No Love For the Suburban East ?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

brookyone

No Love For the Suburban East ?

Post by brookyone » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:18 am

Just thought I'd open this up for discussion in case there are some opinions on what we'll see in this conference in 2005-06. Last season it was Stillwater & Roseville right down to the final / deciding game for the conference title...in what was one of the best games I watched in regular season play. The earlier meeting was also an excellent game. In both games it appeared to me they were two very evenly matched teams. Roseville is always a very good team it seems and I guess I expect these two to battle again for the conference title. Stillwater has their work cut out for them in following up on last seasons success. I thought they benefited from some good fortune at times last season during the 17(?) game unbeaten stretch but played well throughout. Nice contributions from some youngsters / underclassmen (Dahl, Sobzak, King) to name a few. If the young players continue to improve I think the Ponies will be very competitive. <br><br>I also saw teams like Hastings, Woodbury, Park & WBL give Stillwater fits at times in their meetings. I have a feeling very few games will be cakewalks for anyone in this conference. <br><br>Suburban East Cretin-Derham Hall <br>Suburban East Forest Lake<br>Suburban East Hastings<br>Suburban East Mounds View<br>Suburban East Park<br>Suburban East Roseville<br>Suburban East Stillwater<br>Suburban East White Bear Lake<br>Suburban East Woodbury<br><br>...don't mean to overlook CDH (I didn't think the move was this season...guess it is), and it would be foolish to do so. I don't see many ranking them very highly, still, they might be the most likely team to steal points from both Roseville and Stillwater.<br><br><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:xx-small;">P.S. This pony fan is very curious about 2005-06 line combo's</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Re: No Love For the Suburban East ?

Post by ghshockeyfan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:51 am

I HATE to even think about ranking this conf. It's going to be very tough top to bottom.<br><br>Hastings is going to be amazing the next few years I believe. Stillwater and Roseville are always strong. Park is reloading, but look at all the kids they have in the youth that are moving up!!! Woodbury has an amazing young goaltender and will be improving. Mounds View is never given enough credit. I don't know as much about WBL unfortunately. FL has a couple nice younger Goaltenders. CDH is reloading, and they will be stronger than many think I think even after the los of all those kids to graduation the last two years.<br><br>I'd say every game will be a battle. <p></p><i></i>

hockeywild711

Re: Suburban East Conference

Post by hockeywild711 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:41 pm

I think Stillwater and Roseville are the clear favorites. Roseville returns everyone and Stillwater only lost two players. From what I see, most of the other teams except maybe Hastings and WBL, lost all their main scoring threats. Hastings might be a contender in a few years but I saw them play Stillwater late in the season and Stillwater dominated the game. I think there may be a few upsets but in the end these two teams should rise to the top and possibly contend for section and state titles. <p></p><i></i>

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:50 pm

The one concern I have regarding Stillwater is replacing Leopold. The Ponies did a fine job for the most part last season containing other teams big guns and I thought Leopold was instrumental in that success. Any heads up on who is likely to take that role & fill Leo's skates? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p074.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ookyone</A> at: 9/20/05 2:52 pm<br></i>

The machine took my quart

Post by The machine took my quart » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:54 pm

Brooky and GHS I agree with both<br><br>This is a great conference and probably one of the top for sure. All teams are good! I give Roseville the nod, but the Still has not run dry after Leopold or even Jones in the future. This conference looks to be set for years to come as one of the favorites. Too bad EP and Wayzata aren't in it for some more fireworks! Forget about AHA and BSM I am talking about HS girls teams. J/K <p></p><i></i>

hubbaa

toughest...

Post by hubbaa » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:33 am

this years toughest conference in my opinion. Roseville's year to shine... <p></p><i></i>

brookyone

Re: toughest...

Post by brookyone » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:15 pm

Not intending to upset those who abhor frequent focus on the top offensive players in any way <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>but</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, are there thoughts on Suburban East anticipated scoring leaders out there? My pre season "guess" would be for #14 Pony to end up at the top of the heap again. I'd expect good points production from Erin Cody as well...possibly her best season yet with her teams added experience / seasoning. I'm sure there are quite a few others I'm less familiar with. I look for an increase from Callie Dahl also. Who are some more players to watch. I'd like to hear about the up & coming underclassmen too. Of course, comments on top D & netminders is always welcome. <p></p><i></i>

hockeywild711

SE Leaders

Post by hockeywild711 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:57 am

I would have to put Toupal from WBL, keyes from CDH and also Zilles from Stillwater. <p></p><i></i>

wildhockeyfan

Re: SE Leaders

Post by wildhockeyfan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:32 pm

Danielle Welch from Hastings should be near the top of the scoring leaders. <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Re: SE Leaders

Post by ghshockeyfan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:17 pm

Agreed on Welch 100%.<br><br>Toupal is great too.<br><br>I expect good things from Keys again as well.<br><br>I don't know Ziles that well, but have always heard good things. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p074.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 9/28/05 11:18 pm<br></i>