2022 - 23 Coaching Changes

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BP

2022 - 23 Coaching Changes

Post by BP » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:24 am

Now that State is over - time for the coaching changes. Feel free to add a message when you hear of something opening:

1) Eden Prairie - Mike Terwilliger
2) Southwest Christian/Richfield - Paul Ranheim
3) St. Louis Park - Tyler Broderson
4) St. Thomas Academy - Mike Randolph
5) Breck - Dave Maley
6) Jefferson - Matt Elsen
7) Orono - Sean Fish
8 ) Northern Lakes - Erik Vetsch
9) Princeton - Andy Fondrink
10) St. Michael-Albertville - Jake Hindermann
11) Blaine - Trevor Frischmon
12) Northern Edge -
13) Hopkins -
14) Mound-Westonka -
15) Duluth Marshall - Shawn Bartlette
16) Two Rivers - Brandon Ferraro
17) St. Paul Highland Park - Paul Ryan
Last edited by BP on Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:40 am, edited 26 times in total.

thefatcat

Re: 2022 - 23 Coaching Changes

Post by thefatcat » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:46 am

Can confirm from a parent who is on the EP search committee that Mike Randolph did express interest in the EP position...that's all the person could tell me.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:46 am
Can confirm from a parent who is on the EP search committee that Mike Randolph did express interest in the EP position...that's all the person could tell me.
Interesting. Being Randolph is 70 years old, you have to wonder how many years he's got left in the tank to coach, and if EP is looking to have a more long-term solution in place?
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:15 pm

ryguyMN wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Interesting. Being Randolph is 70 years old, you have to wonder how many years he's got left in the tank to coach, and if EP is looking to have a more long-term solution in place?
70 is not that old.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:26 pm

ryguyMN wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
He strikes me as one of those people who would pass away prematurely if they just sat around the house all day as a retiree. My guess is that he'd like to be behind the bench for another 5 years.

raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:15 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:26 pm
ryguyMN wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
He strikes me as one of those people who would pass away prematurely if they just sat around the house all day as a retiree. My guess is that he'd like to be behind the bench for another 5 years.
Yup like Sid Hartman. If the Strib had made him retire Sid would've died from a broken heart.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:29 am

ryguyMN wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
Randolph has not been contacted by anyone at EP.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:13 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:29 am
ryguyMN wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
Randolph has not been contacted by anyone at EP.
I never said that anyone at EP contacted him :)

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:20 pm

What happen in SLP? I thought this was year 1 for the new coach. They have a few nice groups coming from there youth.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:10 pm

thefatcat wrote:
ryguyMN wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
Some people think retirement from paid employment = sitting around the house all day. And, sadly, that maybe true for some people. The rest of us continue to learn and grow.

You don't stop having fun because you grow old, you grow old because you stop having fun.
Hockey Is For Everyone

BP

Post by BP » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:12 am

Gotothenetman wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:20 pm
What happen in SLP? I thought this was year 1 for the new coach. They have a few nice groups coming from there youth.

Resigned midway through the season.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:34 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:10 pm
thefatcat wrote:
ryguyMN wrote:

Some people think retirement from paid employment = sitting around the house all day. And, sadly, that maybe true for some people. The rest of us continue to learn and grow.

You don't stop having fun because you grow old, you grow old because you stop having fun.
"Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. I'll be right back! Don't you go dying on me!"

~Dumb & Dumber
:)

Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:38 pm

"Blue was old. That's what old people do, they die."
-Old School

BP

Post by BP » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:14 pm

St. Thomas Academy is now open.......

BP

Post by BP » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:35 pm

Breck is now open.....

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm

Per YHH on Twitter - Mike Terwilliger will be announced this week as the new Head Coach at EP

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:45 pm

Orono open

ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:27 pm

Well that didn’t take long it’s On Twitter EP Eagles Activities

Twig is officially in at EP

Jefferson??? Bantam AA coach/Breakaway Academy
Or maybe one of the Assistants?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

BP

Post by BP » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:18 pm

Former EP Asst Coach Paul Ranheim announced as the new Head Coach at Southwest Christian.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:31 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:45 pm
Orono open
Very nice Class A Opening for next year. Team only Graduates 1 senior from this year. Returns Star Goaltender who stopped 50 shots a night it seemed and do everything forward Walker for his 4th year of Varsity. Will be a legit Class A Top 10 Team this could be a very nice gig for a young upcoming coach looking to make a splash!

