AA title: Edina vs EP

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Champ?

Edina
70%
Eden Prairie
30%

Total votes: 23

DadsMoney

AA title: Edina vs EP

Post by DadsMoney » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:34 am

Who wins?

Edina won three match-ups this year:
- 6-1 Holiday Classic
- 5-2 @ EP
- 7-2 @ Edina

To think this will be as lop-sided as those games would be flawed. Will be a hard-fought game, but I think Edina will prevail. The combination of Nevers/Jungels and Chorske/Malmquist has been impressive. But the most overwhelming aspect of Edina's game has been its team defense. They do a great job forcing the puck to periphery of D-zone and forwards are very disciplined in support of defenders in the neutral zone. My prediction is Edina wins 4-1 (en) if they can stay out of the penalty box.

MNHockeyFan

Re: AA title: Edina vs EP

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 am

It seems like Edina is so much better than any other high school team in the State, there is no possible way they can lose to a merely good-but-not-great team like Eden Prairie.
I'll say 7-1 Hornets in a snooze-fest.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:44 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 am
It seems like Edina is so much better than any other high school team in the State,
They are beatable, but your comment means I'll give you a lot more credibility than people who slight the kids just because they don't like or are jealous of Edina. This is a great HS team with a real solid D corps and some creative skilled F. If people appreciate hockey they should love the way they play. Instead a lot of comments about not wanting to watch or distorting reality (like the 3 people who told me Duluth East-St. Thomas speed was 'much faster' than Edina....teams that possess the puck for long spells don't look that fast even if they can skate fast).

No pressure tomorrow on the Eagles. I'm sure the margin in those 3 losses will be forgotten two shifts into the game. The goals don't carry over.
Be kind. Rewind.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:45 am

You never know, I think EP had a much better team in 2016 & a better team in 2017 than this years version of EP, and they got beat both times, so if EP somehow pulls off the upset tomorrow, it will be as ironic as it will be dramatic☝️To this point, best game I witnessed all season was Tonka vs Edina at Braemar, not sure what happened exactly to Tonka after HDM, but I’d of preferred that Lake Conf Final compared to tomorrows. But again, who knows, maybe EP will embrace the role of spoiler and get it done when the 16 & 17 EP teams couldn’t...

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 am

hockey59 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:45 am
You never know, I think EP had a much better team in 2016 & a better team in 2017 than this years version of EP, and they got beat both times, so if EP somehow pulls off the upset tomorrow, it will be as ironic as it will be dramatic☝️To this point, best game I witnessed all season was Tonka vs Edina at Braemar, not sure what happened exactly to Tonka after HDM, but I’d of preferred that Lake Conf Final compared to tomorrows. But again, who knows, maybe EP will embrace the role of spoiler and get it done when the 16 & 17 EP teams couldn’t...
Yeah, when the X put the tweet from Casey Mittelstadt up on the scoreboard the other day showing his support for the Eagles, a few of us in the stands wondered how much he *really* wants EP to win and have his younger brothers holding that over him... :lol:

Edina has clearly been the class of the field through two games. My one concern is that they have had chances to really put away both Moorhead and STA, but instead let both hang around, and both games had somewhat interesting finishes. Playing with fire can get you into trouble eventually. EP does have the forward depth to stick around, and did so for a while in the one of the three regular season meetings I watched before the wheels came off late. They don't have the D corps the Hornets do, so they have much less margin for error in back than Edina, but the upset is at least possible if they stick around. At the very least familiarity should prevent EP from feeling like they're out of their element against the Hornets.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:05 am

5-1 Edina. The actual championship game of the tourney was played Thursday night at 6:00.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:53 am

karl(east) wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 am
hockey59 wrote:
Yeah, when the X put the tweet from Casey Mittelstadt up on the scoreboard the other day showing his support for the Eagles, a few of us in the stands wondered how much he *really* wants EP to win and have his younger brothers holding that over him... :lol:

Edina has clearly been the class of the field through two games. My one concern is that they have had chances to really put away both Moorhead and STA, but instead let both hang around, and both games had somewhat interesting finishes. Playing with fire can get you into trouble eventually. EP does have the forward depth to stick around, and did so for a while in the one of the three regular season meetings I watched before the wheels came off late. They don't have the D corps the Hornets do, so they have much less margin for error in back than Edina, but the upset is at least possible if they stick around. At the very least familiarity should prevent EP from feeling like they're out of their element against the Hornets.
Big rivalry game so hopefully this one turns out to be a classic battle.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 am
hockey59 wrote:

I'd argue that, at least last night, it was more STA's resolve and fight in the third period that kept them in the game over Edina slacking off. For two periods Edina knocked STA back into single A and looked like one of the best high school teams I've ever seen, but it's difficult to attain that level of play over a full game and to their credit STA kept pushing to get themselves back in the game. If Edina had finished either or both of the breakaways they had in the third we wouldn't even be discussing Edina's ability to finish a team off. Personally, I was really impressed with Edina's effort over the whole game, I felt they were skating as hard in the third as they were in the first and you don't always see that when a team is as dominant as they were in the first two periods.

It pains me to say it, but from a pure hockey perspective this Edina team is really fun to watch as they combine skill with really great team play.
It's hard to win when you always lose.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:05 pm

This old guy really enjoyed that first period.
Hope everyone is enjoying last game of the season!!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 pm

This ex section 7 flannel shirter watching comfortably in the man cave in the west metro
tonite . Looks like a classic lake conference battle with many twists and turns ahead .

Drew Holt is the real deal for Eden Prairie, a year ago he was piling up points as a Bantam and along with Batchelder and Luke M Took EP to the final of the bantams state tournament

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Edina looks horrendous, what's going on here?

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Edina is lucky to just be down one after two periods. Getting out worked tonight. EP is forechecking them hard and Edina can't exit the D zone clean or complete a pass. Even offensively, they keep missing sticks or put it in the feet with passes. They have to stay out of the box too, whenever they start getting a little momentum they have taken a penalty, forcing them to play more D.
They are lucky to be down just one, still plenty of time to wake up and show that explosive offense.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Well said Green4

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 pm

green4 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:49 pm
Edina is lucky to just be down one after two periods. Getting out worked tonight. EP is forechecking them hard and Edina can't exit the D zone clean or complete a pass. Even offensively, they keep missing sticks or put it in the feet with passes. They have to stay out of the box too, whenever they start getting a little momentum they have taken a penalty, forcing them to play more D.
They are lucky to be down just one, still plenty of time to wake up and show that explosive offense.
Edina needs to reunite the 1st line of Nevers, Juengels and Malmquist if they want explosive offense. I know I’ll regret saying this but Nevers has been invisible this whole tournament.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Edina woke up and scores two goals within 30 seconds. Jensen had an opportunity to put EP up 2, but missed an open net. Not sure EP wasn’t offside anyway.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Now we got a game - tied at 2 on goal by EP’s Shultz.
Ryan

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:53 pm

What a season for Eden Prairie hockey. Although they took Edina to OT in the championship and lost, they overachieved this year. Never did I think EP would be playing for a championship this year. They have a bright future with Holt and Bachelder shown growth over the last month of the season. Along with the Mittelstadt brothers, this will be a very good team next year.
Ryan

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 pm

ryguyMN wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:53 pm
What a season for Eden Prairie hockey. Although they took Edina to OT in the championship and lost, they overachieved this year. Never did I think EP would be playing for a championship this year. They have a bright future with Holt and Bachelder shown growth over the last month of the season. Along with the Mittelstadt brothers, this will be a very good team next year.
Totally agree, great late season surge for EP! Well done! The cupboard is full next 2 years, prospects look good, especially with the departures that occurred (this year)!at MG. ☝️ But Edina is the best team in 2019, and 😎 to see a 3rd line winger with 2 goals, including the GWG! 👍

DadsMoney

Post by DadsMoney » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:04 pm

EP really kicked ass tonight. I was way off about them from the moment seeding came out calling them most overrated team in tourney. Hats off to them on a great tourney and a promising team for '19-'20.

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Instant classic....So sorry I couldn't make it this year.
Buy ya a soda after the game!

green4

Post by green4 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Edina woke up in the third. They were lucky Jensen missed the open net, and they were a little loose in back, but I could feel they were gonna get one and next thing you know they had two.
On a night where the top guys were maybe just off the mark, the role players of Edina come through. Big equalizer from Deleaney who had a great season and then Colby takes the lead 22 seconds later.
A crazy last minute of regulation where Malmquist has a breakaway, then EP gets a good look and closing out is Colby getting tied up and just missing the winning goal with a second left. But Colby would get redemption in Overtime, coming in on a line change, he just finds the soft spot in the coverage, right in the sot and Jungles hits him with the pass. He does not wait at all before letting it go.

On a night where Eden Prairie took it to them for most of the game, Edina finds a way. All they needed was that small window in the third period, and they got it. It is hard to beat a team four times in a year, but they found a way.

Over the years, some Edina teams have been criticized for having some weak goaltending, that the goalie has been the Achilles heal of some really good teams. Tonight, they got great goaltending. Without Hogg, they would have never had a chance to make the comeback in the third period.

Here's to title number 13 for the Hornets

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:24 pm

Hey, Edina now has the same number of HS State Titles (13) as Superior😉😳 But I must admit, the competition they’ve faced in achieving this matching number...was damn near INFINITELY tougher 🤣 :lol: Congrats to the 🐝

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:27 pm

deleted double post
Last edited by hockey59 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 pm

I am not an Edina fan.....
It was not a very good game for two periods, one team getting 7 shots (or so) will do that. The third period and overtime made up for that however and was very very good. EP not being able to get more than one goal while dominating two periods of hockey ended up being the difference.
I think the South goalie should get the all tournament nod but without the Edina goalie playing as well as he did in the one game Edina is not the champions.

57special

Post by 57special » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Hogg is the best goalie I've ever seen play for Edina. Ironic that almost all the big D1 commits were near invisible for this game (except for the wrong reasons), and that the goal scorers were second and third liners on both teams. Schultz has become one of my favorites, and have always loved Delaney. Doesn't shock me a bit that he found a way to make a difference when it mattered.

Chorske had a great pass on Colby's 1st goal, and while he didn't get an assist on the 2nd, he totally screened the goalie on the winner.

Both goalies were terrific.

EP did everything right except win. Life sometimes isn't fair.