AA title: Edina vs EP

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Champ?

Edina
70%
Eden Prairie
30%

Total votes: 23

57special

Re: AA title: Edina vs EP

Post by 57special » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:52 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 pm
I am not an Edina fan.....
It was not a very good game for two periods, one team getting 7 shots (or so) will do that. The third period and overtime made up for that however and was very very good. EP not being able to get more than one goal while dominating two periods of hockey ended up being the difference.
I think the South goalie should get the all tournament nod but without the Edina goalie playing as well as he did in the one game Edina is not the champions.
Agreed on the goalies. LS guy was unreal.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:58 pm

57special wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:50 pm
Hogg is the best goalie I've ever seen play for Edina. Ironic that almost all the big D1 commits were near invisible for this game (except for the wrong reasons), and that the goal scorers were second and third liners on both teams. Schultz has become one of my favorites, and have always loved Delaney. Doesn't shock me a bit that he found a way to make a difference when it mattered.

Chorske had a great pass on Colby's 1st goal, and while he didn't get an assist on the 2nd, he totally screened the goalie on the winner.

Both goalies were terrific.

EP did everything right except win. Life sometimes isn't fair.
Odds have a tendency of evening out. Fair is fair, EP outplayed but probably should have lost to South ( quick whistle) and Blaine (horrid officiating) then they outplayed Edina and lose.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Hogg gave up fewer rebounds tonite than any time I’ve seen him this year . Well done!

Also , wanted to mention thought this was a well refereed game. Can’t remember a single whistle I thought was questionable

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm

Ogie wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:05 pm
Instant classic....So sorry I couldn't make it this year.
The “classic” statement needs to not be thrown around every time a game goes to overtime. Let’s be realistic here, it was quite dull for a majority of the game with Eden Prairie dominating and really should have been up more than 1 to 0 going to the third period. Edina showed up for 30 seconds of the third period with two goals and a few good chances and the again for the game winning goal. It’s not like Edina was missing exciting chances the first 40 minutes of the game, they barely generated a thing in that time. Definitely exciting spurts in the 3rd period and overtime due to the next goal wins feel, but its hard to say it would be exciting to rewatch those first two periods to get to those spurts in the 3rd period and overtime.

DadsMoney

Post by DadsMoney » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:10 pm

dherman8 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm
Ogie wrote:
The “classic” statement needs to not be thrown around every time a game goes to overtime. Let’s be realistic here, it was quite dull for a majority of the game with Eden Prairie dominating and really should have been up more than 1 to 0 going to the third period. Edina showed up for 30 seconds of the third period with two goals and a few good chances and the again for the game winning goal. It’s not like Edina was missing exciting chances the first 40 minutes of the game, they barely generated a thing in that time. Definitely exciting spurts in the 3rd period and overtime due to the next goal wins feel, but its hard to say it would be exciting to rewatch those first two periods to get to those spurts in the 3rd period and overtime.
:roll:

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:14 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:02 pm
Hogg gave up fewer rebounds tonite than any time I’ve seen him this year . Well done!

Also , wanted to mention thought this was a well refereed game. Can’t remember a single whistle I thought was questionable
I wholeheartedly agree. In a tournament that ran the risk of officiating being the main topic, we had a game where the play is the main topic.

Unfortunately, how we got here is a topic that needs discussion on multiple levels.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:40 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 am
It seems like Edina is so much better than any other high school team in the State, there is no possible way they can lose to a merely good-but-not-great team like Eden Prairie.
I'll say 7-1 Hornets in a snooze-fest.
I hope you didn't snooze because it was far from a "snooze fest".

57special

Post by 57special » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:48 pm

My wife had a great comment about the game. She said, "The players who made the big plays were the ones who had nothing to lose."

Colby was running around like a dog after a squirrel. No fear. Schultz? Same thing, though in a different way. Holt...a sophomore who just ripped a shot w/o thinking.

Wasn't the hero for the 2010 Edina team a guy named Walsh, a 3rd liner?

LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:53 pm

I would call it a “classic” I was on the edge of my seat from the puck drop. You might forget this game could have been 2-1 60 seconds in!!! EP did dominate but that didn’t take anything away from the game. The fact the underdog was so dominant added to the intensity. TONS of scoring chances and action, and Edina goalie was spectacular. Last second of regulation goal would have been epic but EP defenseman made a great play to stop the Edina forward. I hope he remembers that one because it was a hell of a play. Funny that Colby got it in the end anyways though. I thought it was a thriller of a game!

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 pm

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:14 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:02 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. In a tournament that ran the risk of officiating being the main topic, we had a game where the play is the main topic.

Unfortunately, how we got here is a topic that needs discussion on multiple levels.
How about this level. Blaine choked like they always do and we're totally dominated by an Eden Prairie team that beat them twice this season.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:17 am

57special wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:48 pm
My wife had a great comment about the game. She said, "The players who made the big plays were the ones who had nothing to lose."

Colby was running around like a dog after a squirrel. No fear. Schultz? Same thing, though in a different way. Holt...a sophomore who just ripped a shot w/o thinking.

