Single A Top 20 - Preseason

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Single A Top 20 - Preseason

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:18 am

1 St Cloud Cathedral
2 East Grand Forks
3 Hermantown
4 Warroad
5 Mahtomedi
6 Alexandria
7 Delano
8 Orono
9 Thief River Falls
10 Sartell
11 Duluth Denfeld
12 Monticello
13 Minnesota River
14 Little Falls
15 Greenway
16 North Branch
17 Mankato East
18 Detroit Lakes
19 Marshall
20 New Ulm

WestMetro

Re: Single A Top 20 - Preseason

Post by WestMetro » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:31 am

EGF is going to be really good .I’m hoping to see them play Orono opening weekend

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 am

Is the kid from Grand Forks (J.P.) crossing over to play for EGF?
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:45 am

Goose21 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 am
To my knowledge he has crossed over the river for school...
with the intent of playing MN hockey.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:45 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:18 am
1 St Cloud Cathedral
2 East Grand Forks
3 Hermantown
4 Warroad
5 Mahtomedi
6 Alexandria
7 Delano
8 Orono
9 Thief River Falls
10 Sartell
11 Duluth Denfeld
12 Monticello
13 Minnesota River
14 Little Falls
15 Greenway
16 North Branch
17 Mankato East
18 Detroit Lakes
19 Marshall
20 New Ulm
I think Greenway is way too low. I know they graduated a few and thin on depth - but they still ave 2 D1 guys - more than a bunch of teams in front of them. I think North Branch is too low as well - they return a lot - I see them 9-11. I also think Eveleth is 10-15 with all that they return. And you will see Tartan and Armstrong jump into the top 20 once the season gets rolling. MN River is way too high - they graduated 5 of their top 6 scorers - I don't think they will be a Top 20 team. Also - keep an eye on Johnson to hover around 20. Solid junior class. But fun to get convo started Ellott!

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:45 am
Goose21 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 am
To my knowledge he has crossed over the river for school...
with the intent of playing MN hockey.
Thanks. That is what I heard as well. EGF is going to be very good.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 am

Single A hockey will be more exciting this year than AA. For me, anyway.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

USA218

Post by USA218 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:40 pm

EGF will be tested before playoffs. Regular season games include
Orono
Delano
Detroit Lakes
St Cloud Cathedral
Mahtomedi
Greenway
Alexandria
Moorhead
Warroad ×2
TRF ×2
Roseau ×2
Bemidji ×2
GF Central ×2
GF Red River ×2
Also has Crox ×2, KCC ×1, LOW ×1 & Bismarck High ×1

In my mind, Cathedral is definitely the front runner for class A but will be a great season as there are so many competitive teams

USA218

Post by USA218 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:43 pm

KCC will surprise people this year. They have some talent on that team. Strong likelihood they finish 4th in Section 8. Could even battle TRF for 3 seed

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Asleep about North Branch...

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:10 pm

I’d be interested if anyone has data on the last time we had this many division one commitments from the A class?

Pertyboy

Post by Pertyboy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 pm

T
Last edited by Pertyboy on Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Rough count of about 10 D1s so Far not counting Bushy. Probably 2-3 more to follow by end of season .

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 am

Cathedral has some scrimmages in SLP Saturday November 16. Not sure on opponents but I’m guessing some good AA teams as this is BSM’s event.

Deathblow

Post by Deathblow » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am

Is everybody from Warroad returning? I was very impressed with them, and they should be better with some champs off the Bantam team.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 am

Dodge county is a top 20 team.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:43 am

WELL, THE SEASON IS UPON US! PRACTICE BEGINS TOMORROW!

What an awesome year to be a Class A Hockey Fan! I think many would agree that this year is unique in that Class A looks to be more entertaining than Class AA. With so many D1 Hockey commits in Class A Looks to be as talented and deep as ever.

