2020 MS Goalie

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mnnstar

2020 MS Goalie

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Let the debate begin
Does playing boys qualify?
Because there are 4 girls playing boys this year and they are the 4 best girls in the state.
1 senior 3 juniors so this could be a two year debate.

nu2hockey

Re: 2020 MS Goalie

Post by nu2hockey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:01 pm

I dont believe Rooney won....not sure if she was considered..if you think about it...the two goalie awards are for each "league"...so most likely those girls would only be eligible in the "league" (boys) that they play in..

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:46 pm

What if you self-identify as a unicorn? :lol:

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:50 pm

I am interested to hear who's on the candidate list. Maybe Beeman from BSM? Maybe Pelkey behind a super strong Andover team?

Unpaidscout

Post by Unpaidscout » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:01 pm
Let the debate begin
Because there are 4 girls playing boys this year and they are the 4 best girls in the state.
Who are the three juniors and on what teams?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:22 pm

Unpaidscout wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:30 pm
Mnnstar wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:01 pm
Let the debate begin
Who are the three juniors and on what teams?
My guesses are:

Skylar Vetter on Lakeville North
Hannah Skavnak on Rogers
Alex Pellicci on Holy Family

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:54 am

I don't follow girls high school hockey as closely as I used to, but I am a huge fan of the women's team at the U of M. In my opinion the Gophs have not had a truly elite college net minder since Amanda Leveille, and before her, Noora Raty. So it's been about 5 years since the home team has had a goalie that could be compared with the top goalies in the country.

My question is, are there any out there in Minnesota high school hockey who could someday realistically assume the No. 1 goalie position at the U, and ultimately be ranked with the best, if not THEE best, in all of D1?

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:10 am

Pellici is playing boys for HF.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:49 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:54 am
I don't follow girls high school hockey as closely as I used to, but I am a huge fan of the women's team at the U of M. In my opinion the Gophs have not had a truly elite college net minder since Amanda Leveille, and before her, Noora Raty. So it's been about 5 years since the home team has had a goalie that could be compared with the top goalies in the country.

My question is, are there any out there in Minnesota high school hockey who could someday realistically assume the No. 1 goalie position at the U, and ultimately be ranked with the best, if not THEE best, in all of D1?
Vetter to the U
Pellici to Harvard
Skavnak to Mankato
MY daughter to Penn State

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:15 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:

Vetter will be - she is the best youth goalie in the country right now and by far the best female HS goalie in the state.

As far as Ms. Goalie, it is pretty simple and no real debate. The goalies made their choice to prepare for the next level, which is a personal choice and I respect that. However, making that choice removes them from consideration for the Ms. Hockey award, as they do not play girl's HS hockey. They could be considered for the top goalie award on the boys side. However, from a previous post, Zambonidriver indicated the Sr. Goalie doesn't care about awards, so there should be no issue there.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:15 am
MNHockeyFan wrote:

Vetter will be - she is the best youth goalie in the country right now and by far the best female HS goalie in the state.

As far as Ms. Goalie, it is pretty simple and no real debate. The goalies made their choice to prepare for the next level, which is a personal choice and I respect that. However, making that choice removes them from consideration for the Ms. Hockey award, as they do not play girl's HS hockey. They could be considered for the top goalie award on the boys side. However, from a previous post, Zambonidriver indicated the Sr. Goalie doesn't care about awards, so there should be no issue there.
Of course Northwoods I am going to dis agree with your opinion here.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am

zambonidriver wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

Of course Northwoods I am going to disagree with your opinion here. I think my daughter Has proven herself over her career. Though you are entitled to your opinion. You are 100 percent right my daughter could care less about the awards. I am much more mellow and calmer zambonidriver your troll effort was nice though. Must be the time on the pontoon :D
Last edited by zambonidriver on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:18 am

I guess I was more interested in a discussion of where the award is headed as it is pretty obvious that the 4 top goalies in the state are all playing boys.
I have heard that this is a trend more than a fad as Blaine's top female goalie is also playing boys.
Based on your post Northwoods, I would have to say that Anna Larose is probably the preseason leader as she I believe is the only senior that is playing girls hockey that is a division 1 commit.
From what I hear the trend of girls playing boys hockey is being driven by the college coaches specifically the maroon and gold and the red coaches.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am

zambonidriver wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:31 am
zambonidriver wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

Of course Northwoods I am going to disagree with your opinion here. I think my daughter Has proven herself over her career. Though you are entitled to your opinion. You are 100 percent right my daughter could care less about the awards. I am much more mellow and calmer zambonidriver your troll effort was nice though. Must be the time on the pontoon :D
I wasn't trolling and didn't think I disparaged your daughter in anyway, nor would I. I believe I said I respect their choice and they could be considered for the top goalie award on the boys side. I only reference your post, as to what her position on the matter is, which is she doesn't care about the award. Was your disagreement as to how I understood your post and that there shouldn't be an issue?

I will admit that I think your response may be a troll and I may have bit on it.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:19 am

Pardon my confusion and naivete. Why are girls from high schools with girls' hockey programs allowed to play boys hockey in Minnesota?

Nobody asks Paige Bueckers to play boys basketball for Hopkins in order to improve in advance of going to UConn. Nobody asks Natasha Sortland to run boys' cross-country to improve her times and compete. I completely understand the differences between the sports and the arguments that can be made, but these girls could compete against boys, and they don't, and they all turn out just fine.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:50 pm

It is unfortunate that many of these girls are playing boys. I absolutely get why they do it and I do not blame them for their decision. They have their eyes on the next prize which is Division 1 hockey and also USA hockey (national team stuff).

I believe that there is at least a couple of reasons. Again, opinion alert!

Several of the better goalies over the past several years played boys thru Peewee and into Bantam. Rooney was the pioneer of HS boys from my point of view. A couple of now graduated elite goalies who did this are:

Nikki Harnett (2019 HS grad - UNH via Armstrong HS and youth)
Makayla Pahl (2019 HS grad - Gophers via Rochester boys - Mayo boys - Mayo girls her shortened by injury Sr year)
Olivia Bizal (2019 HS grad - retired due to concussions but committed to UMD after playing Hopkins Peewee & maybe 1 yr of bantam, then Hopkins HS girls in 8th grade, then Blake for 2 years)

When you look at the current crop of girls playing boys what do you they have in common? While everyone has their opinion on how good or bad LN, Rogers, HF, and FLAKE will be this year all of them play pretty weak schedules (which means that they are generally facing weaker players as a whole). All of those girls play Elite League and do well against the best in the state. I believe that Larose is a solid goalie but USA hockey thinks that Bothun is better. I agree. Larose plays for NWC. She will face some strong, D1 bound players every day in practice and will play in the Lake Conference this year. That means that she will have at least 1/3 of their schedule will have very elite players trying to score against them. Forest Lake's strength of schedule is not strong. I would argue that they only have 3 games against top 10 teams in their regular season. I do not blame Bothun.

Unfortunately there is not much depth in HS girls hockey. By depth I mean both team excellence and also player depth. Generally all boys teams Varsity and JV have kids that can shoot the puck hard and also do other things that even the above average girls HS player does not do.

One can point to WBL's Frank last season and see that they had a tougher schedule and also had 3 other elite players on her own team to face shots from every day.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

Of course Northwoods I am going to dis agree with your opinion here.
Vetter will be - she is the best youth goalie in the country right now and by far the best female HS goalie in the state. what do you base this claim on? Just curious as you have seen both play quite a bit. I have only seen my daughter.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:54 pm

[/quote]Vetter will be - she is the best youth goalie in the country right now and by far the best female HS goalie in the state. what do you base this claim on? Just curious as you have seen both play quite a bit. I have only seen my daughter.
[/quote]

Ahhh, I got ya. I was responding to MNHockeyFan's question, which pertained to Gopher commits. Your daughter is not a Gopher commit, so no need to mention her in the response.

I will revise my statement a little, as it does read as a matter of fact, instead of a matter of opinion.

"She is considered by most, to be the best female youth goalie in the country, therefore considered the best female HS goalie in the state. So yes, there most likely will be a goalie that will be the #1 Goalie for the Gophers and also be ranked with the best, if not the best, in all of D1.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:54 pm
Vetter will be - she is the best youth goalie in the country right now and by far the best female HS goalie in the state. what do you base this claim on? Just curious as you have seen both play quite a bit. I have only seen my daughter.
[/quote]

Ahhh, I got ya. I was responding to MNHockeyFan's question, which pertained to Gopher commits. Your daughter is not a Gopher commit, so no need to mention her in the response.

I will revise my statement a little, as it does read as a matter of fact, instead of a matter of opinion.

"She is considered by most, to be the best female youth goalie in the country, therefore considered the best female HS goalie in the state. So yes, there most likely will be a goalie that will be the #1 Goalie for the Gophers and also be ranked with the best, if not the best, in all of D1.
[/quote]That being said congratulations to Skylar on being picked to the u-18 national team along with all of the other minnesotans

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:01 pm

Just want to add my opinion that both Bothun and Vetter are the 2 best goalies in the state (goalies that I have seen plenty of to have a legit opinion) right now and specifically for their grades.

One goalie not mentioned here is Corniea. She is really good too.

Vetter > Bothun (but its close...) > Corniea/Skavnak/Pellici (all very close...I personally choose Corniea).

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:44 am

Great to hear the favorable opinions on Miss Vetter. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am

So none of the top girls players in MN play at a HS in which they would not be good enough to make the boys team?

For instance the best girl goalie in the Edina district is not going to play for Edina boys varsity so if she wants to play boys hockey (using Edina has an example only) she's open-enrolling somewhere else?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:32 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 am

Any of the above goalies seeing any ice time? Not sure if injuries are in play or not, but the Hub is showing zero ice time.

The CI goalie (10th grader) had a nice first showing. Although it was a game between maybe the two weakest teams in boys hockey - still a nice first boy's varsity game for her.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:00 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 am
Any of the above goalies seeing any ice time? Not sure if injuries are in play or not, but the Hub is showing zero ice time.

The CI goalie (10th grader) had a nice first showing. Although it was a game between maybe the two weakest teams in boys hockey - still a nice first boy's varsity game for her.
A few games last night and the Hub is still showing zero ice time for the above goalies? Hopefully nothing serious and these goalies will see some ice this year.

CI goalie picked up another win - good for her.