MSHSL moves football to spring

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mite-dad

Re: MSHSL moves football to spring

Post by Mite-dad »

Junior Gold?
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Mite-dad wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:25 pmJunior Gold?
That's one of many options including HSEL, Red/Black, Tier 1 teams (Blades, Blue Army, Blizzard) all continuing on beyond October when they'd normally stop
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

So what you guys are saying is” give me high school hockey or I’ll take my kid elsewhere”? Very mature. You guys were the kids who said I quit and took the ball home with you so no one else could play!

MSHSL should not make decisions based on others decision to not follow the rules or put their kids at risk. So no MSHSL should not have a season and the other leagues. If you want to put your kids at risk go for it but keep them out of my kids school so they can’t infect his school because you guys couldn’t take a year off!

I think all the hockey kids who play in those leagues should have their own school to attend and so they can take the risks all they want but can keep those who think through this stuff safe. Maybe your coaches can teach too. Leave the schools safer and you guys can live in your own little bubble and share the virus all you like. And keep my kid safe.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:49 pm So what you guys are saying is” give me high school hockey or I’ll take my kid elsewhere”? Very mature. You guys were the kids who said I quit and took the ball home with you so no one else could play!

MSHSL should not make decisions based on others decision to not follow the rules or put their kids at risk. So no MSHSL should not have a season and the other leagues. If you want to put your kids at risk go for it but keep them out of my kids school so they can’t infect his school because you guys couldn’t take a year off!

I think all the hockey kids who play in those leagues should have their own school to attend and so they can take the risks all they want but can keep those who think through this stuff safe. Maybe your coaches can teach too. Leave the schools safer and you guys can live in your own little bubble and share the virus all you like. And keep my kid safe.
I don't think there will be HS hockey this year, I do think there will be many other leagues that exist in it's absence, it's not about quitting anything. I do not think MSHSL cares about that nor do I think it'll influence their decision in any way.

Good luck to you and your family.
Last edited by InThePipes on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:49 pm So what you guys are saying is” give me high school hockey or I’ll take my kid elsewhere”? Very mature. You guys were the kids who said I quit and took the ball home with you so no one else could play!

Not to be pedantic or to take away from your overall point, but your analogy is poor. They’re more like the kid whose friend went inside and said they couldn’t keep playing on his rink because it was getting cold out, so they went somewhere else and kept playing. Frostbite or not.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

No. What I'm saying is the MSHSL should allow the regular hockey season and, if anything, reduce the number of games and localize said games.

If the season is reduced/cancelled and other leagues fill the gaps, that increases the risk of illness for anyone.

I want the HS teams to stay together and reduce any potential transmission.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

With USA Hockey giving the go ahead, MN Hockey Tier 1 hockey is off and running.

Since mid-July, the 2004's have had 4 days of tryouts, 2 practices/scrimmages and 2 days of training at an offsite location in Duluth.

The 06's have had multiple days of tryouts and were at TRIA this past weekend for their pre-season camp.

The kids are exited to be back on the ice and are following guidelines from USA Hockey, State of MN Health; etc.

Parents know their kids and are putting trust in the MN Hockey staffs across the state that want to continue coaching. Is their some risk? Yes, but it's not stopping those of us who wish to live our lives in a SAFE MANNER. Isn't that what we're being told?

Why don't you just stop with the "They should get their own school if they want to play." If you think the kids are not already interacting with each other outside of hockey or any other social activity, you are living in dream world.
Play Like a Champion Today
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

blueblood wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:22 pm With USA Hockey giving the go ahead, MN Hockey Tier 1 hockey is off and running.

Since mid-July, the 2004's have had 4 days of tryouts, 2 practices/scrimmages and 2 days of training at an offsite location in Duluth.

The 06's have had multiple days of tryouts and were at TRIA this past weekend for their pre-season camp.

The kids are exited to be back on the ice and are following guidelines from USA Hockey, State of MN Health; etc.

Parents know their kids and are putting trust in the MN Hockey staffs across the state that want to continue coaching. Is their some risk? Yes, but it's not stopping those of us who wish to live our lives in a SAFE MANNER. Isn't that what we're being told?

Why don't you just stop with the "They should get their own school if they want to play." If you think the kids are not already interacting with each other outside of hockey or any other social activity, you are living in dream world.
Agree, not to mention the 100's of other teams that are playing AAA tournaments throughout the state right now (or that were playing just across the border prior to it being allowed in MN).
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Take all the kids in these leagues and make a school for each league. Let them live the risk they decided to take. The kids and families who are being smart about all this can keep their school safe. If you want to take the risk that is fine but keep the risk takers in their own school. And good luck.

Lou Nanne said he wouldn’t want hockey kids playing in a league right now and then attend school with his kids. He is even one of you! And he gets it!

If you take risks and then put my kid at risk because of your decisions then it becomes a problem for the non hockey kids.

What the kids do outside of the classroom is their choice. But when I have to send my kid to school and sit next to the hockey kid to get his education that is not right. My kid gets higher risk just to go to school? That’s why they need their own school if they want to take risks group all the risk takers together is my point.
Like I said have a elite hockey league school this fall and have one of the hockey dads or one of the coaches teach.
Just keep your kid out of my kids school!
Last edited by Hunters1993 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:45 pm

Not to be pedantic or to take away from your overall point, but your analogy is poor. They’re more like the kid whose friend went inside and said they couldn’t keep playing on his rink because it was getting cold out, so they went somewhere else and kept playing. Frostbite or not.

How about a parent stepping up and saying one year of training and games won’t kill your kid and telling the kid to train more safely so they dont get frostbite. Aren’t parents more concerned about protecting their children then training them in hockey!
HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 »

Clearly some people posting here do not have a teenager at home. These kids are done with it. Parties are happening, going to the cabin or lake, etc. All with not a mask in sight and zero social distancing. This is not about those scary hockey kids coming to your school and getting your kid sick. The parents who naively think the majority of kids sitting in class have been CDC compliant are woefully unaware of the real world of the 16 to 19 year old's world in August. Those families should opt for on-line only while the other kids are being kids. Drop the puck.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Just an FYI, there is a thing called a pandemic going on! The word pandemic doesn’t get used till necessary. It might be a good time to do things a little different for a few months. Come on parents! Parents should be able to guide their kids to good decisions. Again parents should be stepping up and putting heir big boy pants on and ensuring their kids are following rules. Again if you want your kids taking risks like parties or going to the cabin and making terrible decisions that’s fine. Keep them out of my kids school.

My kid learns much better with the teacher close and able to assist in his learning. He achieves great things when in school, they don’t do well with online school. So my kids education needs to be limited or degraded so the kids can play hockey? You have got to be kidding me! I am appalled by closed mindness of this forum. Huge hockey fan and take my kids to Xcel last fifteen years, but will not let hockey degrade my kids education.

My kids have done lots with friends but under much more safe conditions then your describing!
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Ok, I want to clarify a few points some of you have made and then , ask some questions that I'd appreciate those of you who believe it's pretty safe to play answering. First, as it relates to what kids/parents might choose to do IF the MSHSL cancels or shortens the season. In regards to any type of USA Hockey/Minnesota Hockey sanctioned Tier I/II teams either forming or, for those already formed for the fall and spring continuing to play into the traditional high school hockey season time frame, it's very unlikely that either situation will be allowed. One, because Minnesota Hockey already has an in-season opportunity for high school aged players in the Junior Gold level. That, combined with the current limitations regarding the HP Tier I/II teams' seasons, from what I've heard MH isn't planning on changing the parameters on the fly.

So, most of the upper level high school players will have no choice but to either opt to play Junior A (if they're playing) or play Junior Gold. Or, there's also the possibility private teams might form and register as an AAU team. Now for the questions I'd appreciate you guys answering.

1.) I've raised this before but, I'll ask again.... I've already spoken with the Minnesota Department of Health and they have confirmed my interpretation on this -- and this applies to the high school level as well -- if a player tests positive, then not only is he supposed to quarantine for 14 days, the rest of the team and coaching staff are required to quarantine as well. AND...if the team played a game or games within the previous 7 days, the players and coaches from those teams should all quarantine for 14 days as well. How do you suggest we deal with scheduling madness that will absolutely happen?

Now yes, kids and coaches can return to play earlier BUT, the MDH recommends that any individual have two consecutive negative tests before returning to participation. Not only are these test not cheap -- I've already had three of them and they average about $100 per test -- but more importantly, it's not that easy to get one in some places, not to mention the turnaround time can be 4-5 days per test. That means potentially up to 10 days to get the results of two tests.

2.) So, all of Div. II/III football/fall sports, along with two of the Power 5 conferences have chosen to either cancel or postpone their seasons. The main reasons being given are the determinations of their medical committees that there is a definite concern about the virus causing myocarditis in numerous players, along with the fact that not all of the schools in the Pac-12 and Big10 could guaranty the type of testing and proper turnaround time required to truly limit unnecessary spread in their programs. Not to mention that some of these schools only have so many tests for both their athletes and general student population and understand that they could be creating a significant legal jeopardy if they prioritize athletes over other non-athletes. Also, despite the attempts to have players sign waivers to participate, those waivers often don't hold up in court which potentially creates even more legal jeopardy for these schools. Regarding the myocarditis, here's a link to an article that addresses that situation;

https://www.si.com/

Question... if the science is showing that individuals that get Covid are at risk to acquire this very serious condition (as well as possible long-term lung issues) AND, due to this risk as well as the attending potential legal issues, two of the Power 5 football conferences have chosen to postpone their seasons resulting in potential financial losses to their programs of $75-$100 million dollars.... how do you assess those significant health concerns and the fact that by playing a normal season you will certainly increase the risk of spread, along with (to put it bluntly) the incredibly horrible PR issues if a kid becomes significantly ill or, God forbid dies, and it's deemed very probable that the player was infected during a MH game or tournament? Considering these risks, please explain in detail how you can justify allowing youth or high school hockey to be played in a "normal" fashion? Please be specific in your justifications.

Next, a study was just released by a group researchers from the University of Florida that clearly proves there is aerosolized spread of the virus. Meaning, extremely small but infectious droplets can actually hang in the air and float around a room after just a few minutes of being occupied by an infected person. Thus, in those situations, the 6 ft. social distancing guideline isn't going to protect you.

Question.... During the 90-120 minutes of game time, how much actively infectious viral particles are being put into the air immediately above the ice surface by players who may be infectious as they skate up and down the rink? Especially when breathing as hard as they are. What about on the players bench when all 12-15 of them are there? The kids can't wear masks and nor can the officials, so....you're going to have risk of significant spread, especially if there are 3 or 4 or more players playing that are infected between the two teams. What's your response to that situation? Here is the link to an article about the Florida study... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/heal ... doors.html

Speaking of officials, we already have issues on bigger game count weekends of properly filling games with officials. Also, since a number of youth and high school officials are either overweight, over 50 years old, and/or have comorbidities, there will be a significant number of those people that opt out of officiating this year. Which will create even greater challenges getting games covered. And, if we happen to have an official that gets really ill or again, passes away and it's evident he likely caught it at a game, it will likely cause many officials to stay away from the rink. Anyways, I look forward to the responses of the various posters who think it's no big deal to put these kids at risk.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

goaliedad31 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:19 am
All the private organizations, YHH, Blizzard, Blades etc. can set up their own league. The MSHSL can not stop that. And it will happen. Because it is already happening. And quite frankly, I haven't seen major outbreaks because of it.
100% correct
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

I'd like to see HS hockey this year postponed or not and with whatever restrictions the MSHSL and individual conferences require. I'll happily watch the online stream if that's my only option.

A big difference between hockey and other sports are facilities. Rinks don't make money. Operating at near maximum capacity is the only way many rinks can come close to breaking even. Moving the HS season would be a very difficult pill to swallow for a lot of rinks.

I'd vote for having the season with restrictions, but the only way that will happen is if all of us supporters suck it up and accept the restrictions without complaint. Wear your masks. Watch the stream. Shut your yap about it and be happy with what you get.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 am
goaliedad31 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:19 am
All the private organizations, YHH, Blizzard, Blades etc. can set up their own league. The MSHSL can not stop that. And it will happen. Because it is already happening. And quite frankly, I haven't seen major outbreaks because of it.
100% correct
That's not entirely true, there was a decent size outbreak at YHH's Big One played up in ND. It wasn't pandemic level but there were a fair amount of families affected by it.
USA218

Post by USA218 »

This is so ridiculous people, look at the facts!! This "pandemic" is on par with the regular seasonal flu, and in kids is totally benign for the majority of all cases! The rate of death and hospitalizations in the US among kids is LESS than it is for a bad flu season. Last data I saw, 45 kids WITH (not because of) Coronavirus have died.....out of a age group population of more than 65 million. At the same time, the rates of child abuse, suicides, depression, overdoses, etc... among this age group is increasing exponentially. Kids are becoming scared and traumatized due to the misinformation that is continually being spread by the media and those that like to look at select studies that support their narrative.
Facts are facts, and the facts support stop messing with these poor kids brains and let them get back to their normal lives. I am willing to bet that a good percentage of these kids have already contracted the virus (and probably spread it to many other kids), but since signs and symptoms are not prevalent in this age group they were never tested. Why force a test just to bring up a + rate when there are no signs and symptoms. You don't do it for the flu, why do it for this virus? Those that want everyone tested (who don't have symptoms) are those that want to continue to scare the general population to continue their narrative. It just doesn't make logical or financial sense!
Messing with young minds and scaring them with false information and pretending this virus is so deadly and dangerous in this population is doing way more harm than good!
In ND, everything will be run as normal and I am thankful I haven't moved back to EGF yet. At least my kids will live as close to a normal life as possible through this BS.
If MNSHL doesn't have a season or has a truncated season (less than 16-18 games with no state tournament), my opinion is MN HS Hockey will never be the same. It is going to look much like MI, IL, MA, etc... where the top players will be in another T1 league or the like (face it, there are a ton of people wanting a piece of this financial pie) and HS hockey will be JV like hockey from here on out. I know several high-potential MN kids have many alternatives they are currently looking at.
What if HSEL became the winter hockey of the future in MN....thats where things are heading if people don't start looking at the facts and don't stop making premature decisions. When does MNSHL plan on deciding this? Next week? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? Why not make a decision 1-2 weeks before the season with the most up-to-date information with other options on the table in case a full season isn't possible?
This whole thing, for 99.6% of the population has been blown out of proportion from the start, and IMO, its 99.6% political.
Do what is best for the kids! And, the data supports letting the kids go forward with their normal lives!
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

If you want to have a season, don't argue like the guy above me. "It's just the flu!" is not going to convince the MSHSL of anything. Recognize the potential danger, be willing to accept whatever restrictions the MSHSL recommends, and suck it up. Announcing in advance that you're going to go on with "life as normal" is exactly why the MSHSL is nervous. The argument above mine is counterproductive.
USA218

Post by USA218 »

Facts!
USA218

Post by USA218 »

The Exiled One wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:45 am If you want to have a season, don't argue like the guy above me. "It's just the flu!" is not going to convince the MSHSL of anything. Recognize the potential danger, be willing to accept whatever restrictions the MSHSL recommends, and suck it up. Announcing in advance that you're going to go on with "life as normal" is exactly why the MSHSL is nervous. The argument above mine is counterproductive.
#1. I don't have to accept anything the MSHSL decides as I don't live in MN at this time (maybe I shouldn't be on this board either)
2. Life as normal for the kids (maybe a new normal?), never did I say anything about fans in the stands, ways to mitigate transmission, etc... I agree, that should be done.
3. Its not "just the flu", however, facts truly support it is no worse than a bad flu! And, kids are not susceptible like an obese, asthmatic, diabetic adult! If kids have underlying issues, that's a one-off discussion for that kid made in consultation with their health care provider. What's good for one, isn't good for all!
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

The Exiled One wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:45 am If you want to have a season, don't argue like the guy above me. "It's just the flu!" is not going to convince the MSHSL of anything. Recognize the potential danger, be willing to accept whatever restrictions the MSHSL recommends, and suck it up. Announcing in advance that you're going to go on with "life as normal" is exactly why the MSHSL is nervous. The argument above mine is counterproductive.
Arguing about COVID-19 on this message board is futile, we all know this is a polarizing topic and you can find data, a study or an opinion (from someone who's presumably qualified to have an opinion) to support whatever point of view that you want to believe in either direction. We should instead focus on the most logical thing that we can individually do for our families during a pandemic and that's heading out and purchasing as much toilet paper as we can possibly get our hands on! :P
USA218

Post by USA218 »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:51 am
Arguing about COVID-19 on this message board is futile, we all know this is a polarizing topic and you can find data, a study or an opinion (from someone who's presumably qualified to have an opinion) to support whatever point of view that you want to believe in either direction. We should instead focus on the most logical thing that we can individually do for our families during a pandemic and that's heading out and purchasing as much toilet paper as we can possibly get our hands on! :P
InThePipes....well played! =D>
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

jg2112 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:46 pm The High School League will make community spread more likely if it restricts or cancels winter HS hockey (and basketball) and for that reason alone, it makes more sense to run the season as normal, with restrictions on attendance if needed. The players are safer if they remain with their teams.
This could go down as one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on this forum since I've joined many, many years ago.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

All research is not the same! You know that right? What is published by Mayo and scientific reports in the US have much more reliability than those published elsewhere. Then there are MDs out to make a name for themselves and make research to get there name out there. Then a tier down from there are your newspapers and tv news. Think about it!

Then there is research that has flaws in the research structure and how it is carried out. Keep this in mind also.

Look through the references list at the bottom that will also help in recognizing flawed research.

Somethings to think about. Not all research is the same.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

This is a pandemic! Please look up what a pendemic is before posting on it being just the flu! The word is not used lightly and is serious.

Again if you want to play hockey that’s fine but have your own school for each league and let them infect each h other and keep my kid safe!

Have you guys thought about how the MLB and other sports with their multimillion dollar machine can’t keep there players safe. You think they would give in to no fans in yhe stands if they thought there was anyway they could get fans in the stands safely. You think the NFL would give up the multi billion dollar machine if preseason football if they could find a way to safely get fans in the stands. How about college football, another money machine giving up on a season .

The MSHSL will do what’s best for the kids. From there the HSEL or what ever they are called leagues will take your money if you want them to. Sure they will have a season the will make their money and the buyer better beware, the hockey player. You might just pay for a season that gets you and your loved ones very sick. You might pay to play a season and end up missing most of the season when they have to cancel because of regulations. You might pay and pin your hopes on big things and end up with nothing but a bunch of money gone. These leagues will certainly not give you refunds or medical help if you do get sick. And they won’t give a. If you do! They got there money!

Hockey players beware!