Here is my early Look at Class A

Class A 2019-20 Preseason Poll
# 1- East Grand Forks- 5 Elite League Guys (Parker, Poolman, Cooley, Nelson & Ausmus) and add in the nice pick up in UND Commit Panzer to the fold and EGF is very deep and talented. A great coaching staff that knows how to win Won Back to Back titles in 2014 and 15. Finally, some great goaltending (Cooley) the import from across the border who was very solid in Elite League all Fall. EGF will be TOUGH to beat this year; they should have great depth. They always play tough Defense and now with actual Goaltending the weakness in the last few years this looks to be the Pre-season Favorite. The Greenwave finished 4th last year, and a large chunk of that team will be coming back for more this winter add in a few nice imports in key areas EGF is the early Lead Dog.

#2- Hermantown- Biondi returns and he is the best player in the State regardless of Class. A few move-ins will aid him from Ely, Virginia, Illinois and wherever else the Hawks continue to draw from. The pickup Kilen of from Virginia, Lund from Illinois and Pierce from Ely plus a great crop of AA Bantams coming up, and this Team will be loaded and angry after last year's upset. My only question is Goaltending. The Hawks, with Biondi, will be a very tough team to beat. He still hasn't won a Title... This could be his year to win that title and take home Mr.Hockey.

#3- St. Cloud Cathedral- Looks like they have everyone is back for another run at chance to go Back to Back. They have a ton of talent up front (Warner, Smith, Perbix, Hiltner) some great talent on the back end (Bell, Bogenholm, & Zins) and a nice transfer back home (Motzko) that adds great a deal of depth up front to an already talented high-end team. No one will have the number of high-end guys. However, Losing Warner to injury in Elite League and his questionable return is a dagger to this team that I already had questions on their depth and, like Hermantown, I question goaltending here. Still, the Crusaders should be a very elite Class A team all winter.

#4- Mahtomedi- They return their top forwards in Dulak, and Hagstrom they some solid dman back and return Dardis in the net. They will bring up more talent. This is the last of the actual Traditional Class A Power Program over the years not to have a State Title they will have the ability again this winter to end that label.

#5- Warroad- Is it finally a return St Paul for the Warriors... It's been a decade since we have seen the Black and Gold that use to be the Hermantown in Class A. I like this year's version a lot. Not flashy Elite League Names but they will have the Best Forward Slukynsky in 8A if he returns from Fargo. Also return Meeker, Foster, Wilmer, Johnson & Norris and a lot of their kids who played last year and return their veteran Goalie in Foster along with a good crew of Bantams coming off a State Title. Watch out for the Warriors.

#6- Greenway- I know people may have this a tad bit high, but I think the Raiders will be tough again this year. They return Trombley and Miller to anchor the way. They have Vekich, Gernander & Trobyevich as a nice supporting cast and Logan Wright took them on the magic run in the playoffs. Coach Clafton is the best coach in Class A, and they may have a few move-ins up their sleeve again yet? The Raiders will not be easy out in March.

#7- North Branch- The Team without a home rink was another great story last year. This year the Vikings are for real. They return Croal, Sachs & Kirchner upfront. Three of their four Dman who played minutes will be back, and they have a rock in Senior Goalie Turek. North Branch will be a tough team for everyone this winter; rather, they have a home rink or not.

#8- Alexandria- Looks to be tough again this winter. They return Strong, Westlund and Gronhotltz upfront and they have Revering and Birkeland to anchor the backend that has EVERYONE returning. They will need a new goalie and some Bantams to replace a considerable scoring chunk but don't count this team out. An outstanding program with a good core coming back.

#9- Thief River Falls- The Prowlers are my team to be SNEAKY good this winter. It depends on if Bushy comes back or if he stays in Sioux Falls. With Bushy, they will have the Top Dman in 8A and the Top Goalie in 8A in Rupprecht and return 4 of the top 5 leading scorers up front. They also have an excellent Coach. I think the Prowlers might need to be ranked higher just waiting on Bushy. Even without him, they will be very good!

