Moving to Minnesota for HS Hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Moving to Minnesota for HS Hockey

Post by O-townClown » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Some recent comments have me thinking. Is it GOOD or BAD that kids move in to play Minnesota HS hockey? Some examples:

Rob Granato from one of the most prominent families in American hockey to play on a state championship team at Burnsville.
TJ Oshie migrating from Seattle to Warroad to play where his family has roots.
David Eddy (I think) coming from California to play at Woodbury.
Future NHL player Dan Plante, now an agent, relocating from Hayward, WI to Edina for a couple years of HS hockey
Edina winning the state title in 1984 with two players that had just arrived from California.

Recent players that have gotten attention and generated some negative comments are Louden Hogg of Wyoming playing in goal for Edina's 2019 state championship team and Ben Steeves possibly playing for Eden Prairie this year. Edina's girls have the player from Idaho. St. Cloud Cathedral won Class A with Jackson Savoie from Jacksonville.

Good or bad thing?
Be kind. Rewind.

Slap Shot

Re: Moving to Minnesota for HS Hockey

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 am

Edina was a rival of ours. I was a So. in '84 and had no idea they had 2 CA transplants on the roster so I wonder if most people are even aware of it. Hopefully in some of these cases they take up roots in the state after their playing days are over (like so many former North Stars and Wild players not from here) and help grow the game which could be a long term positive. If they're obviously only in it for short term gain the concept does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

I'm more bothered by the frequency of 'shady' transfers than I am by people moving here.

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:49 am

It is a bad thing because of the tension it creates in the community. No player moves in to a particular community to play hockey unless they have been promised something by the coaches. The parents in the community know this and it makes the coaches out to be duplicitous a-holes, because while they are telling other kids they have a shot to make the team, they know full well they have already promised a spot to someone else, and will give that someone else all kinds of opportunity in order to live up to their promise. Meanwhile, the top kids parents love it, especially if the new kid doesn't play the same position as their kid, because they think it will help their own kids be "winners". While the parents of the kids perceived to be not as good as the move-in kid, just want to punch the new kid's parents in the face for lessening their own kid's chances of making the team. But of course, they can't do that, they have to pretend to like the new kid's parents, so the new kid's parents will like them and tell the coach what great people they are.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 am

For every TJ Oshie there are 1,000 plus families out there where things don't work out.

The bottom line is like or not, HS hockey is no longer a community sport. It's now a group of all star teams. AAA hockey has had a lot to do with this as friendships are made during the spring and these ideas got tossed around in the parking lots. Social media and the hype of the state tournament also lead to these families moving around.

I'd love to see the rosters of the top ten HS teams for this year and along side the players names would be how long the kid has worn that towns logo (Answers could be since squirts, pee wee's, bantams, HS or some cases FIRST YEAR)

I would be willing to bet that one MAYBE two top 10 team have a complete roster where every kid has played for that town association since Squirts. I wouldn't be shocked to see most teams having 5-7 lets call them "new" kids (remember some kids in the metro area don't play squirt and/or pee wee for their association instead opting to play a year or two at MN Made).

So maybe someone with the resources could do this as a fun experiment (either take last years top 10 teams or wait for this years rosters to come out)...

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:31 am

Shocking that another starry eyed hockey dad with deep pockets would think his kids should be put at the front of the line.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:24 am
For every TJ Oshie there are 1,000 plus families out there where things don't work out.

The bottom line is like or not, HS hockey is no longer a community sport. It's now a group of all star teams. AAA hockey has had a lot to do with this as friendships are made during the spring and these ideas got tossed around in the parking lots. Social media and the hype of the state tournament also lead to these families moving around.

I'd love to see the rosters of the top ten HS teams for this year and along side the players names would be how long the kid has worn that towns logo (Answers could be since squirts, pee wee's, bantams, HS or some cases FIRST YEAR)

I would be willing to bet that one MAYBE two top 10 team have a complete roster where every kid has played for that town association since Squirts. I wouldn't be shocked to see most teams having 5-7 lets call them "new" kids (remember some kids in the metro area don't play squirt and/or pee wee for their association instead opting to play a year or two at MN Made).

So maybe someone with the resources could do this as a fun experiment (either take last years top 10 teams or wait for this years rosters to come out)...
That would be very interesting!!

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:

Great post. I would add Youth Hockey Hub and these elite leagues as influences to the formation of these “All star teams”.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 am

If my kid is a good hockey player and I have the flexibility to move to Minnesota and work for Target, 3M etc or work from home, I'm going to move to Edina, Wayzata, EP, Maple Grove. If the wife and other siblings and most of all the hockey player impacted are on board, there is nothing wrong with that. Hell, the state tourism office should be giving high fives in the lobby when this happens. It's compliment to our state, communities and our state schools/high school hockey programs. If two parents are upset that their kid is going to lose ice time as a result of the move in, have them move to Dassle Cokato and play for the Dragons and make it to the class A tourney. GB

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am

Another comment, when I was in Junior High, High School...I couldn't wait until the first day of school, hoping that we had two or three move ins that would help our football, hockey, baseball, basketball teams. GB

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:54 am

GoldenBear wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 am
If my kid is a good hockey player and I have the flexibility to move to Minnesota and work for Target, 3M etc or work from home, I'm going to move to Edina, Wayzata, EP, Maple Grove. If the wife and other siblings and most of all the hockey player impacted are on board, there is nothing wrong with that. Hell, the state tourism office should be giving high fives in the lobby when this happens. It's compliment to our state, communities and our state schools/high school hockey programs. If two parents are upset that their kid is going to lose ice time as a result of the move in, have them move to Dassle Cokato and play for the Dragons and make it to the class A tourney. GB
So why don’t you move to Dassle Cokato. Oh wait, because it’s all about you.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:56 am

Post your two top ten lists. First list, top 10 high school programs in the state with outside transfers. (Public and private) second list, top 10 programs that seem to do it mostly with their own kids. Wouldn’t it be interesting if on roster sheets given out to fans at games. For each player on the roster, list the different schools the player has skated for since peewee level.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am

Huh? Please read my post again. This topic must be very close to home for you. Didn't mean to rub anything into your wound. GB

OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:10 am

For all of the talk that out-of-state players seem to generate, I tend to agree with what was posted earlier - it's the kids moving intrastate that seem to make up the bulk of new faces on teams. Kids that jump programs that are perpetually weaker (and continue to be so) in order to play on programs that are perpetually stronger (and continue to be so).

