2020 Ms. Hockey discussion

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mnnstar

Re: 2020 Ms. Hockey discussion

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 am

A player is a player it shouldn't matter where they play.
This is all subjective they are all very talented in their own way and we should celebrate all of them and enjoy watching them play.
Schedules aside all of the players mentioned are very talented players and all have strengths and weaknesses. Just being in the conversation is quite an honor. instead of looking at schedule and who they play or what team they are on. maybe the picture should change.
1. How do they impact their teams and teammates?
2.Do they make the players around them better?
3. Are they noticeable when they are on the ice?
4. What is their compete level?
5. Hockey IQ
All of these are observable from the stands and can be demonstrated no matter who the opponent is. The problem with this award as with all of them is it comes down to a nomination process at the beginning the year. So it do not allow for late bloomers.

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 pm

Lily Delianedis puts up 70 points this year against a top 5 Strength of Schedule. She wins Ms. Hockey
j4241 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:23 am
All just my opinions - and please add names I’ve omitted!

Candidates?

Gopher recruits seem to have a leg up for this award (rightly or wrongly), which this year are:

Nicholson (Tonka)
Burton (Blake)
Wethington (Blake)
Jungels (Edina)

Other exceptional seniors:
Delianedis from Blake (Cornell)
Mobley from Breck (Quinnipiac)
Langseth from EP (Mankato)
Bourgerie from NWC - (St. Cloud)
Skelton from NWC (corrrect?) - (Vermont)
Corneliusen from Warroad (Merrimack)
Davis from Edina (UMD)

This is 11 - no doubt more will be candidates for the final 10 - but I would give long odds the winner comes from this list.

My prediction:
Delianedis - best forward on what will be a top 3 team (at least). Was 5th in the state in scoring last year, with Bourgerie the only other players on the list playing AA (and NWC had a much weaker schedule). Delianedis combines elite skill, elite mental and physical quickness, a great vision, a non-stop motor and off-the-charts compete level. Lights up the elite league like a Christmas tree. Biggest challenge will be how strong the surrounding team is, and the odds against them going Blake back-to-back. Burton and Wethington are also both elite seniors, and will no doubt make strong claims of their own for the award. Wethington also benefits from the USA hockey endorsement, playing for the U18 team for the second year.

Couple observations:
Regarding the U18 endorsement - this would seem to favor Nicholson, playing this year for the third time. I think Nicholson is a fantastic D, but she’s no Maddie Wethington, and it’s tough for a D to win an MVP award unless they’re putting up video game points, and I don’t think that’s her game. She also has another D on her team who will look every bit as good as her, which will make it tougher to fight the uphill battle of a D winning.

Mobley will be the best player by a lot on what will nevertheless be a very good Breck team - she would be my runner-up. Although not playing elite league? Not sure why.

The two Edina seniors above are both very good, but I don’t think either is the best player in Minnesota, even if their team ends up being the best.

It’s weird not having a player from the team that might be a pre-season favorite to win state (Andover), but next year they’ll have several candidates.

Langseth will carry the EP team, so will benefit from the spotlight, along with likely very good performance.

Similarly with Corneliusen - she will put up video game points, albeit against a weak schedule.

NWC might just shock the world - and they have two great players.

Obviously a long season, surprises happen, some kids keep getting better, some stop working hard - but thought I’d kick off a discussion.

Well Driller

Post by Well Driller » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:21 am

Lily. Very good player. Not the best senior. Not even the top senior player on her team. My order/vote would be for Mobley, Jungels, Langseth.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:51 am

You’d make a case for all 3 being ahead of Delianedis? Mobley and Langseth are terrific, and have less support on their teams. I can see an argument. It’s wrong, but I can see it. But the third - a junior campaign of 7G and 18A? She’s a very good player, but not in the same conversation as the others.

Burton has a strong argument in favor of her winning - the second strongest, in my opinion.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 am

Might want to add Jamie Nelson into the conversation.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:20 pm

j4241 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:51 am
You’d make a case for all 3 being ahead of Delianedis? Mobley and Langseth are terrific, and have less support on their teams. I can see an argument. It’s wrong, but I can see it. But the third - a junior campaign of 7G and 18A? She’s a very good player, but not in the same conversation as the others.

Burton has a strong argument in favor of her winning - the second strongest, in my opinion.

Don't forget the final criteria to be selected....gopher recruits only...Burton is best forward, Nicholson best defense...

