Early Departures 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CakeScout17

Re: Early Departures 2019-2020

Post by CakeScout17 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:24 pm
HockeyonFire wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am
WestMetro wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:56 pm
There was a question on this from a different thread

My thoughts as of now, not much to go on really except Pitlick for sure leaving and Biondi probably for sure staying

Below will stay for senior year, unless indicated by comments

Blake Biondi Htown UMD Looks to be Staying-Captain
Jake Braccini Buffalo U of M Probably Staying
Matt Gleason CDH CC
Teddy Lagerback Mtka ASU
Jonny Meiers EAG CC Maybe leaving
Blake Mesenberg BSM Uncommitted
Zach Michaelis ELK Omaha ?
John Middlestadt EP U of M
G Pinoniemi HF U of M Maybe leaving
Rhett Pitlick Chaska U of M Leaving
Carson Richels BL Uncommitted
Nate Warner SCC U of M

Jake Boltmann ED U of M Maybe leaving
Wyatt Kaiser ANDV UMD
Brett Oberle HM UMD Maybe leaving
Nate Schweitzer BSM CC
We already announced Garrett Pinoniemi as a captain for the 2019-20 Holy Family team. Also we announced our season schedule on Instagram. We play Blake Biondi and Hermantown on Jan. 25, 2020 in Victoria. July Tournament Summer Festival at Braemar is Holy Family vs LN July 19 7:50pm on West Rink, HF vs. CDH on July 20 11:30am on South rink and HF vs. Cloquet on July 20 5:10pm, South Rink. EP is not in the Summer tourney
Do the teams that compete in the summer tourney bring all of their guys or are there usually some key players missing?

Majority of the players are there! Its worth checking out and, at the very worst, its a good puck fix at end of July. One thing that can cause conflict for some is the tryouts for Fall Elite sometimes fall on that same weekend - it did last year. However, the players who are grandfathered in with EL played, e.g., Ryder D, Pinoniemi, all of the Andover kids, so definitely worth your time.

BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 am

CakeScout17 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 pm
BeauKnowsHockey wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 pm
CakeScout17 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:17 pm
Boltmann 90% on way to Blmgtn, Illinois for Juniors. Unless he does a B & A, but word is he is gone. U of M in Fall 2020 countrary to info on Elite Prospects page.
Thanks for the heads up on his EP page being wrong. I have fixed it to 20-21. I didn’t enter in his commitment another volunteer did who clearly didn’t check his grad year (which is not always the best indicator, but typically what we go off of)
No worries. I should have contacted you directly. Thanks for the work you do!
No worries! I’m still relatively new around these parts!
Minnesota based volunteer for EliteProspects.com

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm

WestMetro wrote:

My thoughts as of now, not much to go on really except Pitlick for sure leaving and Biondi probably for sure staying

Matt Gleason CDH CC
Teddy Lagerback Mtka ASU
Nate Warner SCC U of M

Wyatt Kaiser ANDV UMD
Nate Schweitzer BSM CC
I have confirmed with two different knowledgeable Buffalo sources that Jake Braccini will indeed be returning for his senior year. Of course something could happen between now and the start of the season, but it sounds like the Gophers’ staff would like to see Jake assert himself as “the man” against Lake Conference competition.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm
WestMetro wrote:

Matt Gleason CDH CC
Teddy Lagerback Mtka ASU
Nate Warner SCC U of M

Wyatt Kaiser ANDV UMD
Nate Schweitzer BSM CC
I have confirmed with two different knowledgeable Buffalo sources that Jake Braccini will indeed be returning for his senior year. Of course something could happen between now and the start of the season, but it sounds like the Gophers’ staff would like to see Jake assert himself as “the man” against Lake Conference competition.
Hearing him and his brother may play before and after with St. Cloud Blizzard. Did you hear that Stang?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:06 pm

BP wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:

Matt Gleason CDH CC
Teddy Lagerback Mtka ASU
Nate Warner SCC U of M

Wyatt Kaiser ANDV UMD
Nate Schweitzer BSM CC
Hearing him and his brother may play before and after with St. Cloud Blizzard. Did you hear that Stang?
Yes, one of the two people I talked to did mention the Blizzard. The relocation is convenient with St. Cloud being a short trip from Buffalo (or Hanover). I’m sure the Blizzard would welcome them with open arms given the recent struggles of that franchise.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Good investigation Stang! You obviously carried all your contacts out to the 5280!

