The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bardown27

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by bardown27 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:51 am

kniven wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:08 am
Hermantown has got 40 kids on the HP teams from HP14 up to HP17. Impressive 😳
You're a clown.
14s just started selection process, hasn't even been broken down to top 30 yet (the top 30 start skating April 1), with final district spring festival team selected April 15th.
15s just started selection process, hasn't even been broken down to top 30 yet (the top 30 start skating April 1), with final district spring festival team selected April 12th.
7A/AA 16s have their last tryout session from 11:40-2:10 today, so roster isn't posted or decided yet.
7A/AA 17s have their last tryout session from 9-11:30 today, so roster isn't posted or decided yet.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 pm

The spew coming out of the mouth of the Cloquediot today has been legendary:

Accuses a program of building housing for incoming recruits and now throws around numbers of HP participants from H-town like their coming out of a bingo ball machine.
Play Like a Champion Today

Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:47 am

I was at the 16's all weekend. About 46 skaters and 10 goalies at the tryouts.

But here are a few numbers by school from what I saw.

0 - Cloquet
1 - Proctor
1 - Duluth East
1 - Denfeld
1- Grand Rapids (But I believe Peart gets an automatic)
2 - Eveleth (including 1 goalie)
5 - Duluth Marshall (including 2 goalies)
7 - Hermantown

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:00 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:51 am
kniven wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:08 am
Hermantown has got 40 kids on the HP teams from HP14 up to HP17. Impressive 😳
You're a clown.
14s just started selection process, hasn't even been broken down to top 30 yet (the top 30 start skating April 1), with final district spring festival team selected April 15th.
15s just started selection process, hasn't even been broken down to top 30 yet (the top 30 start skating April 1), with final district spring festival team selected April 12th.
7A/AA 16s have their last tryout session from 11:40-2:10 today, so roster isn't posted or decided yet.
7A/AA 17s have their last tryout session from 9-11:30 today, so roster isn't posted or decided yet.
16 and 17 rosters are posted. Section 7 16's roster has 6 Hermantown kids, Section 7 17's roster has 1 Hermantown kid.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm

The other 33 must be in the 14 and 15 group :D

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm

The other 33 must be in the 14 and 15 group :D

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 pm

One could argue that the ZERO made the 17's :wink:
(Ely kid)

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Andover has 8 kids on the 17s roster alone, along with 2 on the 16s roster

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:26 pm

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 pm
One could argue that ZERO made the 17's :wink:
(Ely kid)
One could also then argue that only 3 made the 16's. Two of them open-enroll from Proctor and Denfeld. One transferred in from Hayward, WI.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:26 pm
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 pm
One could argue that ZERO made the 17's :wink:
(Ely kid)
One could also then argue that only 3 made the 16's. Two of them open-enroll from Proctor and Denfeld. One transferred in from Hayward, WI.

Per Scott P. Hermantown hockey”s single A magic trick is an epic tragedy. I’m an idiot. Almost didnt get to experience the Greenway story this year because of the clown show in Hermantown. Yea, I’m an idiot.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

defense

Post by defense » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm

east hockey wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm
This topic has taken an interesting turn. I wouldn't have thought in 100 years we'd be talking about whether STA, et al opting down would be a good thing!

Lee
I guess, with respect, maybe read the prior posts by myself.
Otter Hockey Rocks

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:35 am

defense wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm
east hockey wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm
This topic has taken an interesting turn. I wouldn't have thought in 100 years we'd be talking about whether STA, et al opting down would be a good thing!

Lee
I guess, with respect, maybe read the prior posts by myself.
I went back and took a read, and it may take some proper oversight, but I somewhat agree with your comments. If we push any team that is good up to AA, then yes we are making a good team league and bad team league. Once we have a good and a bad team league, that is almost similar to TIER 1/2. Isn't MAML dropping a team from the coop in order to stay in A similar to losing a game or two to make it down to the lower tier if you are on the border? I agree that we should be focusing on school size rather than team skill, because if we were to have a state tourney of STA/TG/BSM/HT/GR/Ros tourney or some combination, where you have teams just as good playing in A as there are in AA, then it wouldn't be an A and a B, it would be Small Schools and Big Schools, but as soon as you start pushing teams up into a "higher" level because they are good enough, then you get A and B. would a B team be able to compete with an A team? They should not. So by pushing any team that is making it unfair up to the next level, that is saying team I cant compete to team II and that is saying one team is a B team, and one is an A team.

In order to do this, we need to remove the stigma that A hockey is worse than AA hockey, and that will never happen. With how the youth levels are separated, A/AA, the same mindset will be brought up to high school. If we went with a nomenclature that doesn't have a connotation of better and worse and one that is big and small, then we can start to see the two classes even out in skill, and one team won't win every year. Those teams may pummel the super small schools, but until we set up numerous brackets based upon relegation then we will never take human greed out of sports, we will never have teams not pummeling other smaller teams, and we will never get rid of sports based transfers.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:10 pm

I heard from a knowledgeable source yesterday (after the next 2 years of Section assignments were announced) that opting to stay Single A for Hermantown will have serious consequences (regarding next season’s roster). I’ll leave it at that ☝️

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:25 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:10 pm
I heard from a knowledgeable source yesterday (after the next 2 years of Section assignments were announced) that opting to stay Single A for Hermantown will have serious consequences (regarding next season’s roster). I’ll leave it at that ☝️
Hey, they said they're a Single A program. If that drives those three kids out they may just prove themselves right for next year!

