The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by kniven »

Let’s see.....I bet the Hermantown thread hits 4000 by the season start of 20-21. Anybody else their guess??
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Bulldog4life

Post by Bulldog4life »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:19 am
Hunters1993 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 am I’m also sticking with this statement

Also had a thought. Do you think a coach who takes over a hockey program like Hermantown really has any say in anything todo with the program.

I had a conspiracy theory

Do you think everyone involved with Hermantown hockey really wants to stay in class A? They all put Andrews as coach and told him to hold the flag for staying in class A and all the parents get to look the victim and Andrews gets to take all the heat! The program thrives and enjoys their success and Andrews gets to stand at the firing line. Thoughts on that one,

Any here comes the heat! Just like I predicted!
Andrews stands in front and takes the blame for staying in class A. He gets to stand there and take the heat for the superhero teams inability to mold and form a team that can bring home the little trophy. Here come parents and players with their pitchforks. Little a Hermantown you have a great little thing going.
When Pat got the job, he said publicly that they were a AA program and it was only a matter of time. He changed his tune after that. I know Pat. He is a great guy. He struggles with that decision. He has lost sleep over it. It’s not his final decision but if he fought for it I think it would happen. But he’s not fighting for it. He’s caught up in the status quo. Beth makes the decision and she knows NOTHING about hockey.
I believe Andrews has young children. Do you think he underestimated the scrutiny and pressure of the job? Coaching in this atmosphere can affect ones home life more than he expected.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Bulldog4life wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:46 am
Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:19 am
Hunters1993 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 am I’m also sticking with this statement

Also had a thought. Do you think a coach who takes over a hockey program like Hermantown really has any say in anything todo with the program.

I had a conspiracy theory

Do you think everyone involved with Hermantown hockey really wants to stay in class A? They all put Andrews as coach and told him to hold the flag for staying in class A and all the parents get to look the victim and Andrews gets to take all the heat! The program thrives and enjoys their success and Andrews gets to stand at the firing line. Thoughts on that one,

Any here comes the heat! Just like I predicted!
Andrews stands in front and takes the blame for staying in class A. He gets to stand there and take the heat for the superhero teams inability to mold and form a team that can bring home the little trophy. Here come parents and players with their pitchforks. Little a Hermantown you have a great little thing going.
When Pat got the job, he said publicly that they were a AA program and it was only a matter of time. He changed his tune after that. I know Pat. He is a great guy. He struggles with that decision. He has lost sleep over it. It’s not his final decision but if he fought for it I think it would happen. But he’s not fighting for it. He’s caught up in the status quo. Beth makes the decision and she knows NOTHING about hockey.
I believe Andrews has young children. Do you think he underestimated the scrutiny and pressure of the job? Coaching in this atmosphere can affect ones home life more than he expected.
Yep, lots more scrutiny. Ol' Brucie Boy got the sandbag train rolling, but always had a metro private to thwart him, so it wasn't his fault that they finished second so many times. Now that several metro privates have opted up and the Hawks are full AA in every way except during HS playoffs, titles are the expectation, and if little Billy doesn't get the state championship Mommy and Daddy promised him back when they moved him from Proctor or Denfeld or wherever as a mite, then heads will roll. Second place trophies do not create nearly enough social media envy and feelings of superiority, sadly.

Will be interesting to see what happens when these bantams come through. They are top three, if not the best, in AA. If coach doesn't hang at least two more state title banners from that group, there will be mutiny in the swamp behind the mall.
Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater »

I think what these A and AA tournies has highlighted is that it is really tough to win a title. If anybody thinks you can ‘throw talent together’ and it equals a championship, they are sadly mistaken. Lots of things have to work out right, and a GOOD team of home grown talent, and life long buddies, will beat a better team more often than not in a big game as long as the talent of each team is in the same stratosphere.
Hessian

Post by Hessian »

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm

I think what these A and AA tournies has highlighted is that it is really tough to win a title. If anybody thinks you can ‘throw talent together’ and it equals a championship, they are sadly mistaken. Lots of things have to work out right, and a GOOD team of home grown talent, and life long buddies, will beat a better team more often than not in a big game as long as the talent of each team is in the same stratosphere.

WEll SAID!
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Don’t worry Class A Hockey. The next five years Herman(Ely,Proctor, Denfeld, Virginia, Hayward)town will save Class A Hockey by winning the next championship. Beating those evil metro teams. Please Hermantown save our class A Hockey.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Big message for season end.

KIDS STAY IN SCHOOL! Everyone has heard that phrase.....

