The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

defense

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:32 pm

Your team cannot beat them now?? How do you beat them?? Not. How do you get them out of here??

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Roseau??
International Falls in the past???
Yes. Do tell.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:32 pm
Your team cannot beat them now?? How do you beat them?? Not. How do you get them out of here??
[/quotGoose!!!
Throw back to Kennedy. Not what can they do for me. What can I do for the country??

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm
defense wrote:
[/quotGoose!!!
Throw back to Kennedy. Not what can they do for me. What can I do for the country??
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
—-The Great and Powerful Oz

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Goose21 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm
defense wrote:
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Roseau??
Yes. Do tell.
Umm you familiar with Falls?

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm

defense wrote:
Yes! Tell us how small communities beat present day Hermantown.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:24 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm
Hermantown is the king of class A hockey nothing more. Not best in Minnesota. They won’t be till the prove it in class AA.
They actually are the best team in Minnesota right now. Tell me why not
Absolutely not. Go class AA and win a c-chip then we can talk. Get through six plus teams with the same depth Hermantown has. Then we can talk!

Hermantown is the king of class A hockey nothing more till they prove it in class AA.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:25 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm
Goose21 wrote:
defense wrote:

Yes. Do tell.

Yes. So Is the secret to beating Hermantown to get out and skate the Rainey River up north a whole month or two before things freeze up down south just like they did back in 64?

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:24 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm
Hermantown is the king of class A hockey nothing more. Not best in Minnesota. They won’t be till the prove it in class AA.
They actually are the best team in Minnesota right now. Tell me why not
Absolutely not. Go class AA and win a c-chip then we can talk. Get through six plus teams with the same depth Hermantown has. Then we can talk!

Hermantown is the king of class A hockey nothing more till they prove it in class AA.you have to be kidding!

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm

"defense", I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but, almost every one of your last 10-20 posts show zero ability to process basic logic and understanding. Either that or, you know and understand you've been boxed up and are now saying things simply to be adversarial.

First, in response to a post you made a page or so back regarding the player from Fungus Flats transferring to Moorhead so he could "get noticed". I'm sorry but, I'm also fortunate to know a number of NHL scouts in our state, as well as most of the Div. I and Div. III coaches and I promise you, if a kid is worth looking at, they are aware of him and will watch him. Regardless of where he plays. They were aware of the Pierce kid from Ely when he was a 7th grader. I'm good friends with the high school coach and he worked with the kid personally from the time he was 8 and, believe it or not, the coach is also very connected at the pro and junior levels as he was coached in major-junior hockey in Canada by some people who are now extremely well known coaches -- Mike Babcock being one of them. My point to that statement is that the upper-level hockey world is pretty small and, everyone in that world is getting paid to find the best talent possible. No matter where the talent is. Meaning, if you're truly worth looking at, they will find you!

Now, I actually do understand why Pierce left Ely. It wasn't due to lack of exposure. Rather, it is true from a development standpoint that once you attain a certain skill level, you need play with and against a level of talent that's at least in the same ballpark. Unfortunately, there just wasn't any other talent in that group and, Ely's schedule is one of the weakest in the state. So, it made sense for him to go to a better program. Now normally, if you're as skilled as he was as a 7th or 8th grader and you're looking to play against much better competition, both in games and practices, you would try to go to a good "AA" program. Like Duluth East or Grand Rapids. Funny though, he didn't choose to open-enroll to either one of those programs. Nor did he choose one of the two closest "A" programs -- Virgina and Eveleth. Nope, he decided to an go hour further away to Hermantown. And trust me, the main reason was because he felt it was guaranteed he'd get at least one or two trips to state. I know because he's told me this himself.

Next, in response to my statement that Eveleth and Virgina weren't co-oopting their teams due to lack of numbers, but rather the fact the two communities voted to merge their high schools to provide a better learning opportunity due to the synergies created by combining; you respond to that by insinuating that the two communities voted on a referendum to combine so they would have better boys hockey team that could then maybe beat Hermantown?!?! :shock: #-o Please tell me you aren't being serious as that will definitely cement your championship for dumbest comment of the year -- and it's only March.

Next, you made a comment that it would be some sort of blasphemy if we have a sub .500 team win the section. There have already been a number of teams from other sections that won their section with sub .500 records. Sorry my friend but, that's actually ok. That's what the two class system was created for. This idea you have in your head that Class "A" hockey wouldn't be as compelling if a Hermantown or SCC or some other team that consistently beats top "AA" teams aren't in Class "A" is simply flat out wrong. People want competitive games and, most hockey knowledgeable people don't care what the overall skill level is displayed as long as the game is competitive. Just think hoow much better the overall tournament would be if the games in all three rounds were competitive,versus just the final and occasionally the semi-final.

Next, if you think if put Edina or Duluth East or Hill Murray or any other top 10 "AA" team into 7A and removed Hermantown that the exact thing wouldn't happen, you are either drunk, high, or both. Or, you simply have very little understanding of the high school game. But, as either "Ranier" or "Hunters" stated, if in fact either East or Edina couldn't dominate 7A the way Hermantown has, then again, that makes the argument that Hermantown should move to "AA" even stronger.

Next, my God "defense", despite the fact "Ranier" has already stated it, the Eveleth-Virgina merger has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH BEATING OR NOT BEATING HERMANTOWN!! And, for the third time, I explained that both of those schools did receive a "bump" in numbers in their youth programs immediately following their state tourney appearances. Hermantown is just so strong that even that "bump" they did receive wasn't enough to get past Hermantown and the advantages they have in transfers and open-enrollment. Also, in response to your question a couple pages back asking if I was calling for SCC or Warroad to move up? Well, SCC has only been to state two years in a row and, only won one title. And, I suspect there will be at least a slight drop off for them next year so, they're not even guaranteed to get back to state. However, IF they end up going to state for 4 or 5 years in a row, win another title or two or, are consistently in the final the way Hermantown does/is and, the way St. Thomas did...prior to moving up to Class "AA", then yes, I'll call for them to move up as well.

Next "defense", a couple pages back, "Ranier" made the point that Hermantown beat Hibbing in the section final 8-2 and you responded with "it looks like Hibbing didn't show up". Again, you're showing your lack of hockey acumen. Hibbing had an extremely talented team that year and that loss had nothing to do with them "not showing up". Hermantown was simply that much better. Again, as "Ranier" pointed out, Hermantown also beat other top 5 "AA" teams that year. Yet, in your head you somehow process that as meaning that just shows how good "A" hockey is overall. For that line of thinking to be accurate, most hockey knowledgeable people would expect that at least a third to a half of all Class "A" teams could beat those top "AA" teams. Not just 2 or 3 teams.

Finally, I'll approach what "Ranier" has been asking you the last few posts regarding what some of these other programs need to do to "just beat Hermantown" in a slightly different way. Hermantown's consistent success in getting to the tourney, as well as the championship game is literally unprecedented in the modern era of the tournament. Please provide three specific reasons why Hermantown is having so much more success than literally any other Class "A" team in our state.

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Wise Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm
"defense", I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but, almost every one of your last 10-20 posts show zero ability to process basic logic and understanding. Either that or, you know and understand you've been boxed up and are now saying things simply to be adversarial.

First, in response to a post you made a page or so back regarding the player from Fungus Flats transferring to Moorhead so he could "get noticed". I'm sorry but, I'm also fortunate to know a number of NHL scouts in our state, as well as most of the Div. I and Div. III coaches and I promise you, if a kid is worth looking at, they are aware of him and will watch him. Regardless of where he plays. They were aware of the Pierce kid from Ely when he was a 7th grader. I'm good friends with the high school coach and he worked with the kid personally from the time he was 8 and, believe it or not, the coach is also very connected at the pro and junior levels as he was coached in major-junior hockey in Canada by some people who are now extremely well known coaches -- Mike Babcock being one of them. My point to that statement is that the upper-level hockey world is pretty small and, everyone in that world is getting paid to find the best talent possible. No matter where the talent is. Meaning, if you're truly worth looking at, they will find you!

Now, I actually do understand why Pierce left Ely. It wasn't due to lack of exposure. Rather, it is true from a development standpoint that once you attain a certain skill level, you need play with and against a level of talent that's at least in the same ballpark. Unfortunately, there just wasn't any other talent in that group and, Ely's schedule is one of the weakest in the state. So, it made sense for him to go to a better program. Now normally, if you're as skilled as he was as a 7th or 8th grader and you're looking to play against much better competition, both in games and practices, you would try to go to a good "AA" program. Like Duluth East or Grand Rapids. Funny though, he didn't choose to open-enroll to either one of those programs. Nor did he choose one of the two closest "A" programs -- Virgina and Eveleth. Nope, he decided to an go hour further away to Hermantown. And trust me, the main reason was because he felt it was guaranteed he'd get at least one or two trips to state. I know because he's told me this himself.