Happy to hear Jake will be back

Last saw him in the 8AA semis against STMA. Huge crowd at Buffalo. We happened to sit by Nathan Muellers mom and grandma at center ice. Saw HockeyonFire there also as I recall. Danny Ryan too. Coach Motzko was there on the platform giving Jake a good look. Told him he had a good one there. Impressive size and speed, but most importantly great pure shooter. Thought maybe theyd come home from Moorhead with a State Trny berth, I recall Karl predicted the upset, but not to be.

Anxious to see more of him against Lake teams this season.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:19 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 pm
Good investigation Stang! You obviously carried all your contacts out to the 5280!

Happy to hear Jake will be back

Last saw him in the 8AA semis against STMA. Huge crowd at Buffalo. We happened to sit by Nathan Muellers mom and grandma at center ice. Saw HockeyonFire there also as I recall. Danny Ryan too. Coach Motzko was there on the platform giving Jake a good look. Told him he had a good one there. Impressive size and speed, but most importantly great pure shooter. Thought maybe theyd come home from Moorhead with a State Trny berth, I recall Karl predicted the upset, but not to be.

Anxious to see more of him against Lake teams this season.
Ha, I still have some peeps in the know around the metro area. It helps to be of the age where many of my friends have kids in high school now. Throw in a few assistant coaches, teachers, and school administrators, along with my parents becoming gossip hounds in their elderly years (my mom is a true Yenta), and some juicy hockey tidbits occasionally make it out yonder here to my ears and eyes.

I am not super bullish on Buffalo overall after losing Mueller to graduation, but the top line should be fun to watch against stronger competition this year.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:06 pm
BP wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

Yes, one of the two people I talked to did mention the Blizzard. The relocation is convenient with St. Cloud being a short trip from Buffalo (or Hanover). I’m sure the Blizzard would welcome them with open arms given the recent struggles of that franchise.
IMO - The Braccini kids will 100% both be back. Jake (and Tyler) could very well do before and afters. Dad Bryan is very protective (I don’t say that in a negative way as he is a USHL alum) in what they do. When Jake was the 6th overall pick by then Bloomington in the phase 1 draft a few years ago and they took twin Tyler in phase 2 - neither one went to the main camp. Dad declined the invites. I thought it was awesome, and very against common tradition. No phase 1 kids ever make those teams anyways (not the draft year). Silianoff was number one overall and didn’t join until the next year. It’s a money grab anyways. Dad isn’t afraid to go against the grain. Tyler will get D1 looks as he is catching up to Jake in size as well. Both are good kids. Hoping for the best for them.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:16 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:32 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
BP wrote:

IMO - The Braccini kids will 100% both be back. Jake (and Tyler) could very well do before and afters. Dad Bryan is very protective (I don’t say that in a negative way as he is a USHL alum) in what they do. When Jake was the 6th overall pick by then Bloomington in the phase 1 draft a few years ago and they took twin Tyler in phase 2 - neither one went to the main camp. Dad declined the invites. I thought it was awesome, and very against common tradition. No phase 1 kids ever make those teams anyways (not the draft year). Silianoff was number one overall and didn’t join until the next year. It’s a money grab anyways. Dad isn’t afraid to go against the grain. Tyler will get D1 looks as he is catching up to Jake in size as well. Both are good kids. Hoping for the best for them.
All very good points, and I have heard this same regarding Bryan’s oversight (for lack of a better term) of his sons’ hockey careers. I know this is getting into a bit of a tangent, but Bryan played at Park Center with Curtis Janicke (and with Trent Klatt through Bantams), so it is interesting to see the differing pathways between the sets of sons.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:42 pm

GoldenBear wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:17 am
You may want to add a "maybe leaving" for Teddy L. GB
Agree . Hearing same . Possible

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am

Not happening
Play Like a Champion Today

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:43 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:16 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

All very good points, and I have heard this same regarding Bryan’s oversight (for lack of a better term) of his sons’ hockey careers. I know this is getting into a bit of a tangent, but Bryan played at Park Center with Curtis Janicke (and with Trent Klatt through Bantams), so it is interesting to see the differing pathways between the sets of sons.
To be fair the NTDP path is hard to argue with (although I'm sure some will). Sure some players turn it down and that's absolutely fine, but to be critical of that route seems a little silly.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:30 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:43 am
Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:16 pm
612hockeytown wrote:

To be fair the NTDP path is hard to argue with (although I'm sure some will). Sure some players turn it down and that's absolutely fine, but to be critical of that route seems a little silly.
Totally agree, and I would never criticize taking that route. I am actually a big proponent of the NTDP and think it does a fantastic job of preparing kids for college hockey and college life. I was just pointing out the connection between the two families and the difference in hockey paths. Trevor actually struggled during his time with the NTDP, so it was nice to see him flourish with Central Illinois this past season.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Heard a rumor Clafton is not returning for Rapids. Any truth to it?

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 am

Hear from some in BL that Richels is 90% NOT coming back.

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:41 pm

With a NH commit, I suppose its up to his future coaches, etc.??

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

Why is Janicke not on the list?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:54 am

Night , he is on the official Exiled One list at the beginning.
I was just speculating about seniors

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:32 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:54 am
Night , he is on the official Exiled One list at the beginning.
I was just speculating about seniors
Looks like he was just added, false alarm.

GettinHiggyWithIt

Post by GettinHiggyWithIt » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm

From DE, heard L. Anderson is strongly considering going to Des Moines (USHL) and forgoing his senior year, if true wouldn’t be surprised to see Jeannette consider leaving as well, however not sure what his options are.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 pm

GettinHiggyWithIt wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm
From DE, heard L. Anderson is strongly considering going to Des Moines (USHL) and forgoing his senior year, if true wouldn’t be surprised to see Jeannette consider leaving as well, however not sure what his options are.
What? No way.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:42 am

Oly smokes 🤭. The Duluth East Greyhouds are the, THE, flagship hockey program of the 218 up here. I’ve got tons of respect for that program and those kids. We, up here, need that program to carry the BIG STICK.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:03 am

Net P - and I thought there was drama in the West Metro!

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Net P, thanks for the stimulating post. Iconoclasm is always a delicious treat, especially when deserved, which in the case of Randolph may or may not be, I don't know. Strange to hear there may be some early departures from DE.

Although Randolph does work annual magic of getting his team to the tourney despite them looking vulnerable early in the season, I have also pondered two of the things you brought up:

1. The infrequency of state titles.

2. The paucity of graduates that go on to bigger things, be it the NHL or stellar college careers. Forbort is the only NHL regular, and he left East for NTDP. (Welinski played 26 games for the Ducks last year, so maybe he also becomes a regular.)

I do have two second-hand tidbits I've heard about Randolph that makes me question his character:

1. After the 1997 7AA final, in which East beat Hibbing, my brother, who was there, told me that after the game Randolph was taunting and swearing at the dejected Hibbing players. Maybe he thought they were taking cheap shots, but even so, that doesn't seem like the adult way to handle it.

2. One of my good friends played for Randolph in the mid 90's, and when I asked him recently what he thought of his old coach, he thought for a moment and said "I don't know, he was just a coach, I guess." I found this to be a strange answer. I was expecting "He was tough, but now that I look back on it, I appreciate what he was trying to do." or even "He was a total jerk, couldn't stand him." I was surprised that 20 years later, my friend had nothing much to say about such a polarizing figure.

That's my uninformed 2 cents. It will be weird if DE sees an exodus of talent.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:22 pm

noun
the presence of something only in small or insufficient quantities or amounts; scarcity.
"a paucity of information"
synonyms: scarcity, sparseness, sparsity, dearth, shortage, rarity, rareness, poverty, insufficiency, deficiency, inadequacy, famine, lack, want, meagerness, limitedness, scantiness, skimpiness, paltriness, restrictedness, deficit, shortfall; rareexiguity
"a paucity of evidence"