7AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey59

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by hockey59 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:47 am

kniven wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:15 pm
There is no logic this year in 7AA. I do see Elk River knocking Andover out of the playoffs this year. Everything else.....no clue. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Kniven, you are totally insane to think ER has a prayer against Andover. ER isn’t even any good this year. The only thing that can possibly prevent Andover (aka - the Black Cloud Tornadoes) from advancing threw 7AA to Xcel is themselves. The difference in talent between them & DE, GR & Cloquet is by as wide of a margin...as any we’ve seen in 7AA in more than a decade ☝️

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 am

hockey59 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:47 am
kniven wrote:
There is no logic this year in 7AA. I do see Elk River knocking Andover out of the playoffs this year. Everything else.....no clue. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Kniven, you are totally insane to think ER has a prayer against Andover. ER isn’t even any good this year. The only thing that can possibly prevent Andover (aka - the Black Cloud Tornadoes) from advancing threw 7AA to Xcel is themselves. The difference in talent between them & DE, GR & Cloquet is by as wide of a margin...as any we’ve seen in 7AA in more than a decade ☝️
I hear you, 59. You’re probably right. But the thing is....they are big rivals. And usually with that, you throw the records out the window. I’ve seen over the years, Cloquet take Duluth East to the brink in games. Where on paper and record, it shouldn’t be close. Elk does have a couple studs and a very nice goalie. I’m just saying, if anybody is going to take them down, it would be the Elks in the qfinals or semifinals. East, Rapids, and CEC will battle it out too. East beat Minny 2-1 today. SOG were severely lopsided. Needless to say, section playoffs will be tasty this year.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:25 am

Knivsy, your not seeing it clearly on ER/Andover. The only thing that can beat Andover is maybe East having home ice advantage.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:44 am

Also hurting any Andover/Elk River narrative is the fact that Andover is pretty much locked in as the top seed and Elk River is likely to be the 6. They'd have no chance of meeting until the section final, which would require 2 ER upsets just to get there.

Question for the room: is this the weakest 7AA in recent memory? Andover is a great team, but beyond that, East and Elk are at their lowest points in a long time, Cloquet is decent but nothing special, Flake is Flake, Marshall and Anoka are not good, and some of the initial Rapids excitement has petered out a little. It's still interesting, especially as we see how the 3 northern teams will shake out over the next few weeks; I wouldn't put it past one of them to catch fire yet. But it's a far cry from the huge Andover/Grand Rapids/Elk River battles with East over the past few seasons.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:55 am

karl(east) wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:44 am
Also hurting any Andover/Elk River narrative is the fact that Andover is pretty much locked in as the top seed and Elk River is likely to be the 6. They'd have no chance of meeting until the section final, which would require 2 ER upsets just to get there.

Question for the room: is this the weakest 7AA in recent memory? Andover is a great team, but beyond that, East and Elk are at their lowest points in a long time, Cloquet is decent but nothing special, Flake is Flake, Marshall and Anoka are not good, and some of the initial Rapids excitement has petered out a little. It's still interesting, especially as we see how the 3 northern teams will shake out over the next few weeks; I wouldn't put it past one of them to catch fire yet. But it's a far cry from the huge Andover/Grand Rapids/Elk River battles with East over the past few seasons.
From a PageStat perspective, this is the weakest 7AA has been since PageStat has been in existence (1997-98), and it took a non-traditional 7AA team (Andover) to keep it from being an absolute dumpster fire. They're fifth in average rating, besting only 4AA, 1AA and 5AA.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:02 am

This is by fare the biggest drop off in talent from the 1 seed I can ever remember in 7AA but with that being said if the huskies lose this year idk if they can ever break through the section. But all it takes is one bad game in section playoffs and you’re watching from the stands or you’re tv in March. BTW Grand Rapids and Duluth East both beat Minnetonka who beat Andover so you never know.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:15 am

east hockey wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:55 am
karl(east) wrote:

From a PageStat perspective, this is the weakest 7AA has been since PageStat has been in existence (1997-98), and it took a non-traditional 7AA team (Andover) to keep it from being an absolute dumpster fire. They're fifth in average rating, besting only 4AA, 1AA and 5AA.

Lee
Good analysis Lee. Exception of Andover, the the section is in fact a dumpster fire. CEC, East, Rapids are middling teams and that is a fact so far in the season. A section that used to be 5-6 teams deep when to to 3-4 teams deep and may be 1 or 2 for a long time coming. East and Rapids youth programs are not doing so hot tough trend.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:18 am

Has East started practicing at Amsoil yet :?: :D

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:34 am

I think Rapids has the coaching and talent, they just lack experience and now it appears, confidence. Maybe they can play up to their potential make some noise again. Season is only 1/2 over.
Coach ' The Alchemist' Randolph will bust out the smelling salts and the Hounds will be foaming at the mouth if he can get them to the finals ...at their home ice of Amsoil Arena..... 8)

