MSHSL moves football to spring

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

MSHSL moves football to spring

Post by elliott70 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:18 pm

***MSHSL UPDATE ON FOOTBALL SEASON***

The MSHSL Board just voted to move HS Football in MN to a newly developed winter/spring season. We will have a season from March 15th - May 15th. I know there will many questions as to what that entails and we will work to provide you with those answers as soon as we know them.

BSUBeaver

Re: MSHSL moves football to spring

Post by BSUBeaver » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:24 pm

And traditional spring sports to May 15-July 15.

jdh

Post by jdh » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:26 pm

They should move baseball to fall to accommodate kids who play both sports.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm

It will be very interesting what the MSHSL will do with its “cash cow“ called hockey. It is also the main cash flow for some schools too.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:56 pm

First take is plenty of players going Junior route vs waiting out a decision that seems in jeopardy. Unfortunate. Football is actually a larger revenue sport.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:02 pm

I was referring to the amount of money hockey generates through Sections and the state tournament and tv revenue. Football doesn’t produce more revenue.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:51 pm

jdh wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:26 pm
They should move baseball to fall to accommodate kids who play both sports.
Baseball season (late spring-early summer)will begin after football (early spring).
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 pm

Some considerations :

Hockey has returned to SOH for over a month now , haven’t heard any Minn Health references to rink activity ?

Mshshl will likely err on the cautious side ?

Whereas summer/fall private trnys/leagues and summer/fall team skates will likely be more liberal in their risk assessment ?

Private operators are able to get liability waivers . Impractical for mshsl or school boards to go that route? You’d hate to think that diff is the reason to keep or cancel the season

Some D1 Kids parents are worried a Covid outbreak could sink a kids jr team, even though they have said they will play a full season. And/ or more Covid exposure while traveling

If mshsl cancels or shortens hockey season ,Some SOH private leagues may consider extending their season schedule

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:18 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 pm
Some considerations :

Hockey has returned to SOH for over a month now , haven’t heard any Minn Health references to rink activity ?

Mshshl will likely err on the cautious side ?

Whereas summer/fall private trnys/leagues and summer/fall team skates will likely be more liberal in their risk assessment ?

Private operators are able to get liability waivers . Impractical for mshsl or school boards to go that route? You’d hate to think that diff is the reason to keep or cancel the season

Some D1 Kids parents are worried a Covid outbreak could sink a kids jr team, even though they have said they will play a full season. And/ or more Covid exposure while traveling

If mshsl cancels or shortens hockey season ,Some SOH private leagues may consider extending their season schedule
I think it’s more than “may consider extending”, I think it’s “are already planning to extend” based on what I’ve heard.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am

Key takeaways from MSHSL statement regarding fall activities.

- season duration reduced by 20%
- competitions reduced by 30%
- competitions limited to 3 teams
- regional / State competitions TBD
- focus on district/conference play to minimize travel
- pods of 25; this includes coaching staffs

If applied to hockey, season reduced from 17 weeks to ~13 weeks.
Reg season games reduced from 25 to 17 games

Interesting times 🤔...
Play Like a Champion Today

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Just for a point of comparison, here in Colorado the CHSAA announced their plans for the high school sports season yesterday. The basic gist is that there will be four seasons, each approximately seven weeks in length. Football and volleyball are moved to the early spring (Season C), as with Minnesota. Here is where things get really interesting, however...

“In anticipation of data from the state which shows a likely resurgence of COVID-19 cases in late fall, there will be a participation moratorium from Oct. 18, 2020 to Jan. 3, 2021.” (From the press release on the CHSAA website)

So sports in Season B, which includes hockey, will begin on Jan. 4, and conclude by March 6. Hockey will be limited to 13 regular season games, with a more limited playoff pool.

Let’s hope that things go smoothly, and there is not a second wave (or even continued first wave) to throw a wrench into things.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:28 pm

No answers, but would opine that the fall decision begins to build a roadmap for hockey. When you see colleges and universities planning to wrap up the fall semester by Thanksgiving, it doesn't bode well for business as usual for hockey in November. I'm guessing, at best, we are looking at delayed starts, reduced competition, and maximum flexibility needed from everyone. Cost efficient testing, rapid turnaround times, or a vaccine are the best hopes out there. I know hope isn't a strategy, but hope is what we are all living on at this point when it comes to athletics.

