Andover vs Edina

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Andover vs Edina

Post by j4241 »

There are some pretty good games this Thursday to kick off the season, but none better than this. Arguably 1 vs 2 for early bragging rights, ranking and potentially state tourney seeding implications. Two terrific teams - I count 16 D1 commits between them. Both extremely skilled at the top end, and both very deep, with second and even third lines that would compete against just about anybody. A new goalie for Edina (perhaps a swan song season for her before she also follows the high end goalie path to the boys game?), a new out-of-towner for Edina from Arizona via East Coast Selects, two U18 teammates playing against eachother, and another that was slated for the team before having it pulled away at the last minute (wonder if she'll be motivated for the game?). If you love girls hockey - you should be at this one! Conveniently located at Braemar - 7pm this Thursday.

Predictions?

I predict a close, low scoring game - 2-1 Andover.
jg2112

Re: Andover vs Edina

Post by jg2112 »

I also enjoy the subplot of the Andover youth player who won multiple state titles, moved over to Edina and won yet another youth state title, and is now on the Edina varsity (and won a State title last year).

I like this one to end in a 4-4 draw.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

No shot that there is 8 goals in the game unless 6 of them are from the Hornet jg.

The finely oiled machine that is the mighty hornet power play + the next great boys - girl tender* ** *** is the difference in this game.

With this being the new dawn of sports betting and it is EVERYWHERE but here in MN I am going to set a hypothetical line for this game and also an over under.

Hornet (-1.5) (-135)
Huskie (+1.5) (+125)

OVER/UNDER 4

*This is for FUN and not for anything other than to encourage people to take a side for an outcome and state their WHY after they place their hypothetical MNGHSH forum fake $.

* imo there is a VERY low chance that she would leave the girls side IF they win ANOTHER title...she would be 3/3 on her way to potentially a mind BLOWING :shock: 6/6 girls championships in net... :shock: :shock: :shock:

** imo there is virtually ZERO shot in my mind that Giles would ever have a girl on her team let alone the GOALIE...(p.s. I have never met him)

*** could Edina (as progressive as they are in many ways) as THE most storied and proud hockey community of ALL hockey communities in the State of Hockey allow a girl to be their boys varsity tender?!?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I'll take the Hornets, 4-2 score.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Before you guys anoint this as the game of the decade let's not forget that there are a few other teams that might have a say in this year before the season end specifically Brainerd and Forest Lake. They tied 2-2 over the weekend. I'll take Andover 5-4 as it is the first game of the year and ther has not been a whole lot of practice yet.
Well Driller

Post by Well Driller »

Andover 5-2
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

zambonidriver wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 am Before you guys anoint this as the game of the decade let's not forget that there are a few other teams that might have a say in this year before the season end specifically Brainerd and Forest Lake. They tied 2-2 over the weekend. I'll take Andover 5-4 as it is the first game of the year and ther has not been a whole lot of practice yet.
Ack. There's been plenty of practice. Most HS teams have been "captains practicing" since September (some since the day after Labor Day), and a good chunk of the Andover girls have played together during winter and AAA for years.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Plus, Andover is more talented at every single position, except #1D and G. Those are key positions, but I don’t think that’s enough.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

zambonidriver wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 am Before you guys anoint this as the game of the decade let's not forget that there are a few other teams that might have a say in this year before the season end specifically Brainerd and Forest Lake. They tied 2-2 over the weekend. I'll take Andover 5-4 as it is the first game of the year and ther has not been a whole lot of practice yet.
FLAKE was capable of beating Andover in years past but I think there will be a pretty clear separation between the 2 this year. A hot goaltender and a fluky goal can be the difference in a one game but Andover wins at least 4/5 times that they would play each other. FLAKE has 3 tough games on their schedule at this time (including Brainerd)...time will tell if anyone else on their schedule emerges as a top 10 team. I think that they beat Brainerd on November 23 but there is doubt in my mind that Brainerd ends up in the top 10 by the end of the regular season. If that is the case FLAKE should be 23-2 at the end of the regular season. The schedule is NOT the girls fault at all...they play the games and others are responsible for the schedule.

Brainerd had the hottest goalie in the State of Hockey in at the Xcel for the state tourney. Shutout vs WBL then saved 38/40 shots vs Andover and took Edina to OT #2 by making 50+ saves. Brainerd graduated a couple of significant pieces up front too. According to the Hub Goalie #2 has faced 9 shots in high school games so far. King was the Queen of the net. TBD on Brainerd!
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Brainerd plays “unranked” Blake on November 16... should be a good indicator if they are a contender this year.
kniven

Post by kniven »

jg2112 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:40 am
Ack. There's been plenty of practice. Most HS teams have been "captains practicing" since September (some since the day after Labor Day), and a good chunk of the Andover girls have played together during winter and AAA for years.
Yea. Excellent info. I like Andover in this one too. PS. It sure looks like Andover, girls and boys puck, has moved into a tier 1 hockey going forward for years to come. Supplementing Elk River as the to program in that region.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Lake South Alum

Post by Lake South Alum »

Because Edina's at home I will go with Edina 3 Andover 2.

I guess if we were betting, I would take Andover and the points and the "over".
Thoen88

Post by Thoen88 »

5-3 green with an eng to seal it.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Lake South Alum wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:52 pm Because Edina's at home I will go with Edina 3 Andover 2.

I guess if we were betting, I would take Andover and the points and the "over".
Congrats on the first MSHSL parlay Lake South Alum!
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Edina wins by at least 2 goals. Reasons: 1) Andover's goalie played 4 games last season and hasn't started a game since Dec 11. Edina's was winning a state title for the second consecutive season 2) Motivation - Andover won by a goal at home last year 3) home ice 4) Quality of depth. Hornets will come at Huskies in waves
Unpaidscout

Post by Unpaidscout »

Andover up 1- 0 after the first.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Unpaidscout wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:33 pm Andover up 1- 0 after the first.
And that's the way it ends, 1-0 Andover. Goal by Gabby Krause, assisted by Peyton Hemp.
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

bodyup88 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:56 am Edina wins by at least 2 goals. Reasons: 1) Andover's goalie played 4 games last season and hasn't started a game since Dec 11. Edina's was winning a state title for the second consecutive season 2) Motivation - Andover won by a goal at home last year 3) home ice 4) Quality of depth. Hornets will come at Huskies in waves
lolll

Go Huskies. Edina the undeserving champs from last year. Andover now 2-0 against Edina.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Pelkey played pretty damn well, too. If she’s that good all year, it is DEFINITELY Andover’s title to lose.