfortunately they weren't playing their best hockey today. From what I saw they would also struggle against Edina's puck possession game. All teams did.
Be kind. Rewind.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:05 am

Okay this thread is worthless to read thru

It's a bunch of Blaine fans bitching about the ref.. oh well.. I hope the forum isn't coming to this

I pulled this up to hopefully read a bunch of thoughtful comments and suggestions

All I read was grown men (okay i'm assuming these are grown men writing this) cry cry cry

If anyone NOT from Blaine and NOT thinking the refs were in it for blaine has any comments on the game, please speak up now

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:54 am

EP has caught fire this tourney. Really thought Blaine had it in the tank to make title run. Oh well that is hockey.

Anybody going to Edina- Eden Prairie are in for a treat. This is a big heated rivalry which I have had good fortune to catch on a Saturday night at Braemar in December over the years.
Some years we get an all 218 and this year we get an all 952 affair with the added twist of a rivalry game. Enjoy people!!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:20 am

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:36 am
Had heard Blaine is deep 3 lines and had the best line in the state. They aren't and they might have. Unfortunately they weren't playing their best hockey today. From what I saw they would also struggle against Edina's puck possession game. All teams did.
I agree with this. Blaine was the one AA Tourney team I had somehow not seen this season, but based on their late season performance I bought the hype. EP was clearly the deeper team, and while there's certainly some elite talent on that top Blaine line that allows them to finish in a blink, they also had moments where they faded away. I came away less convinced than I had been the Brodzinski should be the one claiming Mr. Hockey on Sunday.

The penalty situation was a killer, certainly, but EP was the superior team.

50in15

Post by 50in15 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 am

Don’t have a team in this fight. That was the worst reffereed game in recent memory. Did it effect the final result? I don’t know and we will never know that is the disappointment.

I re-watched a little last night when I got home and the calls were mysterious to say the least.

Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:08 am

Blame the refs all you want it won't change the game. Different referees would have called the game different, human nature. Consequently players need to adjust there physicality and reactions according to the referees calls. Obviously, it didn't go Blaine's way. Imagine Parise retaliating everytime he gets beat up in front of the net he probably would be in the sin bin more often than none. Your always gonna get the call if you retaliate ( not saying the EP player wasn't in violation also). Appeared to me Richels was the better player for Blaine in this tournament

buttonupyrovercoat

Post by buttonupyrovercoat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:16 am

That Richels shortside snipe might be the goal of the tourney for me so far. No idea how he got that in.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:18 am

Nobodyonya wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:08 am
Appeared to me Richels was the better player for Blaine in this tournament
Yep.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:27 am

Agree with ButtonUP. Unbelievable move and almost impossible shot. Richels hit a similar short sider ,from the opposite side, on a PP with an opening no bigger than a couple pucksizes to win the Maple Grove game at Aldrich. If this kid doesnt have D1s knocking at his door after this season and post season, Ill be amazed.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:28 am

Unfortunately bad officiating has been possibly the biggest topic of this tournament. Lou Nanne commented in the EP/LS QF game about how good the officiating always is in the tourney, and a big part of that is that they rarely make many calls in a game and fortunately the kids on the ice play the game in a way that makes that possible. He was exactly right.

In this tourney for some reason the officials have decided to become part of the event and in a few of the games have made a solid handful of calls that just didn’t need to be made. And unfortunately, optically, in each case the majority of the calls were against one team.

The best officials are those you don’t notice. The officials have been very noticeable this year.

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 pm

50in15 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 am
Don’t have a team in this fight. That was the worst reffereed game in recent memory. Did it effect the final result? I don’t know and we will never know that is the disappointment.

I re-watched a little last night when I got home and the calls were mysterious to say the least.
Until the State Referee association ir whatever it is comes out and apologizes, the Tonka/DE game takes the cake last year.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:19 pm

That guy for that thing wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 pm
50in15 wrote:

Until the State Referee association ir whatever it is comes out and apologizes, the Tonka/DE game takes the cake last year.
Still butt hurt Tonka was BETTER than DE huh? :roll: 😂

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:29 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:19 pm
50in15 wrote:

Tonka was the better team but the referees association came out and said that was the worst officiated game. They apologized. That's what I was getting at.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 pm

=P~
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:29 pm
hockey59 wrote:

Tonka was the better team but the referees association came out and said that was the worst officiated game. They apologized. That's what I was getting at.
Always an excuse 😉 And the excuse Thursday was they didn’t let DE mug STA (like the Iron Range officials let them mug Andover) then throw in a CHERRY 🍒 PP 30 seconds into OT to boot? Got it...LMAO ☝️

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Link?

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 pm
=P~
hockey59 wrote:

Always an excuse 😉 And the excuse Thursday was they didn’t let DE mug STA (like the Iron Range officials let them mug Andover) then throw in a CHERRY 🍒 PP 30 seconds into OT to boot? Got it...LMAO ☝️
That mugging is called finishing checks and playing physical. That is northern hockey through and through. And that cherry penalty was a stick between the legs. Easy must make call

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm
hockey59 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 pm
=P~

That mugging is called finishing checks and playing physical. That is northern hockey through and through. And that cherry penalty was a stick between the legs. Easy must make call
And hanging legs on two early knee to knee hits, I suppose that’s just clean hockey, playing physical too huh? Funny how the refs swallowed the whistle on those, then call an embellished belly flop 30 seconds in to OT, but I digress needlessly. Tonka was a better team than DE last year, End of Story. Mike is one hell of a coach, but the Title drought exceeds that of Blaine, ER, Anoka & (god I hate to say this) Centennial...put that in your pipe and smoke it along with all your other EXCUSES for getting beat at State 😉

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:30 am

hockey59 wrote:

Huh.