Cathedral vs Greenway

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cathedral vs Greenway for Class A final

Poll ended at Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Cathedral
33%
Greenway
67%

Total votes: 18

Eastgreaser

Cathedral vs Greenway

Post by Eastgreaser » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:57 pm

Who wins?
Last edited by Eastgreaser on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eastgreaser

Re: Cathedral vs Greenway

Post by Eastgreaser » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Fun fact....Greenway legend Mike Antonovich coached the 1994 Cathedral State Tournament team in Class A.

HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Definitely pulling for Greenway,love seeing the range teams do well.Lawson is so fun to watch.
Go Zephyrs

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Back on Dec 7th, these two teams met at the Snake Pit. SCC won 5-3, the shots were 31-31, and I don't see any notable names from either side missing from the scoresheet. Two things stand out from that game:

1. Greenway outshot SCC 13-4 in the third, suggesting that fatigue from lack of depth did not hurt the Raiders in that matchup.

2. Different Greenway goalie in that game. Wright has been excellent this postseason (.928 sv %), so perhaps he can be a difference maker this time around.

Greenway is clearly playing much better than they did during the early part of the season, but SCC has loads of talent and is certainly humming along so far in the tourney.

Should be a great one.

Go Raiders!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:49 am

Eastgreaser wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 pm
Fun fact....Greenway legend Mike Antonovich coached the 1994 Cathedral State Tournament team in Class A.
That's awesome. Good trivia.
Be kind. Rewind.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:08 am

This is easily the longest I have ever pulled for Greenway in about 50 years. :lol:

I hope they have one more in the tank. No matter the outcome-what a great ride.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Rules experts :

Is there no time limit on the amount of time until the next whistle before reviewing a disallowed goal to see if the disallowance would hold up or not?

Raiders fortunate After that loss of momentum to regain momentum, tie the game, and start on a power-play.
Last edited by WestMetro on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Darn near saw an entire games worth of turn of event and momentum swings in one period. My goodness what does period 2 and 3 have to offer.................stay tuned :!:

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:16 pm

I’m biased as a Class A junkie, but I’ll take this game any day of the week over yet another Lake Conference rematch, even though the AA championship may be objectively “better” hockey.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Stang, in this case for sure... And that’s coming from the West Metro

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Yup...
Public School Champs!

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Well darn. It was impossible not to root for Greenway. They gave a heck of an effort, but unfortunately it was not to be. The conditioning and sheer force of will required to continuously roll two lines against top competition was amazing.

At the same time, congratulations to Cathedral on their first title. There are some exceptionally talented players on that team, and they came together and played some impressive hockey down the stretch.

jdh

Post by jdh » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:16 pm
I’m biased as a Class A junkie, but I’ll take this game any day of the week over yet another Lake Conference rematch, even though the AA championship may be objectively “better” hockey.
You won't find better hockey than the one we just saw. Hats off to two talented teams for some fine entertainment.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:22 pm

I'll take Cathedral. 5-3 or something close...

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:56 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm
Rules experts :

Is there no time limit on the amount of time until the next whistle before reviewing a disallowed goal to see if the disallowance would hold up or not?

Raiders fortunate After that loss of momentum to regain momentum, tie the game, and start on a power-play.
Such a weird situation. So in theory, you could play 5, 6, 7 minutes or longer and then have to go back to replay it all after the replay reversal.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:21 pm

Talking to a couple people today, theoretically if this had occurred early in the third, And no whistles occur until the end of the contest, It wouldn’t have gotten review till the end of the game after Greenway thought they won It

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:55 pm

It would have been phenomenal if Greenway could have pulled it off but you can only pull so many rabbits out of a hat.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:28 pm

Joe2015 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:56 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm
Rules experts :

Such a weird situation. So in theory, you could play 5, 6, 7 minutes or longer and then have to go back to replay it all after the replay reversal.
Very weird, unfortunate, and devastating in a sense. It made this one goal feel like two.

