Hello. My name is BeauKnowsHockey…

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BeauKnowsHockey

Hello. My name is BeauKnowsHockey…

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Pleased to meet you all! I am excited to join this forum community and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and give you all a little backstory before I start diving in.

My name is Beau Marchwick. I am 33, married with one kid (girl, almost 2yo). Born and raised in Owatonna. 7 years of college in Mankato. Current Woodbury, MN resident, but likely to move to Stillwater/Mahtomedi/WBL within the next 5 years or so (wife is from Stillwater). I am a CNC Machinist by trade, and a hockey junkie. Those are the details a few of you might care about, but what MOST of you will care about is that I am a volunteer for EliteProspects.com (EP).

Proof: https://www.eliteprospects.com/about

I joined the EP volunteer staff back in November of 2015. At the time I was a Play by Play announcer for the Saint Croix Valley (SCV) Magicians in the USPHL. The previous year I had studied abroad in Sweden and fallen in love with EliteProspects. I knew what it was capable of in Sweden, but when I was searching for my players on SCV in the EP database half of them weren’t even in the database, and the other half had spotty information (Missing a season, on a team with no stats, height was 4 years old, etc.). I thought to myself, “Self, this is the state of hockey where high school hockey reigns supreme! How is there no information on any of them?!” So I took it upon myself to offer some assistance.

Since then, I have found a purpose in my life. I started out just updating USPHL information, but quickly noticed the black hole of information that was Minnesota High School hockey and found the hockey hubs ripe for the picking with stats back to 09-10 season. It took me 2 years (15-16, and 16-17) to update Boys hockey back to 09-10, and another year (17-18) to update girls hockey back to 09-10 which brings me to this season. The stats started running dry, I’m not sure how many of you have tried to find stats on the internet older than 09-10, but man they are hard to come by and incredibly iffy… I realized that I needed to step out from my cave and actively seek out his information. So I started @BeauKnowsHockey on Twitter to create a social media presence, and created a matching gmail account. I followed everyone. Started cultivating some relationships, and have subsequently stumbled upon his gem of a forum multiple times.

That brings me to about a month ago when I decided to join the forum, and I have been creeping ever since. I have been a part of a few forum communities, and I know how tough it can be as a newcomer to assimilate. No one likes the new guy that comes in acting like he owns the place. I am going to be the first to admit that I didn't really come to like High School hockey until being immersed in it these last few years with EP. I’m from Owatonna…. Southern MN when I was in high school is not known for the hockey tournament. Owatonna was a wrestling school in the Winter. We made it to state once for Hockey, but that was before my time. Girls hockey was strong, but very poorly attended.

My knowledge of high school hockey does not go deep. I won’t be chiming in on many of those conversations on this forum, but I would like to connect with many of you and use your knowledge to help continue making the coverage of MN HS hockey on EP the BEST around. I have seen our site quoted a few times on this forum, and this makes me incredibly proud. Before joining EP I wasted a lot of my free time on inconsequential things. Now I feel like I am helping out a community that I truly love and feel is worthwhile. There are bad days when I get the typical idiotic request to bump someone’s stats up, or someone tells me they were injured for 10 games so it looks like they have more PPG. You name it, I have probably heard it. But there are great kids out here who think it is so cool to have a profile and just want to say thank you. Or that Lake of the Woods is not the name of a town in MN!

Anyway. This got really long winded. I am not known for being very concise which is why I like Twitter because it generally forces me to be concise. Now that you guys know a bit about me, Ask me anything. I am an open book.

TL:DR I am a volunteer for eliteprospects.com and I love Minnesota Hockey.
Minnesota based volunteer for EliteProspects.com

elliott70

Re: Hello. My name is BeauKnowsHockey…

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Welcome.

Keep your posts shorter and stay away from
TTpuckster
Karl
and the hockey DJ

everyone else is ok (mostly ok).

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:42 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pm
Welcome.

TTpuckster
Karl
and the hockey DJ

Thank you!! My other posts will definitely be shorter! I promise!

And (un)fortunately, Karl is probably one of the few people that can vouch for me, since he helped me out with Duluth East Captains.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/311 ... cy-history

And a few other spreadsheets of DE data!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:55 pm

BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:42 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Welcome.

TTpuckster
Karl
and the hockey DJ

And (un)fortunately, Karl is probably one of the few people that can vouch for me, since he helped me out with Duluth East Captains.

Too bad about Karl, he knows nothing of Section 1AA.
He doesn't even know that Duluth east side is no where near the metro.

:D

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:31 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:55 pm
BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:42 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Welcome.

TTpuckster
Karl
and the hockey DJ

Too bad about Karl, he knows nothing of Section 1AA.
He doesn't even know that Duluth east side is no where near the metro.

Huh. Name dropping this soon, albeit just Karl? Color me curious. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm

east hockey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Lee
Dangit! I knew I was going to make some sort of rookie mistake right out of the gate!

I am a big fan of your’s Lee, love your candidness on twitter and love your work on Minnhock.com

It is still on my long lists of bookmarked sites to datamine on a rainy day after I take care of other side projects of mine!

Edit* I didn’t claim to be friends with karl. Just that he had helped me once, and through that help he can prove that I am who I say I am.

-Beau

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 pm

BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Dangit! I knew I was going to make some sort of rookie mistake right out of the gate!

I am a big fan of your’s Lee, love your candidness on twitter and love your work on Minnhock.com

It is still on my long lists of bookmarked sites to datamine on a rainy day after I take care of other side projects of mine!

Edit* I didn’t claim to be friends with karl. Just that he had helped me once, and through that help he can prove that I am who I say I am.

-Beau
Yes, but be careful he is a liberal, ultra liberal.

But I am pretty sure his wife voted for Trump.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:23 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Welcome.

