Pre Pre-season (summer) 2019-2020 Single A rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Pre Pre-season (summer) 2019-2020 Single A rankings

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Just looking at what some teams lost and what some teams are bringing in....

1. St Cloud Cathedral
2. Hermantown
3. Warroad
4. East Grand Forks
5. Mahtomedi
6. Alexandria
7. North Branch
8. Orono
9. Denfeld
10. Thief River Falls

Others:
Eveleth, Delano, Monticello, Little Falls, Chisago Lakes, Albert Lea, Marshall, Sartell, Breck, Greenway, Minnesota River and St Paul Johnson

Thanks guys.
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

greenwayraider

Re: Pre Pre-season (summer) 2019-2020 Single A rankings

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:49 pm

I thought Totino opted up to AA?

BP

Post by BP » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:50 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:49 pm
Totino is AA. And I'd include Northfield and Johnson to the top 20.

High Heat

Post by High Heat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:59 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:12 pm
Just looking at what some teams lost and what some teams are bringing in....

1. St Cloud Cathedral
2. Hermantown
3. Warroad
4. East Grand Forks
5. Mahtomedi
6. Alexandria
7. North Branch
8. Orono
9. Denfeld
10. Thief River Falls

Others:
Eveleth, Delano, Northfield, Monticello, Little Falls, Chisago Lakes, Albert Lea, Marshall, Sartell, Breck and Minnesota River and St Paul Johnson

Thanks guys.
Northfield is also AA next year

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Greenway? Unless I’m missing something, I don’t believe the Raiders’ roster will be completely decimated.

Dang it, now I will have to get my rear in gear and respond with my own version!

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:43 pm

The cupboard is not bare for Greenway. They should be solid in goaltending and have two good defensemen returning (Miller and Tryboyevich). They will have one very good line. The one Troumbly is on. The other major plus is Clafton behind the bench. Greenway will not be at the level they were this past year. They will have a below .500 record entering sectionals but I would not be surprised to see them in the finals again.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm

BP wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:50 pm
greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:49 pm
Totino is AA. And I'd include Northfield and Johnson to the top 20.
Isn’t Northfield in AA?
Last edited by greenwayraider on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Elliott -

In the heck did Mr. northern hs hockey forget about Greenway?
Play Like a Champion Today

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:21 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:43 pm
The cupboard is not bare for Greenway. They should be solid in goaltending and have two good defensemen returning (Miller and Tryboyevich). They will have one very good line. The one Troumbly is on. The other major plus is Clafton behind the bench. Greenway will not be at the level they were this past year. They will have a below .500 record entering sectionals but I would not be surprised to see them in the finals again.
Agreed. Greenway will have a very nice A roster. I will be rooting hard for Clafton and the Raiders this winter. A true A program and all the respect in the world 👍🤓
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:42 am

blueblood wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:12 pm
Elliott -

In the heck did Mr. northern hs hockey forget about Greenway?
Sorry
They were on my handwritten list, but in the excitement of the moment (being in Minnesota for a whole week) I did not type them in.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Here's my attempt at this little ranking exercise. I'll go ahead and rank all the way to 20, because why not torture myself.

1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Hermantown
3. Mahtomedi
4. Warroad
5. Thief River Falls
6. Orono
7. East Grand Forks
8. North Branch
9. Alexandria
10. Duluth Denfeld
11. Greenway
12. Little Falls
13. Mankato East
14. Sartell
15. Delano
16. Monticello
17. Eveleth-Gilbert
18. Breck
19. Tartan
20. St. Paul Academy

A few comments:
- The 8A teams are hard to distinguish at this point. Warroad has the most talent, TRF has the most experience and best defense, and EGF is a well-oiled machine despite losing much to graduation.
- The second 10 teams are basically me throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what might stick.
- Mankato East seems poised to be the best southern team with a nice returning cast.
- Little Falls could be this year's version of North Branch, but is unfortunately stuck in 6A.
- Tartan returns some solid young talent, and I am feeling a bit of a Monticello vibe with them moving to A.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am

Dodge County made the A Bantam state tournament. They dropped from AA to A, they may be a year away from being very competitive in A. This group pulled heavily from Lourdes and Rochester Century due to open enrollment to Byron. This group would be very competitive in 1AA.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:51 am

goldy313 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am
Dodge County made the A Bantam state tournament. They dropped from AA to A, they may be a year away from being very competitive in A. This group pulled heavily from Lourdes and Rochester Century due to open enrollment to Byron. This group would be very competitive in 1AA.
Thanks for the local insight, goldy. DC is definitely on my radar as a team to watch, and they were on my list of best incoming Bantam groups. Lamb will especially be fun to watch down in your neck of the woods.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Well, it is Sunday, August 4th in only a week on Monday, August 12th Fall Sports practices will begin, and school will follow quickly and then it will be Hockey Season again in Minnesota. I am going to try to do just a Class A Rankings throughout the winters on Sundays this year. I want to get close to the level of Karl(east) at the AA level on this forum.

We left Class A with a dominate State Tournament Run by the Crusaders from St. Cloud Cathedral who outscored their competition 18-4 in 3 games on their way to the school's first-ever Class A Championship. They ended the cinderella run of the Tiny Iron Range school that refused to quit in Greenway in the Title Game. Hermantown the giant in Class A was absent, and two squads with young talent Mahtomedi and East Grand Forks were forced to miss the Championship by just one game. All we be significant teams as we begin the quest for the Class A title in 2020.

Now in August I will take a stab at an early summer poll and will come back with a more precise poll in early November when we know more on move-ins, transfers and who survived Elite League and Fall sports without Injuries and will Blake Boindi really come back after a fall with Sioux City because that was the plan with Bobby Brink in AA last year? So below is a quick stab at it with more a in-depth to come later.

Class A 2019-20 Summer Poll
# 1- East Grand Forks- 5 Elite League Guys (Parker, Poolman, Cooley, Nelson & Ausmus) to lead all Class A Programs. A great coaching staff that knows how to win. Finally, some great goaltending (Cooley) the import from across the border. EGF will be TOUGH to beat this year; they should have great depth. They always play tough Defense and now with actual Goaltending the weakness in the last few years this looks to be the Pre-season Favorite. The Greenwave finished 4th last year, and a large chunk of that team will be coming back for more this winter.

#2- Hermantown- IF Biondi does return he will be the best player in the State. A few move-ins will aid him from Ely, Virginia, Duluth, Illinois and wherever else the Hawks continue to draw from. They have a great crop of AA Bantams coming up, and this Team will be loaded and angry after last years upset. My only question is Goaltending. The Hawks, if Biondi does return, will be a very tough team to beat. He still hasn't won a Title... This could be his year to win that title and take home Mr.Hockey.

#3- St. Cloud Cathedral- Looks like they have everyone coming back for another run at chance to go Back to Back. They have a ton of talent upfront (Warner, Smith, Perbix, Hiltner) some great talent on the back end (Bell, Bogenholm, & Zins) and a possible transfer back home (Motzko ??) that would add great a deal of depth up front to an already talented high-end team. No one will have the amount of high-end guys but I question the depth and, like Hermantown, I question goaltending here. Still, the Crusaders should be a very elite Class A team all winter.

#4- Mahtomedi- They return their top forwards in Dulak, and Hagstrom they some solid dman back and return Dardis in the net. They will bring up more talent. This is the last of the actual Traditional Class A Power Program over the years not to have a State Title they will have the ability again this winter to end that label.

#5- Warroad- Is it finally a return St Paul for the Warriors... It's been a decade since we have seen the Black and Gold that use to be the Hermantown in Class A. I like this year's version a lot. Not flashy Elite League Names but they will have the Best Forward Slukynsky in 8A if he returns from Fargo. Also return Meeker, Foster, Wilmer, Johnson & Norris and a lot of their kids who played last year and return their veteran Goalie in Foster along with a good crew of Bantams coming off a State Title. Watch out for the Warriors.

#6- Greenway- I know people may have this a tad bit high, but I think the Raiders will be tough again this year. They return Trombley and Miller to anchor the way. They have Vekich, Gernander & Trobyevich as a nice supporting cast and Logan Wright took them on the magic run in the playoffs. Coach Clafton is the best coach in Class A, and they may have a few move-ins up their sleeve again yet? The Raiders will not be an easy out in March.

#7- Thief River Falls- The Prowlers are my team to be SNEAKY good this winter. It depends on if Bushy comes back or if he stays in Sioux Falls. With Bushy, they will have the Top Dman in 8A and the Top Goalie in 8A in Rupprecht and return 4 of the top 5 leading scorers upfront. They also have an excellent Coach. I think the Prowlers might need to be ranked higher just waiting on Bushy. Even without him, they will be very good!

#8- North Branch- The Team without a home rink was another great story last year. This year the Vikings are for real. They return Croal, Sachs & Kirchner upfront. Three of their four Dman who played minutes will be back, and they have a rock in Senior Goalie Turek. North Branch will be a tough team for everyone this winter; rather, they have a home rink or not.

#9- Alexandria- Looks to be tough again this winter. They return Strong, Westlund and Gronhotltz upfront and they have Revering and Birkeland to anchor the backend. They will need a new goalie and some Bantams to replace a considerable scoring chunk but don't count this team out. An outstanding program with a good core coming back.

#10- Delano- They made a nice run at the end of the year, and they return Brown upfront and Kernan on the back end and a goalie that split time all year. They are well-coached and will be very tough come playoffs again in 2A.

After that lots of good Stories-
Class A Section Breakdown-
1A- It's Mankato East's section to lose they bring back the most kids and still have state experience from two years ago. After that, it might be Dodge County as their top competitor keep an eye on this young group throughout the winter.

2A- Delano, and Orono look to be the top two teams and will battle it out. Also, don't lose sight of Breck they had young talent leading the way last season and have been tough come playoffs but not even close to the Breck teams of the old days. Armstrong dropping down from AA could be a good sleeper here. Big numbers to pull from and will be a tough out.

3A- Marshall, LDC, New Ulm I think it's between those three teams. LDC has the most talent but a new coach. Marshall has the best goalie and Dman but lost a ton of scoring. New Ulm is always a factor. Still is a wild ride in 3A!

4A- Mahtomedi is the HUGE favorite here. After that I think Tartan down from AA will be very good and Watch out for St Paul Johnson they will be dealing with the Dream State Curse, but they should be a very tough team to play.

5A- North Branch and Monticello will battle it out here. After that, I don't see much Cambridge and St Francis are down to Class A, but they both are not a contender. Princeton will have scoring, and Pine City will be tough to play against Never count out Chisago Lakes but its really a Two Team Race in 5A.

6A- St Cloud Cathedral looks very good if they have a goalie. They will face great teams in Alexandria and Little Falls. Both will play low scoring great hockey. This Section is never dull and is always ultra-tough to come out of. Never count Sartell either though they look to be rebuilding after losing 14 seniors.

7A- The DEEPEST Section. Hermantown should run away with it... But Greenway is a torn in their side come playoffs. Also, Duluth Denfeld is on the rise and could be a Top 10 Team. Eveleth will be very good as well those four teams are as good they come for depth-wise in any Class A Section.

8A- The BEST Class A Section. EGF, Warroad, and TRF could all be top 5 teams by the year's end, but only one gets to go to St Paul in March... Going to be some epic low scoring hockey up North. These three teams all have great coaching tons of depth good goaltending and will be in a battle all year long.

Hope you enjoyed, please add insight I know I missed teams looking to make the best poll possible.

What are your THOUGHTS??
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pertyboy

Post by Pertyboy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Last edited by Pertyboy on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Pertyboy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:25 pm
I think you are pretty close preseason. You way over rank greenway though...only 1 line this year, they can only play so much. Denfeld and eveleth will both be better. St cloud and EGF are the teams to beat. Hermantown may be loaded up front but the back end is scary. St Cloid is just stacked with talent. I think they will crush their scedule and breeze to another state championship
I like Denfeld but will be counting on young kids early and I had Eveleth on my watch list tons coming back just they lost to Hibbing last year but beat Chaska?? Figure that one out screams a nightmare team to rank. I think you are selling Coach Clafton and Greenway short they are going to be very good this group in Bantams took 3rd in state. Also, rumor mill here but heard the Hawks may put Pierce back on the blue line this year do fill in some holes there. Section 7A Looks like fun but Hermantown IF Biondi is back is the best team overall in Class A just not sure on goaltending.

I love St Cloud Cathedral's Top end. Their Top 5 guys are scary good but I am not sure they have the depth like last year and Goaltending is a question mark. Also, Alexandria and Little Falls will be Top 15 teams and Sartell is going to be solid in Section 6A.

Section 8A wow EGF, Warrod and TRF doesn't get any better....

Also, dont sleep on Mahtomedi.....

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Class A Guy, nice work. Also Stang, and all others who follow the A class closely. I dont normally follow the A class too closely myself. But I am really looking forward to seeing as many of the top teams as possible this season. I cant remember a time when there were so many high end top D1 commits in the A class, with probably a few to go yet, and would be interested if Karl or anyone else has any stats on that. I had been figuring a final at the X between HT and SCC, but now with the EGF incoming transfers, it may well be a horse race between the top 3 as you indicate. Should be great competition, and final game could well rival the AA class game. Agree that Biondi is early favorite for Mr. Hockey

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 pm

Yes, class A will be very interesting this hockey season. I like Hermantown, Warroad, Denfeld, and Greenway - with the Raiders being my favorite class A program, along with other 218 Northern schools. Eveleth must have lost a lot from last years squad. They beat Chaska though 👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 am

ClassAguy you have some very good insight on Greenway. This group did finish third in bantams. However Lanz was part of that team. He will be missed, although he played forward in bantams. Additions are Gernander and Wright. There was a good defensemen who has had major off ice problems. If he gets his act together he will help big time. I expect them to be in and out of the top ten. They will probably be put in running against the AA powers on their schedule. Not sold on Denfeld yet. They have the potential but very young. They play Greenway in early December so that will be a quick test for them.

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:55 am

JT between the pipes for North Branch should help them stay in the mix

knights58

Post by knights58 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am

for what it's worth Class A guy...Cathedral has 5 in elite league....6 if you include potentially Motzko...

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 am

knights58 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am
for what it's worth Class A guy...Cathedral has 5 in elite league....6 if you include potentially Motzko...
Good Catch. So they are tied with EGF I would still give EGF the nod with Goaltending counting very large of the top end Class A teams them and TRF have a great advantage there. I had heard a few of the Cathedral boy's were doing Before and After so I didn't realize all 5 would be in Elite League. Like I said IF the Motzko thing is true I would be tempted to reshuffle the rankings. However, I just don't see a kid leaving a top-end AA Program for Class A.

USA218

Post by USA218 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 am
knights58 wrote:
Good Catch. So they are tied with EGF I would still give EGF the nod with Goaltending counting very large of the top end Class A teams them and TRF have a great advantage there. I had heard a few of the Cathedral boy's were doing Before and After so I didn't realize all 5 would be in Elite League. Like I said IF the Motzko thing is true I would be tempted to reshuffle the rankings. However, I just don't see a kid leaving a top-end AA Program for Class A.
I'm a fan of EGF and think they will be very good this year! That being said, I have to give SCC the nod over EGF. SCC was so good last year and lost very little from that team.

I also not as high on Warroad as alot of people on here. I
think they will be good, but they typically have alot of weak teams on their schedule. EGF plays about as good of a 'A' schedule as most any single A team. Usually on 1 or 2 cupcakes a year do to having to play a couple teams in the section.

TRF will have a great goalie, but if Bushy doesnt return (dont know why he would) they dont have the guns to run with EGF.

Should be a fun year of Section 8 hockey!

knights58

Post by knights58 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:50 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
knights58 wrote:
You have great insight so I totally understand where you're coming from. With 3 D1 commits and potentially 2 more very soon, I think SCC is the team to beat. They will be better and more dynamic this year than last year with their top two lines being able to match up with most AA squads. That said, there are question marks....as with any team. Really between the top 4 (EGF, Hermantown, SCC, and Mahtomedi), it's anyone's title this year. I do believe there is a pretty big drop off after the top 4...maybe with the exception of Greenway. A lot of hockey to be played and depth to be tested...so who knows? Should be a fun year

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:12 pm

knights58 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:50 am
ClassAGuy wrote:
knights58 wrote:
You have great insight so I totally understand where you're coming from. With 3 D1 commits and potentially 2 more very soon, I think SCC is the team to beat. They will be better and more dynamic this year than last year with their top two lines being able to match up with most AA squads. That said, there are question marks....as with any team. Really between the top 4 (EGF, Hermantown, SCC, and Mahtomedi), it's anyone's title this year. I do believe there is a pretty big drop off after the top 4...maybe with the exception of Greenway. A lot of hockey to be played and depth to be tested...so who knows? Should be a fun year
This what I like about this Forum it helps to get insight from the local supporters of teams. I love the the top 5 of SCC (Warner, Smith, Perbix, Bell, Bogenholm) are all D1 kids I am not sure anyone can match that top end of 5. I just dont know about the rest. When I watched them at State they were by far the best team there because they wore teams out with THREE good lines. Do they have that this year?

Dont count out Warroad. They play a mean game and bring back basically their whole team. They played right with EGF last year and will be right there again. Warroad bring way more back then EGF.

EGF will need to replace its first line of (Beck-34 pts., Mack-42 pts., - Hjelle 30 pts.) and they lost (Vonesh on the back end). They have great talent this year and the North Dakota kids they are importing will help them.

I think EGF has a great team they are my preaseason favorite for now but dont dis-credit Warroad and TRF will be nasty. They may not have the guns to run with Eastside but they will lock the Greenwave down in classic 2-1 or 3-2 8A Game.