Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zooomx

Re: Worst AA/A sections 1-8, 2019

Post by zooomx » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:47 pm

BSUBeaver wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 pm
zooomx wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am
BSUBeaver wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:16 am

I am not 100% sure either on the mindset either. I didn't realize they were that far from the AA enrollment cut off yet and all those schools above them. I don't think the enrollment is growing at such a pace that they would add 100 students in the next two years, but it is growing. And the youth numbers are quite large right now. I have heard this year they are planning on six squirt teams, not sure on Pee Wees and Bantams.
I am a year away from being neck-deep involved in the program, but I know the last 5 years we spent a fair amount of time talking about when, not if, we go to AA. Not much angst when the girls got bumped up and I doubt there will be much when the boys do. The youth program has more than doubled in size over the past 12 year. Some of that is just organic growth, but a lot of it has been leadership being aggressive in growing youth numbers in order to compete when the AA move happens. Youth numbers have definitely benefited from the girls going to state almost every year and the recent success of the boys program.

I think the enrollment numbers will continue to grow and if I had to take an uneducated guess we will move up in 4 years. In the next 2 year cycle possibly. Personally, I would be excited to see Alex go to AA. It creates a stronger overall schedule and traditional rival Moorhead could no longer avoid scheduling the Cardinals. We would probably take our lumps for a couple years, but the trajectory of the program bodes well for the future.
Thanks for the info, zoomx. I still have a few years before I get neck deep, but the kiddos are getting older and the Alex programs have been fun to follow the last couple of years! And knowing the people involved, I am sure they have had contingency plans in place for when (if) that move to AA comes.
Are you coaching yet? I was just talking about the program with some guys who were involved 10+ years ago. We are very fortunate with some of the admin. type leaders on the board and the quality of coaching in the youth ranks. I should count some time, but we have to have 2 dozen or more coaches who played college hockey at some point. On top of that, there are some awesome coaches who never played past high school. Yes, the program is in great hands and the future is so bright. 8) We just launched our youngest off to college, so in my spare time I will be jealously watching your kids and others carry it forward.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Owatonna was the largest school in the Big Nine for a number of years after Rochester Century opened, they are now behind all three Rochester schools and will fall behind Northfield fairly soon.....to be fair some of that has to do with the way the MSHSL counts enrollment. Owatonna is a football school, I believe they have had two head coaches in the last 40-50 years. They run the same offense they did in 1980, they just run it extremely well. They have had decent hockey and still do, they have North a good battle in sectionals last year,it is just with a falling enrollment how much longer will they be AA? Probably a decade. A bond referendum to build a new school failed, that won’t help attract people.

Faribault is interesting, a huge Somali population, yet won a 5A section football title just a couple of years ago and have, for the most part, had competitive teams in the Big Nine, especially in football, CC and track without the Somali kids. They do lose kids to Bethlehem Academy however. They probably over achieve in sports more often than not.

I would think Faribault would be a great place as it is such an easy commute being right on I-35. But it has been Northfield and Farmington who are benefiting the most.

As a reference, no Big Nine school has an easy commute to Rochester, all but Austin and Albert Lea involves two lane roads and the stretch of I-90 near Dexter is awful in the winter, it was closed for almost a week last winter.

As for 1AA this year Hastings didn’t lose much and McCarville with a year of experience under his belt will be much better come playoffs. Century and Owatonna also have very good goalies. 5 teams could win this section.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:18 am

O-townClown wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:00 pm

1. VI - Benilde, Blake & Edina
2. II - Eden Prairie with some contenders
3. IV - Hill
4. V - how much has T-G closed the gap
5. III - Rosemount, not St. Thomas, is the fave
6. VIII - possibly Roseau's year
7. VII - wide open
8. I - Lakeville or Lakeville?
I’ll take a crack at it......

1. VI - Edina (more back than some think), Benilde, Blake
2. IV - Stillwater, WBL (Lots back), Hill (still young)
3. II - EP (SB preseason #1) Tonka (WB ovrrtd due to EL #s)
4. V - Blaine and MG with B being underrated and MG over
5. VII - Andover (SR Heavy) then GR & maybe CEC.
6 VIII - Mhd (WB SR heavy) then ???, SC, STMA, Roseau (???)
7. III - Rosemount and a down STA
8. I - not much here besides a pretty avg LS

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 am

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:01 pm
Owatonna was the largest school in the Big Nine for a number of years after Rochester Century opened, they are now behind all three Rochester schools and will fall behind Northfield fairly soon.....to be fair some of that has to do with the way the MSHSL counts enrollment. Owatonna is a football school, I believe they have had two head coaches in the last 40-50 years. They run the same offense they did in 1980, they just run it extremely well. They have had decent hockey and still do, they have North a good battle in sectionals last year,it is just with a falling enrollment how much longer will they be AA? Probably a decade. A bond referendum to build a new school failed, that won’t help attract people.

Faribault is interesting, a huge Somali population, yet won a 5A section football title just a couple of years ago and have, for the most part, had competitive teams in the Big Nine, especially in football, CC and track without the Somali kids. They do lose kids to Bethlehem Academy however. They probably over achieve in sports more often than not.

I would think Faribault would be a great place as it is such an easy commute being right on I-35. But it has been Northfield and Farmington who are benefiting the most.

As a reference, no Big Nine school has an easy commute to Rochester, all but Austin and Albert Lea involves two lane roads and the stretch of I-90 near Dexter is awful in the winter, it was closed for almost a week last winter.

As for 1AA this year Hastings didn’t lose much and McCarville with a year of experience under his belt will be much better come playoffs. Century and Owatonna also have very good goalies. 5 teams could win this section.
Good intel thanks for sharing!

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 am

zooomx wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:47 pm
BSUBeaver wrote:
zooomx wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am

I am a year away from being neck-deep involved in the program, but I know the last 5 years we spent a fair amount of time talking about when, not if, we go to AA. Not much angst when the girls got bumped up and I doubt there will be much when the boys do. The youth program has more than doubled in size over the past 12 year. Some of that is just organic growth, but a lot of it has been leadership being aggressive in growing youth numbers in order to compete when the AA move happens. Youth numbers have definitely benefited from the girls going to state almost every year and the recent success of the boys program.

I think the enrollment numbers will continue to grow and if I had to take an uneducated guess we will move up in 4 years. In the next 2 year cycle possibly. Personally, I would be excited to see Alex go to AA. It creates a stronger overall schedule and traditional rival Moorhead could no longer avoid scheduling the Cardinals. We would probably take our lumps for a couple years, but the trajectory of the program bodes well for the future.
Thanks for the info, zoomx. I still have a few years before I get neck deep, but the kiddos are getting older and the Alex programs have been fun to follow the last couple of years! And knowing the people involved, I am sure they have had contingency plans in place for when (if) that move to AA comes.
Are you coaching yet? I was just talking about the program with some guys who were involved 10+ years ago. We are very fortunate with some of the admin. type leaders on the board and the quality of coaching in the youth ranks. I should count some time, but we have to have 2 dozen or more coaches who played college hockey at some point. On top of that, there are some awesome coaches who never played past high school. Yes, the program is in great hands and the future is so bright. 8) We just launched our youngest off to college, so in my spare time I will be jealously watching your kids and others carry it forward.
Not qualified to coach. Never played hockey, heck, I have a lot of trouble even trying to skate, let alone stopping..... I didn't really know a lot about hockey until I went to BSU and went to a game my freshman year. Fell in love with it, and now am glad the kiddos love the game as well. We billet for the Blizzard as well, so that keeps us really hopping.

I have been very impressed with the coaching and how well practices are run at the mite level. One more year left on that and then onto Squirts!

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am

BSUBeaver wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 am
zooomx wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:47 pm
BSUBeaver wrote:

Not qualified to coach. Never played hockey, heck, I have a lot of trouble even trying to skate, let alone stopping..... I didn't really know a lot about hockey until I went to BSU and went to a game my freshman year. Fell in love with it, and now am glad the kiddos love the game as well. We billet for the Blizzard as well, so that keeps us really hopping.

I have been very impressed with the coaching and how well practices are run at the mite level. One more year left on that and then onto Squirts!
Well, here I thought you were a certain BSU Hockey Alumni in town. Your background is almost exactly like mine. If you ever want to get more involved off the ice, message me and I will help point you in the right direction.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 pm

zooomx wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am

Well, here I thought you were a certain BSU Hockey Alumni in town. Your background is almost exactly like mine. If you ever want to get more involved off the ice, message me and I will help point you in the right direction.
Thanks! Sent you a message.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:55 am

BSUBeaver wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 pm
zooomx wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks! Sent you a message.
I replied!