TTpuckster
Karl
and the hockey DJ

Haha Elliott nailed it :wink:

Welcome aboard glad to have some newcomers join the ranks.

Bookmark the site it will pretty quiet now that season is over.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 pm
BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee

-Beau
Yes, but be careful he is a liberal, ultra liberal.

But I am pretty sure his wife voted for Trump.
She did it as a joke. Sort of like when Ventura was elected guv of Minnesota. [-X [-X

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:51 pm

There's only one Bo (Beau?) that knows hockey... Let me know if any help is needed... :wink:

Welcome!

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:19 pm

BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee

-Beau
LOL...I had to look to see who you are on Twitter. Getting to prefer that platform to this Forum and Facebook lately. More entertaining and informative.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 pm

east hockey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:19 pm
BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee

-Beau
LOL...I had to look to see who you are on Twitter. Getting to prefer that platform to this Forum and Facebook lately. More entertaining and informative.

Lee
Shame on you.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Well look at you guys all fighting for the attention of the new kid at school. :lol:

Welcome Beau. We are not all dorks.

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 pm

zooomx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Well look at you guys all fighting for the attention of the new kid at school. :lol:

Welcome Beau. We are not all dorks.
I am very fluent in dork... as a stats guy. I love spreadsheets!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Welcome, Beau! As has been alleged on this thread, he and I have chatted recently. Anyway, as someone who's done some dives into old stats and tried to dig some up here and there myself, I think his project is pretty great, and the more of this we can get, the better. I'm sure there are some people on this board who are sitting on some good old info that can help expand our sense of high school hockey history. So, if you do have useful stuff, pass it along!

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm

You are not a full-fledged member unless you make a comment on the Hermantown Thread. 😁

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm
You are not a full-fledged member unless you make a comment on the Hermantown Thread. 😁
I hope you are happy. I also hope people will understand my sarcasm. Probably not...

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 am

BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:24 pm
Pleased to meet you all! I am excited to join this forum community and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and give you all a little backstory before I start diving in.

My name is Beau Marchwick. I am 33, married with one kid (girl, almost 2yo). Born and raised in Owatonna. 7 years of college in Mankato. Current Woodbury, MN resident, but likely to move to Stillwater/Mahtomedi/WBL within the next 5 years or so (wife is from Stillwater). I am a CNC Machinist by trade, and a hockey junkie. Those are the details a few of you might care about, but what MOST of you will care about is that I am a volunteer for EliteProspects.com (EP).

Proof: https://www.eliteprospects.com/about

I joined the EP volunteer staff back in November of 2015. At the time I was a Play by Play announcer for the Saint Croix Valley (SCV) Magicians in the USPHL. The previous year I had studied abroad in Sweden and fallen in love with EliteProspects. I knew what it was capable of in Sweden, but when I was searching for my players on SCV in the EP database half of them weren’t even in the database, and the other half had spotty information (Missing a season, on a team with no stats, height was 4 years old, etc.). I thought to myself, “Self, this is the state of hockey where high school hockey reigns supreme! How is there no information on any of them?!” So I took it upon myself to offer some assistance.

Since then, I have found a purpose in my life. I started out just updating USPHL information, but quickly noticed the black hole of information that was Minnesota High School hockey and found the hockey hubs ripe for the picking with stats back to 09-10 season. It took me 2 years (15-16, and 16-17) to update Boys hockey back to 09-10, and another year (17-18) to update girls hockey back to 09-10 which brings me to this season. The stats started running dry, I’m not sure how many of you have tried to find stats on the internet older than 09-10, but man they are hard to come by and incredibly iffy… I realized that I needed to step out from my cave and actively seek out his information. So I started @BeauKnowsHockey on Twitter to create a social media presence, and created a matching gmail account. I followed everyone. Started cultivating some relationships, and have subsequently stumbled upon his gem of a forum multiple times.

That brings me to about a month ago when I decided to join the forum, and I have been creeping ever since. I have been a part of a few forum communities, and I know how tough it can be as a newcomer to assimilate. No one likes the new guy that comes in acting like he owns the place. I am going to be the first to admit that I didn't really come to like High School hockey until being immersed in it these last few years with EP. I’m from Owatonna…. Southern MN when I was in high school is not known for the hockey tournament. Owatonna was a wrestling school in the Winter. We made it to state once for Hockey, but that was before my time. Girls hockey was strong, but very poorly attended.

My knowledge of high school hockey does not go deep. I won’t be chiming in on many of those conversations on this forum, but I would like to connect with many of you and use your knowledge to help continue making the coverage of MN HS hockey on EP the BEST around. I have seen our site quoted a few times on this forum, and this makes me incredibly proud. Before joining EP I wasted a lot of my free time on inconsequential things. Now I feel like I am helping out a community that I truly love and feel is worthwhile. There are bad days when I get the typical idiotic request to bump someone’s stats up, or someone tells me they were injured for 10 games so it looks like they have more PPG. You name it, I have probably heard it. But there are great kids out here who think it is so cool to have a profile and just want to say thank you. Or that Lake of the Woods is not the name of a town in MN!

Anyway. This got really long winded. I am not known for being very concise which is why I like Twitter because it generally forces me to be concise. Now that you guys know a bit about me, Ask me anything. I am an open book.

TL:DR I am a volunteer for eliteprospects.com and I love Minnesota Hockey.
Welcome! Hey if you are free tonight, join us at 9:00 on the ninth green!

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:57 am

Joe2015 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 am

Genius.

Hey forum moderator... have you seen Joe around? I just gotta beat the living 🤬 out of him!

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 am

BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:57 am
Joe2015 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 am

Genius.

Hey forum moderator... have you seen Joe around? I just gotta beat the living 🤬 out of him!
You want a piece of me, old man?? :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006