Next, in response to my statement that Eveleth and Virgina weren't co-oopting their teams due to lack of numbers, but rather the fact the two communities voted to merge their high schools to provide a better learning opportunity due to the synergies created by combining; you respond to that by insinuating that the two communities voted on a referendum to combine so they would have better boys hockey team that could then maybe beat Hermantown?!?! :shock: #-o Please tell me you aren't being serious as that will definitely cement your championship for dumbest comment of the year -- and it's only March.

Next, you made a comment that it would be some sort of blasphemy if we have a sub .500 team win the section. There have already been a number of teams from other sections that won their section with sub .500 records. Sorry my friend but, that's actually ok. That's what the two class system was created for. This idea you have in your head that Class "A" hockey wouldn't be as compelling if a Hermantown or SCC or some other team that consistently beats top "AA" teams aren't in Class "A" is simply flat out wrong. People want competitive games and, most hockey knowledgeable people don't care what the overall skill level is displayed as long as the game is competitive. Just think hoow much better the overall tournament would be if the games in all three rounds were competitive,versus just the final and occasionally the semi-final.

Next, if you think if put Edina or Duluth East or Hill Murray or any other top 10 "AA" team into 7A and removed Hermantown that the exact thing wouldn't happen, you are either drunk, high, or both. Or, you simply have very little understanding of the high school game. But, as either "Ranier" or "Hunters" stated, if in fact either East or Edina couldn't dominate 7A the way Hermantown has, then again, that makes the argument that Hermantown should move to "AA" even stronger.

Next, my God "defense", despite the fact "Ranier" has already stated it, the Eveleth-Virgina merger has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH BEATING OR NOT BEATING HERMANTOWN!! And, for the third time, I explained that both of those schools did receive a "bump" in numbers in their youth programs immediately following their state tourney appearances. Hermantown is just so strong that even that "bump" they did receive wasn't enough to get past Hermantown and the advantages they have in transfers and open-enrollment. Also, in response to your question a couple pages back asking if I was calling for SCC or Warroad to move up? Well, SCC has only been to state two years in a row and, only won one title. And, I suspect there will be at least a slight drop off for them next year so, they're not even guaranteed to get back to state. However, IF they end up going to state for 4 or 5 years in a row, win another title or two or, are consistently in the final the way Hermantown does/is and, the way St. Thomas did...prior to moving up to Class "AA", then yes, I'll call for them to move up as well.

Next "defense", a couple pages back, "Ranier" made the point that Hermantown beat Hibbing in the section final 8-2 and you responded with "it looks like Hibbing didn't show up". Again, you're showing your lack of hockey acumen. Hibbing had an extremely talented team that year and that loss had nothing to do with them "not showing up". Hermantown was simply that much better. Again, as "Ranier" pointed out, Hermantown also beat other top 5 "AA" teams that year. Yet, in your head you somehow process that as meaning that just shows how good "A" hockey is overall. For that line of thinking to be accurate, most hockey knowledgeable people would expect that at least a third to a half of all Class "A" teams could beat those top "AA" teams. Not just 2 or 3 teams.

Finally, I'll approach what "Ranier" has been asking you the last few posts regarding what some of these other programs need to do to "just beat Hermantown" in a slightly different way. Hermantown's consistent success in getting to the tourney, as well as the championship game is literally unprecedented in the modern era of the tournament. Please provide three specific reasons why Hermantown is having so much more success than literally any other Class "A" team in our state.
Wusr old man: you said if the point of eveleth Virginia cp op was beating Hermantown. If not, your former post wouldn't ha e happened.

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:49 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm
Really guys??? Just beat em!!! Wby cannot your teams win ?? Is what you should be asking. Not how do we get Hawjs out of our way?? That thinking helps nothing
Ok, "just beat Hermantown", we understand your position.

Now, if the AA champ can rarely beat Hermantown, then how are smaller communities supposed to? How can TRF get to the the point where they can beat the AA champ almost every year?
Because Thief River is really a AA program. Makes sense honestly

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:50 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm
defense wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 pm

Point was: if a state tournament trip will add be so vital that a program may fail if they never get to go... why didn't that work for Virginia, Eveleth, etc?? Why are they now collapsing into co ops?? The timing of their state births should have given them a good bump in at least numbers that would show up at high school level now or recently you would think, not even concerning ability to compete with Hermantown. That was it.
The other part of that comment was listing teams who seemingly are not really too hurt to continue on despite having that state tourney birth. Point was, state tourney birth may help, definitely in theory, but was trying to point out that it is really not vital. And pointing to some examples.
"defense", please try to actually read what I'm posting. I answered your question about "why didn't it work for Eveleth or Virginia". It actually did work as those programs saw measurable increases in their youth programs' entry-level numbers for 2-3 years following each of their trips to state. Unfortunately, despite the increases in number of kids playing and the coinciding increase in quality players, it still wasn't enough to overcome Hermantown's depth. Which (Hermantown's depth) is the number one beneficiary of their gains from transfers and open-enrollment (remember, a few years ago, 6 of the 12 players on their Squirt A team didn't start playing at Hermantown). What I'm stating for you (or anyone else trying to defend Hermantown) is basic logic and common sense. Those program's inability to get past Hermantown EVEN WITH the bumps in numbers and talent actually proves my point about Hermantown needing to move up even more!

Also, Eveleth and Virginia aren't co-opting their programs due to lack of numbers. The two communities voted on a referendum to combine their schools. They're building a brand new high school,as well as possibly a middle school. Along with a brand new arena.
So. Eveleth and Virginia decided to co op because they couldn't beat Hermantown???? That sucks. Their programs should stop existing. Really??? How dumb. Let's see what we can do for us?? Nope, not in Virginia or Eveleth I guess.. Hermant ok wn is #1... bow down. Dumb dude. That ideology is the death of hockey. Not Hermantown

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Unfortunately wise old man, you jumped into an argument which you didnt know. Read it out

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Goose21 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:25 pm
defense wrote:
Goose21 wrote:

Yes. Do tell.

Yes. So Is the secret to beating Hermantown to get out and skate the Rainey River up north a whole month or two before things freeze up down south just like they did back in 64?
This one is simple. How'd they do it?? How'd I falls do it?

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:54 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm
defense wrote:
Yes! Tell us how small communities beat present day Hermantown.
How they do it? Idk bro how? By complaints or works? Tell me

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Wise Old Man wrote:

All goes to same point: why couldn't they beat them? Not. Why is Hermantown here?

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Simple question guys: why cannot your teams beat Hermantown? Lack of money? Lack of people? Lack of skill ?? Jesus. Our for fathers fighting at Omaha or Ii Jima are rolling in their graves... or having a whiskey. Damn. Beat them!!! All there is to it

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:03 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:

All goes to same point: why couldn't they beat them? Not. Why is Hermantown here?
D ou es not matter. If Hermantown needs
Your best skater to win... beat them

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:07 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm
Simple question guys: why cannot your teams beat Hermantown? Lack of money? Lack of people? Lack of skill ?? Jesus. Our for fathers fighting at Omaha or Ii Jima are rolling in their graves... or having a whiskey. Damn. Beat them!!! All there is to it
The point is class A hockey can’t! I listed those for you already! We already know that and so do you! That is the point you sit on class A hill and scream for all to hear that Hermantown is the best program in MN. Hermantown is the best program in class A, yes. Not in Minnesota. I can name 30 Minnesota programs better! All waiting for their chance to take down this monster program you talk about once they grow a pair and move up!

Move to class AA and then ask that question. You won’t because teams will beat Hermantown!

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:03 pm
defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 pm
Wise Old Man wrote:

D ou es not matter. If Hermantown needs
Your best skater to win... beat them
Then send the best skaters back to their home towns and ask that question again. You won’t because teams will beat them! Problem solved!

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Everyone makes sense here except you defense. You dance around questions and can’t give a direct answer, while others arguing against you, have.

The whole state seems to see how obvious it is that hermantown should move up but you and you have had no good argument supporting them staying in A that makes any sense.

I’ve been waiting for your “ah ha” moment but either you’re too stubborn or too stupid

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 pm

defense wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:52 pm
Goose21 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:25 pm
defense wrote:

This one is simple. How'd they do it?? How'd I falls do it?
No one ever skates the ‘Rainey’ or the Rainy River.
Not in 64 54 74 or ever

defense

Post by defense » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:17 pm

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm
Everyone makes sense here except you defense. You dance around questions and can’t give a direct answer, while others arguing against you, have.

The whole state seems to see how obvious it is that hermantown should move up but you and you have had no good argument supporting them staying in A that makes any sense.

I’ve been waiting for your “ah ha” moment but either you’re too stubborn or too stupid
But I ask questions. No one else answers. So... I answered you too. You want.to avoid because you are sure. Hermantown will kill it. Tou are wrong

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:25 pm

This thread is incredible . Makes drama in West Metro , East Metro , Omg and Lvs look like nothing in comparison !