I guess I would be interested in knowing what factors lead someone to make that decision. Is it the chance to play in the high school tournament? Is it because they want to be on a team that wins more (but doesn't progress to the tournament)? Do they think the coaching or culture is better? My guess - anecdotal at best - is that they leave because they think it's going to help with their continuing to play hockey after high school. I wonder how many of these moves actually result in that type of outcome.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:16 am

SSC, sorry I didn't answer your question. Answer: Because my kid is a very good hockey player and when I asked him if he wanted to play hockey at Dassle Cokato or Edina, he said, "Dad I love hockey and thanks for giving me the opportunity to see how good I will be, I hear Edina has won many state championships in hockey, also Interlachen is a really good golf course and I'd love to play golf there instead of Cokato Town and Country." When I asked my daughter if she wanted to move to Edina, she said " YES! thanks dad!, I hear they have a great tennis team and I'd like to try and play tennis at Edina. Also, Dad, isn't that where Marty Nanne lives? I think he's so Hunky Delicious Looking!!" GB

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 am

Funny GB....I have NO problems with anyone who wants to move to Edina...for multiple reasons

My issue with "moving" is the when...Squirts...ok...pee wee...ok....Junior year of High School...Probably not...When it's that late in the game families are just chasing something, running away from something or in many cases, BOTH

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:30 am

YesIPlayed: I Agree 100% with you GB

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 am

Scandinavian immigrant families should obviously have highest priority : :D

- in line with state history
- strong/strongest youth hockey
- generally bigger body
- most likely to increase our ultimate Mshsl
Nhl draft Ratio
- know how to shovel snow
- don’t complain
- low drama rate

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 am
Funny GB....I have NO problems with anyone who wants to move to Edina...for multiple reasons

My issue with "moving" is the when...Squirts...ok...pee wee...ok....Junior year of High School...Probably not...When it's that late in the game families are just chasing something, running away from something or in many cases, BOTH
Agree 10000000000%
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:29 am

Seen more than a fair share of kids move in from out state who's parents chase the dream. From one dad, "MN hockey is WAY different than *****, my kid was a superstar there, average when he got here." More fail to reach the dream than actually achieve it.

knights58

Post by knights58 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 pm
Some recent comments have me thinking. Is it GOOD or BAD that kids move in to play Minnesota HS hockey? Some examples:

Rob Granato from one of the most prominent families in American hockey to play on a state championship team at Burnsville.
TJ Oshie migrating from Seattle to Warroad to play where his family has roots.
David Eddy (I think) coming from California to play at Woodbury.
Future NHL player Dan Plante, now an agent, relocating from Hayward, WI to Edina for a couple years of HS hockey
Edina winning the state title in 1984 with two players that had just arrived from California.

Recent players that have gotten attention and generated some negative comments are Louden Hogg of Wyoming playing in goal for Edina's 2019 state championship team and Ben Steeves possibly playing for Eden Prairie this year. Edina's girls have the player from Idaho. St. Cloud Cathedral won Class A with Jackson Savoie from Jacksonville.

Good or bad thing?

Just a quick fact on Jackson Savoie "moving here to play hockey". He and his family are originally from St. Cloud and relocated to Florida. His grandparents etc still live here. So there was a natural pipeline here which is how he ended up in MN and at Cathedral.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Dassel, not dassle :roll:

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
The bottom line is like or not, HS hockey is no longer a community sport. It's now a group of all star teams.
Nah, it’s more like college sports. The top schools attract top players while the mediocre and small schools have just the locals. Also, just like other college sports, the areas rich with talent tend to lose a bunch but also keep more than they lose.

I can tell you my high school hasn’t made state since the early eighties, we lost a few to private, and only one or two of our players could crack the lineup at Edina. I’d say that’s probably a similar story as most of the under the radar teams in the state.

It’s not an epidemic, just certain schools.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:35 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:

Got that right!! Look at EP

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:35 am
yesiplayedhockey wrote:

Got that right!! Look at EP
Using last year's roster as a starting point, LN will have at least 6 this year who did not play association hockey for LN and who either moved-in (1), or open enrolled (5):

AA, CS, TS, KK (move-in), SE, BM

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Curious what people think of Minnesota Made kids that begin their development outside an association & then move in, whether it's 2nd year of squirts or when in Pee Wees or Bantams.....

There was a story (whether it was true or not) about Brandon Steege, who played at Burnsville in '90, wanted to transfer to Edina, but Ikola didn't promise him a spot on the team, only saying that he would have to tryout. Steege decided to transfer to Richfield & play with Darby & Dan Hendrickson for the 90-91 season, one in which Richfield defeated Edina 3 times, including 4-2 in the section final....

Would Steege have been the difference between who won section 6 that year? Not only that, would Steege have been the difference in the state semifinal against Duluth East, one East won in OT, had he stayed at Burnsville?