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:23 am

nu2hockey wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:20 pm
Don't forget the final criteria to be selected....gopher recruits only...Burton is best forward, Nicholson best defense...
Not sure about this year, but traditionally that's true (I would also argue, that's the way it should be!) While they've missed on a few, I don't think it's a coincidence that they've been right much more often than they've been wrong. Which again, that's the way it should be.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Not much of an argument from me on 6 of the last 8 Ms. Hockey's.

No argument on Zumwinkle, Baldwin, Cameranesi, Brandt, Heise, or Wethington. Cant argue with their HS resume's, their Sr year statistics and impact, USA Hockey contributions, and college careers (thus far).

I think that one could construct a pretty good case for most likely the 2nd place vote getter on the other 2 that ended up at Minnesota and Wisconsin. Taylor Williamson vs Grace Bizal in 2015 was debatable at the time and maybe looking back post college. Also looking at Presley Norby vs Carly Bullock. In both cases the most likely 2nd place kid chose to go somewhere other than MN (or WCHA). Their are pros, cons, and costs of playing at those schools and also their respective conferences but even at the time there was a little more debate on who should be the winner. Very little debate on the prior mentioned 6 winners.

There is absolutely some bias in the process and it is somewhat understandable. I hope that it is pretty clear cut who wins it this year.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:16 am

Any changes from the beginning of the season? I would say Nicholson still is probably the favorite given her contributions to the gold medal. But Mobley and Langseth's stock has risen.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Nicholson is surely near the top with Mobley, Corneliusen and the older Jungels.

Looking at things another way, the HS team most negatively affected by the U18 tourney was probably Blake (Edina and Tonka weren't affected at all). So I'd say Wethington's stock was boosted the past two weeks as well.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

I'd like to see the powers that be set college choices aside and decide the award based on their senior high school season. Olivia Mobley is second in the state in goals and just led Breck to a 5-4 win over previously unbeaten Andover. Mobley had 2 goals and an assist in that game vs a team that had a team GAA of 0.94 going into that game. No team had scored over 3 goals against them all season.
I realize Nicholson had a phenomenal U18 WWC but I'm not sure the 4g and 9a in MN high school games warrant leader in the clubhouse status. I understand she missed 6 games but in those 6 missed games (along with Guilday) the Skippers were still able to record 2 shutouts and 2 wins allowing only 1 goal. Flip flop the college choices of those two players and ask yourself who would be the front runner.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Mobley with 2g and an assist in a win over Blake last night. Has now beaten Andover and Blake the last two weeks. Front runner for sure if this award is even close to legit.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Mobley with 2g and an assist in a win over Blake last night. Has now beaten Andover and Blake the last two weeks. Front runner for sure if this award is even close to legit.
I agree. I have seen her a couple of times and nearly every other of the Ms. Hockey candidates. She is the most powerful force on the ice I have seen this season.

She will not win over the USA hockey / Gopher (or at least WCHA in the case of Langseth) candidates.

It is unfortunate (and makes me a little upset) that USA/MN Hockey and hometown love will trump over in season performance/dominance. She will be final 5 and very possibly will be the most dominant HS class of 2020 player in the next 4 years of college. She has all the tools to be dominant in college already. A very heavy shot (snap and wrist), the ability to deliver and receive heavy contact with the puck, great on her edges when driving the net, and the head to find the soft, dangerous spots with or without the puck.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:04 pm

massalsa wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm
She will be final 5 and very possibly will be the most dominant HS class of 2020 player in the next 4 years of college. She has all the tools to be dominant in college already. A very heavy shot (snap and wrist), the ability to deliver and receive heavy contact with the puck, great on her edges when driving the net, and the head to find the soft, dangerous spots with or without the puck.
Dominant class of 2020 MN HS kid. Not saying she will be more dominant than non MN kids.

Well Driller

Post by Well Driller » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am

I was at the Minnetonka game Tuesday. Very competitive game. Fun to watch.

From what I heard about the Blake vs. Breck game, Mobley easily stood out as the best player on the ice and her linemate Qualley was the 2nd best player.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:20 pm

I was at Breck. Mobley was the most dominant player on the ice. Best is different depending on what your definition is.

Mobley's game is power and she drives either to the net or across it to get a shot. She knows the dangerous places to be to score and she gets there. She has a really heavy shot and did not see her miss the net high (or shoot to the glove).

How any team does not gameplan for her and is unaware of when/where Mobley is on the ice is beyond me. She is not super creative (nor does she need to be) and is relatively simple in her approach. How are you going to stop her and CAN you stop her?!? Most likely not...