How about this adaptation

KIDS STAY IN YOUR SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike drop and out!
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

Having no dog in the fight felt bad for Hermantown in the sense that they were the better team and deserved to win the game if you take into account game control, chances, etc...but that's hockey it can be a cruel game...hopefully they will consider opting up as they can compete with anyone.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Bulldog4life wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:46 amI believe Andrews has young children. Do you think he underestimated the scrutiny and pressure of the job? Coaching in this atmosphere can affect ones home life more than he expected.
Coach Taylor ran into that with Tami when he had the Dillon job.
Be kind. Rewind.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Can anyone name a class A team that has beaten the champion in class AA two out of four years

Beat these two
Hill Murray. 2019-2020
Grand Rapids 2016-2017

Didn’t play Edina 2018-2019 season
Then lost to 2017-2018 season team by two goals
kniven

Post by kniven »

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

I think we have all seen that article by now, seeing that it is eight years old. You probably don’t need to post it anymore.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Hill Murray is the only private on that list. Point is Herman(Ely,Virginia, Denfeld,Proctor, Hayward)town beat the class AA champ this year and in 2017. Only lost by couple to minnetonka.

Eight straight c-chip games
10 out of 13 state c-chip games in last 13.
What’s left to prove?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:11 pm Hill Murray is the only private on that list. Point is Herman(Ely,Virginia, Denfeld,Proctor, Hayward)town beat the class AA champ this year and in 2017. Only lost by couple to minnetonka.

Eight straight c-chip games
10 out of 13 state c-chip games in last 13.
What’s left to prove?
Can't believe I missed that Hermantown beat HM this year. Here's how they've done against the last 5 AA champs.

2016-beat Wayzata
2017-beat GR
2018-played Tonka close
2019-didnt play Edina
2020-beat HM

Yet they stay in A, losing title games with regularity. Unreal. #-o
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

This article is old too, but I think this Quote by Plante is eerily more relevant today given the circumstances....

"I think it was about time they moved up -- I thought a little late in coming, actually," Plante said Tuesday, minutes before the Hawks boarded a school bus bound for St. Paul. "They played a double-A schedule, so there was really no reason for them to not move up..

"It was like an all-star team -- and we all know that -- so there's no reason for them to play single A."
kniven

Post by kniven »

It’s unfortunate in 2020 boys high school hockey that attracting outside talent to open enroll into your hockey program is what makes a program successful year after year after year. With that in mind, I think more and more that Hermantown should stay in A. The real problem is that too many A programs opt up. The solution is for A opt ups to stay in A. The range teams are pretty much screwed, but that’s just the way it is. And every other A small town school. The A tournament could be outstanding every year with great programs. Every once in a while a small town team will get into the tournament and be everbodies favorite. And small towns needing to figure out the open enrollment benefits and get with the current way of doing things to win.

That’s why I think CEC should and will opt down after next year. I love the fact that 218 has the defacto blueblood in A. If we didn’t have Hermantown, the metro would also dominate A. As long as Hermantown stays, that won’t be an issue.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Hot kidding , right? You are pulling our collective legs. You have to be.

So a kid is good enough to play D1 hockey, but you know D3 is pretty fun. You skate circles around everyone, no one can stop you, and ha you win c-chips. With this theory why play college hockey, or pro for that matter.
You have to work harder and you won’t pull a c-chip every year, the kids should never move up. In the pros you just have to work too hard. Stay in the minors. Right!
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

kniven wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm It’s unfortunate in 2020 boys high school hockey that attracting outside talent to open enroll into your hockey program is what makes a program successful year after year after year. With that in mind, I think more and more that Hermantown should stay in A. The real problem is that too many A programs opt up. The solution is for A opt ups to stay in A. The range teams are pretty much screwed, but that’s just the way it is. And every other A small town school. The A tournament could be outstanding every year with great programs. Every once in a while a small town team will get into the tournament and be everbodies favorite. And small towns needing to figure out the open enrollment benefits and get with the current way of doing things to win.

That’s why I think CEC should and will opt down after next year. I love the fact that 218 has the defacto blueblood in A. If we didn’t have Hermantown, the metro would also dominate A. As long as Hermantown stays, that won’t be an issue.
The metro area hardly "dominates" AA, let alone A

In 2020 there were 66 programs playing in AA sections. Lets assume for a second that number has held steady, give or take, for 30 years. Of those 66 AA programs, 9 are considered northern teams [Duluth Marshall, Duluth East, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Moorhead, St. Cloud, Roseau, Bemidji, Brainerd]. Thats about 13.5% of the teams playing AA that are considered northern.

