Friday Grand Rapids vs Eden Prairie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

GR
22%
EP
78%

Total votes: 18

elliott70

Friday Grand Rapids vs Eden Prairie

Post by elliott70 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Who wins?

hadenuf

Re: Saturday Grand Rapids vs Eden Prairie

Post by hadenuf » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Nobody, they play Friday at 6:00 the same as every year. Hopefully Rapids keeps it close.

ryguyMN

Re: Friday Grand Rapids vs Eden Prairie

Post by ryguyMN » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:46 pm

After GR’s struggles against Edina, they will need to step it up even more against EP. Does have a little bit of a trap game feel to it if EP is too focused on the Thursday GR/Edina result. Still can’t take GR lightly. I always like a good north/south matchup and hoping to make it over to Braemar tonight. Can’t see EP losing if they play their style.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Hope the boys from the north show up to play tonight or it will be a long one.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Rapids will need to continue with a strong effort and get a dirty goal or two. Edina was really good last night and EP will be more of the same. Take it shift by shift and keep improving. GR is young but they do have plenty of upside.

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Very impressed so far with GR they definitely had the chances to be leading this game very fun game . Big difference in the way they are playing today moving there feet and wining battles

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Good showing for Grand Rapids. It wasn't until late that the score got away from them. Tomorrow's matchup is interesting as they could also face in 7AA playoffs.
Be kind. Rewind.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:32 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:10 pm
Good showing for Grand Rapids. It wasn't until late that the score got away from them. Tomorrow's matchup is interesting as they could also face in 7AA playoffs.
Agree O Town. Similar game to last night. Difference being Edina got a few ahead a little sooner.

After tonight I still think Rapids is pretty good and Edina is better than people think and Eden Prairie hasn't done anything to hurt their ranking.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Rapids kept EP in check until the third, then the floodgates opened with three EP goals in a 4 or 5 minute span. Things got a little chippy late. Britton for EP and DelGreco for GR were sent off for roughing and the the two players were chirping at each other in the box. Pat Milan finally had enough and yelled at both players to “shut the f—k up”. It was loud enough for everyone seated behind the penalty box to hear. Fortunately, the mic was off!
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 pm

I disagree 1000% , yesterday GR got ran out of the rink by Edina no real effort no scoring chances. Today not the case Rapids played hard controlled play at times won puck battles and had a lot of opportunities, shorthanded , power play and 5 on 5 just couldn’t find the back of the net this game was closer then 4-0. a bad non call when EP’s number 6 or 8 sticked 5 young in the face and knocked him out of play instead of Grand Rapids going on the power play down 1-0 EP scores on it. Tempers flare and EP took advantage. The non call changed the flow of the game.

norcon

Post by norcon » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Much better effort by the T-Hawks tonight. A little puck luck and they may have pulled off the upset. Watching last nights and tonight’s game on the stream, it looked to me like Edina is quicker than EP. Maybe a different impression from those who were there 🤔. The two guys commentating the games are not good. They knew the names of every player on the west metro teams, struggled mightily with the Rapids kids and couldn’t even pronounce coach Chiodo’s name correctly. They do a nice job writing for Mn Hockey Hub...should stick to that.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:30 pm

norcon wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:51 pm
Much better effort by the T-Hawks tonight. A little puck luck and they may have pulled off the upset. Watching last nights and tonight’s game on the stream, it looked to me like Edina is quicker than EP. Maybe a different impression from those who were there 🤔. The two guys commentating the games are not good. They knew the names of every player on the west metro teams, struggled mightily with the Rapids kids and couldn’t even pronounce coach Chiodo’s name correctly. They do a nice job writing for Mn Hockey Hub...should stick to that.
I agree about Edina looking quicker. I think Rapids played a similar game tonight. They were able to get more scoring chances, both on shorthanded situations and even strength. The Hornets seemed to better at snuffing out the GR offense in the neutral zone. To me, that was the only difference between Thursday and Friday.

I believe the effort was good both nights.

raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 pm

ryguyMN wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:42 pm
Rapids kept EP in check until the third, then the floodgates opened with three EP goals in a 4 or 5 minute span. Things got a little chippy late. Britton for EP and DelGreco for GR were sent off for roughing and the the two players were chirping at each other in the box. Pat Milan finally had enough and yelled at both players to “shut the f—k up”. It was loud enough for everyone seated behind the penalty box to hear. Fortunately, the mic was off!
Didn't see the game last night, went tonight & Grand Rapids, in a losing effort, is much improved from last years team. I thought they played EP even
& I felt with a little puck luck would have tied it up at 2-2. But then the wheels seemed to fall off in the 3rd period & as someone else said, got chippy.
But Chiode had them ready to go from the start. I'm already worried about their match-up with Greenway in Jan.

