One Change to the Playoffs/State Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Joe2015

One Change to the Playoffs/State Tournament

Post by Joe2015 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 am

If you could wave a magic wand and make one change to the playoffs or the state tournament, what would it be? (doesn't have to be realistic or feasible: just wondering what you would like different)

For me, I wish all the section playoffs were on tv somewhere (or at least a high quality internet stream). A lot of these games are just as intense (if not more so) than the games at state. And they are just as important in determining a state champion. Technically, only 8 teams make the state tournament. But the tournament to determine a state champion starts with 60+ teams.

In my dream world, that Saturday when most of the section semi-finals are played would be like the opening of the NCAA basketball tournament: games on multiple channels: remote in hand flipping back and forth between all the great games.

InThePipes

Re: One Change to the Playoffs/State Tournament

Post by InThePipes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 am

Agree, I think there is some nonsense about the MSHSL charging some ridiculous sum for anyone who wants to stream the section championship games?

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 am

One-class, Sweet Sixteen style State Tournament.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:13 am

Same A, AA format, but top 2 teams from each section go to the state tournament.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:50 am

I'd like to see a 16-team tournament that puts all teams into one class, or one that takes the section winner of every AA and A section and seeds 1-16. There will be some complaints for sure, but you don't hear a lot of that for instance with respect to NCAA football playoffs below DIv I, nor for NCAA basketball or even the majority of college tournaments that seed.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 am

Joe2015 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 am
If you could wave a magic wand and make one change to the playoffs or the state tournament, what would it be? (doesn't have to be realistic or feasible: just wondering what you would like different)

For me, I wish all the section playoffs were on tv somewhere (or at least a high quality internet stream). A lot of these games are just as intense (if not more so) than the games at state. And they are just as important in determining a state champion. Technically, only 8 teams make the state tournament. But the tournament to determine a state champion starts with 60+ teams.

In my dream world, that Saturday when most of the section semi-finals are played would be like the opening of the NCAA basketball tournament: games on multiple channels: remote in hand flipping back and forth between all the great games.
Do this and FSN handles the broadcast of section semis and finals. Multiple time slots throughout the day where they have like one main game they cover but then do a whip around of other games in action and cut into tight games, like the old days when the NCAA basketball tournament was only on CBS. That would be incredible and a ratings bonanza. I could see most of the TVs in the state (and region) locked onto FSN that day. Boatload of money to be made by MHSHL.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 am

I would love to see a 32 team playoff (No Classes)

First couple rounds would be held in historic arena's throughout the state (Friday/Saturday games until you get to 8 teams)

I would make sure NO games are played on Olympic size rinks

TwinCitiesImport

Post by TwinCitiesImport » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:59 am

I just want to see the Class A champion play the Class AA champion. I know it will never happen and there is a reason we have the 2 class system. But there has been a lot of really good A teams that could go in and win the AA tournament in the past and it would be a fun game to watch.
GRHS

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:14 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 am
Agree, I think there is some nonsense about the MSHSL charging some ridiculous sum for anyone who wants to stream the section championship games?
Give credit where it's due. State of Hockey stepped up and did almost all the sections last year. 13 of 16 if I recall? Skipped 2AA & 6AA, but they knocked it out of the park for the rest.
Be kind. Rewind.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Playoffs
16 team state tournament all for one trophy.
Winners bracket - Excel
Losers bracket - Ridder
Double elimination format
Regional and State playoffs entire month of March. (Minnesota weather sucks anyway you slice it).

ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:57 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:40 pm
Playoffs
16 team state tournament all for one trophy.
Winners bracket - Excel
Losers bracket - Ridder
Double elimination format
Regional and State playoffs entire month of March. (Minnesota weather sucks anyway you slice it).
Losers bracket in mariucci, I think ridder would be too small.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:13 pm

State tournament broken up into A, AA, and AAA, which would be adjusted every year regarding teams and the bracket they go into. And teams won’t know what bracket their put into until after the regular season. FSNirth has a big selection show/reveal. The ratings for that show would be off the charts. And each bracket has 8 teams. And state tournament done in 4 days, not 3. Winners bracket and quarter finals all done at the Excel.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:44 pm

kniven wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:13 pm
State tournament broken up into A, AA, and AAA, which would be adjusted every year regarding teams and the bracket they go into. And teams won’t know what bracket their put into until after the regular season. FSNirth has a big selection show/reveal. The ratings for that show would be off the charts. And each bracket has 8 teams. And state tournament done in 4 days, not 3. Winners bracket and quarter finals all done at the Excel.
I like it 8)
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:52 pm

TwinCitiesImport wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:59 am
I just want to see the Class A champion play the Class AA champion. I know it will never happen and there is a reason we have the 2 class system. But there has been a lot of really good A teams that could go in and win the AA tournament in the past and it would be a fun game to watch.
Once upon a time, they did this with basketball. On Monday night, the Class A champion would play the Class AA champion, only lasted for five years or so. It was the last time I cared about high school basketball in Minnesota.

They should do this with hockey.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:07 pm

3 classes. Top 2 teams (A and AA) in each section advance to a Sweet 16 Tournament (Cross Bracketed). This format still has all the big schools competing against each other in AA, but adds some depth to A by mixing some of the current mid-level AA with top A programs.

The B tournament ( 8 teams) would be for the true small schools who don't have the numbers, tradition, or resources to be able to compete with the A powers. The idea here is to provide growth, development, and opportunities for these programs who really aren't in the same class as those programs that dominate A on an annual basis.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Definitely class A champ playing class AA champ. What a game that would be every year. Place would be full and atmosphere electric.

Also no section finals games played at same time. I’d like to hit them all

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm
Definitely class A champ playing class AA champ. What a game that would be every year. Place would be full and atmosphere electric.

I don’t like it. But that’s just me. I wasn’t a fan back in the 40’s and 50’s so I don’t bow down, or need the big guy vs. the little guy game. Plus, the teams that win A these days are far from the teams that were little guys little guy in the 40’ and 50’s.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:55 pm

You’re exactly right. Being the A champ is far from the little guy these days.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:

Not sure that I like this idea. It increases the prestige of the class A champion at the expense of the AA champion. A big part of the of the AA tournament is the number of quality teams that you have to beat to even get to the tournament (or farther down the road the championship game). In any given year there are a few teams in A that could compete with the AA champ. However, the road to that championship is far different. 2017 Rapids may be a bit of an extreme example but you get the point. By creating this sort of NFC/AFC Super Bowl type of game it really cheapens the AA title.

Some people will probably blast me for saying this because of the everyone is a winner culture etc but when the question is posed "could the A champ have beat the AA champ" I always think either play AA and prove that you can beat six AA teams in a row or don't pose the question. Because a lot of times to even get to the championship you have to beat 4-5 pretty quality opponents. You don't just get to jump to the championship game and see what happens. So go out there and prove that you could even make that game or be content with winning at the level you are at.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 pm

And just for good measure if you think that I am exaggerating in any way just talk to St Thomas. It is very difficult to play as many games as you need to win a AA title at your top level.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 pm

I originally disagreed with you but you actually did convince me to not like A champ playing AA champ. It’s a much much easier road for a single A team to get to the game and I could see certain teams taking advantage of that and creating a mess.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 pm

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 pm
StanleyCup55 wrote:

Not sure that I like this idea. It increases the prestige of the class A champion at the expense of the AA champion. A big part of the of the AA tournament is the number of quality teams that you have to beat to even get to the tournament (or farther down the road the championship game). In any given year there are a few teams in A that could compete with the AA champ. However, the road to that championship is far different. 2017 Rapids may be a bit of an extreme example but you get the point. By creating this sort of NFC/AFC Super Bowl type of game it really cheapens the AA title.

Some people will probably blast me for saying this because of the everyone is a winner culture etc but when the question is posed "could the A champ have beat the AA champ" I always think either play AA and prove that you can beat six AA teams in a row or don't pose the question. Because a lot of times to even get to the championship you have to beat 4-5 pretty quality opponents. You don't just get to jump to the championship game and see what happens. So go out there and prove that you could even make that game or be content with winning at the level you are at.
Not me! I hate the idea of A champ vs. AA champ.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Very well said 7. Agree with all of it.

Make the AA section finals into a prep bowl type event and televise them all. Either 4 on Friday or 4 on Saturday....back to back to back to back......or 2 Thursday, 2 Friday and 4 Saturday. In many ways the Section final is the most important game of the year. I’d watch em all.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm
Very well said 7. Agree with all of it.

Make the AA section finals into a prep bowl type event and televise them all. Either 4 on Friday or 4 on Saturday....back to back to back to back......or 2 Thursday, 2 Friday and 4 Saturday. In many ways the Section final is the most important game of the year. I’d watch em all.
Agree, that’s a tremendous idea! And one added caveat...DE (or Cloquet) doesn’t get to play at Amsoil for the section final either 😉🤣

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:32 pm

I like the A champ vs the AA champ. Good for Minnesota hockey for a lot of reasons.