Let's just hope that there's an opportunity to get together in Saint Paul, come March of '21. 8)

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:46 pm

“Let's just hope that there's an opportunity to get together in Saint Paul, come March of '21. “

Amen!

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:31 pm

I look at that Colorado moratorium with sheer dismay. That cannot occur in Minnesota, because there won't be a moratorium.

The local "high end" leagues are waiting to hear from the High School league and will fill in the blanks with games. Also, I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that USA Hockey sent me an email yesterday saying it would "sanction" safe hockey this upcoming season.

To me, keeping high school teams together to practice and, perhaps, reduce the schedule / localize competition is far better than enacting a moratorium that players are going to ignore by jumping on new teams and playing kids from all over the State or, worse, traveling to Illinois / Indiana / Michigan / the Northeast to play games.

Anyone here have access to the High School League's ears? They can't do what Colorado plans to do.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:58 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:02 pm
I was referring to the amount of money hockey generates through Sections and the state tournament and tv revenue. Football doesn’t produce more revenue.

Yes it does. Section money goes to the section for all sports. By law the MSHSL gets US Bank stadium rent free, same as the Metrodome. The state did not do the same for the Wild. The Wild “rape” the MSHSL. The MSHSL would do far better financially moving to the Target Center. What the Wild do to the high schools make me hope the Wild lose every game and move to San Antonio. State of hockey.....lol.

Today the Rochester schools put online learning only for grades 6-12 in place through October 30.

FWIW... if the March 15 start date is for practice and under current rules there has to be 3 weeks of practice before the first game. That leaves 6 weeks for football games in total. If March 15 is the first week for games that puts football starting practice in February. Shortening the hockey season gets into contract law with the Wild. The guidelines are very vague. We are the only state adjacent to us us moving football to the spring.

SE Minnesota has numerous turf fields: Austin (2), Rochester (2), Winona (2), Kasson, Eyota, and Triton have one each. This area of the state along with the metro can easily pull off a season if games can be played multiple times over 2-3 days. I worry what happens in other areas.

Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:09 am

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:58 pm
greenwayraider wrote:

Yes it does. Section money goes to the section for all sports. By law the MSHSL gets US Bank stadium rent free, same as the Metrodome. The state did not do the same for the Wild. The Wild “rape” the MSHSL. The MSHSL would do far better financially moving to the Target Center. What the Wild do to the high schools make me hope the Wild lose every game and move to San Antonio. State of hockey.....lol.

Today the Rochester schools put online learning only for grades 6-12 in place through October 30.

FWIW... if the March 15 start date is for practice and under current rules there has to be 3 weeks of practice before the first game. That leaves 6 weeks for football games in total. If March 15 is the first week for games that puts football starting practice in February. Shortening the hockey season gets into contract law with the Wild. The guidelines are very vague. We are the only state adjacent to us us moving football to the spring.

SE Minnesota has numerous turf fields: Austin (2), Rochester (2), Winona (2), Kasson, Eyota, and Triton have one each. This area of the state along with the metro can easily pull off a season if games can be played multiple times over 2-3 days. I worry what happens in other areas.
The Wild don’t own Excel Energy Center. How are they putting the screws to a bunch of High School kids?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:57 am

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:58 pm
greenwayraider wrote:

State football interferes with the first weeks and often games of the hockey season every year. See no reason why they wouldn’t allow that in the reverse.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:36 pm

Nearly every or every school that plays hockey plays football. Less than half of the schools that play football play hockey. In football in 1-9man - AAA only two of 34 schools play hockey; LaCrescent and Lourdes. A handful of others are in co-ops, most in Dodge County.

At any rate the I believe the state hockey tournament (if it happens) occurs before March 15.