In looking at past AA champions over the last 30 years, there have been 5 northern champs. Or about 16.5%. Generally a winning percentage several points above their representative percentage in AA.

In looking at past AA championship games over the last 30 years, there have been 21 northern teams participating. Or about 35% of all participating teams. Waaaaaaaay above their representative percentage in AA.

In other words, northern teams are the ones actually "dominating" AA, comparative to their representative percentage in that class.

You'd have a better argument that A has been dominated by metro teams over the last 25-30 years. Metro privates like Benilde, STA and Breck have all won multiple A titles. Even that said, 5 of the last 7 A champions have been northern teams. And the 2 that weren't aren't exactly metro powerhouses [Orono and Mahtomedi].
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:34 pm
kniven wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm It’s unfortunate in 2020 boys high school hockey that attracting outside talent to open enroll into your hockey program is what makes a program successful year after year after year. With that in mind, I think more and more that Hermantown should stay in A. The real problem is that too many A programs opt up. The solution is for A opt ups to stay in A. The range teams are pretty much screwed, but that’s just the way it is. And every other A small town school. The A tournament could be outstanding every year with great programs. Every once in a while a small town team will get into the tournament and be everbodies favorite. And small towns needing to figure out the open enrollment benefits and get with the current way of doing things to win.

In 2020 there were 66 programs playing in AA sections. Lets assume for a second that number has held steady, give or take, for 30 years. Of those 66 AA programs, 9 are considered northern teams [Duluth Marshall, Duluth East, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Moorhead, St. Cloud, Roseau, Bemidji, Brainerd]. Thats about 13.5% of the teams playing AA that are considered northern.

In looking at past AA champions over the last 30 years, there have been 5 northern champs. Or about 16.5%. Generally a winning percentage several points above their representative percentage in AA.

In looking at past AA championship games over the last 30 years, there have been 21 northern teams participating. Or about 35% of all participating teams. Waaaaaaaay above their representative percentage in AA.

In other words, northern teams are the ones actually "dominating" AA, comparative to their representative percentage in that class.

You'd have a better argument that A has been dominated by metro teams over the last 25-30 years. Metro privates like Benilde, STA and Breck have all won multiple A titles. Even that said, 5 of the last 7 A champions have been northern teams. And the 2 that weren't aren't exactly metro powerhouses [Orono and Mahtomedi].
Hard to have a legit conversation when one just doesn't get it. Cloquet may go A at some point, BUT there is no guarantee they would be in section 7. Think of that yet Kniven? They would be the southern most team. Proctor and Hermantown for years were NOT in section 7. Section 5 I believe is where they were at, I will apologize if that is wrong BUT I know they both were not in 7. So your whole "CEC 3rd or 4th seed in 7A" could be thrown out the window as with most of your posts on here.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Jeffy95 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:59 pm
This article is old too, but I think this Quote by Plante is eerily more relevant today given the circumstances....

"I think it was about time they moved up -- I thought a little late in coming, actually," Plante said Tuesday, minutes before the Hawks boarded a school bus bound for St. Paul. "They played a double-A schedule, so there was really no reason for them to not move up..

"It was like an all-star team -- and we all know that -- so there's no reason for them to play single A."
And this is their dear leader. Priceless. #-o
kniven

Post by kniven »

Yea, that would suck being thrown somewhere other than 7A. I think Marshall and Cloquet would be put in 7A. All other sections in A have 12 teams.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Upfan111 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:55 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Hard to have a legit conversation when one just doesn't get it. Cloquet may go A at some point, BUT there is no guarantee they would be in section 7. Think of that yet Kniven? They would be the southern most team. Proctor and Hermantown for years were NOT in section 7. Section 5 I believe is where they were at, I will apologize if that is wrong BUT I know they both were not in 7. So your whole "CEC 3rd or 4th seed in 7A" could be thrown out the window as with most of your posts on here.
Too lazy to look, but I believe there were already 11-12 teams in 5A this year. Not much room for sending teams to 5A. Unless I missed something.,,
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

kniven wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:13 pm Yea, that would suck being thrown somewhere other than 7A. I think Marshall and Cloquet would be put in 7A. All other sections in A have 12 teams.
Do you even think before you post? You made a link to the sections but still don’t know how many are in each section.
In a quick look they have 10 not 12. The only one with 12 is section 5.

Wow.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

Mahtomedi also beat Hill Murray this year so definitely a year of parity...

Orono only lost 5-2 to Tonka when they won 2 years ago...

STA beat AA champ Edina 2-1 in 2013...