Rumors from the rink

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mnnstar

Rumors from the rink

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am

Tis the time of the Year where Rumors run hot.
Hottest rumor heard at OS Shootout was that Katie Davis has decommitted from Harvard and committed to Duluth. The rumor around the rink is that UMD head coach promised a fourth line center spot on u-18 national team if she did this. If this is the truth The whole process needs to be reviewed.
Rumor number two is that Girls Elite league is going to get a Makeover this fall and attendance will be mandatory like it is with the boys. Because of the lack of MN players on U-18 team Elite league will be putting at least two teams together that will be capable of beating Shattuck on a regular basis.
One at the u-19 and one at 16.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Re: Rumors from the rink

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am
Tis the time of the Year where Rumors run hot.
Hottest rumor heard at OS Shootout was that Katie Davis has decommitted from Harvard and committed to Duluth. The rumor around the rink is that UMD head coach promised a fourth line center spot on u-18 national team if she did this. If this is the truth The whole process needs to be reviewed.
Rumor number two is that Girls Elite league is going to get a Makeover this fall and attendance will be mandatory like it is with the boys. Because of the lack of MN players on U-18 team Elite league will be putting at least two teams together that will be capable of beating Shattuck on a regular basis.
One at the u-19 and one at 16.
What a terrible thing to post. Why would you post anything that diminishes the accomplishments of a HS player? NOT COOL!!!

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Has nothing to do with the Hs player everything to do with what people were talking about.
If true not the players fault . No coach should hold a spot on national team over a kids head.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:14 pm
Has nothing to do with the Hs player everything to do with what people were talking about.
If true not the players fault . No coach should hold a spot on national team over a kids head.

You have no idea if it is true, but went ahead and dropped the players name anyway. Go after Maura Crowell all you want and go after USA hockey all you want. Leave the HS players name and situation out of the post.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:50 pm

You have no idea if it is true, but went ahead and dropped the players name anyway. Go after Maura Crowell all you want and go after USA hockey all you want. Leave the HS players name and situation out of the post.

Ditto..

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Generally probably a good idea on the name(s) of the player(s) in a situation like this. Many can figure out who the players are in many situations whether it is on the girls side or the over on the boys side.

To address the other rumor:

* I did NOT hear the Elite rumor(s) but I like the attendance piece a lot.

* I dont know what the "lack of MN players on U-18 team" has on the formation of the teams as there are more MN players this year than last summer. If the goal is being capable of beating SSM on a regular basis it is a different year that last. I saw a couple of games last fall where U19 SSM had 3 lines of D and 4 lines of F and there was 2 D pairings and 10-11 F that were combined from E-Black and E-White. One game the Elite was up after 2 and the relentless pressure of 4 lines of forechecking and the systems coached and played by SSM just wore out the Elite players. The U16 SSM was not a remarkable team and if memory serves me correct they lost a couple of games to Elite Grey.

* SSM graduated a bunch of horsepower from last years team. They will be very good again this year but not AS good. Elite's lost some nice Seniors too but there is a nice back fill from the Grey (the oldest U16 Elite team...last year they were 02's).

* If beating SSM is important or giving them better games is a goal then I would suggest doing a practice or two every once in a while and putting in at least a couple of very simple system items and/or a power play/penalty kill. Elite league in general is just a whomever is out there plays PP or PK. When you get a PP1/PP2 or PK1/2 of a team like Shattuck out there against a random group of really good players they are going to have a HUGE edge on special teams.

* Two teams should be fine at U18 like last year as it appeared that the hierarchy of teams was White/Black > Red and also Grey > Sky/Royal. The 02's that were moved up from Grey were really good but the remaining 02's were still REALLY good. Kids I expect to move up would be the kids that are 03's and 04's that were invited to U18/66.

* Or have Jungles or someone from the Whitecaps organization do more coaching in some of those games rather than whomever is there generally for some light coaching/advice rather than coaching for development and to win.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:15 pm

How can attendance be made "mandatory" during the fall HS sports season? A majority of players show up if they can and race from the court/field/course to a game to do so.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am

jg2112 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:15 pm
How can attendance be made "mandatory" during the fall HS sports season? A majority of players show up if they can and race from the court/field/course to a game to do so.
Maybe don't sign your child up if you can not make it. Nothing more frustrating for EVERYONE involved, when the commitment is weak. If you are not committed to the league, don't sign up. Commitment/attendance are not mutually exclusive. Signing up just to get Elite League apparel is not a good reason to waste everyone else's time and money.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 am

I don’t think the solution is a declaration of rules, I think it’s for the adults to take it seriously (keep stats, consistent coaching). The kids will follow the lead of the adults.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Also, given the earlier negativity, it's worth pointing out Davis had 1G and 2A to tie for the u18 lead in scoring after the first game! Congrats to a great start!

I'd also point out the other offensive contributor was the lone '04 on the team, Dani Burgen (with 2G, 1A and a team high 5 SOG). Way to go Dani! (hopefully a sign of good things to come from the '04 group, which we have already discussed as being very strong). Hopefully the team will succeed, but I wonder if the relatively smaller number of Minnesotans this year and last will be reversed if they lose again... I say take the best for a team like this, even if it leads to geographic hurt feelings.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:33 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am
jg2112 wrote:
Maybe don't sign your child up if you can not make it. Nothing more frustrating for EVERYONE involved, when the commitment is weak. If you are not committed to the league, don't sign up. Commitment/attendance are not mutually exclusive. Signing up just to get Elite League apparel is not a good reason to waste everyone else's time and money.
To the contrary, I think these young women are incredibly committed to the EL. They play multiple sports, sacrifice time for sleep, and bypass time with friends or at school activities to play against "Elite Red" at 8pm on a Tuesday night. If they hit a 80% attendance rate for an off season activity, I think that is to be applauded. Maybe the issue is with the parents, who seem to need 100% attendance and publicly available scores and stats to legitimize their investment in the EL?

Have a look at today's date. Fall HS sports have begun. Those schedules are now publicly available and planned for. These players and families will all scramble later this week, or next week, when the EL schedule is released to make it all work with sports, activities, Homecoming, homework, captains' practices, fall Section playoffs, and simply being 15-18 year old young women!!! I applaud them for their efforts.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:33 pm
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am
jg2112 wrote:
To the contrary, I think these young women are incredibly committed to the EL. They play multiple sports, sacrifice time for sleep, and bypass time with friends or at school activities to play against "Elite Red" at 8pm on a Tuesday night. If they hit a 80% attendance rate for an off season activity, I think that is to be applauded. Maybe the issue is with the parents, who seem to need 100% attendance and publicly available scores and stats to legitimize their investment in the EL?

Have a look at today's date. Fall HS sports have begun. Those schedules are now publicly available and planned for. These players and families will all scramble later this week, or next week, when the EL schedule is released to make it all work with sports, activities, Homecoming, homework, captains' practices, fall Section playoffs, and simply being 15-18 year old young women!!! I applaud them for their efforts.
To the contrary of what? Although you and I have a difference of opinion on what the definition of commitment is, I wasn't referring to the "incredibly committed" players. I was referring to the players that aren't committed, do not show up and leave a team of 5 skaters to play for or against. It happens way too much and no matter what side of the puck the player is on, it is very frustrating for the players that do show up and are committed.

Very aware of what time of year it is, what a multi sport athlete's schedule is and what they sacrifice. But since you bring it up, as an adult, that should all be taken into account when deciding whether to accept an invite. It is pretty simple, if you can commit to the program, do so and enjoy, but if you can not, don't be so selfish to take a spot and waste everyone else's time and money, including the coaches. Just decline the invite and enjoy all the other options you list above.

I never indicated I support the keeping of stats or 100% attendance.