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 am

I thought there was more energy and hustle tonight from Rapids. This was more like the team that beat BSM. I think Eden Prairie will not want to play GR again late in the season.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:41 am

Immigrant Fan wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 am
I think Eden Prairie will not want to play GR again late in the season.
Really?....GR intimidates EP by losing?.....

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:31 am

Edinahopkins wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 pm
I disagree 1000% , yesterday GR got ran out of the rink by Edina no real effort no scoring chances. Today not the case Rapids played hard controlled play at times won puck battles and had a lot of opportunities, shorthanded , power play and 5 on 5 just couldn’t find the back of the net this game was closer then 4-0. a bad non call when EP’s number 6 or 8 sticked 5 young in the face and knocked him out of play instead of Grand Rapids going on the power play down 1-0 EP scores on it. Tempers flare and EP took advantage. The non call changed the flow of the game.
Thanks @Edinahopkins that was the game I watched as well. Edina physical play shut em down. I think O-town is correct, trending towards not very good team right now, stacking the losses. The road is smacking em hard. Need to a win against the Elks to end the long losing string. Coach Chiodo has his work cut out finding some scoring.
That EP is loaded they will be very tough to knock out this season. Hopefully Edina gives em a real tough game Saturday.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:17 am

norcon wrote:
The two guys commentating the games are not good. They knew the names of every player on the west metro teams, struggled mightily with the Rapids kids and couldn’t even pronounce coach Chiodo’s name correctly.
Interesting. Does Grand Rapids provide line charts with pronunciation for the media? Standard practice for NCAA Div I and the US National Teams, but not many high schools do. Moorhead, but who else?
Be kind. Rewind.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:10 am

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:17 am
norcon wrote:
The two guys commentating the games are not good. They knew the names of every player on the west metro teams, struggled mightily with the Rapids kids and couldn’t even pronounce coach Chiodo’s name correctly.
Interesting. Does Grand Rapids provide line charts with pronunciation for the media? Standard practice for NCAA Div I and the US National Teams, but not many high schools do. Moorhead, but who else?
I like the broadcast team even though I don't understand some of the one liners but other folks viewing know what they are referring to on their color I am sure. Anybody streaming broadcasts is doing an admirable job. So thanks for providing the games to a state wide audience it is much appreciated.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:27 am

Very nice to have a moment of silence for Scot K before last nights game. Classy gesture by the Edina folks.

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:27 am

nu2hockey wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:41 am
Immigrant Fan wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 am
I think Eden Prairie will not want to play GR again late in the season.
Really?....GR intimidates EP by losing?.....
GR held their own well against EP until the cross check to the face clearly threw Rapids off their game. Up until that point they had plenty of scoring chances where they were just not able to convert. Hopefully, as the team matures over the course of the season, GR will learn to stay in their game.

"Intimidate"? That is a strong word. But, I think Rapids would come into a rematch believing they had a reasonable path to a win. Eden Prairie is the number one team in the state for a reason, but they did not come across as invincible.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm picking the Indians in an upset.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 pm

LOL. I just saw this. Good one Spar.

norcon

Post by norcon » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:54 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:10 am
O-townClown wrote:
norcon wrote:
I like the broadcast team even though I don't understand some of the one liners but other folks viewing know what they are referring to on their color I am sure. Anybody streaming broadcasts is doing an admirable job. So thanks for providing the games to a state wide audience it is much appreciated.
I admit I was probably a little tough on the two commentators. I was pretty sour about the outcome and some of those iffy calls in the 3rd period. You’re right in that they deserve some credit for these broadcasts. It sure is nice to be able to watch these games. My bad!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:42 pm

norcon wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:54 pm
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:10 am
O-townClown wrote:

I admit I was probably a little tough on the two commentators. I was pretty sour about the outcome and some of those iffy calls in the 3rd period. You’re right in that they deserve some credit for these broadcasts. It sure is nice to be able to watch these games. My bad!
8 periods of no goals can do that to a guy. #-o

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm

EP gives up 1 goal on the weekend. Pretty impressive.