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:03 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm
Per YHH on Twitter - Mike Terwilliger will be announced this week as the new Head Coach at EP
I want to start by saying Class AA is not my best knowledge source but am I off by being underwhelmed by this hire at EP. Everywhere I read the comments are this is a slam dunk hire. Nothing against Mr. Terwilliger I know he is a big shot in MN Hockey and is just really good mentor and a great guy. However, can he coach? His results at Bloomington Jefferson were well underwhelming on the ice. I know he did an outstanding job creating a culture and trying to rebuild a dying traditional program who is far removed now from the 1990's dynasty it once was. Yet their best incoming player last year chose to play at Holy Angels instead of the Jags who ended up being an 8 Seed, while in a very tough 2AA, was a team on the ice seemed to get worse they went 13-11-2 in his first year 2019, 9-17-0 in 2020, 8-10 in 2021 and finally 10-16-0 this past year and they never won a playoff game.

I guess in a new era where big time programs are hiring former NHLer's and teams are firing HS Coaches for going just .500 and not making State I was little surprised by the EP hire but again the Eagles and Jags are in totally different spots and I think Mr. Terwilliger as a man is excellent and will do great things off the ice which is very important. However, his 4 years at Jefferson show his teams didn't do much on the ice and was surprised overall by the hire.

Just one idiots thoughts and I should probably just stick to Class A just some thoughts. SWC I think may have gotten the better hire getting Paul Ranheim the X and O's brain behind the EP Dynasty over the last few years. Again I am assuming I am missing something and am way off just thoughts from a Class A mind.

headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:34 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:03 pm
gopherpuck516 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm
I want to start by saying Class AA is not my best knowledge source but am I off by being underwhelmed by this hire at EP. Everywhere I read the comments are this is a slam dunk hire. Nothing against Mr. Terwilliger I know he is a big shot in MN Hockey and is just really good mentor and a great guy. However, can he coach? His results at Bloomington Jefferson were well underwhelming on the ice. I know he did an outstanding job creating a culture and trying to rebuild a dying traditional program who is far removed now from the 1990's dynasty it once was. Yet their best incoming player last year chose to play at Holy Angels instead of the Jags who ended up being an 8 Seed, while in a very tough 2AA, was a team on the ice seemed to get worse they went 13-11-2 in his first year 2019, 9-17-0 in 2020, 8-10 in 2021 and finally 10-16-0 this past year and they never won a playoff game.

I guess in a new era where big time programs are hiring former NHLer's and teams are firing HS Coaches for going just .500 and not making State I was little surprised by the EP hire but again the Eagles and Jags are in totally different spots and I think Mr. Terwilliger as a man is excellent and will do great things off the ice which is very important. However, his 4 years at Jefferson show his teams didn't do much on the ice and was surprised overall by the hire.

Just one idiots thoughts and I should probably just stick to Class A just some thoughts. SWC I think may have gotten the better hire getting Paul Ranheim the X and O's brain behind the EP Dynasty over the last few years. Again I am assuming I am missing something and am way off just thoughts from a Class A mind.
I too, am not enthusiastic about this hire. I know people in EP that are happy and I know people that were pulling for someone else (myself included). I totally respect getting a guy with some roots/history/ties to the area, but I also feel as if it was a good time to bring in a completely different style/staff. Again, am sure the "board" had a ton of say as to who got the gig next and there could be a ton of other reasons why he was the right choice but I guess we will just have to wait and see...

The STA situation is truly baffling to me other than Eigner possibly just flat out walking due to wanting to just step away from coaching entirely. Does anyone know what happened?

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:49 pm

headsupsticksdown wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:34 pm

I too, am not enthusiastic about this hire. I know people in EP that are happy and I know people that were pulling for someone else (myself included). I totally respect getting a guy with some roots/history/ties to the area, but I also feel as if it was a good time to bring in a completely different style/staff. Again, am sure the "board" had a ton of say as to who got the gig next and there could be a ton of other reasons why he was the right choice but I guess we will just have to wait and see...