Dog

Post by Dog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 am

pekyman wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:38 pm
Yup...
Public School Champs!
With all of the great story lines you waited a day to post that !?!? .... That might be your claim to fame but not these blokes. Why didn't you congratulate GW after the game when they beat one of the "unbeatable teams from the cities" from Mahtomedi?

They ran out of steam, it is what it is. They might not be able to reload next year like you do. Am I hearing right that you're "scouting/recruiting" for a goalie right now for your "Home Grown" "A" team? Seriously.

Congrats Greenway! You played with great heart, got beat tonight but won over so many people in the state. Story of the tourney this year, A or AA, without question. You were a fun team to watch. Good luck to your young men in the future!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 am

Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 am
pekyman wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:38 pm
Yup...
Public School Champs!
With all of the great story lines you waited a day to post that !?!? .... That might be your claim to fame but not these blokes. Why didn't you congratulate GW after the game when they beat one of the "unbeatable teams from the cities" from Mahtomedi?

They ran out of steam, it is what it is. They might not be able to reload next year like you do. Am I hearing right that you're "scouting/recruiting" for a goalie right now for your "Home Grown" "A" team? Seriously.

Congrats Greenway! You played with great heart, got beat tonight but won over so many people in the state. Story of the tourney this year, A or AA, without question. You were a fun team to watch. Good luck to your young men in the future!
This!
Well stated Dog =D> =D> =D>

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Difficult as the (correctly called) Greenway no-goal and SCC goal replay sequence was, I thought the real turning point in this game was Greenway's inability to do much with the major penalty in the 2nd. After that didn't go their way they immediately took a penalty themselves, and then they went down two and never fully recovered. That stretch seemed to take its toll on the defense in particular, and by the end of the second they looked completely out of gas. To their remarkable credit, they were still pushing the pace in the 3rd, but never could get back within one. What a run.

Congrats to Cathedral on a well-earned championship. They were the best team in Class A that I saw this year (including Hermantown), with strength at every position. After a shaky moment or two early, Amundson really locked in for them in goal. If their core stays in high school, a repeat is a very real possibility.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:25 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm
Difficult as the (correctly called) Greenway no-goal and SCC goal replay sequence was, I thought the real turning point in this game was Greenway's inability to do much with the major penalty in the 2nd . . .
Yep. By the time the major occurred, Raiders already looked gassed. They could not sustain any pressure, nor barely even set up, in Cathedral's zone. Cathedral was able to readily and easily switch out their penalty killers, all of whom had more energy than Greenway's power play unit.

Also, feel bad for Greenway's #15 who was directly responsible for the Crusaders' 3rd goal. He fanned on his clearing attempt along the boards, was eliminated from the play and Cathedral scored seconds later for the 3-2 lead. Not sure the kid had played at all during the tournament up to that point, and he definitely did not see the ice after this play.
Last edited by mnmouth on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:05 pm

mnmouth wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:25 pm
karl(east) wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm
Difficult as the (correctly called) Greenway no-goal and SCC goal replay sequence was, I thought the real turning point in this game was Greenway's inability to do much with the major penalty in the 2nd . . .
Yep. By the time the major occurred, Raiders already looked gassed. They could not sustain any pressure, nor barely even set up, in Cathedral's zone. Cathedral was able to readily and easily switch out their penalty killers, all of whom had more energy than Greenway's power play unit.

Also, feel bad for Greenway's #15 (Ty Donahue?), who was directly responsible for the Crusaders' 3rd goal. He fanned on his clearing attempt along the boards, was eliminated from the play and Cathedral scored seconds later for the 3-2 lead. Not sure the kid had played at all during the tournament up to that point, and he definitely did not see the ice after this play.
Yeah, that was very unfortunate. I was asking people around me if I'd really seen the right number on that play, since I hadn't seen him on the ice before or after that. Very tough situation to get thrown into if that was his only ice time in the Tourney.

One of the perks of watching a team with only ten regular skaters is that you get to know each of those ten and their abilities very well in a short amount of time. I watched them 2 or 3 times in the regular season and then in their last five playoff games, and I feel like I almost know them as well as the East players.