The Wild do not own the Xcel Energy Center but they run it. By law the Metrodome and US Bank Stadium are given to the MSHSL rent free. The legislature screwed up not giving the Xcel Energy Center to the MSHSL tent free. That allows the Wild to charge whatever they want. The MSHSL has detailed this problem almost yearly. The increased rent caused the MSHSL to drop a day from the state wrestling tournament.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm

College football is toast for the fall. The MAC was the first domino to fall, and the Big Ten and PAC 12 are expected to announce cancellations this week. The remaining leagues will have no choice but to follow suit. A multi-billion dollar industry is shutting down, which should tell us that there is simply no way to conduct contact sports outside of a bubble scenario given our current lack of control over the virus.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm
College football is toast for the fall. The MAC was the first domino to fall, and the Big Ten and PAC 12 are expected to announce cancellations this week. The remaining leagues will have no choice but to follow suit. A multi-billion dollar industry is shutting down, which should tell us that there is simply no way to conduct contact sports outside of a bubble scenario given our current lack of control over the virus.
This really stinks. I think you're right.

I find it very interesting to watch the divides with regard to playing or sitting out. Ohio State parents wanting their kids to play. Conference commissioners unwilling to construct a "bubble" in one city and make it happen. Public statements all over the place. It's crazy how divided we all are about .... everything, let alone a virus.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:59 pm

I think the Big 10 shuts down, the Pac-12 shutting down was already going to happen.....

I follow a college football blogger out of Florida who even today thinks SEC and Big XII are playing no matter what the other conferences do. Probably with few on site fans. Those Conferences can delay the season until October and still get a full season in, so calling the whole thing off by Aug 10 doesn’t make sense. Limited rosters with players in a bubble with academic advisers will, hopefully, allow play.

I think he is right.

Much of this is political, unfortunately.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:22 pm

What amuses me is that all of these leagues, pro & college, all a long they've been like, "Yeah, we're going full steam ahead." Even after spring training was cancelled, one Twins exec less than two weeks before the opener sounded 100% certain the season would start on time. There's never any holding back, no accepting reality that, yeah, we hope to play but we know we can't be 100% sure at this point.

It's continuing. It's not "we hope to play football in the spring". It's we WILL play football in the spring. We just don't know what the situation will be like in 3 or 6 months. Stop urinating on my leg and telling me it's raining.

That said, I'm really going to miss the high school hockey season.
Hockey Is For Everyone

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:33 pm

The reality is kids are fully playing. Full tournaments and games. The MN Tier 1 Fall League is playing. If they do cancel the HS season, there will be groups that pop up to offer a "season" of hockey. If just won't be the high schools. There are already leagues popping up to fill in for/or until junior programs begin. The big loser if there is no hockey season will be high school hockey as it will accelerate the move towards juniors.
The goalposts have been moved so far from "Control the spread to not over burden the hospitals" to "no kid can test positive."
Total hospitalizations in MN have been .1% of the population or a total of 5661 people hospitalized. If we accept "we can't play sports until there is a vaccine" into the future, there will never be anything in the future. Because even the regular flu could not pass the current standards.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:46 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:33 pm
The reality is kids are fully playing. Full tournaments and games. The MN Tier 1 Fall League is playing. If they do cancel the HS season, there will be groups that pop up to offer a "season" of hockey. If just won't be the high schools. There are already leagues popping up to fill in for/or until junior programs begin. The big loser if there is no hockey season will be high school hockey as it will accelerate the move towards juniors.
The goalposts have been moved so far from "Control the spread to not over burden the hospitals" to "no kid can test positive."
Total hospitalizations in MN have been .1% of the population or a total of 5661 people hospitalized. If we accept "we can't play sports until there is a vaccine" into the future, there will never be anything in the future. Because even the regular flu could not pass the current standards.
Yeah, the critical issue is bolded above. Private leagues are waiting for the High School League to act, and then will fill in the blanks.

My skater played on a team with players from 15 different communities and 2 states last weekend. Dozens of teams at the tourney. That was only one of 7-8 tournaments and programs taking place across the Cities last weekend.

The High School League will make community spread more likely if it restricts or cancels winter HS hockey (and basketball) and for that reason alone, it makes more sense to run the season as normal, with restrictions on attendance if needed. The players are safer if they remain with their teams.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:57 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:33 pm
Agree on all counts.

I'm also beginning to wonder what will happen if the MSHSL comes out in Sept/Oct and states they will allow a "truncated" season (and even that option is probably optimistic based on they way previous decisions have been made). How many players will simply forgo the high school season altogether if other fall leagues will continue and offer a more full/complete schedule?