#10- Orono- The State Champion from 2018 will have 3 of their top 5 Scorers returning. Simon, Mohs-Messerli & Bazil Return upfront. After that, though they have a ton to replace. They Lost most of their D and Depth. However, They do Return Grandy in the Net, and they have a great Youth Program to feed into this team. I think the Spartans will be very good this winter if they find Defenseman and Depth.

#11- Tartan- No one is talking about this team in Class A, but they should be. After years of battling the likes of HM, WBL, and Stillwater in 4AA the Titans move down to Class A. After winning 13 games on a mainly AA Schedule this Tartan team will be very tough. They Return 5 of their Top 6 scorers led by Ahn & Schwantes and a ton of Depth. They lose their Starter but return two goalies who saw minutes in Kulevich and Cashin. Don't Sleep on the Titans I think they will be in the Section Final vs. Mahtomedi by year's end.

#12- Delano- They made a nice run at the end of the year, and they return Brown upfront and Kernan on the back end and a goalie that split time all year. They are well-coached and will be very tough come playoffs again in 2A.

#13- Monticello- Don't Sleep on the Moose this year. While they did lose their two leading scorers from last year, they Return their three main pieces of their D-core in (Bocken, Sorenson, Miller ) they also return their Goalie Wilson Nash who won 13 games as a Soph. Last year. They will be well structured and coached, and before last year's Section Semi Upset looked on track to make 3 Straight State Tournaments. If the Moose can find scoring, they should be a Top 15 team again in Class A this winter.

#14- Duluth Denfeld- The Hunters are my mystery team, and I think by year's end will be in the Top 10. Lots of Hype with this group. They have things I like Two 30 Pt guys returning up Front in Lehet & Shea. They return their top Dman in Jouppi and both their Goalies in Easty and Snyder who both can steal games at times. They have a great Coach in Jago who has exceeded expectations in Year 1 & 2, and they bring up an excellent Sophmore class Highlighted by the McClure Twins. They will be a tough team by the end of the year The Hunters are on the RISE!

#15- Little Falls- Keep an eye on the Flyers I think they are going to be very good this winter. They return 6 of their top 8 in scoring. They were mainly sophomores and freshman last year. They have Kuchinski, Filippi, Stevens, Hirsh, and Gustafson to provide a solid scoring punch up front. Majerle and Moore were good young Dman last year, and they return an Excellent Goalie in Couture in the net. The Flyers will be in the Top 15 is not Top 10 this year and should be even better next year because most of these kids are still underclassman. This might be the surprise team of the year.

#16- Eveleth-Gilbert- I am rooting for the Golden Bears this year! The most Historic Iron Range Town of Hockey is going to lose its name soon with the new Co-opt with Virginia on the Horizon. The Team is Loaded! They Return an Elite Forward in Van Orsdel and Dman in Troutwine and a bunch of hard-working kids that will all be seniors. They also return Shuck, who was their primary goalie. This is a heavy Senior Led Team. I think they will be a nightmare to face all year up north. Would be fun to see them be this year's Greenway and make a Magical run to St Paul one more time before their time runs out on a historical program.

#17- Mankato East- Should be the Team coming out of Section 1A this year. They return 5 of their top 7 scorers including Liffrig and Salzle upfront and a very good Dman in Borchardt on the Blue Line. They return their primary goalie in Brueske. They went to State two year's ago with mainly underclassman. Last year as the one seed they were upset in the playoffs. This year a year older, I think you will see them be the representative out of Section 1A.

#18- Sartell- Sabres look to be in a Rebuild year? They lost 12 Seniors (Including their Top Line, four main D, and both Goalies). Yet they Return Scoring Punch with Sophmore Phenom Walters and Zulkosky, Webster, Schiffler saw time at forward. They have a great youth program, and two years ago they were at State for A Bantams.

