CoVid-19

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InThePipes

Re: CoVid-19

Post by InThePipes » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:36 am

goldy313 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 am
As of Saturday the youngest Minnesotan died of Covid-19, he was 44 and lived in a long term care facility. That brought the average age of a Minnesotan that died from Covid-19 down to 83 from 86. Of course the average life expectancy of Minnesotans is 78....every death is a loss but from the day we are born we are one day closer to death. I am becoming less confident by the day in our state and national Government. Some respectable infectious disease MD’s in California have now put the death rate at 0.003.

I get why we suspended everything, say Mayo does 100 elective procedures a day, each elective procedure takes up 5 people’s worth of PPE, a surgeon, an assistant, an anesthesiologist, a surgical tech, and a nurse. That is 5 people, times 100 times 5 days a week. (This is way underestimating Mayo). They would burn through PPE in 2 weeks. You had to stop to get a hold on your PPE as it is largely a “just in time” supply.

We now know just how slow the ICU bed rate is evolving,it is time to slowly start getting back to normal. We have the ICU beds, we have the PPE. We need to adjust our lunch rooms, we need to protect our long term care residents,we will be alright.
=D>

Spot on in my opinion.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:44 pm

The data is jumping now. Went from 200s to 300s to 400s in three days. The jump is concerning but even more concerning is the percentage of those tested who are positive. Yes we are testing more people per day but it has been 10% of those tested being positive for last week. Yesterday and today it is more like 15% of those tested. We aren’t anywhere near plateaud with this thing yet. Those hospital icu beds will fill up plenty quick here.

Let’s slow the push to reopen just a bit longer. That exponential growth over last few days tells me we aren’t in the clear yet. Yes maybe lift the stay at home but remember the CDC rules. Mask, distance, gather in less then ten, these are the things we need to continue. And more importantly only leave home when neccessary. Neccessary is different for each person but being smart about that stuff will keep us safe.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:27 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:36 am
goldy313 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 am
As of Saturday the youngest Minnesotan died of Covid-19, he was 44 and lived in a long term care facility. That brought the average age of a Minnesotan that died from Covid-19 down to 83 from 86. Of course the average life expectancy of Minnesotans is 78....every death is a loss but from the day we are born we are one day closer to death. I am becoming less confident by the day in our state and national Government. Some respectable infectious disease MD’s in California have now put the death rate at 0.003.

I get why we suspended everything, say Mayo does 100 elective procedures a day, each elective procedure takes up 5 people’s worth of PPE, a surgeon, an assistant, an anesthesiologist, a surgical tech, and a nurse. That is 5 people, times 100 times 5 days a week. (This is way underestimating Mayo). They would burn through PPE in 2 weeks. You had to stop to get a hold on your PPE as it is largely a “just in time” supply.

We now know just how slow the ICU bed rate is evolving,it is time to slowly start getting back to normal. We have the ICU beds, we have the PPE. We need to adjust our lunch rooms, we need to protect our long term care residents,we will be alright.
=D>

Spot on in my opinion.

Totally agree. People who are afraid to go out can stay home. The rest of us need to go back to work.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Summer hockey is now being affected by COVID. If the Governor follows the CDC protocol to reopen the state starting on May 18, it is difficult to see how summer training begins for any high school sport before July.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Ok so here’s the deal. For those opposed to staying at home for next couple weeks. It will never happen and there would be riots. Let’s just throw this out there. If you want out of stay at home, you sign a contract that says you will stay out of the hospital if you get sick from this virus. And everyone you infect has to stay out of the hospital. Leaving the ICU beds for those who comply or work in hospitals and get this virus can use the ICU beds.
Leaving hospitals to care for those who have been infected. The hospital beds will fill up quicker than you can imagine if the gov opens everything up right now. ICU beds will be exceeded and then you have people who can’t be cared for the way they need.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Ok so here’s the deal. For those opposed to staying at home for next couple weeks. It will never happen and there would be riots. Let’s just throw this out there. If you want out of stay at home, you sign a contract that says you will stay out of the hospital if you get sick from this virus. And everyone you infect has to stay out of the hospital. Leaving the ICU beds for those who comply or work in hospitals and get this virus can use the ICU beds.
Leaving hospitals to care for those who have been infected. The hospital beds will fill up quicker than you can imagine if the gov opens everything up right now. ICU beds will be exceeded and then you have people who can’t be cared for the way they need.
I find it pretty unnerving and devastating that the US has lost on average about 2,000 people a day for the last month, even with 90% of the population on lockdown. 200,000 new cases in the past 7 days (including today). That's really concerning for what we're going to see for new deaths in 2-3 weeks.

I get the time lag from catching the virus to showing the symptoms and potential mortality, and this slow burn is pretty consistent.

I really hope the federal and state governments rise to this challenge, because so far I have not been inspired. If states are opening up and increasing business starting tomorrow, this constant drip of 2,000 deaths a day could continue on through most of the summer, and the nation will hit 100,000 deaths around May 20. Never mind the number on Labor Day.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 am

This is a virus that is MOSTLY attacking the VERY elderly and those with underlying health issues to a lesser extent. 86 was the average age death and 44 (lived in nursing home) is the youngest in Minnesota. We had all these clues on who it was attacking in Italy... We could have focused our energy/money on protecting our nursing homes (90% of the deaths) and quarantining those with the underlying issues. We would have saved billions/trillions in cost and the rest of the population would have had the possibility of getting the typical sniffle to low grade fever from it. Zero economic collapse.

