Will Curt Giles ever get his due?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueblood

Re: Will Curt Giles ever get his due?

Post by blueblood » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 pm

karl(east): =D>
Play Like a Champion Today

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Karl, I think you've got it. When you take everything into consideration these guys are doing a great job. Ken Pauly too, and a few others.

I'll be the first one to say it. Edina will do better than they are expected to this season because of Curt Giles.
Be kind. Rewind.

LetMeEatCake

Post by LetMeEatCake » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am

karl(east) wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Personality/intangibles

Giles: I think being as reserved as he is keeps him from sometimes getting as much attention as he could. He could probably have a more iconic status if Edina played on Hockey Day every time they were invited or if he gave long interviews at every opportunity. I suspect Curt is perfectly content not to do any of that, but I also think it is a factor in how much attention his reputation, in turn, gets.
Karl, brilliant as always. Having worked within Edina's AD and speaking with Curt here and there, this is spot on. He doesn't want the spotlight on him and he has done a brilliant job with building a culture outside of having the embarrassment of riches.

I am biased, but I think he will go down as a Top 5 coach in MN history. I mean a current 411-117-21 record with 4 titles, 5 appearances, 2 3rd place finishes and so many State appearances alone could put him there, but the personality really makes him special.

Would I love to see him accept a Hockey Day invite and play it in Edina? Duh! But I give him massive amounts of credit and respect for being himself and not participating in things that he sees as a distraction for his squad.
I can have my cake and eat it too.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm

I'm willing to bet that Curt doesn't care if he gets his "dues". Seems to enjoy what he does, stays above the fray in regard to parent drama (which is impressive inside the bubble) and every time I see him in public (with or without family) he just looks like a guy who wants to be left alone.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Good stuff Karl =D>

The guy doesn't need the spotlight. More importantly - he cares about his players.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 pm

It's interesting to see how many different styles there are of being an effective coach. Giles is as reserved as they come. Randolph isn't particularly vocal on the bench either, but has a comfort level with the media. Both are very intense in their own ways. Lechner, less so, but he does it with high expectations that set the bar. Pauly, who could easily have been on my list alongside the four I chose, meanwhile, is intense and about as loud as they come on the bench, but doesn't seem intimidating to me in the way that Giles or Randolph might. And then you have people like Bruce Plante, kept things about as loose as possible.

I would be comfortable placing both Giles and Randolph on a top 5 all-time list based on their current resumes. Giles is now 3rd on the all-time championship list (one behind Saterdalen); Randolph is 2nd in state appearances (one behind Ikola) and 3rd in all-time wins. Kind of baffling to think Curt is heading into his 21st season with the Hornets now.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:10 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:47 pm
It's interesting to see how many different styles there are of being an effective coach. Giles is as reserved as they come. Randolph isn't particularly vocal on the bench either, but has a comfort level with the media. Both are very intense in their own ways. Lechner, less so, but he does it with high expectations that set the bar. Pauly, who could easily have been on my list alongside the four I chose, meanwhile, is intense and about as loud as they come on the bench, but doesn't seem intimidating to me in the way that Giles or Randolph might. And then you have people like Bruce Plante, kept things about as loose as possible.

I would be comfortable placing both Giles and Randolph on a top 5 all-time list based on their current resumes. Giles is now 3rd on the all-time championship list (one behind Saterdalen); Randolph is 2nd in state appearances (one behind Ikola) and 3rd in all-time wins. Kind of baffling to think Curt is heading into his 21st season with the Hornets now.
Not that it factors into the conversation with any relevance - but let's not forget he's somewhat of an "iconic" former player as well. Played 2 seasons for the Humboldt Broncos, 4 for UMD, and 14 years in the NHL (12 with the North Stars). He's never (that I know of) pulled the "do you know who I am" card. He's a huge memory for many of us in what Norm Green took away. He's also a transplant who made his home here after loving the state he played college and pro in (originally from Manitoba and played once on the Canadian Olympic team).

I would be curious if (or how many times) he's been approached for much bigger coaching or scouting jobs. I doubt he stays for the money ;)

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 am

Let's not forget they cut 3/4 of the players that tryout for HS, law of averages and history shows he has more talent as a whole than most schools every year to choose from (except MG from #'s). He should be able to win more consistently. Not saying anything about him not being a good coach, but some teams have enough talent to just win consistently, for sure he helps but even he will tell you he gets a glut of talent every year, makes his job easier.

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 am

PuckNA wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 am
Let's not forget they cut 3/4 of the players that tryout for HS, law of averages and history shows he has more talent as a whole than most schools every year to choose from (except MG from #'s). He should be able to win more consistently. Not saying anything about him not being a good coach, but some teams have enough talent to just win consistently, for sure he helps but even he will tell you he gets a glut of talent every year, makes his job easier.
Just for the sake of conversation, and a we bit of distracted thinking, What would things be like if some of our big-name coaches either switched teams for a season or had some sort of a rotational. Systems would not be very applicable, as I know some of these coaches have been implementing the same system for years within the youth levels so they are ready for the high school team.