#19- Breck- While this is not the Breck of old, they should be very competitive this winter. They Return high scoring Junior Courneya upfront and Steady Senior Dman Blake on the blue line. They have some other pieces and have their Goalie in Reiling returning. I think the Mustangs will be bottom of the Top 20 all year in Class A.

#20- Marshall- Gotta give Section 3A their love. This has to be Marshall's year. Last year they went (21-2-1) and were robbed in what sounded like a crazy turn of events down in St Peter in Section Semi-final. This year they bring EVERYBODY BACK but Mason Plante who was a HUGE part of their team. They Have scoring with Whyte, VanDeVere, Frost upfront an Elite Dman in Welvaert and an Elite Goalie I think in Caspers. If Caspers is coming back and not heading to TG Section 3A is Marshall's to lose they return a very nice team.

Class A Teams to Watch-
Dodge County- Could be the Surprise in 1A very weak Section and Lamb is a Stud he and his fellow Sophomores could arrive a year early at the X.

Armstrong- Another Team who dropped down from AA that will be dangerous and plays a mainly AA Schedule all year.

LDC- Will be the main opposition for Marshall in 3A and as we know anything can and will happen in 3A.

Mound Westonka- Lost everyone again this year but last year reloaded nicely and could do the same this year.

St Paul Johnson- I think they will be a Top 20 Team possibly top 15 very nice core coming back. Just how will they handle the "Dream State" distraction al year. Will be very good this year.

South St. Paul - was in section semi's last year in Section 4A - Should have a solid first line with two very good D men. Should hover in bottom of Top 20.

SPA - Four solid D and solid goaltender. They may struggle to score though - but shouldn't give up too many in their end. Was also in section semi's last year in 4A.

After that lots of good Stories-
Class A Section Breakdown-

1A- It's Mankato East's section to lose they bring back the most kids and still have state experience from two years ago. After that, it might be Dodge County as their top competitor keep an eye on this young group throughout the winter.

2A- Delano, and Orono look to be the top two teams and will battle it out. Also, don't lose sight of Breck they had young talent leading the way last season and have been tough come playoffs but not even close to the Breck teams of the old days. Armstrong dropping down from AA could be a good sleeper here. Big numbers to pull from and will be a tough out.

3A- Marshall, LDC, New Ulm I think it's between those three teams. LDC has the most talent but a new coach. Marshall has the best goalie and Dman but lost a ton of scoring. New Ulm is always a factor. Still is a wild ride in 3A!

4A- Mahtomedi is the HUGE favorite here. After that I think Tartan down from AA will be very good and Watch out for St Paul Johnson they will be dealing with the Dream State Curse, but they should be a very tough team to play.

5A- North Branch and Monticello will battle it out here. After that, I don't see much Cambridge and St Francis are down to Class A, but they both are not a contender. Princeton will have scoring, and Pine City will be tough to play against Never count out Chisago Lakes but its really a Two Team Race in 5A.

6A- St Cloud Cathedral looks very good if they have a goalie. They will face great teams in Alexandria and Little Falls. Both will play low scoring great hockey. This Section is never dull and is always ultra-tough to come out of. Never count Sartell either though they look to be rebuilding after losing 14 seniors.

7A- The DEEPEST Section. Hermantown should run away with it... But Greenway is a torn in their side come playoffs. Also, Duluth Denfeld is on the rise and could be a Top 10 Team. Eveleth will be very good as well those four teams are as good they come for depth-wise in any Class A Section.

8A- The BEST Class A Section. EGF, Warroad, and TRF could all be top 5 teams by the year's end, but only one gets to go to St Paul in March... Going to be some epic low scoring hockey up North. These three teams all have great coaching tons of depth good goaltending and will be in a battle all year long.

Teak

Post by Teak » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:45 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:43 am
WELL, THE SEASON IS UPON US! PRACTICE BEGINS TOMORROW!

What an awesome year to be a Class A Hockey Fan! I think many would agree that this year is unique in that Class A looks to be more entertaining than Class AA. With so many D1 Hockey commits in Class A Looks to be as talented and deep as ever.