We did it all wrong and our elderly are taking the brunt of it...

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:04 pm

So I hear a lot about getting out of stay at home. Ok . The state will have the Stay at home exception contract. You sign the contract to stay out of the hospital if you become sick and all your family. Then go to it and don’t come to the hospital and good luck to you all!

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 pm

So fill me in on why hospitals should have to take care of people that go don’t comply with mandates from governor? Your so sure it’s safe and that you don’t need to stay home, well then stay out of hospitals!

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Fri May 01, 2020 5:43 pm

In my opinion more Minnesotans will be hurt by this extended stay at home order than by the virus its self. My wife and myself have worked the whole time. 117 people in the ICU statewide. Lets protect our seniors and get back to work where possible. Now.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:21 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 am
This is a virus that is MOSTLY attacking the VERY elderly and those with underlying health issues to a lesser extent. 86 was the average age death and 44 (lived in nursing home) is the youngest in Minnesota. We had all these clues on who it was attacking in Italy... We could have focused our energy/money on protecting our nursing homes (90% of the deaths) and quarantining those with the underlying issues. We would have saved billions/trillions in cost and the rest of the population would have had the possibility of getting the typical sniffle to low grade fever from it. Zero economic collapse.

=D> This is how I see it for sure.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:29 pm

So let me know what you think of the Iowa situation. They never stayed at home. Take a look at deaths and infections compared to Minnesota. Keep in mind the population is half that of Minnesota. Think about how that has worked out for them........
Death rates and infections.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Fri May 01, 2020 8:26 pm

99.24%
Play Like a Champion Today

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:03 pm

The increase is largely, in fact almost entirely in 4 countries; Hennepin (which has a huge problem), Nobles, Stearns, and Kandyohi (where the outbreak is centered around packing plants). Nowhere else is the rate rising at any rate of concern.

Most concerning to me was when a reporter on Thursday asked Walz about Minnesota having the highest death rate, both per capital and among those tested of any of our neighboring states and Walz had no idea that was even the case. None! Yet, he is setting policy?

The projections he has been using have been not just off but way off, while the actual rates are nearly outliers if not outliers. FWIW Mayo starts some outpatient elective surgery on Monday. I don’t think they are as concerned as the Governor.

There are undercurrents of politics in all this, both sides of the aisle. Now you have Democratic mayors in Atlanta and Birmingham refusing to allow reopenings the Governors there are allowing and Modeco County in CA is no longer enforcing the lockdown.

Oh, for hockey...... Rochester just canceled all group activity at its Park and Rec facilities through July 9. No baseball, hockey, soccer, softball, swimming, etc. if Kasson is smart their ice rental rates just spiked.
Last edited by goldy313 on Fri May 01, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 pm
So fill me in on why hospitals should have to take care of people that go don’t comply with mandates from governor? Your so sure it’s safe and that you don’t need to stay home, well then stay out of hospitals!
Sorry but couldn’t resist. What an ignorant statement this is. There are people out there that are losing something they have poored their whole lives into. Losing their businesses, livelihoods, ant pay their mortgage or rent etc. This is all you have to say? I’m sure you’ve sold off all of your assets by now (home, retirement accounts, etc) and donated it to those that have experienced the economic pain of this right? If it keeps one more person able to stay home it is worth it right? Suck it up and sacrifice right? Well
lead by example then.

And what is your plan anyway? A top epidemiologist at the U said today this may last 2 years and not go away until we achieve herd immunity. This isn’t going away soon. Your butt better not leave the house in the next years then. Talk a big game then back it up

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:00 pm

I want to throw this out there too....... given the average age of death is 83+ and that most, >80%, come from long term care facilities......how many had DNR/DNI orders? (do not resuscitate, do not incubate) meaning only comfort care was given, no ventilator. My guess is it is a very high percentage, well over 75%.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri May 01, 2020 11:19 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Walz should enforce a strict protocol (Daily employee tests/showers at the door) to enter nursing homes and then there would be so few in the hospitals.

MAYBE “mandate” those with underlying issues to stay home and send funding their way to survive financially.

SO few with severe cases or death beyond those two groups...

1918 was a pandemic! Man, woman, child, baby and really seemed to target those in their 20’s. This is attacking the very weak and we have them packed in like sardines with no fresh air......!!!

Last edited by MrBoDangles on Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 pm

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:51 pm
Hunters1993 wrote:
Sorry but couldn’t resist. What an ignorant statement this is. There are people out there that are losing something they have poored their whole lives into. Losing their businesses, livelihoods, ant pay their mortgage or rent etc. This is all you have to say? I’m sure you’ve sold off all of your assets by now (home, retirement accounts, etc) and donated it to those that have experienced the economic pain of this right? If it keeps one more person able to stay home it is worth it right? Suck it up and sacrifice right? Well
lead by example then.

And what is your plan anyway? A top epidemiologist at the U said today this may last 2 years and not go away until we achieve herd immunity. This isn’t going away soon. Your butt better not leave the house in the next years then. Talk a big game then back it up
🏆

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 am

SE Minnesota, as generally accepted, consists of ten counties and includes Rochester, Austin, Albert Lea, Winona, Owatonna, and Red Wing.....some of our largest outstate cities. In total they account for 24 deaths, most in a long term care facility in Winona, 15. Olmsted County has a population of >130,000 and has 8 deaths, a rate of 0.00006% . Steele, Mower, and Freeborn County have zero deaths. Houston County, which borders Winona, LaCrosse, and Allamakee counties (all who are hit hard) has 1 total positive case. 1! Yet we treat them the same as Hennepin County. Stupid!).

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:51 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 am

Spot. On.
In an age of data analytics that are pervasive through business and professional sports, if we applied the same type of analytics and pinpointed action to COVID, we would be able to spare much of the collateral damage we are seeing. Focus on what we can control (protect the elderly and susceptible from exposure) and move forward with measured, preventative policies in place for everyone else. The lack of macroeconomic understanding is going to be our undoing.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:35 pm

The scary part for me is that there is a big chunk of our population that thinks we have an endless supply of money and a few months off of work with some free cash won’t create any future problems.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:06 pm

Sorry I didn’t answer statements sooner. I had my three 12 hour nursing shifts this weekend. Took a long shower and took a long nap.

No one is asking anyone to stay home for next two months. The governor and the cdc are asking for May and maybe June before things open up slowly. Follow the recommendations of the governor and cdc and then will be happy to care for you.

For those who can’t follow the governor and cdc rules can sign the contract and stay out of the hospital for those who don’t follow rules. It’s for those who can’t just hold on till end of May. Your world won’t crumble to the ground by end of May. Relax! If you can’t relax till then go and take your chances but stay out of the hospital and leave those few ICU beds for those who can follow the rules for two more weeks.

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:26 am

Hunters1993 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:06 pm
Sorry I didn’t answer statements sooner. I had my three 12 hour nursing shifts this weekend. Took a long shower and took a long nap.

No one is asking anyone to stay home for next two months. The governor and the cdc are asking for May and maybe June before things open up slowly. Follow the recommendations of the governor and cdc and then will be happy to care for you.

For those who can’t follow the governor and cdc rules can sign the contract and stay out of the hospital for those who don’t follow rules. It’s for those who can’t just hold on till end of May. Your world won’t crumble to the ground by end of May. Relax! If you can’t relax till then go and take your chances but stay out of the hospital and leave those few ICU beds for those who can follow the rules for two more weeks.
So many disturbing statements here, it’s hard to know where to start. So, you say “relax” to those who are struggling to make ends meet, losing their businesses, losing careers, losing retirement with little hope to rebuild, losing their homes, suffering mental and physical damage, increasing the threat of suicide, deferring other medical needs that could be serious later, students losing social and sporting growth and experiences, teachers being thrust into the incomprehensible stress of distance teaching. We’re supposed to “relax”??? Then, you demand that those who want to reopen things have to sign a contract that they will not be treated if they get COVID. So, do you require the same contract for a drunk driver, smoker, driver who was texting, heavy drinker or someone who is injured while making a decision that involves any level of risk? Are you proposing that the medical institutions should now segregate patients into “help” and “no help” based on how they got to that state?

Try to understand the facts. COVID has largely impacted the elderly and those with underlying health issues. We should be able to protect them while taking reasonable precautionary steps in an open society. Yes, there will be other deaths from this, but shutting down the economy and impacting lives to this degree is not a proportionate response. You likely disagree, but then I ask - why haven’t we taken these same steps with other illnesses in the past? Is your goal zero tolerance/zero deaths? If so, this debate will never be settled. It’s not reasonable and it unavoidably calls into question why we accept deaths from other preventable illnesses and behavior without shutting down the country.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:25 am

The government had the opportunity to stop the spread of the virus. It would have required a two month shelter in place, with income replacement for those people unable to continue employment. It would require mass testing and hiring contact tracers. Look at New Zealand, South Korea and Germany. They committed to a true response, based in science, facts, and an attempt at responsible government.

Instead - we got legislation with 80% of the benefits flowing to billionaires. Stimulus checks arriving far too late to make any sort of difference to business. Workers are now being forced back to work in places with rampant COVID spread, or they lose unemployment benefits. People are protesting and flocking to beaches and parties, spreading this virus around. Most importantly - if you take New York out of the equation, the virus infection rates are still increasing across the nation. In effect, we did nothing but prolong the pain.

It was bad enough, what we had to endure in March and April. It's worse because we all didn't commit to the process.

Now, I'd say it's going to come back and ruin everyone's summer and fall, but the virus didn't go anywhere. That will be far more costly than whatever our government failed to pay (the entity that could fund the entire response with 0% bonds) in March and April.

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Sun May 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Fact is those 3 countries have done a much better job than we have. That’s not a cnn issue. That’s reality.