7AA 2019-2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Re: 7AA 2019-2020

Post by BodyShots » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 am
It’s final. TM is 6.4
1 Andover
2GR
3 CEC
4Flake
5DE
6ER
7Anoka
8DM
And Mikey finds a way to get matched up against a struggling Flake team, with Andover waiting in the wings for Amsoil.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 am
hockey59 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:02 pm
:^o
karl(east) wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 pm
Have to like what Rapids is putting together toward the end of the season here. I certainly no longer think this is the one team race we might have thought it was a month or two ago. The defense of the Amsoil curse may be in your hands, Thunderhawks...

Elsewhere, Forest Lake has now lost five of six heading into sections. Wouldn't be stunned to see them lose to Elk River, which has shown some signs of improvement lately, in the quarters.
GR is clearly on a ROLL. Big win tonight. Shocked Biondi was held off the score sheet the final 2 games of HT regular season. 😲 The 7AA Final sure appears to be shaping up as Andover vs GR ☝️Could be a real doozy (GR having the section playoff experienced goalie) but Andover holding the advantage in all other aspects. Never having ever broken threw to Xcel, Andover simply needs to handle the pressure of being in the big spot, which is easier said than DONE!
All the pressure is on Andover NOT to lose in 7AA. 'Junk yard dogs' from Rapids got no pressure or high expectations. :lol:
True...but for the Andover seniors, it’s also their 3rd time to the party & if they make the Final, their 3rd consecutive, so they have a decided experience advantage over all the other teams in Section 7AA. But ya gotta be impressed how well a young GR team has played (since early January). Cloquet hosting ER is the most intriguing qtr final IMO. With their clear (after 24 games) lack of raw talent, if DE gets by FL & somehow pulls an upset over Andover in the semifinals, it would be an upset which would exceed CDH knocking out top ranked BSM (from 2015-2016) ☝️

defense

Post by defense » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 am

I dont think this section is a lock for Andover.
Go Rapids!
Otter Hockey Rocks

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am

Grand Rapids vs Duluth East section final incoming , The Amsoil wants it to happen / needs it to happen for attendance =D>

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 am

Edinahopkins wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am
Grand Rapids vs Duluth East section final incoming , The Amsoil wants it to happen / needs it to happen for attendance =D>
It would be huge, but there were actually a lot of Andover fans there last year for the final too. Student section was full and lots of other fans. They were louder than the East fans until late in the 3rd and Overtime. Then I would say the East fans were a little louder.

If East wins and everyone else holds serve, it’s going to be really fun Semi-Final Saturday at Amsoil.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 am
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 am
hockey59 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:02 pm
:^o

GR is clearly on a ROLL. Big win tonight. Shocked Biondi was held off the score sheet the final 2 games of HT regular season. 😲 The 7AA Final sure appears to be shaping up as Andover vs GR ☝️Could be a real doozy (GR having the section playoff experienced goalie) but Andover holding the advantage in all other aspects. Never having ever broken threw to Xcel, Andover simply needs to handle the pressure of being in the big spot, which is easier said than DONE!
All the pressure is on Andover NOT to lose in 7AA. 'Junk yard dogs' from Rapids got no pressure or high expectations. :lol:
True...but for the Andover seniors, it’s also their 3rd time to the party & if they make the Final, their 3rd consecutive, so they have a decided experience advantage over all the other teams in Section 7AA. But ya gotta be impressed how well a young GR team has played (since early January). Cloquet hosting ER is the most intriguing qtr final IMO. With their clear (after 24 games) lack of raw talent, if DE gets by FL & somehow pulls an upset over Andover in the semifinals, it would be an upset which would exceed CDH knocking out top ranked BSM (from 2015-2016) ☝️
Can all that experience translate to an expected easy 7AA title win? Only time will tell...........

Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
It’s final. TM is 6.4
1 Andover
2GR
3 CEC
4Flake
5DE
6ER
7Anoka
8DM
Can anyone tell me how is the TM decided? Do the coaches vote or is it outside of their control? Right now I would think they coaches would vote East, Cloquet, and Forest Lake in that order if they voted based on who is strongest right now (and likely Elk River higher if they were within the TM limit). It appears Cloquet would be locked in at five unless the TM was at least 6.2. I'm just wondering how 6.4 was decided, when, and by whom. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other how the 3-5 teams are seeded--I just want to understand so I can predict more accurately in the future.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:26 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 am
Edinahopkins wrote:
It would be huge, but there were actually a lot of Andover fans there last year for the final too. Student section was full and lots of other fans. They were louder than the East fans until late in the 3rd and Overtime. Then I would say the East fans were a little louder.