Here is my early Look at Class A
Nice write up. Thanks. =D>

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Nice work Class A Guy.
Play Like a Champion Today

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks for getting the party started, Elliott. Sorry for my late arrival, as I was hosting some visitors this week. I have a write up of my own in the works, but will just list out the ranks for now. I may end up shuffling around a few of these once I have some more info.

1. St. Cloud Cathedral (27-4-0, State Champions)
2. Hermantown (22-4-2, 7A finalist)
3. East Grand Forks (21-10-0, State 4th place)
4. Mahtomedi (23-7-1, State 3rd place)
5. Warroad (15-10-2, 8A finalist)
6. Thief River Falls (15-9-3, 8A semifinalist)
7. North Branch (20-9-2, State 6th place)
8. Greenway (17-14-0, State 2nd place)
9. Alexandria (20-6-0, 6A finalist)
10. Orono (18-10-0, 2A finalist)
11. Duluth Denfeld (14-9-3, 7A semifinalist)
12. Mankato East (16-10-1, 1A semifinalist)
13. Little Falls (13-11-0, 6A quarterfinalist)
14. Delano (19-10-2, State 5th place)
15. Tartan (13-12-1, 4AA quarterfinalist)
16. Monticello (17-9-1, 5A semifinalist)
17. Eveleth-Gilbert (12-12-1, 7A quarterfinalist)
18. Sartell (18-8-0, 6A semifinalist)
19. St. Paul Academy (15-13-1, 4A semifinalist)
20. Breck (13-14-1, 2A semifinalist)

Next five up: Dodge County, Marshall, New Ulm, Pine City, Robbinsdale,
Last edited by Stang5280 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Greenway was State Runner-Up; not 4th
Play Like a Champion Today

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 pm

blueblood wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:39 pm
Greenway was State Runner-Up; not 4th
Not sure how I missed that one, but fixed it above now.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:50 pm

ClassAGuy/Stang/Others

Is this a complete list of returning A class college commits? Corrections? Thoughts on who else before end of season? Data on how these totals compare to previous modern era single season commit totals out of Class A?

A Class Players with D1 Scholarship

Grant Slukynsky Warroad NMU
Blake Biondi Htown UMD
Jack Smith SCC UMD
Nate Warner SCC U of M
Reid Bogenholm SCC AF
Christian Miller Grnway SCSU
Ben Troumbly Grnway SCSU
Trey Ausmus EGF Nodak
Jakson Panzer EGF Nodak
Reid Kluender SSP Wisc

Likely Soon

Joey Pierce Htown
Landon Parker EGF

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:46 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:50 pm
ClassAGuy/Stang/Others

Is this a complete list of returning A class college commits? Corrections? Thoughts on who else before end of season? Data on how these totals compare to previous modern era single season commit totals out of Class A?

A Class Players with D1 Scholarship

Grant Slukynsky Warroad NMU
Blake Biondi Htown UMD
Jack Smith SCC UMD
Nate Warner SCC U of M
Reid Bogenholm SCC AF
Christian Miller Grnway SCSU
Ben Troumbly Grnway SCSU
Trey Ausmus EGF Nodak
Jakson Panzer EGF Nodak
Reid Kluender SSP Wisc

Likely Soon

Joey Pierce Htown
Landon Parker EGF
Add Chase Beacom (Kennedy) to SCSU, and I think your list is complete.

I would add Blake Perbix of SCC as one who will also likely commit soon.

Assuming Bushy is leaving TRF, the Prowlers drop to around 11 or 12 in my rankings.

I will have to do some digging to see how this current group compares with past seasons. My instinct is that this year is on the low side, but I certainly could be wrong.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am

Youth Hockey Hub
Top 10 preseason

1 St Cloud Cathedral
2 Hermantown
3 East Grand Forks
4 Mahtomedi
5 Warroad
6 Greenway
7 North Branch