2022-23 Early Departures

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Total Hockey

Re: 2022-23 Early Departures

Post by Total Hockey » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:04 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 pm
I've heard dad is a little out there..
Check out his twitter account and likes.... I'd say so....

outdoorsuperstar

Post by outdoorsuperstar » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:43 pm

I don't see anything like this on the dad's Twitter
@johnmargarit

Total Hockey

Post by Total Hockey » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:58 pm

outdoorsuperstar wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:43 pm
I don't see anything like this on the dad's Twitter
@johnmargarit
His dad changed accounts in roughly March.

John the King @ramfanmargie

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:20 pm

Very very strong likelihood that the arguably best unannounced departing player in the state Danny Nelson will spend next season at NTDP U18s

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:21 pm

Is the Chaska dad the one who had a Bantam AA goalie last year and decided to move to juniors in Iowa to get more games, or are we talking about another kid?

I do not have a goalie, but I do understand the need to get more games -- WIth the HS league at 25, and odds are good the top goalie will get no more than 20, it is hard compared to juniors where you can get 2x.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Cookster wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:21 pm
Is the Chaska dad the one who had a Bantam AA goalie last year and decided to move to juniors in Iowa to get more games, or are we talking about another kid?

I do not have a goalie, but I do understand the need to get more games -- WIth the HS league at 25, and odds are good the top goalie will get no more than 20, it is hard compared to juniors where you can get 2x.
Different kid, and I think you’re thinking of the one who went to South Dakota.

While this is true in a sense, it’s also 20-25 games mid-Nov thru mid-Feb. Additional games for a playoff run may add a few. But before and after leagues whether that be a junior league or more likely Elite League, U16, or U18 can bring that number up to a much more comparable roughly 40 games that a goalie would see in Tier 1 out of state.

arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:22 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:09 pm
Cookster wrote:

While this is true in a sense, it’s also 20-25 games mid-Nov thru mid-Feb. Additional games for a playoff run may add a few. But before and after leagues whether that be a junior league or more likely Elite League, U16, or U18 can bring that number up to a much more comparable roughly 40 games that a goalie would see in Tier 1 out of state.
Don't forget many get stuck on an afterthought JV team, often with mismatched competition, before seeing any regular varsity time. Also, landing a spot on a before and after team isn't a sure thing. Making a district team often depends whether you have someone in your corner; most private club teams don't even have posted tryouts and RnB is a place you go to pick up bad habits.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:42 am

Cookster wrote:

I think many/most Tier 1 teams split games for goalies regardless of any talent disparity. Every program is different in the # of games they play as well, some will play 45-50 games, some will play 70+. so you need to know what you're signing up for and playoff success at the end of the year will also partially dictate this number. If you're talking about juniors, I don't know how you can accurately predict what you will get there as there is so much roster shuffling. If as a 16U/18U goalie you can get a guarantee of playing 40 games in a season in any league, that's a solid # IMO.

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:25 am

BP wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:54 am
WestMetro wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:53 pm
About time for Exiled One to dust off and update his files

NTDP early departs this fall

Skahan
Hensler
McMorrow
Plante

Anyone got any other solid early depart announcements?

Last years link attached

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... Departures
'

Obviously - Zam is gone as well.
In an article in this morning's Duluth News Tribune about Zam Plante potentially being drafted this week, Zam says he hasn't decided whether he's returning to Hermantown.

The article is here:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sport ... zam-plante

The operative portion of the article is:

Zam Plante still has another year of high school and at least one more season of hockey to go before he can join his dad and the Bulldogs. Zam has the option in 2022-23 of doing what he did a year ago as a junior — split time between the USHL and high school — or play all of his senior season in juniors in Chicago.

Zam Plante said he’s yet to make a decision about 2022-23. Could the NHL team that potentially drafts him influence that decision?

“I think you listen to what they have to say, but it’s your decision,” Zam Plante said. “I've got to make a decision for myself.”

I think most would expect--as BP asserts--that Zam won't return. Afterall, Max is leaving for the NTDP. But if you take Zam at his word--and if he's quoted correctly--it appears he hasn't yet made a final decision, or isn't ready to announce it.

Odds he plays for the Hawks? Less than 10%?

So you're telling me there's a chance?

oldmaverick

Post by oldmaverick » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:25 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:42 am
Cookster wrote:

I think many/most Tier 1 teams split games for goalies regardless of any talent disparity. Every program is different in the # of games they play as well, some will play 45-50 games, some will play 70+. so you need to know what you're signing up for and playoff success at the end of the year will also partially dictate this number. If you're talking about juniors, I don't know how you can accurately predict what you will get there as there is so much roster shuffling. If as a 16U/18U goalie you can get a guarantee of playing 40 games in a season in any league, that's a solid # IMO.
The goalie you're thinking of was a top CCHA youth goalie, Chan HS (if he would have went) went the Sioux Falls U16 AAA instead and is going back this season, i believe - worked out for him he was drafted in the USHL. Overall, I think it's more about the "complete" package - Training, games, coaching, connections,etc.... Not specifically just games. MN HS coaches are not in the business of promoting their players like AAA.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:47 am

oldmaverick wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:25 pm
MN HS coaches are not in the business of promoting their players like AAA.
This is almost 100% true, I agree.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:00 am

Just goes to show how worthless Twitter is…..there are kids in 3A who play 2/3 of a game due to numbers.

