Class AA rankings

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

moosepaw

Class AA rankings

Post by moosepaw » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 am

1-Blake didn’t lose much
2-Edina
3-Forest Lake
4-Wayzata
5-North Wright County
6-Eden Prairie
6-Andover

Thoen88

Re: Class AA rankings

Post by Thoen88 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 am

Moose - Not sure i would classify Maddie Wethington, Izzy Daniel, Maddy Tix, etc, as not "losing much". Not disagreeing with your team selections, as 6AA will again be the cream of the high school crop, but Blake lost it's #2, #4 & #6 point producers, not to mention the Ms. Hockey winner and another finalist.

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 am

Yes I agree with you very talented, just repeating what I hear from The Blake faithful.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:35 am

Will be interesting to see what Tonka does. They didn't have a great record but only graduated 3 players with measurable stats and they were 5, 6th and 8th in scoring. Question will be if Edge or Dulac gets more time in net? Dulac saw more ice last year but Edge had the clear *ahem* edge in stats.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Andover is going to be good...really good...for a long time. Graduated a nice goalie and what I think was a 2nd line F (committed to Bemidji and would be 1st line on nearly any other team in the state other than the top 5-8 teams).

Edina graduated a lot but they always reload and are the best youth hockey association on the girls side in the country. They are coached extremely well and always prepared for the big games...especially sections and state. The potential addition of a great goalie will be an upgrade for them but they will miss Bowlby up front and Uihlien/Adams in the back quite a bit.

Blake is losing 2 studs but another year of growth for the 3 senior forwards (all could be in Ms Hockey final 10) and also the 3 rising freshman should counter quite a bit of the loss offensively. The loss of Miss Hockey in the back end will be significant but another year of growth for the returning top 4 D will help. 2 of the D were in their first year of playing defense and the other 2 are high end products of the aforementioned Edina Youth Hockey Association.

Minnetonka will be above average again. I believe that they will be significantly better than last year. It will be interesting to see if/how the new coaching situation will effect things. I think that they have a chance to be top 5.

Trojan will be solid again and should have a slight edge against North Wright County and then EP in the Lake Conference.

Brainerd will really miss King. They should be able to crack and stay in top 10.

1a. Andover
1b. Blake
1c. Edina
4/5/6. Minne-FLAKE-zata.

The rest is some combo of NWC, Eden Prairie (Langseth is going to dominate), Hill Murray, Brainerd, and Farmington. I guess that is my top 11.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:46 pm

On target, as always. The only thing I wonder is if FLAKE might be better than that. They return more than Andover, and their only other blemishes were a game they apparently outshot Edina, and got outshot 30-18 by Blake. They might be upper echelon even without having quite the star power of the other top teams. And Golnitz can be on the ice a lot at D.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 pm

By return more than Andover, I mean as compared to their team last year, not compared to Andover’s returning talent.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 am

I'll throw another team into the contender's mix. Stillwater. Their top 8 scorers return and they're all upperclassmen. They have a new coach that is highly respected and has complete buy-in, their youth program has constantly produced talent recognized by YHH and MN / USA Hockey, and importantly, none of that talent has left for a private school. If their goalie situation is secure, they will be one of the top two teams in 4AA.