If East wins and everyone else holds serve, it’s going to be really fun Semi-Final Saturday at Amsoil.
Andover, Rapids, Flake and ER all win in quarters, That would be an awesome Semi-Final!!!! :lol: Not likely, but could happen....Andover and Rapids heavy favorites. Flake while on downward slide has already beaten east at home, ER capable of getting an upset against Jacks, so not out of the realm of possibility either.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:40 am

TBM-
The Tiebreaker Margin (TM) was included starting with the 2012-13 season for Sections that use the QRF for seeding. The main reason we have included TM is to allow Head to Head and other "human" tiebreakers be included when seeding using a mathematical formula, something no other formula has ever done.

After the first season of using the QRF for seeding, Coaches in general were unhappy with certain specific scenarios where head to head was completely ignored. The end result is a seeding hybrid compromise that combines math and normal "human" parameters to help make the seeding process as fair as possible.

Here is how it works.

The Section/Sub-section decides when the last date to include Statewide games will be. The following morning, the QRF calculates and puts teams in an order from top to bottom.

Also at that time, the average QRF score for every team in each Class is determined. In football, that average is multiplied by 10% to get the TM for football. All other sports are multiplied by 7%. The reason football is higher is because there are fewer games played by each team, creating the need to make the margin larger.

Starting at the top, the #1 QRF team is compared to the #2 QRF team in that Section. If the two teams are within the TM, the QRF rankings are removed and the Tiebreakers are applied. If they are not within the TM, then the QRF ranking holds and we move down the list.

If a team with a lower QRF wins the tiebreaker, it has the opportunity to continue moving up the seeds if it A) is within the TM of the next team above and B) wins the tiebreaker with that team.

The end result will ALWAYS be that the team directly above another team in the seeds is either A) QRF ahead by more than the TM or B) won the Tiebreaker. The only way there is a 3-way tie is if all 3 teams have identical QRF numbers, a highly unlikely statistical event.

These are the Tiebreakers as agreed to by the MSHSL.

*note - on 3/3/18 the below was cleaned up to match the exact verbiage approved by the MSHSL in August 2017:
The first tiebreaker is Head to Head Competition
Ranking based on either Conference/Sub-District (C/D) winning percentage OR C/D point total based on the by-laws of the C/D * teams must be in the same C/D
Overall winning percentage
Section winning percentage (if at least 25% of the teams competitions are against section opponents - if not met, #4 is skipped)
Football - 2
Lacrosse - 3
Soccer - 4
Baseball/Softball - 5
Basketball/Hockey/Volleyball - 6
QRF points
Coin Flip

Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:40 am
TBM-
The Tiebreaker Margin (TM) was included starting with the 2012-13 season for Sections that use the QRF for seeding. The main reason we have included TM is to allow Head to Head and other "human" tiebreakers be included when seeding using a mathematical formula, something no other formula has ever done.

After the first season of using the QRF for seeding, Coaches in general were unhappy with certain specific scenarios where head to head was completely ignored. The end result is a seeding hybrid compromise that combines math and normal "human" parameters to help make the seeding process as fair as possible.

Here is how it works.

The Section/Sub-section decides when the last date to include Statewide games will be. The following morning, the QRF calculates and puts teams in an order from top to bottom.

Also at that time, the average QRF score for every team in each Class is determined. In football, that average is multiplied by 10% to get the TM for football. All other sports are multiplied by 7%. The reason football is higher is because there are fewer games played by each team, creating the need to make the margin larger.

Starting at the top, the #1 QRF team is compared to the #2 QRF team in that Section. If the two teams are within the TM, the QRF rankings are removed and the Tiebreakers are applied. If they are not within the TM, then the QRF ranking holds and we move down the list.

If a team with a lower QRF wins the tiebreaker, it has the opportunity to continue moving up the seeds if it A) is within the TM of the next team above and B) wins the tiebreaker with that team.

The end result will ALWAYS be that the team directly above another team in the seeds is either A) QRF ahead by more than the TM or B) won the Tiebreaker. The only way there is a 3-way tie is if all 3 teams have identical QRF numbers, a highly unlikely statistical event.

These are the Tiebreakers as agreed to by the MSHSL.

*note - on 3/3/18 the below was cleaned up to match the exact verbiage approved by the MSHSL in August 2017:
The first tiebreaker is Head to Head Competition
Ranking based on either Conference/Sub-District (C/D) winning percentage OR C/D point total based on the by-laws of the C/D * teams must be in the same C/D
Overall winning percentage
Section winning percentage (if at least 25% of the teams competitions are against section opponents - if not met, #4 is skipped)
Football - 2
Lacrosse - 3
Soccer - 4
Baseball/Softball - 5
Basketball/Hockey/Volleyball - 6
QRF points
Coin Flip
Thanks! Why was the TM used 6.4 instead of six? Are the margins round up or down to the nearest whole number? (Cloquet was 6.2 behind East and Forest Lake. If 6.5 is rounded up to 7 but below 6.5 rounded down to 6 that would put Cloquet within the TM if the TM is 6). Just wondering. Thanks.

HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am
Usthockey13 wrote:
It’s final. TM is 6.4
1 Andover
2GR
3 CEC
4Flake
5DE
6ER
7Anoka
8DM
And Mikey finds a way to get matched up against a struggling Flake team, with Andover waiting in the wings for Amsoil.
I am against the whole semi's and finals always being at Amsoil and I really don't want East in again this year, but it would be pretty funny if this happened. Interesting that ER gets a first round match up against a Class A team

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:26 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
Edinahopkins wrote:

Andover, Rapids, Flake and ER all win in quarters, That would be an awesome Semi-Final!!!! :lol: Not likely, but could happen....Andover and Rapids heavy favorites. Flake while on downward slide has already beaten east at home, ER capable of getting an upset against Jacks, so not out of the realm of possibility either.
I will say especially with CEC "Super Fan" folding the tent on AA hockey in early 2020.
He should have played that card at post season theater.
Lost his frequency so maybe he is back on Lake Superior Starz bandwagon :lol:

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:42 pm

Elks at CEC has the makings of a revenge game for ER for the Esse shenanigans at Tobies a few years back. CEC Had them beat in Jaremko’s junior year at the now defunct Olympic arena in Elk River before a late 😏 PP.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Rich- its based off the full season of all the teams points and average. It does not round up or down. If it is 6.4 if any team is with 6.4 points or less of each other they us TM. So Flake and DE had 95 points CEC has 88.8 so there is a 6.2 diff. Flake beat DE so they slot ahead of them, CEC beat flake so they slot ahead of them and CEE/DE split 1-1 and the next Tie breaker was winning % which CEC won over DE. Thus giving us 3. CEC 4. FLake 5. DE

Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:15 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:10 pm
Rich- its based off the full season of all the teams points and average. It does not round up or down. If it is 6.4 if any team is with 6.4 points or less of each other they us TM. So Flake and DE had 95 points CEC has 88.8 so there is a 6.2 diff. Flake beat DE so they slot ahead of them, CEC beat flake so they slot ahead of them and CEE/DE split 1-1 and the next Tie breaker was winning % which CEC won over DE. Thus giving us 3. CEC 4. FLake 5. DE
Thanks! I appreciate the insight.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 pm

All good. Very confusing!

norcon

Post by norcon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm
MWS coach wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

I will say especially with CEC "Super Fan" folding the tent on AA hockey in early 2020.
CEC “super fan” lives in a make believe world. Do you guys actually think the CEC hockey community takes him seriously?
I’m sure they admire his passion, but I doubt very much that he has the influence he thinks he does. They’ll become a feeder program for Hermantown too.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:32 pm

norcon wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm
MWS coach wrote:

CEC “super fan” lives in a make believe world. Do you guys actually think the CEC hockey community takes him seriously? NO
I’m sure they admire his passion, but I doubt very much that he has the influence he thinks he does. They’ll become a feeder program for Hermantown too.
If CEC goes A level I would agree.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Will the @HockeyDJ be making the trip to semi final Saturday?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:48 am

norcon wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

CEC “super fan” lives in a make believe world. Do you guys actually think the CEC hockey community takes him seriously?
Yes, the CEC hockey community takes him very seriously. He’s donated countless hours of his time to the program and to other programs in the Twin Ports. Have you done that?

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:51 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:48 am
norcon wrote:

Yes, the CEC hockey community takes him very seriously. Very interesting! He’s donated countless hours of his time to the program and to other programs in the Twin Ports. Have you done that? [-X

CEC fans should make the most of AA semi Saturday if they get past the Elks. Knivsey included =D> =D>

norcon

Post by norcon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:52 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
norcon wrote:

Yes, the CEC hockey community takes him very seriously. He’s donated countless hours of his time to the program and to other programs in the Twin Ports. Have you done that?
Between coaching at the youth levels for 3-4 years, helping with tournaments and watching my own kids play, I guess I’ve put a few hours in. He’s still a drama queen and as one other forum member said, speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:47 am

alcloseshaver wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:42 pm
Elks at CEC has the makings of a revenge game for ER for the Esse shenanigans at Tobies a few years back. CEC Had them beat in Jaremko’s junior year at the now defunct Olympic arena in Elk River before a late 😏 PP.
Has the box square like ER Olympic size rink (it always seemed shorter than 200’) been reduced to NHL sized? I recently learned Centennial did that with their remodel but wasn’t aware ER was no longer Olympic size.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:47 am
alcloseshaver wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:42 pm
Has the box square like ER Olympic size rink (it always seemed shorter than 200’) been reduced to NHL sized? I recently learned Centennial did that with their remodel but wasn’t aware ER was no longer Olympic size.
Two new rinks in process of being built. Neither will have Olympic size ice sheet. They will be completed for next season. Once completed building which held Olympic sheet of ice will be converted into a field house. Last HS games have been played in the old Olympic, thus now defunct...

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
norcon wrote:

He has donated a lot of time (has nothing but time), but the cec hockey community does not take him seriously. Appreciate all his time and filming but no one looking to him for advise on playing AA or A .