MN BB wants to switch to seeded brackets

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

MN BB wants to switch to seeded brackets

Post by jg2112 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Maybe girls' hockey coaches could piggy back on this and get a change in their sport as well.

https://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/ne ... ow/1090131

hockey21

Re: MN BB wants to switch to seeded brackets

Post by hockey21 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:33 am

You would need the boys on board as well and it will never happen in hockey with only two classes. In truth it already happens as you play the final 16 teams in each class section final and those games are packet for the most part. It is really good how it is it is called the state tournament not the Metro Tournament

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:20 am

Here are your girls' hockey AA STATE participants for 2020: Farmington, Minnetonka, Burnsville, Hill-Murray, Maple Grove, Edina, Andover and Roseau.
Other than Roseau, I wonder what the median distance from those schools to Xcel Arena is. Doesn't seem like much of a STATE tournament as it is currently constituted. Might as well dump the outdated and arbitrary sections and seed this thing.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am

bodyup88 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:20 am
Here are your girls' hockey AA STATE participants for 2020: Farmington, Minnetonka, Burnsville, Hill-Murray, Maple Grove, Edina, Andover and Roseau.
Other than Roseau, I wonder what the median distance from those schools to Xcel Arena is. Doesn't seem like much of a STATE tournament as it is currently constituted. Might as well dump the outdated and arbitrary sections and seed this thing.
Or maybe girls hockey in outstate areas of the state needs to get better?

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am

It definitely needs to get better in Rochester. Their 3 public schools were 59, 60 and 61 in AA hockey (out of 61). Truth is there are just not that many AA girls programs in out state MN. The AA programs 2 or more hours away from the twin cities are: Alexandria, Duluth, Brainerd, Grand Rapids, Moorhead, Bemidji and Roseau.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:10 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:32 am
It definitely needs to get better in Rochester. Their 3 public schools were 59, 60 and 61 in AA hockey (out of 61). Truth is there are just not that many AA girls programs in out state MN. The AA programs 2 or more hours away from the twin cities are: Alexandria, Duluth, Brainerd, Grand Rapids, Moorhead, Bemidji and Roseau.
Alexandria? 2 hours? You haven't seen me drive!

Seriously though, what I have seen in outstate MN: There are some youth associations who, from the beginning, built up Girls Hockey and recruited hard to have bigger numbers. Warroad, Roseau and Alexandria are 3 that come to mind that have had lengthy, sustained success. Then there are associations who begrudgingly added girls hockey once the high school programs started. More metro teams picked up on it early.

So now that we are some 20-25 years in, we have the co-op problem. If you are are a girl interested in hockey, but there is ever MORE travel (practices) due to the co-ops, your parents are less likely to let you play. Lots of towns agreed to co-op as it is easier than building your own numbers us, you see quicker results (short term), and in some cases you "get the pony tails off of the boys ice". It really is sad. I think any AA team that has great numbers on the boys side should be able to field a decent girls team on your own. If you can't, you are not trying.

And on topic - seeded brackets?? No thank you!

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Sounds like I need to ride with you if you can get from Douglas County to the X in 2 hours. Very good points on the associations. I'm not sure why, for example, Moorhead has been so strong on the boys' side but not the girls. Duluth I kind of understand because I think there is some movement to the Mirage. Cathedral has been great in SC but the combined 3 school girls co-op there has been rather pedestrian. Willmar, on the other hand, had a nice girls' team and I see their boys' team really struggled this season.
Just curious as to your aversion to the seeded tournament? Is it the northern representation thing? I expect Alex to be a top 2 seed in 8AA next season.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:41 am

bodyup88 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:17 pm
Sounds like I need to ride with you if you can get from Douglas County to the X in 2 hours. Very good points on the associations. I'm not sure why, for example, Moorhead has been so strong on the boys' side but not the girls. Duluth I kind of understand because I think there is some movement to the Mirage. Cathedral has been great in SC but the combined 3 school girls co-op there has been rather pedestrian. Willmar, on the other hand, had a nice girls' team and I see their boys' team really struggled this season.
Just curious as to your aversion to the seeded tournament? Is it the northern representation thing? I expect Alex to be a top 2 seed in 8AA next season.
Moorhead. It takes a dedicated parent, or a group of parents to really challenge the association to take girls hockey seriously and to divert resources to building girls hockey up (money, ice time, etc). I think Moorhead did not have that early on, but I will say they have a group in the youth levels now that is pushing it harder. Good to see. With so many great hockey families up there (who I assume have a few daughters) it has always boggled my mind that their girls program wasn't stronger.

Seeded tournament. I love the fact that in many sections you need to battle to just get to state. In itself it is a huge accomplishment. A seeded tournament would water down that sense of achievement. I would much prefer battling some regional rivals (Brainerd, Moorhead, and even Roseau) to get to state versus entering state as a middle seed and potentially losing out to Blake (or someone similar) in the first round or so.