Wasn't the hero for the 2010 Edina team a guy named Walsh, a 3rd liner?
Walsh got the goal to put Hill Murray away in the 2013 state championship game. He was a 3rd liner I believe.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:42 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:40 pm
MNHockeyFan wrote:
It seems like Edina is so much better than any other high school team in the State, there is no possible way they can lose to a merely good-but-not-great team like Eden Prairie.
Guess it depends on ones perspective but I thoroughly enjoyed the pace and the physical play of this game. Topped off with an OT =D>

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:52 am

Give Eden Prairie credit, they've given us the best three finals of this past decade (2011, 2016, 2019). Their aggressive forecheck really set the tone, and they used their depth to their advantage. If they'd managed to make it 2-0, I don't think Edina comes back. But they let the Hornets hang in there, and then in a flash, they were up. It was great to see all the unsung heroes step up, especially on an Edina team that frankly did not have the raw talent on their lower lines (especially when Giles reunited Malmquist with Nevers and Jungels in the 3rd) as some of their past champions. And I've made a few references over the course of the year to goaltending being Edina's Achilles heel, and nothing in Hogg's performance in the quarters and semis dissuaded me from that feeling, but he really came to play in this one and deserves a lot of credit.

Congrats to the Hornets, who were the best team in AA down the stretch and earned this title. When they were rolling, as they were early against St. Thomas, they were unstoppable, and when they weren't, they found ways...which separated this group from last season's edition that couldn't finish the deal.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:52 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:40 pm
MNHockeyFan wrote:
You're right, it turned out to be a real nailbiter, which I didn't expect at all. For whatever reason, in the first two periods Edina did not look like Edina at all, in part due to the way EP was playing them so tough. So yeah I didn't do a very good job forecasting how the game would play out, but at least I came in second in the Tourney Contest this year, so there's that! :)

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:10 pm

dherman8 wrote:
Ogie wrote:
I’m generally on board with this sentiment. While I wouldn’t go so far as to say that most of the game was dull, the level of play was below expectations for two teams with that much talent. Edina floundered around for over two periods without generating any real offensive threats, and Hogg repeatedly saved their bacon (sorry, bad pun). And for as much as EP controlled play, they missed a few golden opportunities to put some distance between themselves and the Hornets. Both teams took multiple stupid/lazy penalties that broke up the game flow and also nullified a few PP chances.

Yes, the latter half of the third period and OT were exhilarating once Edina finally woke up, but I wouldn’t recommend that someone slog through those first two periods if they wanted to experience the state tournament at its finest.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 pm

EP has a bright future, Edina was lucky to grab the championship this year because they probably don't have the talent returning next year to get out of sections.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Did the EP kids whip out the "Where's your girls team?" in the first two periods? How about "Daddy's money"?

I agree that "instant classic" is over used. And I'm not sure how a game becomes classic some time afterward, any way.
Hockey Is For Everyone

DadsMoney

Post by DadsMoney » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:18 pm

I do agree that folks these days love hyperbole, but it shouldn't take anything away from the kids effort as both sides played with all they had.

I feel like "classic" is entirely subjective. Any state title game for your hometown team ought to be a classic regardless of the score. The Edina/LVN title game from 2014 was far from a great game but it's a classic to me for sentimental reasons.

Then again there are some games (ie, Greenway/Mahtomedi SF) that are ripe with non-stop action and some intangible that makes it so you can't stop watching. These games are "instantly classic" as one wouldn't want to turn the channel if it was televised for a replay.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:10 pm
dherman8 wrote:
Ogie wrote:
I’m generally on board with this sentiment. While I wouldn’t go so far as to say that most of the game was dull, the level of play was below expectations for two teams with that much talent. Edina floundered around for over two periods without generating any real offensive threats, and Hogg repeatedly saved their bacon (sorry, bad pun). And for as much as EP controlled play, they missed a few golden opportunities to put some distance between themselves and the Hornets. Both teams took multiple stupid/lazy penalties that broke up the game flow and also nullified a few PP chances.

Yes, the latter half of the third period and OT were exhilarating once Edina finally woke up, but I wouldn’t recommend that someone slog through those first two periods if they wanted to experience the state tournament at its finest.
Yes Hogg saved their bacon but Colby and Delaney didn't come up short 8)

LetMeEatCake

Post by LetMeEatCake » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 am

DadsMoney wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:18 pm
I do agree that folks these days love hyperbole, but it shouldn't take anything away from the kids effort as both sides played with all they had.

I feel like "classic" is entirely subjective. Any state title game for your hometown team ought to be a classic regardless of the score. The Edina/LVN title game from 2014 was far from a great game but it's a classic to me for sentimental reasons.

Then again there are some games (ie, Greenway/Mahtomedi SF) that are ripe with non-stop action and some intangible that makes it so you can't stop watching. These games are "instantly classic" as one wouldn't want to turn the channel if it was televised for a replay.
Completely agree that it’s subjective! Was a senior at Edina in ‘14 and to be at EHS during a string of tournament appearances and championships in not just hockey sticks in my mind every time I think of my high school days.
I can have my cake and eat it too.