To even post that shows a clear ignorance.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:53 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Cookster wrote:

And this kid just ended up on the 5 Nations team, right?

arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:06 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:53 pm
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Cookster wrote:

And this kid just ended up on the 5 Nations team, right?
Yep...not too bad for not making it out of the MN District...he got an at-large invitation to the 16U National Camp.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:32 pm

Duluthguy wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:25 am
BP wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:53 pm
About time for Exiled One to dust off and update his files

NTDP early departs this fall

Skahan
Hensler
McMorrow
Plante

Anyone got any other solid early depart announcements?

Last years link attached

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... Departures
'

In an article in this morning's Duluth News Tribune about Zam Plante potentially being drafted this week, Zam says he hasn't decided whether he's returning to Hermantown.

The article is here:

Zam Plante still has another year of high school and at least one more season of hockey to go before he can join his dad and the Bulldogs. Zam has the option in 2022-23 of doing what he did a year ago as a junior — split time between the USHL and high school — or play all of his senior season in juniors in Chicago.

Zam Plante said he’s yet to make a decision about 2022-23. Could the NHL team that potentially drafts him influence that decision?

“I think you listen to what they have to say, but it’s your decision,” Zam Plante said. “I've got to make a decision for myself.”

I think most would expect--as BP asserts--that Zam won't return. Afterall, Max is leaving for the NTDP. But if you take Zam at his word--and if he's quoted correctly--it appears he hasn't yet made a final decision, or isn't ready to announce it.

One interesting note to build the case here.

Both Zam Plante and Ty Hanson made the trip to WBL for the Hockeyday MN Announcement last week. Both took the photo wearing Hawk sweaters....

Could they both indeed be returning for their senior year? If the Hawks only lose Max... Class A Plot lines getting a little more interesting this summer

headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:25 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:32 pm
Duluthguy wrote:
BP wrote:
'

The article is here:

Both Zam Plante and Ty Hanson made the trip to WBL for the Hockeyday MN Announcement last week. Both took the photo wearing Hawk sweaters....

Could they both indeed be returning for their senior year? If the Hawks only lose Max... Class A Plot lines getting a little more interesting this summer
Good observation and I think it'd be huge if both were to come back, but unfortunately HDM has become a total marketing schtick and what better way to market than with two faces well known, let alone sprinkling a little team USA selection chatter here and there and the Maht/HTown rivalry as the cherry on top. My take is even without Zam and or Hanson coming back, the Hawks will be right there in the mix again. There's been some talk of their incoming group under-achieving at the BAA level, but I have no doubt that the kids will continue to work and improve throughout the off season and be battle tested once again. Queue the haters, but HTown continues to churn out top talent year after year, regardless of where they were born or started skating. :)

I'm more interested to see over the next few seasons how many players Stella can manage to steer away from the likes of East, Marshall, Denfeld and dare I say it--HTown?

BP

Post by BP » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:54 am

ClassAGuy wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:
BP wrote:
'

The article is here:

For Zam - he's already committed and drafted. Play before and after for Chicago. Then come back for his senior for 2.5-3 months. I don't think that will kill his development. Be back to try and lead a younger squad and win Mr. Hockey. Him and Vieau - who has had an outstanding offseason this year and sky rocketing up the recruiting charts - would be an incredible duo for Hermantown.

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:20 pm

BP wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:54 am
ClassAGuy wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:

The article is here:

For Zam - he's already committed and drafted. Play before and after for Chicago. Then come back for his senior for 2.5-3 months. I don't think that will kill his development. Be back to try and lead a younger squad and win Mr. Hockey. Him and Vieau - who has had an outstanding offseason this year and sky rocketing up the recruiting charts - would be an incredible duo for Hermantown.
It's being reported that Derek Plante is leaving the UMD coaching staff for a job with the Blackhawks:

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status ... jW1h5AjSQA

Another tweet indicates the job will be on the coaching staff.

Cue more speculation.....

OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:54 am

Heard a rumor that Reese Shaw (Gentry) was offered a spot with the NM Ice Wolves after main camp broke. I don't know how that works, but might be another Junior leaving HS early.

oldmaverick

Post by oldmaverick » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:03 pm

With the 2 - goalie early departures - Chaska has a big opportunity for starting goalie - like a full season as a starter, it will be interesting to see if a #2 somewhere wants a full time #1 net.

farmtown55

Post by farmtown55 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:15 am

Hearing Joey Sylvester, Cretin, accepted a spot with Chippewa Falls in the NAHL.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:56 pm

presumably before and after high school season ?

farmtown55

Post by farmtown55 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:09 pm

Full season

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:05 am

i’m pasting this in from the HSEL thread, list of some notable kids that were not on any HSEL roster

People can cross reference to USHL, NAHL camp preliminary rosters, and provide insight . Also if anyone has info whether a kid making the roster has decided to play full junior season as opposed to before and after high school season , or if still undecided on this

Hensler- NTDP
McMorrow - NTDP
Skahan- NTDP
M Plante - NTDP

Kleber
-Rinzel - Waterloo
-Bruender
-Wishart - Chip

- Gunderson
-Brink
-Nelson- NTDP

-Shaugabay
- Hanson
- Z Plante- Steele

-Thoreson
-Conway
-Casey

-Ranello
-Ludtke
-Briere
-Bentz

Sylvester was on the MAP roster , but apparently has now decided
to play at Chip full time

Shaw was on the MSP roster but apparently will tryout for NM

Cardenas was on the MAp roster but apparently will play for Lone Star

Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:58 pm

Jimmy Clark is not playing elite league. Currently rostered with Green Bay. All signs so far point to him returning to Edina for the winter season.