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 am

Now isn’t that ironic.

Dog

Post by Dog » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm

Apparently HT is going after a goalie from Cloquet and a leading scorer from Virginia. Hearing that the Virginia "homegrown" transplant bought a house in HT to be eligible for next year.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:08 am

Dog wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm
Apparently HT is going after a goalie from Cloquet and a leading scorer from Virginia. Hearing that the Virginia "homegrown" transplant bought a house in HT to be eligible for next year.
They've been forced to spread out further and focus more on the Range the last few years. But Cloquet hasn't been a traditional pipeline for them. The rumor is they've been working hard to find a goalie so this makes sense. Their incoming Bantam Goalie is good but probably needs a year to adjust to the High School game. It's been a couple of years since any Proctor or Denfeld kid has transferred over there in the Youth ranks. (Although they are still fully stocked from previous years) It appears that the new Arena in Proctor is helping to keep the kids there and Denfeld's success at the Youth levels seems to be helping them out as well. The bar has been set very high there with the number of top end transfers. They have to find a way to keep it going to maintain the success they are used to. If Biondi and Pierce leave early, they may not have enough time to replace them. They would most likely still be the favorite in 7A but not at State.

HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Dog wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm
I am far from a HT fan and all of the transfer stuff is out of hand, but if they are buying a house there and following those rules, there isn't much for us to complain about, in my opinion. Can't stop people from moving in

IRMN

Post by IRMN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:00 am

In my humble opinion, it is extremely selfish if you transfer from the town/community/school you have grown up in and played for your entire life....a small town program that has been very successful and is trying to rebuild right now and needs senior leaders to stick around and re-create the culture that has been lost a little before them. There are grumblings that a certain to-be senior is leaving Virginia to go to the almighty Hermantown. A "potential" free ride to a State tournament does not make playing in that tournament very special at all. That tournament is meant for teams that stick together from mites all the way through, play for each other, and represent something way more than themselves. If you are a good player, you'll get noticed no matter what. Why not keep your hometown team competitive? Help create the culture that has been lost. Give younger players someone to look up to and get excited about hockey again. Minnesota high school hockey is about so much more than getting noticed. It's about PRIDE, LOYALTY, and being proud to play for where you came from.

CanAm Hockey

Post by CanAm Hockey » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:59 am

Well said, IRMN. It is sad what high school hockey has become. No pride in one's hometown or dedication to the kids they grew up playing with. Just looking out for #1. So, who is the family/kid moving into Hermantown?

IRMN

Post by IRMN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:17 pm

Now this is all he said she said so far but sounds like Kilen might make the jump. If anyone knows any truth to that...maybe they'll let us know when and if it is all said and done?

Where is F3?

Post by Where is F3? » Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 am

CanAm Hockey wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:59 am
Well said, IRMN. It is sad what high school hockey has become. No pride in one's hometown or dedication to the kids they grew up playing with. Just looking out for #1. So, who is the family/kid moving into Hermantown?
I agree, but lets not put all of the blame here on the kid. The parents of these kids are the most delusional of all. For most, they have a complete false sense of reality. They think they have the "path" figured out for their kid. They believe that wherever they go, it will be greener pastures for their beloved child. When in reality, their kid is a dime a dozen when it comes to hockey players. At the end of the day, they would have the same chance to make the next level in the community they grew up in. If you are good enough to play at the next level, you will get noticed. The path just might be different.

Parents aged 38-55 are the ones who are ruining high school hockey.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Wed May 01, 2019 10:55 am

Let's be honest....Hockey is ruining hockey..

Yes parents are crazier than crazy today and yes parents moving their kids for the sake of hockey is somewhat silly but remember
Minnesota hockey jamming all this HP stuff on families is part of the problem
High School coaches filling their pockets with money for their summer programs is part of the problem
Advisers over promising 14 year olds are part of the problem
Trainers saying more more more is better is part of the problem
Business people with access to lots of money are part of the problem
Colleges competing for kids are part of the problem
Private schools (and some public schools) taking advantage of MSHL easy transfer rules are part of the problem
$300 sticks are part of the problem
Social media is definitely part of the problem
and yes even Hermantown not going AA is part of the problem :D (had to toss that one in since it's the board topic)

Kids...are not part of the problem. In general, they are typically the one innocent variable is this sport...9 times out of 10 they just want to be kids. They'd rather play 24/7 on their backyard pond than all this "stuff" that gets tossed at them today

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Wed May 01, 2019 1:38 pm

yesIplayed:

I largely agree with your comments, but lets not throw all coaches into the STP Money making business.

For some, coaching is their chosen profession, and summer hockey is how they earn their living.
Play Like a Champion Today

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Wed May 01, 2019 1:41 pm

I agree...They deserve a lot more than they get paid...no doubt about that. But it's still another "must do" that's high priced