Mask recommendations for high school hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Mask recommendations for high school hockey

Post by j4241 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Has anyone studied available options for masks to wear during practice and game play? I’d be curious to hear if anyone has and has recommendations based on fit, comfort, moisture/sweat wicking, breathe-ability, etc.

bardown27

Re: Mask recommendations for high school hockey

Post by bardown27 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:16 pm

I've heard these are approved

https://www.purehockey.com/product/ccm- ... j0QAvD_BwE

from the looks of them, I'd venture to guess they're going to be the best option.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Hill Murray HMBH tweet yesterday said boys will have option of that or a gaiter.

I dont know if the full CCM or Bauer clear plastic faceshield , instead of cage with mask ,would be sufficiently legal or not. And even if it was would the boys like it and wear it?

Some of the Eastern Hockey Conferences have required masks in all play so far. Must be some input someone could get from that source.

Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:03 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:16 pm
I've heard these are approved

https://www.purehockey.com/product/ccm- ... j0QAvD_BwE

from the looks of them, I'd venture to guess they're going to be the best option.
Correct, the CCM mask is approved. Locally, Scheels and Play It Again Sports have them. Not sure of any other sporting goods outlets.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:37 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:09 pm
Hill Murray HMBH tweet yesterday said boys will have option of that or a gaiter.

I dont know if the full CCM or Bauer clear plastic faceshield , instead of cage with mask ,would be sufficiently legal or not. And even if it was would the boys like it and wear it?

Some of the Eastern Hockey Conferences have required masks in all play so far. Must be some input someone could get from that source.
The add-on plastic shield to cover your mouth is not approved. The velcro CCM model is approved...they look doable...until you are looking down the brow of your nose trying to find the puck in your feet and get lit up.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Meh....
I have to use one at the gym, I use a surgical mask. I do 5K on the treadmill at 150-170 heartbeats per minute. It’s sucks initially but you get used to it. I do need more water but that is the only noticeable difference after adapting to them.

The coaches need to to do conditioning with masks.....not gaiters or bandannas....on day one.

Masks are going to be required going forward in many places and occupations for months if not years to come. A big teachable moment here.

Docs_88

Post by Docs_88 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:48 pm

So I just saw that MN Hockey approved the Bauer Concept 3 Shield with the splash guard. Does this mean that it would be approved under the MSHSL rules as well?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:13 pm

Docs_88 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:48 pm
So I just saw that MN Hockey approved the Bauer Concept 3 Shield with the splash guard. Does this mean that it would be approved under the MSHSL rules as well?
Minnesota Hockey's release says they got squared away with MDH. Safe to assume MSHSL can ask for same treatment.

I can't speculate if they will or should.

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... s.facebook
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:30 am

I took a Twitter survey after the first day

Not too big a number responded so far , but here it is for whatever is worth .

Gaiter 19%
CCM insert 29%
Paper mask. 33%
Bauer shield 19%

4 other people said “none of the above”

Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:27 pm

My son started tryouts with the CCM mask. He said it was way too hard to breathe and annoying when you looked down. He switched to a generic paper blue mask halfway through and said that was much better.

He also said they did conditioning at the end for 10 minutes and kids were practically passing out because they couldn't breathe. Could be slightly dramatized from a teenager perspective though :lol:
----------------------------
Dave's a mess

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:36 pm

Heard from a couple HS people whose kids actually puked .

Would be interested whoever has Hockey East contacts or other leagues where the guys have been wearing masks for a couple months already

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:51 pm

My kid also shared reports of kids puking, so that seems like it's probably legit. I'm sure some of it can be chalked up to skating hard after a long break, but who knows how much of it is that versus masks.

He said all the mask options were bad, particularly because they get sopping wet. He's currently going with a polyester behind the ear mask. He said the gaiters are more breathable but tend to fall down as you twist your head. The paper masks get saturated the worst and some kids had to go through two or three in a single practice. The CCM ones attached to the helmets aren't very breathable and obstruct vision.

We bought some Bauer Splashguards in case the MSHSL follows Minnesota Hockey's lead. I've heard those cause massive fogging issues, but we'll see.

There are no good options. Playing with masks is rough. Not playing at all is even rougher.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm

I’m hearing what happens is a kid is already worn down, and then looks up and down and sideways and tries to get his peripheral vision oriented to look around the mask insert, then gets dizzy and pukes. Maybe will get better with time

I had one private Twitter reply that said the best alternative is:
“Buy oversized skin colored gaiter, Let it slip down off nose and mouth, hope no one notices 🤣

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm
I’m hearing what happens is a kid is already worn down, and then looks up and down and sideways and tries to get his peripheral vision oriented to look around the mask insert, then gets dizzy and pukes. Maybe will get better with time

“Buy oversized skin colored gaiter, Let it slip down off nose and mouth, hope no one notices 🤣
I will say, as worthless or difficult as masks may be, I'd be pissed if some kids were able to get away with playing without wearing their masks properly while all the other kids are suffering through their properly worn masks. It'd be a distinct advantage. It's cheating.

As long as all the kids are wearing masks as intended it harms their games equally. If refs and coaches look the other way, they're condoning cheating. Please don't be that player, parent, coach, or ref. Get the least restrictive mask that the rules allow, but please play by the rules.

The Next One

Post by The Next One » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:26 pm

I put one hour in on the treadmill today with a mask on. If my fat, out of shape ass can do it I would sure think a teenage hockey player could make it through a game just fine. This is going to be fully on coaches, players, and AD’s. If they want a season bad enough they should be able to figure it out. I don’t think the officials will be involved with policing masks.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 pm

The Next One wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:26 pm
I put one hour in on the treadmill today with a mask on. If my fat, out of shape ass can do it I would sure think a teenage hockey player could make it through a game just fine. This is going to be fully on coaches, players, and AD’s. If they want a season bad enough they should be able to figure it out. I don’t think the officials will be involved with policing masks.
I skated on my backyard rink last night, trying both a KN95 and a surgical mask on with my two players to see how it worked. Not great for me, especially with the KN95 as that's a "thicker" level of protection. But, even the surgical mask was a challenge. My kids were ok with the surgical masks but, we obviously weren't playing at a normal game pace.

From what I've been told, the college players generally don't like playing with them. I too am concerned about the reduction in safety from a vision reduction/fogging of the bubble standpoint. Also, the officials are required to wear half-shields and I'm wondering if the officials will have trouble with fogging since they're required to wear the mask/gator during play as well. In college, the officials are only required to pull their gators up if they're dropping the puck or, between face-offs when near the players or benches. They can have them down during play. And, if they're following the "letter of the law", for high school and youth, they're technically not allowed to bring them down to blow their whistles. :shock:

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Rumor has it the referees for HS games will follow the NCAA protocol, which means they will wear a gaiter. They can pull it down below their chin during play, then pull it above their mouth/nose during stoppages. If this is true, I'm not sure players will appreciate having to wear a mask during play while the refs don't have to.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm
editorial by an md in strib below

https://www.startribune.com/covid-masks ... 600007113/
The writer makes a compelling case.

mrchips

Post by mrchips » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:32 am

looks like spectators are back in play. 25% capacity up to 150 for indoors starting Monday.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... re-changes

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:51 pm

New strib article on mask developments

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-leg ... lmob=y&c=n

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:14 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm

I will say, as worthless or difficult as masks may be, I'd be pissed if some kids were able to get away with playing without wearing their masks properly while all the other kids are suffering through their properly worn masks. It'd be a distinct advantage. It's cheating.

As long as all the kids are wearing masks as intended it harms their games equally. If refs and coaches look the other way, they're condoning cheating. Please don't be that player, parent, coach, or ref. Get the least restrictive mask that the rules allow, but please play by the rules.
Really? You're worried about cheating! WHAT do you think the coaches that recruit have been doing for years?

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 pm

Kids puking during conditioning......shocker!
That has happened every year for decades, this year the problem is kids haven’t skated for a month and a half, not the masks. Kids will get used to them, they should have been doing off ice conditioning with them the last month and a half.

In my day we puked all season......Now get off my lawn!

As for officials, you can’t blow a whistle and wear a mask. This was an issue during football and it took about two weeks to do away with electronic whistles anywhere there was a crowd......and that was outdoors. I guess you could try having the officials yell stop 🙄

I get all the memos from the MSHSL, it is not the officials responsibility to enforce mask rules as they are not in the NFHS or MSHSL rule book. We didn’t enforce Walz’s rules in football, they won’t in hockey either. My best guess is the mask mandate for those on the ice or court will disappear in a week or two. Safety is the biggest issue, the rules do not address what happens if, say, a goalie gets bumped and has his mask go over his eyes, let alone a kid isn’t wearing a mask. Of the 8 varsity football games I had, none were strictly in line with Walz’s executive orders. AG Elison can enforce those rules, not me. Not in my area of expertise or under the rules I was tasked with enforcing.

Some kids will wear masks properly others will wear them under their noses, some will wear them under their chin. (Just like in Society now). No rule covers this and what to do about it.

Just pointing those flaws out.

Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:25 pm

https://alphanewsmn.com/youth-hockey-di ... k-mandate/

Criminal, I hope they are able to find all of the replacement coaches they're going to need. Is high school hockey likely to follow suit?
----------------------------
Dave's a mess

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:32 pm

Redarmy19 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:25 pm
https://alphanewsmn.com/youth-hockey-di ... k-mandate/

Criminal, I hope they are able to find all of the replacement coaches they're going to need. Is high school hockey likely to follow suit?
Amazing the quality (or lack thereof) of reporting.