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:41 am

alcloseshaver wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:18 am
Has East started practicing at Amsoil yet :?: :D
They took up an Alumni collection and bought it. Had some money left over so they went out and bought 10,000 boxes of Kleenex to pass out to North Metro teams after their annual Amsoil Catastrophe. Works out to about 200 boxes per fan, so maybe that was overkill. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :P :P

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:23 pm

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:34 am
I think Rapids has the coaching and talent, they just lack experience and now it appears, confidence. Maybe they can play up to their potential make some noise again. Season is only 1/2 over.
Coach ' The Alchemist' Randolph will bust out the smelling salts and the Hounds will be foaming at the mouth if he can get them to the finals ...at their home ice of Amsoil Arena..... 8)
Unless they play the Section Final with their hands firmly clasped around their necks...the Huskies (aka Black Cloud Tornados) are going to State & there’s nothing the North teams will be able to do about it in 2020☝️It’s that simple.They are that much better top end talent & depth wise. GR is a year too young, Cloquet already missed their chance (past 2 years) ER has two top forwards but little depth & a shaky goaltender & DE is a bunch of 2 year JV veterans, with so little to differentiate them, that they named 5 as C letter Captains 🤣 Not saying Andover is unbeatable, but the only way they don’t win 7AA would be inability of the players & coaches to handle the “big” moment ☝️

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:10 pm

east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Lee
There's my answer. Figured it might be the case; 2012 is the only other season in my memory where the #1 was clearly miles ahead of the #2. Somewhat surprised to see it still ahead of three other 7AA sections, though there is a pretty harsh drop-off in 4AA and 5AA after the top couple teams. East vs. Rapids this Thursday will tell us a lot.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:14 pm

59, You will likely end up being right.......and I tend to agree..........but talking in absolutes is naive. Rapids has a very good goalie, and East has a goalie that can win games himself at times. That alone makes absolute statements a bad idea. These are kids that will be under enormous pressure. Anything can happen......and this year with the way it’s going probably will.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:26 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:14 pm
59, You will likely end up being right.......and I tend to agree..........but talking in absolutes is naive. Rapids has a very good goalie, and East has a goalie that can win games himself at times. That alone makes absolute statements a bad idea. These are kids that will be under enormous pressure. Anything can happen......and this year with the way it’s going probably will.
Agreed. Duluth East and Grand Rapids will definitely have a shot. Not on paper or Win/loss record, but on the ice at Amsoil.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:06 pm

I happen to be very aware of the enormous pressure associated with HS age kids playing in a Section Final. My oldest son played in two, once as the underdog & once as the favorite & my youngest son played in one in essentially a pick um game where we were seeded 3rd vs the 4th seed. Youngest son advanced to State in 2016 & oldest lost both by one goal, in OT in 2007 & on a fluky goal in 2008 that (for kniven) sadly preceded his fandom to his favorite team by one year. A big part of handling the pressure is having some experience winning tournaments & big games as a youth hockey player & even better, as a HS player. In that regard, at least in 2020, Andover has that advantage (too) compared to their rivals, including the bulk of this years DE team. They have an Elite D in Kaiser, he & Wolfe arguably being the best tandem in the State. Very critically too, their Seniors have won consistently growing up. Talent combined with the amount of depth they have...as much as I (actually) hate to admit it, the Huskies are (potentially) much better than any of the 3 teams my sons played on. So again, with no disrespect directed at the other 7AA teams, it comes down to the Andover coaches & players playing their game, with poise & confidence. Can they handle the big stage? Time will tell. If they can, Andover will advance to Xcel, no question in my mind. ☝️

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:43 am

kniven wrote:
Right. Considering the way Elk River rolled through the Holiday Classic and the Tradition at the Park, I can see how you would predict them upsetting one of the top teams in the state.

:roll:

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 am

blueline_6 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:43 am
kniven wrote:
Right. Considering the way Elk River rolled through the Holiday Classic and the Tradition at the Park, I can see how you would predict them upsetting one of the top teams in the state.

:roll:
It could happen, never know other team could get a flu outbreak.....

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:15 am
east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Lee
Good analysis Lee. Exception of Andover, the the section is in fact a dumpster fire. CEC, East, Rapids are middling teams and that is a fact so far in the season. A section that used to be 5-6 teams deep when to to 3-4 teams deep and may be 1 or 2 for a long time coming. East and Rapids youth programs are not doing so hot tough trend.
I was curious to see where Section 7AA is heading in the coming years. I realize a lot can happen with kids development (and transfers). Used YHH NOW rankings because they go beyond the top 15 or so.

BAA (out of 40 ranked teams)

2. Hermantown
15. Duluth East
17. Andover
26. Elk River
37. Grand Rapids
38. Cloquet

PWAA (out of 43 ranked teams)

15. Duluth East
21. Hermantown
25. Cloquet
31. Andover
33. Elk River
38. Grand Rapids

I believe East, Hermantown, and Andover are the only ones who also go with single A teams at these levels as well. Didn't see Forest Lake or Anoka in either AA listings (only play single A?) and Duluth Marshall obviously doesn't have youth teams.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:56 am

ironranger2 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 am
east hockey wrote:

Lee
I was curious to see where Section 7AA is heading in the coming years. I realize a lot can happen with kids development (and transfers). Used YHH NOW rankings because they go beyond the top 15 or so.

2. Hermantown
15. Duluth East
17. Andover
26. Elk River
37. Grand Rapids
38. Cloquet

15. Duluth East
21. Hermantown
25. Cloquet
31. Andover
33. Elk River
38. Grand Rapids

I believe East, Hermantown, and Andover are the only ones who also go with single A teams at these levels as well. Didn't see Forest Lake or Anoka in either AA listings (only play single A?) and Duluth Marshall obviously doesn't have youth teams.
You are correct. From looking @ association pages, looks like Anoka fields Peewee and Bantam A, B1, B2 teams, and FL fields a Bantam A, B1, B2, C and Peewee A, B1 B2(x2) and C team

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:30 pm

ironranger2 wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee

2. Hermantown
15. Duluth East
17. Andover
26. Elk River
37. Grand Rapids
38. Cloquet

15. Duluth East
21. Hermantown
25. Cloquet
31. Andover
33. Elk River
38. Grand Rapids

Interesting to see this broken down. I’m not sure why you include Hermantown in a future of 7AA post but great info on the rest. Also, East’s #15 ranking could be a little misleading as I believe they have 9 Freshmen playing High School this year. I assume they would be higher with those players.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:30 pm
ironranger2 wrote:

2. Hermantown
15. Duluth East
17. Andover
26. Elk River
37. Grand Rapids
38. Cloquet

15. Duluth East
21. Hermantown
25. Cloquet
31. Andover
33. Elk River
38. Grand Rapids

Interesting to see this broken down. I’m not sure why you include Hermantown in a future of 7AA post but great info on the rest. Also, East’s #15 ranking could be a little misleading as I believe they have 9 Freshmen playing High School this year. I assume they would be higher with those players.
Just speculation here, but evidently IR2 figures HT’s administration might grow a pair somehow someday 😉

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:41 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:25 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:30 pm
ironranger2 wrote:

2. Hermantown
15. Duluth East
17. Andover
26. Elk River
37. Grand Rapids
38. Cloquet

15. Duluth East
21. Hermantown
25. Cloquet
31. Andover
33. Elk River
38. Grand Rapids

Just speculation here, but evidently IR2 figures HT’s administration might grow a pair somehow someday 😉
I probably should have left them off the list...or posted it in the Hermantown topic. It was not my intent to start that discussion here. I was just jotting down where the BAA and PWAA teams were ranked and I didn't even think about it.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:44 pm

We know, I don’t mean to get it going in this thread either, just couldn’t back off a hanging curveball 😉 Sorry

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:06 pm
I happen to be very aware of the enormous pressure associated with HS age kids playing in a Section Final. My oldest son played in two, once as the underdog & once as the favorite & my youngest son played in one in essentially a pick um game where we were seeded 3rd vs the 4th seed. Youngest son advanced to State in 2016 & oldest lost both by one goal, in OT in 2007 & on a fluky goal in 2008 that (for kniven) sadly preceded his fandom to his favorite team by one year. A big part of handling the pressure is having some experience winning tournaments & big games as a youth hockey player & even better, as a HS player. In that regard, at least in 2020, Andover has that advantage (too) compared to their rivals, including the bulk of this years DE team. They have an Elite D in Kaiser, he & Wolfe arguably being the best tandem in the State. Very critically too, their Seniors have won consistently growing up. Talent combined with the amount of depth they have...as much as I (actually) hate to admit it, the Huskies are (potentially) much better than any of the 3 teams my sons played on. So again, with no disrespect directed at the other 7AA teams, it comes down to the Andover coaches & players playing their game, with poise & confidence. Can they handle the big stage? Time will tell. If they can, Andover will advance to Xcel, no question in my mind. ☝️
After watching the Huskies against SCC tonight, essentially after further review, I’ve come to realize Andover may have (had) a better team last year. Losing Schoen & Dainty they lost 2 proven HS goal scorers. And when you get into sections, when the pressure is palatable..it really helps having proven goal scorers. While Kaiser & Wolfe are incredibly talented offensive defensemen, the lack of a proven goal scorer may cause them to press a bit to much when they are trailing (late) in a game. Don’t get me wrong, Kron & Thoreson are really good forwards . But to use an Anoka analogy, at forward (at least as HS players) Andover simply doesn’t have an Isaac Johnson caliber forward. And that may possibly prove costly (come late February). Additionally they lack a Section playoff experienced goalie...neither does DE, but GR does in Clafton☝️Finally...SCC has an “elite” forward in Warner & a really good finisher in Perbix. That proved to be a key difference tonight. So while Andover is (still) the clear favorite in 7AA, they’ve got to finish their chances better! And as a team...get WILL & GRIT (along with skill) Battle Tested in the next month in preparation for sections.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:11 am

👆elite analysis by five-niner.
Play Like a Champion Today