This would be pretty interesting to see if Edina's championships are due to numbers, or coaching; to see if DE's championship kryptonite is Randolph's style of play, or once again numbers. Just naming two pretty easy to identify trends.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 am

PuckNA wrote:
You would think of the players that get cut from Edina. You could take those boys that were cut, put a team together, it would compete for an A championship every year, and be able to beat many AA squads.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 am

How many Edina JGA teams have won championships? I don't know... just asking...

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am

Answered my own question:

Jr Gold A state champs: 6x since 2009
Jr Gold Runner ups: 4x since 2009

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm

kniven wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 am
PuckNA wrote:
You would think of the players that get cut from Edina. You could take those boys that were cut, put a team together, it would compete for an A championship every year, and be able to beat many AA squads.
Their Youth Peewee A and Bantam A teams have done well against the Northern A and AA programs when I have seen them at some of the Roseau Tournaments.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 pm

kniven wrote:
PuckNA wrote:
I think they would be pretty good, but this might be an overreach. Possibly ranked 8-12 or so in Class A most years, but would struggle with the top 5 teams. They might be able to beat some AA squads... not sure many is the right word. But who knows.

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:13 pm

As long as your talking Edina youth hockey.
They are hosting the Bantam AA and A state tournaments
this year.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:28 pm

zooomx wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 pm
kniven wrote:
PuckNA wrote:
I think they would be pretty good, but this might be an overreach. Possibly ranked 8-12 or so in Class A most years, but would struggle with the top 5 teams. They might be able to beat some AA squads... not sure many is the right word. But who knows.
For reference. Edina at Bantam A State Championships recently:
2019--4th
2018--Champions
2017--Champions
2016--went 0-2
2015--2nd.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Goose21 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:28 pm
zooomx wrote:
kniven wrote:

2019--4th
2018--Champions
2017--Champions
2016--went 0-2
2015--2nd.
If you based their projection on the youth "A" teams they would do very well. More likely to be in the top 5 than struggle with the top 5. In LPH Bantam A ended at 5 and PeeWee A ended at 2. For the most part those rankings wouldn't be considered an anomaly either.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Various people seem to project them in lower top 10 or just out of top ten this year . The issue will be who will score points and how many.

Clark may need a year or two . Presently out with sore back I’m told , maybe thru Oct

Can D and Hogg limit opponents to 1 or 2 goals ? Can F play a consistent physical forecheck game ? Giles may have to deploy diff strategies from recent years

CakeScout is more on top of situation , will defer to him

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Goose21 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:28 pm
zooomx wrote:
kniven wrote:

2019--4th
2018--Champions
2017--Champions
2016--went 0-2
2015--2nd.
Do all of their Bantams move on to try out for Edina High School, or do they lose some good players to privates or other schools? Part of my comments are based on the assumption they lose some of these kids. Also, I think part of their success at Youth "A" levels is the fact that they have no borderline "B" players on those youth Bantam/Pee Wee "A" teams. Many of the teams they compete with at youth "A" (general speaking) have a handful of "AA" quality players, some true "A" players and a third line of borderline "B" players. When I have seen Edina at the "A" youth level, they typically don't have players that blow your doors off, but they also have zero weaker players. Their talent level is pretty even across the board. The true "A" top line typically out plays Edina's top line. Its the second and third line where Edina seems to have the advantage. At least that is what I remember a few years back. Oh... and they have a system, which cannot be overstated. Always seem to be very well coached and in position. The true "A" teams are more hit and miss when it comes to systems and overall puck discipline.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 pm

PuckNA wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 am
How many Edina JGA teams have won championships? I don't know... just asking..
Here's an article on Edina's Junior Gold team and head coach, with a few quotes from his longtime co-coach.

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/909643
Be kind. Rewind.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:01 pm

I'll say one huge difference between Giles and Randolph is that Giles cares only about his team. Randolph only cares about winning games and will destroy a kids potential in order to play a style that helps the team win. If a kid wants to develop he doesn't go to East HS he goes to Edina. That right there is the reason why Giles is a better coach because coaching isn't only about winning especially at this level.

Whether Giles wants to or not, he will go down as a legend in this state but it probably won't really be recognized until he steps away.

PuckNA

Post by PuckNA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:35 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:01 pm
I'll say one huge difference between Giles and Randolph is that Giles cares only about his team. Randolph only cares about winning games and will destroy a kids potential in order to play a style that helps the team win. If a kid wants to develop he doesn't go to East HS he goes to Edina. That right there is the reason why Giles is a better coach because coaching isn't only about winning especially at this level.

Whether Giles wants to or not, he will go down as a legend in this state but it probably won't really be recognized until he steps away.
Depends who you talk to, I have heard quite a few grumblings about "running an NHL style bench". Then again it may be sour grapes from kids not playing. I in no way doubt his knowledge or ability to coach, but again you get to cut 3/4 kids who tryout, you get talent, not a lot of other programs get to have those numbers to choose from and groom. For sure he knows and can hopefully instruct to develop as good as anyone, has good staff around him as well, time will tell. I would love to see what some of these coaches do with less talent and numbers, some HS AA programs rarely have to make significant cuts compared to Edina, MG, etc... Osseo had to go find kids to fill out a HS roster, and they weren't the only ones.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:49 pm

He's a great coach, who has top end talent every year to chose from. If he wasn't a great coach, they would run him out of there faster than you can snap off a twisted wrister.