Who wins? Elk River/Zimmerman vs Moorhead - Section 8AA Championship

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Elk River
24%
Moorhead
76%

Total votes: 34

elliott70

Who wins? Elk River/Zimmerman vs Moorhead - Section 8AA Championship

Post by elliott70 »

Who wins?
Sparlimb

Re: Who wins? Elk River/Zimmerman vs Moorhead - Section 8AA Championship

Post by Sparlimb »

Elliot, I know it was you who picked Elk River. Not going to happen...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sparlimb wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:37 am Elliot, I know it was you who picked Elk River. Not going to happen...
I PICKED SARTELL.
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

Moorhead is a buzzsaw. ER benefitted from shakey goaltending in both close section wins. Don’t think that will happen against the Spuds
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides »

Goose21 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 pm Moorhead is a buzzsaw. ER benefitted from shakey goaltending in both close section wins. Don’t think that will happen against the Spuds
Why not? Nobody was saying before the Roseau game that their goalie was “shakey”. It always amazes me the excuses people come up with when a so called favorite gets beat by a team nobody thought had a chance to win. Give ER credit they beat Roseau with a total team effort. If ER beats Moorhead on Wednesday night (which can happen very easily) I look forward to more excuses from 218. Seems like that’s happening very regularly these days!
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

Delayedoffsides wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:35 pm
Goose21 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 pm Moorhead is a buzzsaw. ER benefitted from shakey goaltending in both close section wins. Don’t think that will happen against the Spuds
Why not? Nobody was saying before the Roseau game that their goalie was “shakey”. It always amazes me the excuses people come up with when a so called favorite gets beat by a team nobody thought had a chance to win. Give ER credit they beat Roseau with a total team effort. If ER beats Moorhead on Wednesday night (which can happen very easily) I look forward to more excuses from 218. Seems like that’s happening very regularly these days!
Roseau has had a tendency to let in some soft goals over the season. So not a new development. And goalies are just like everyone else, they have off nights, bad games, feel the play off pressure. In an upset, something usually goes right for the underdog, wrong for the favorite, or a combination. If everything went the way it was supposed to it wouldn’t be an upset. It could be any number of factors. One team is off, the other is on, puck luck, a goalie stands on his head, the favorite looking ahead, injuries, etc.

It is just analysis of one aspect of the game, nothing more. Didn’t care who won, so no need to be so sensitive or make conjectures.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Goose21 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:05 pm
Roseau has had a tendency to let in some soft goals over the season. So not a new development. And goalies are just like everyone else, they have off nights, bad games, feel the play off pressure. In an upset, something usually goes right for the underdog, wrong for the favorite, or a combination. If everything went the way it was supposed to it wouldn’t be an upset. It could be any number of factors. One team is off, the other is on, puck luck, a goalie stands on his head, the favorite looking ahead, injuries, etc.

It is just analysis of one aspect of the game, nothing more. Didn’t care who won, so no need to be so sensitive or make conjectures.
Roseau's starting goalie did not play against Elk River, is that right?
Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:26 pm

I have no idea. I have no horse in this race. I just don’t like blaming one aspect of a team when a team loses (not saying you are). The earlier comment of a “shakey” goalie (not by you) bothers me. Looking at their roster the goalie they played did not play the most minutes for their season. Also saw they had 3 players who had a total of 196 points that only had 1 assist by each, for a total of 3 points. I’d say that had as much if not more to do with the loss than how the goalie played. The teams big time offensive players had an off game. Maybe just maybe that had to do with how ER played. I don’t see many giving ER any credit for the win and how they played a great team game. That’s all I’m saying. I’m just giving credit where credit is due.
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Delayedoffsides wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:24 pm
elliott70 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:26 pm

I have no idea. I have no horse in this race. I just don’t like blaming one aspect of a team when a team loses (not saying you are). The earlier comment of a “shakey” goalie (not by you) bothers me. Looking at their roster the goalie they played did not play the most minutes for their season. Also saw they had 3 players who had a total of 196 points that only had 1 assist by each, for a total of 3 points. I’d say that had as much if not more to do with the loss than how the goalie played. The teams big time offensive players had an off game. Maybe just maybe that had to do with how ER played. I don’t see many giving ER any credit for the win and how they played a great team game. That’s all I’m saying. I’m just giving credit where credit is due.
Also worth pointing out the Elks were missing a top 4 D that was serving a game for a fighting penalty against Bemidji. Then they lost another top 4 D during the second period in Roseau when his leg was broken. They still managed to get the win despite missing those two players. Yea, I think the Elks deserve some credit.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

No, not arguing about Elks deserving it at all.
I had just heard that the regular goalie did not play and trying to confirm it and wondering why?

You win or lose with the players you have- it usually hurts a team sometime during the year.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

So no possibility that a good goalie stole a game? You have one goalie solid as a rock and one that lets in some soft ones and that can't effect the outcome of the game? Were you at the game and saw how it played out?
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Can anyone shed light on WHY Christianson didn't play...?
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Stockman could absolutely steal this one for Elk River, he's very good. Rumor has it he is hanging it up after this season to concentrate on baseball as he is a stud pitching prospect with multiple D1 offers already.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

thefatcat wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am Stockman could absolutely steal this one for Elk River, he's very good. Rumor has it he is hanging it up after this season to concentrate on baseball as he is a stud pitching prospect with multiple D1 offers already.
Not sure where you get your information, but Division 1 coaches cannot contact athletes before September 1 of their junior year, he is a sophmore. Yes he is a stud baseball player and will likely play D1 Baseball, but can't already have multiple offers and isn't hanging it up after this season.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

MWS coach wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:47 am
thefatcat wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am Stockman could absolutely steal this one for Elk River, he's very good. Rumor has it he is hanging it up after this season to concentrate on baseball as he is a stud pitching prospect with multiple D1 offers already.
Not sure where you get your information, but Division 1 coaches cannot contact athletes before September 1 of their junior year, he is a sophmore. Yes he is a stud baseball player and will likely play D1 Baseball, but can't already have multiple offers and isn't hanging it up after this season.
He can, because the rules you stated are for hockey, not baseball.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

bardown27 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:53 am
According to the interweb:
When can college baseball coaches contact recruits?
One of the most frequent questions we get is, “When can college baseball coaches talk to me?” The answer is that it depends on the division level. Division 1 coaches cannot contact athletes before September 1 of their junior year. Phone calls, texts and emails from Division 2 coaches can begin June 15 after the athlete’s sophomore year. There are no restrictions regarding phone calls from coaches at the Division 3, NAIA and NJCAA levels, but typically they wait until an athlete’s junior year. Learn more about AAU baseball and college baseball recruiting.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

MWS coach wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:57 am
One of the most frequent questions we get is, “When can college baseball coaches talk to me?” The answer is that it depends on the division level. Division 1 coaches cannot contact athletes before September 1 of their junior year. Phone calls, texts and emails from Division 2 coaches can begin June 15 after the athlete’s sophomore year. There are no restrictions regarding phone calls from coaches at the Division 3, NAIA and NJCAA levels, but typically they wait until an athlete’s junior year. Learn more about AAU baseball and college baseball recruiting.
Keep reading that same article....

"While the NCAA baseball recruiting rules and calendar dictate when and how athletes can be contacted by college coaches, recruits still get offers as underclassmen. In a recent NCAA study, 46% of DI prospects reported having their first recruiting contact with a DI coach before their junior year. If the NCAA recruiting rules prohibit a college coach from contacting a recruit before their junior year, how can coaches extend an offer before then? In these cases, a college coach will most likely have worked with a recruit’s travel or high school coach. Because athletes can contact a college coach any time, the athlete’s current coach will set up a time for the athlete to call the college coach."
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

bardown27 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:06 pm
MWS coach wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:57 am

Keep reading that same article....

"While the NCAA baseball recruiting rules and calendar dictate when and how athletes can be contacted by college coaches, recruits still get offers as underclassmen. In a recent NCAA study, 46% of DI prospects reported having their first recruiting contact with a DI coach before their junior year. If the NCAA recruiting rules prohibit a college coach from contacting a recruit before their junior year, how can coaches extend an offer before then? In these cases, a college coach will most likely have worked with a recruit’s travel or high school coach. Because athletes can contact a college coach any time, the athlete’s current coach will set up a time for the athlete to call the college coach."
Shows I know nothing about baseball.... :D
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Total speculation on my part, but both Roseau goalies have played as of late and the coaching staff must have went with a gut feeling on who they felt gave Roseau the best chance to win. Both have had moments this year of good and not good. I think they hoped to catch lightning in a bottle and go with the gut since neither lately really stepped up to be that guy. Again, just speculation on my part.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Not much of a boat race after 1 period.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Sheesh, 5-4 Moorhead with a minute left in the 2nd. I can't tell if this is good offense or bad goaltending
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Not great goaltending but Elks are blowing in when they get the puck. Easily could be tied after 2.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Oof. Four goals is a lot to give up in a section final.
Hockey Is For Everyone
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:56 pm Oof. Four goals is a lot to give up in a section final.
Eight goals is twice as bad. :lol:

8-4 final
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:56 pm Oof. Four goals is a lot to give up in a section final.
May the chirping continue in St. Paul. Looks like the Spuds unceremoniously crashed your all metro state event :P