Hill-Murray vs St. Thomas Academy - Semi-Final Friday

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins in the Tradition Rich Metro East Clash?

Hill-Murray
81%
St. Thomas Academy
19%

Total votes: 26

Sparlimb

Re: Hill-Murray vs St. Thomas Academy - Semi-Final Friday

Post by Sparlimb »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm Is the Strobel kid on Hill related to Eric Strobel from Mayo/Miracle on ice fame?
I don't think so. His dad played for the '91 championship team for Hill.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Ok, thanks. I figured. He has hands and skates like Eric, but Eric has to be near 60.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

E-6, got to get in front of that. Cal Ripken, Ernie Banks, and Ozzie Smith turned away in terror. And they didn’t wear masks or have pads that would stop artillery shells.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

How many times are these idiot producers going to keep the precious twitter pics up too long so we miss the puck drop on a face off. I count at least 5 times it’s happened. I’m here to watch hockey. Not a dog with a hockey helmet on. Please do better.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
BlueLineSpecial

STA looking great right now. Outskating Hill in the 2nd period and in these first few minutes of the 3rd. Nice goal by STA. Okie dokie here we go!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

They can’t overturn that can they?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Whew! I am pulling for the Pioneers but that would have been a travesty!
smhockey77

Post by smhockey77 »

That's a good non overturn. I had no idea they went back that far at this level.
deacon

Post by deacon »

They can because it’s an NHL building and they have the cameras.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Looking like we're going to have to go to sudden victory to decide this one.
BlueLineSpecial

Ugh STA looks miles better right now. STA is making plays and having great chances. Can’t believe some of those didn’t go. Hill is not getting much of anything. We’ll see in OT.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

thestickler07 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 am
O-townClown wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:08 am
thestickler07 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:49 pmAitken needs to stay hot for the Cadets to pull of the upset.
Hill-Murray matches up very well against St. Thomas. If they meet Saturday, I think Hill-Murray matches up very favorably to Blake...who they beat 7-1 early in the season.
0/U 4.5 goals - if it goes over, Pioneers probably won.

Cadets desperately need the under to hit.
Over hits, Pioneers got a date with the Eagles tomorrow night.

Tough loss for the Cadets - hope they can get up for tomorrow and close the tournament out on a high note.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I'm an old school northern guy but that was great hockey. Congrats to both teams. Well played.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

For the sake of an entertaining championship game (& with all due respect to Dannys Cadets) Thank the Lord...Hill Murray won in OT. I left after the 2nd period...the game was so boring in comparison to Blake vs Eden Prairie game ☝️
Last edited by hockey59 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deacon

Post by deacon »

I can’t believe the shots that STA passed up...unreal
deacon

Post by deacon »

hockey59 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 pm For the sake of an entertaining championship game (& with all due respect to Dannys Cadets) Thank the Lord...Hill Murray won in OT. I left after the 2nd period...the game was so boring in comparison to Blake vs Eden Prairie game ☝️
You missed an awesome 3rd period
BlueLineSpecial

Not sure my heart can handle these. Hill was outplayed for long stretches. Oddly, once OT started they looked like the much better team.

Bring on EP. Thats going to be a tough game. Should be fun.

Lots of respect to STA. How that team was 5-7 to start the year I’ll never know. Kudos to their coach and those kids for improving throughout the year and playing really good hockey To end the season and in sections/state. Correct me if I’m wrong, but STA was undefeated in something like 17 games...other than the two losses to Hill. :mrgreen:
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The best two looking teams will play each other, we love our underdogs and great stories but this will be the best two teams, now, playing each other. I, normally, would hate this match up but this year am very interested in it.

Hopefully the TRME goes 2 for 2 tomorrow against the evil empires!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 pm Is the Strobel kid on Hill related to Eric Strobel from Mayo/Miracle on ice fame?
No, (I don’t think so) he’s Mike Strobels son...who along with twin brother Mark played on the 1991 State Champion HM team.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Where are Sparlimb's comments on the game? As much as I hate to admit it, these boys are really fun to watch. For the first time in my life I can say that I will be cheering for Hill-Murray tomorrow night. I'm trying not to throw up in my mouth while I say that. It's like cheering for Hitler vs. Stalin. You have to pick a side.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

The dream is over, but kudos to STA for quite a run as the underdog.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 am Where are Sparlimb's comments on the game? As much as I hate to admit it, these boys are really fun to watch. For the first time in my life I can say that I will be cheering for Hill-Murray tomorrow night. I'm trying not to throw up in my mouth while I say that. It's like cheering for Hitler vs. Stalin. You have to pick a side.
You are a Duluth East guy- Is that much better?
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

hockey59 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 pm For the sake of an entertaining championship game (& with all due respect to Dannys Cadets) Thank the Lord...Hill Murray won in OT. I left after the 2nd period...the game was so boring in comparison to Blake vs Eden Prairie game ☝️
I agree it was a bit of a dull game to start, but things really picked up in the third period. My brother and I were debating about leaving after the second, but deciding to stick around for the rest of the game paid off.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Said when OT started it would be Hallum , or Strobel or Pierre . Easy to say. Right for a change , tap in right in front of us .

When I saw Hermantown throttle the Pios late in regular season, I was doubting they would make it this far. But they sure did put together a nice run of games to get to Championship night

Loved the STA comeback , Especially after the morale busting disallowed delayed off side bouncing puck goal . Correct call , even though the rule could stand some examination for situations like this one .

Glad the later close call onside / offside goal was not reversed , wasn’t enough clear and convincing , another correct call .
Browniemagoo

Post by Browniemagoo »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 am Said when OT started it would be Hallum , or Strobel or Pierre . Easy to say. Right for a change , tap in right in front of us .

When I saw Hermantown throttle the Pios late in regular season, I was doubting they would make it this far. But they sure did put together a nice run of games to get to Championship night

Loved the STA comeback , Especially after the morale busting disallowed delayed off side bouncing puck goal . Correct call , even though the rule could stand some examination for situations like this one .

Glad the later close call onside / offside goal was not reversed , wasn’t enough clear and convincing , another correct call .
I'm guessing that if this were a game in which replay was not available they would have said no goal right away since the linesman had his arm up and actually did call offsides. Since they have the option to review, figure they might as well.

Great game!