YHH Summer HS Hockey Podcast 2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InThePipes

Re: YHH Summer HS Hockey Podcast 2019

Post by InThePipes » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:11 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:27 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:03 pm
Specifically how are some associations "covered" by yhh.com in a way disproportionately with the coverage you think yhh.com should instead be providing?
That's like when my wife nags on me for never doing the dishes and then I say that I do in fact do them from time to time and she says "oh yeah, when have you done the dishes?"

I should expand that comment / opinion of mine to include Twitter I guess and also include AAA hockey.

Examples:
-When Gentry was a sponsor they talked about / mentioned their kids all of the time
-When an 04 who attended SSM had a parent working there, mentioned a lot
-When a really rich dude bought MAP S from MAP N and subsequently a piece of BEL to ensure his kid(s) and their buddies had a place to train / play and who happens to be a sponsor on YHH...you see a ton of stuff about their AAA teams and MAP S
I must be missing something, isn't this how a sponsorship is supposed to work?

Business A pays Business B money, in return Business B publicizes whatever it is Business A wants publicized.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:28 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:11 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:27 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:03 pm
Specifically how are some associations "covered" by yhh.com in a way disproportionately with the coverage you think yhh.com should instead be providing?
That's like when my wife nags on me for never doing the dishes and then I say that I do in fact do them from time to time and she says "oh yeah, when have you done the dishes?"

I should expand that comment / opinion of mine to include Twitter I guess and also include AAA hockey.

Examples:
-When Gentry was a sponsor they talked about / mentioned their kids all of the time
-When an 04 who attended SSM had a parent working there, mentioned a lot
-When a really rich dude bought MAP S from MAP N and subsequently a piece of BEL to ensure his kid(s) and their buddies had a place to train / play and who happens to be a sponsor on YHH...you see a ton of stuff about their AAA teams and MAP S
I must be missing something, isn't this how a sponsorship is supposed to work?

Business A pays Business B money, in return Business B publicizes whatever it is Business A wants publicized.
Except the original post I was responding to said YHH champions hockey and I simply pointed out that YHH champions hockey...that is financially beneficial.

But to your point...that's probably why we rarely see much of / anything about Machine or Blades in the summer...they don't give YHH any money.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:29 pm

Questions about business models and the direction of youth sports or parent actions are perfectly fair game, but let's leave the personal attacks out of this.

My only other comment on this whole topic is that, if profit margin were all that were driving YHH, this podcast surely would not exist.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 am

Karl, Danny and Tony thanks for the podcasts. They are very enjoyable and informative. Keep them coming. GB

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:56 am

GoldenBear wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 am
Karl, Danny and Tony thanks for the podcasts. They are very enjoyable and informative. Keep them coming. GB
Agree. People on the forum are probably some of the most passionate out there, but it is amazing the level of resentment some folks have against those who run certain organizations, schools, leagues or events. I am not trying to defend anyone, there are great people out there and then there are a few that leave a little to be desired, but let's ask ourselves a few questions.

Are these people trying to make a buck? Yep
Do they favor certain players or people? Yep
Is that how almost every other aspect of life (work, school, other sports, entertainment, government, etc.) works? Yep
Last edited by InThePipes on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:27 am

I am not resentful. Just calling out the obvious arrogance of some and the fact that HS hockey is speeding away from community based hockey. Yeah like every thing else in life it’s driven by money. In this case “Daddy’s money”.

cigar

Post by cigar » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am

and the next sentence you bitch about how much money you think they make....

you make simple mathematics based on ice time, refs, costs, etc... Now add to that staff costs, equipment costs, insurance costs, car and lodging costs, etc..... I don't believe they are making as much as you think... the guy works 7/24.... if you figure out what he makes an hour it wouldn't come to much.. He and his staff deserve what they make.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:45 am

cigar wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am
:lol:

chanstorm2

Post by chanstorm2 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:48 am

Great one!
Anyway, can anyone confirm if these guys are on Spotify? or no?
It'd be a great help
"We'll beat trashka next year boys!"

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm

cigar wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am

you make simple mathematics based on ice time, refs, costs, etc... Now add to that staff costs, equipment costs, insurance costs, car and lodging costs, etc..... I don't believe they are making as much as you think... the guy works 7/24.... if you figure out what he makes an hour it wouldn't come to much.. He and his staff deserve what they make.
Fine, let's do some simple math:
Stars of Tomorrow - Bloomington (not sure why YHH would have car and lodging costs though for in-town tourney)

10 age groups (boys + girls), 40 teams total, 17 kids per team, 680 kids * $215 fee per kid = $146,200
*And since it's a stay and play tourney...they usually get x-amount of dollars per hotel room, per night...but we won't factor that into this

Ice: 80 games * $200 per game = $16,000 (that should include staff for concessions too since I'm guessing the rink keeps those profits for youth program)
Refs: 80 games * $120 per game (we'll assum $60 per ref, per game) = $9,600
Scorekeepers: 80 games * $40 per game = $3,200
Staff: 80 games * $60 = $4,800 (I'm assuming 1 YHH staff person per game)
Uni's: 680 players * $40 = $27,200 (jersey & socks...might be even less, would think a person gets a discount on a Qty of 680)
Swag: 680 players * $20 = $13,600 (I might be a little generous on this too...may be a lot less if you're ordering 680)
Expenses: $74,400....let's round up to $80,000

That's still $66K

Let's throw out a conservative number for insurance...say $10K

Still leaves you with $56K

Paycheck hockey baby!
Last edited by thefatcat on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:29 pm
Questions about business models and the direction of youth sports or parent actions are perfectly fair game, but let's leave the personal attacks out of this.