The STA situation is truly baffling to me other than Eigner possibly just flat out walking due to wanting to just step away from coaching entirely. Does anyone know what happened?
The STA situation is very confusing I don't think Eigner had any idea he would not be renewed when he had his end of the year evaluation with the STA AD... Which is like the 4th STA AD in the last 3 years... Another topic all together I know... But again judging by his quotes in the MN Hockey Hub article published yesterday he seemed pretty floored by the firing.

Trent Eigner is out as boys' hockey coach at St. Thomas Academy after three seasons.Eigner, perhaps best known for coaching Lakeville North to an undefeated season in 2014-15, said he was surprised to learn his contract wasn't being renewed during a Monday meeting with activities director Reed Hornung.

"I'm still kind of spinning," said Eigner, who has two sons enrolled at the Mendota Heights private school. "They wanted to go in a different direction and didn't feel I was a good fit."

In Eigner's first season, the Cadets lost in overtime of the Class 2A state tournament semifinals. In 2021, St. Thomas Academy fell in the state tournament quarterfinals. The Cadets went 13-13-1 last season, losing in overtime of the Section 3 semifinals.

"It's tough when you lose your top player to injury before the season starts and you don't get him back," Eigner said. "I kind of felt good about the way we developed into a team that could compete."

"I know there are high expectations at St. Thomas Academy. But if they are higher than what we did the past three seasons — that's a tough bar to reach."

The last quote could not be more true STA either has people in power ....Parents.... that shouldn't be or they are unrealistic about where they should be in hockey.

Always felt weird about them taking on Randolph I felt like that was a kiss of death because if they team did falter everyone loves the Assistant (Back Up QB Syndrome) and that fact that Randolph said he would apply ?!?! WHY? he just got run out by crazy parents in Duluth and STA seems toxic if they ran out Eigner for going .500 and not making State 1 season.

All of it seems fishy i am sure there is more to the story and I for one don't need that being discussed on here but on the surface I would think Eigner was pretty surprised by the firing heck his sons still attend STA... What a weird situation.

headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:17 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:49 pm
headsupsticksdown wrote:

The STA situation is very confusing I don't think Eigner had any idea he would not be renewed when he had his end of the year evaluation with the STA AD... Which is like the 4th STA AD in the last 3 years... Another topic all together I know... But again judging by his quotes in the MN Hockey Hub article published yesterday he seemed pretty floored by the firing.

Trent Eigner is out as boys' hockey coach at St. Thomas Academy after three seasons.Eigner, perhaps best known for coaching Lakeville North to an undefeated season in 2014-15, said he was surprised to learn his contract wasn't being renewed during a Monday meeting with activities director Reed Hornung.

"I'm still kind of spinning," said Eigner, who has two sons enrolled at the Mendota Heights private school. "They wanted to go in a different direction and didn't feel I was a good fit."

In Eigner's first season, the Cadets lost in overtime of the Class 2A state tournament semifinals. In 2021, St. Thomas Academy fell in the state tournament quarterfinals. The Cadets went 13-13-1 last season, losing in overtime of the Section 3 semifinals.

"It's tough when you lose your top player to injury before the season starts and you don't get him back," Eigner said. "I kind of felt good about the way we developed into a team that could compete."

"I know there are high expectations at St. Thomas Academy. But if they are higher than what we did the past three seasons — that's a tough bar to reach."

The last quote could not be more true STA either has people in power ....Parents.... that shouldn't be or they are unrealistic about where they should be in hockey.

Always felt weird about them taking on Randolph I felt like that was a kiss of death because if they team did falter everyone loves the Assistant (Back Up QB Syndrome) and that fact that Randolph said he would apply ?!?! WHY? he just got run out by crazy parents in Duluth and STA seems toxic if they ran out Eigner for going .500 and not making State 1 season.

All of it seems fishy i am sure there is more to the story and I for one don't need that being discussed on here but on the surface I would think Eigner was pretty surprised by the firing heck his sons still attend STA... What a weird situation.
Even weirder considering it was Eigner who reached out to Randolph in bringing him to STA after he was ousted at East.... Not a good look for STA in my opinion...

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:50 pm

headsupsticksdown wrote:
Even weirder considering it was Eigner who reached out to Randolph in bringing him to STA after he was ousted at East.... Not a good look for STA in my opinion...
I'm wondering if the "wolves" had issues with Eigner bringing Randolph in after his exit at Duluth East and used this as bait to oust Eigner.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy