Coaching changes 2019/2020

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mnnstar

Re: Coaching changes 2019/2020

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:55 am

highgloveside wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:35 pm
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with that? or are you just trying to make my point? My point is none of those girls got better at hockey when they reached the High school level and yes those girls were good when they were younger. My other point in all of this is we need to stop saying to ourselves it's just girls hockey it's no big deal. It is a big deal to more and more young ladies every year. That being said, coaches need to be helping them be become better hockey players to go along with all the I'm a nice person it's all about the fun and I get a stipend from it.
My point was a small number of parents got caught up with keeping their little group together instead of growing the program as a whole. Two of my close friends have girls who are juniors and no longer play hockey. They can rattle off a number of players who either left to play other places or gave up the game altogether before HS because of they way the girls side of the association was run. In most associations the HS coach has to put his/her faith in the people running the association as it runs parallel to the HS season. Whether it be boys or girls you need people to put their personal agenda aside and work for the good of the program. According to the people I know close to the White Bear youth program that faith was misplaced. The best example I can point to is gopher assistant women's coach moved his daughter to Zepherland after 10's but still lives in WBL. At least 8 quality players left after 10's.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 am

Or Gal, Maybe you should resign if it hurts you so bad :(

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm

1. Hastings
2. Brainerd/LF
3. Proctor/Hermantown
4. Woodbury
5. Stillwater
6. Minnetonka
7. Moundsview
8. Northfield
9. Chaska/Chanhassen
Last edited by LZ94 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:47 am

Mnnstar wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:55 am
highgloveside wrote:
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with that? or are you just trying to make my point? My point is none of those girls got better at hockey when they reached the High school level and yes those girls were good when they were younger. My other point in all of this is we need to stop saying to ourselves it's just girls hockey it's no big deal. It is a big deal to more and more young ladies every year. That being said, coaches need to be helping them be become better hockey players to go along with all the I'm a nice person it's all about the fun and I get a stipend from it.
My point was a small number of parents got caught up with keeping their little group together instead of growing the program as a whole. Two of my close friends have girls who are juniors and no longer play hockey. They can rattle off a number of players who either left to play other places or gave up the game altogether before HS because of they way the girls side of the association was run. In most associations the HS coach has to put his/her faith in the people running the association as it runs parallel to the HS season. Whether it be boys or girls you need people to put their personal agenda aside and work for the good of the program. According to the people I know close to the White Bear youth program that faith was misplaced. The best example I can point to is gopher assistant women's coach moved his daughter to Zepherland after 10's but still lives in WBL. At least 8 quality players left after 10's.
By the way Mnnstar I spoke with someone who knows of the situation with the u-10 -12's team of years past and he confirmed there was a blow-up of the girth youth program at that time because of serious miscommunication with director and coaches. This guy says it was a top 5 type u-10 team that vanished in the course of a week. Not sure how it all happened but he did confirm your point. My kid was a couple years ahead of that and has been gone from HS for 2 years but I still keep up with youth and HS as I still have close pals within. In short, you were correct that there was a disconnect with the youth and HS which is inexcusable for both ranks.

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:43 am

1. Hastings
2. Brainerd/LF
3. Proctor/Hermantown
4. Woodbury
5. Stillwater
6. Minnetonka
7. Moundsview
8. Northfield
9. Chaska/Chanhassen
10. Totino-Grace
11. White Bear Lake
Last edited by LZ94 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Minnesota based volunteer for EliteProspects.com

WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 am

highgloveside wrote:
Not sure where you were going with that line, but it couldn't be farther from the truth in this situation. First, I happen to know the WBL coach a bit and because of his professional career, he wasn't allowed to accept money for the position, so he wasn't getting a stipend and was coaching because he loved coaching.

Second, I don't know what high school coaches are supposed to do these days. If you are hard on a player at practice or in a game, the next day your email inbox is flooded with things saying you were "too hard on the player and need to back off" from their own parents. You can't really have it both ways. It's not like he doesn't know how to coach hockey. He took his daughter's youth team to a state championship in u12 before becoming the head coach at WBL and has a long history of coaching back to his playing career.

It sounds like you just have some personal vendetta for him so you are throwing stuff at a wall hoping it sticks.

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:17 pm

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 am

1. Hastings
2. Brainerd/LF
3. Proctor/Hermantown
4. Woodbury
5. Stillwater - Miro Jalosuo
6. Minnetonka
7. Moundsview
8. Northfield
9. Chaska/Chanhassen
10. Totino-Grace
11. White Bear Lake
12. Cambridge

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 am

Sources tell me former Stillwater head coach Tony Schied has applied for the Minnetonka job

Well Driller

Post by Well Driller » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:07 am

Steve Persian has been named Breck Head Coach.

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 am

Well Driller wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:07 am
Steve Persian has been named Breck Head Coach.
I didn't even know the Breck position was on the block!

- Beau

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 pm

WBLPuck99 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 am
highgloveside wrote:
Not sure where you were going with that line, but it couldn't be farther from the truth in this situation. First, I happen to know the WBL coach a bit and because of his professional career, he wasn't allowed to accept money for the position, so he wasn't getting a stipend and was coaching because he loved coaching.

Second, I don't know what high school coaches are supposed to do these days. If you are hard on a player at practice or in a game, the next day your email inbox is flooded with things saying you were "too hard on the player and need to back off" from their own parents. You can't really have it both ways. It's not like he doesn't know how to coach hockey. He took his daughter's youth team to a state championship in u12 before becoming the head coach at WBL and has a long history of coaching back to his playing career.

It sounds like you just have some personal vendetta for him so you are throwing stuff at a wall hoping it sticks.
After watching this crap show the last couple of years, I will attest that these girls have learned nothing when they got to the high school level, with the exception of bad habits...coaching is about giving kids tools and options on how to do things better. Its about showing them how to compete. Its about teaching skills and techniques to all the players at all the different skill levels on your team. You can't teach systems to kids who have no skills. Put simply, it doesn't matter how good your power play is designed, especially if your kids can't give or catch a pass. Lets be real, WBL had 4 division 1 players on this years roster. 2 of which were U.S. National Team players. How do you have a losing record going into playoffs with that much talent? How many teams even have 4 D-1 players on their roster? They got into the state tournament purely on the fact that section 4 (namely Hill Murray) was down in talent....And even then, Frank still had to make 50 saves to beat HM. So don't try and tell everyone what a great coaching job was done this year at WBL, couldn't be farther from the truth.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am

Hansonbrother wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 pm
WBLPuck99 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 am
highgloveside wrote:

After watching this crap show the last couple of years, I will attest that these girls have learned nothing when they got to the high school level, with the exception of bad habits...coaching is about giving kids tools and options on how to do things better. Its about showing them how to compete. Its about teaching skills and techniques to all the players at all the different skill levels on your team. You can't teach systems to kids who have no skills. Put simply, it doesn't matter how good your power play is designed, especially if your kids can't give or catch a pass. Lets be real, WBL had 4 division 1 players on this years roster. 2 of which were U.S. National Team players. How do you have a losing record going into playoffs with that much talent? How many teams even have 4 D-1 players on their roster? They got into the state tournament purely on the fact that section 4 (namely Hill Murray) was down in talent....And even then, Frank still had to make 50 saves to beat HM. So don't try and tell everyone what a great coaching job was done this year at WBL, couldn't be farther from the truth.
SO...did you get your resume up to date Hansonbrother to submit for the head coaching position?

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Something tells me Hansonbrother has a resume far superior to that of the person in question. Maybe your a coach yourself upfan? Or Maybe your just complaining about someone complaining? which would put you squarely in the same position.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Add Wayzata to the list

pucker88

Post by pucker88 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 pm

Add Burnsville and remove Minnetonka

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:28 am

Who got hired for the Skippers?

pucker88

Post by pucker88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 am

Cassano from Burnsville

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:59 am

1. Hastings
2. Brainerd/LF
3. Proctor/Hermantown - Emma Stauber
4. Woodbury
5. Stillwater - Miro Jalosuo
6. Minnetonka - Cassano
7. Moundsview
8. Northfield - Paige Haley
9. Chaska/Chanhassen
10. Totino-Grace
11. White Bear Lake
12. Cambridge
13. Burnsville
14. Wayzata
15. Hutchinson
Last edited by LZ94 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 pm

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 pm

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Hutchinson and Wayzata? Where are their coaches going? anyone know?

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:34 pm

highgloveside wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:16 pm
Something tells me Hansonbrother has a resume far superior to that of the person in question. Maybe your a coach yourself upfan? Or Maybe your just complaining about someone complaining? which would put you squarely in the same position.
Funny you bring up my resume...you're correct, it is way better. Boys and girls high school, trips to the dance, and a championship.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Read carefully, your not the "person in question". Good for you your a dancer =D>