My only other comment on this whole topic is that, if profit margin were all that were driving YHH, this podcast surely would not exist.
If he can talk trash about an 11 year old hockey player around 4-5 of his bobo's when he thinks no one else is listening...I believe calling out perceived character flaws in a public forum shouldn't be off the table.

I mean technically, isn't he a public figure? He likes to have his picture taken with each POTG at his tournaments and plaster it on their website and twitter feed...because it's all about him.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:52 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm
karl(east) wrote:

If he can talk trash about an 11 year old hockey player around 4-5 of his bobo's when he thinks no one else is listening...I believe calling out perceived character flaws in a public forum shouldn't be off the table.

I mean technically, isn't he a public figure? He likes to have his picture taken with each POTG at his tournaments and plaster it on their website and twitter feed...because it's all about him.
Fatcat...dude, you are way out of your depth. Tony does a TON to promote Yourh Hockey in MN, and his motivation is for a hell of a lot more reasons than just the almighty 💰The guy loves what he does and loves to see youth hockey players succeed. Jealousy & envy are not admirable traits...get a clue.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:56 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:52 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm
karl(east) wrote:

Fatcat...dude, you are way out of your depth. Tony does a TON to promote Yourh Hockey in MN, and his motivation is for a hell of a lot more reasons than just the almighty 💰The guy loves what he does and loves to see youth hockey players succeed. Jealousy & envy are not admirable traits...get a clue.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think that I am that far off the mark and the number of people who share the same opinion continues to grow. For the record, I am not jealous nor envious...appalled is more applicable.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:58 am

There has always been a debate on this forum since its inception 20+ years ago about when it is fair game to go after a kid, and for 20+ years there has been no real answer; if you are Tim Poehling and your goal on here is to promote your kids well then there is an inherent different standard than a kid playing left wing at Princeton who missed a back check coverage. But because this forum is anonymous that line gets blurred pretty easily. We all need to think twice before we post a negative on a kid, after all they are kids.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm

One thing that did give me a chuckle is how dismissive two of the podcast crew were of the accuracy of the forum rumor mill, when nearly every transfer or new addition mentioned on the podcast has been discussed, often in a definitive manner, on this here “bored.”

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Fatcat, not to beat this topic to death

Not all that close to all of YHH activities , but since I’m often accused of being the Alt YHH personality , ill throw out a few comments

Whenever I’m at one of these YHH youth tourneys , when I walk around or look in the rink office I usually see 5 or 6 YHH guys working the event over and above the refs . Several of whom are full time they tell me . Got to also cover salaries, travel costs , media and video , etc

And I’m sure there are background admin staff handling signup arrangements , insurance , rink arrangement , hotel arrangements , bookkeeping and so forth . Not sure how many full time but I bet a few

Having been thru quite a few of these youth trnys with my grandsons families , it’s hard to remember many glitches at all in terms of execution so the quality is pretty good . I can only remember one time when the BIG staff screwed up and double booked a time slot which wasn’t caught in advance .

Im sure there is always some player and parent drama , not easy to constantly handed all that

Same thing at the BEL , and I’m sure Todd alone is going to rack up 150-200 one minute interviews , which probably take 30 minutes each when you count prep and setup . Not to mention travel time. Todd and Peter do a great job prepping the kids so they learn from the experience. Then there is the livestream and announcers, like pro Jeff Papas for playoff weekend .

I think there are probably a dozen or more announcers and cameramen on call for all these events because I’ve probably gotten to know most of them myself

Insurance costs can’t be cheap for all of this

Events and sponsors have got to cover the non revenue costs . Like the website and the podcasts , and expanded coverage of boys and girls high school , in the last few years . Think of all the pro announcers on the high school circuit now , like John Conley just to name one, and guest appearances by who’s who in hockey

When you add it all up, I’m sure YHH has had pretty nice revenue growth , but like with most
startups during growth phase I would guess the bottom line is not all that fantastic . And a guy has to pay his bills including kids college, and get a premium for his business investment

Just some random thought

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:35 am

I think YHH has done decent job of showcasing the game of hockey here in Minnesota. I am not a big fan of singling out squirt aged best type players in the state (pee wee as well). That time will come at bantam and HS levels as the kids mature their game. Would prefer to see YHH follow the players through junior and college levels.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:42 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:35 am
I think YHH has done decent job of showcasing the game of hockey here in Minnesota. I am not a big fan of singling out squirt aged best type players in the state (pee wee as well). That time will come at bantam and HS levels as the kids mature their game. Would prefer to see YHH follow the players through junior and college levels.
Someone should start Adult Hockey Hub (AHH) for those players :lol:

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:15 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:42 pm
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:35 am
Someone should start Adult Hockey Hub (AHH) for those players :lol:
Haha yeah! Websters definition is fairly forgiving :wink: