Games of the Week

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

girlshockey4ever

Games of the Week

Post by girlshockey4ever »

New Topic strand. No individuals. All teams. Games of the week.

Champlin Park/Coon Rapids vs Centennial/Spring Lake Park- Should be interesting. 7-1 Centennial. Champlin just crunched Wayzata

BSM vs HF- Both teams are young. Can Randy win against a top 10 team?

The Battle of Lakeville. Both teams undefeated in conference

Alex vs Brainerd- Northern battle with section potential.

Hill Murray vs Tonka- We will find out quickly if Hill can give Gentry a run again this year.

Maple Grove vs Edina- How do Hornets bounce back? It's been years since they were outshot by more than double.

Moorhead vs HF- I feel like Moosepaw having HF on here twice. However, this is a good match up. Over under on PIMs will be set at 28. Place your bets.

Elk River vs Andover- Shouldn't be close, but has outside potential to be close.
slowD

Re: Games of the Week

Post by slowD »

3 more that that may be of interest...
Roseau vs Moorhead - 8AA seeding battle, don't know if Roseau has the depth to pull out a win
Bemidji vs Crookston - 2 young teams that are off to great starts, both are 8-1
Orono vs AHA - 5A seeding battle - 2 top 5 A teams - goaltender battle or high scoring affair?
girlshockey4ever

Excellent Match-ups! Good spot.
girlshockey4ever

Picked some good ones!

Champlin Park/Coon Rapids vs Centennial/Spring Lake Park- Overtime win for Champlin/Coon Rapids!

BSM vs HF- Both teams are young. Can Randy win against a top 10 team? Not sure BSM is a top 10 team but a win for HF. Nice to see Randy's team as per the norm taking 25 minutes in PIMS. Currently 3rd in the state in PIMS! Finished 1st in the state last year. Better pick up the pace.

Bemidji vs Crookston- Cancelled
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Fantstic win by Champlin coming back from down by 3 - fun to watch (on Livebarn).

BSM has a ton of team speed - very fast as a group. And an absolutely electric, highlight reel goal by Lizzy Hamel from BSM - fantastic play dancing through 3 defenders before dekeing Blair. That, plus a deflected shot from distance was all they could get by Blair, though. Valentini's play at D deserves some attention - fast, outstanding defensive hockey, a very good puck handler, and scored a nice goal joining in the rush. She remains uncommitted, I believe, and looks every bit a peer of the top D in the '23 class.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

j4241 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:45 pm Fantstic win by Champlin coming back from down by 3 - fun to watch (on Livebarn).
Talk about thinking you had the game in-hand and then just tossing it away! Congrats to Champlin/Coon Rapids!
Centennial rarely plays 3 periods "full" of hockey. It either takes them a period to get going, or they take a period off somewhere else. That will be the biggest challenge for that coaching staff - to get them to play 100% for 3 full periods, 200 ft of hockey, every game. Centennial has been ranked 8th-9th by the coaches so far in season on the Hockey Hub, when several on the forum had them around 15th, and the YHH hasn't had them ranked at all. Looks like the coaches were wrong (not surprisingly) and the forum and YHH have been correct. Coming up, it doesn't get any easier for them as their strength of schedule will become far more difficult that it has been.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

I think it's too bad for teams when expectations are too high. Centennial has an outstanding player in O'Hara, but lost a key piece in Goodreau last year, and are very young. Not sure who is on the coaches panel that votes, but it clearly is not a group that collectively stays well informed about other teams. They shouldn't have been top 10 early - had they started in the mid-teens, the early strong record would have been a cause for celebration and expectation elevation, rather than the opposite after stumbling against a good Champlin team.
girlshockey4ever

North Blanks South
AHA Beats Orono- Orono could be in trouble tonight vs Gentry
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Apparently Orono cancelled. Gentry's twitter account said "Wishing a speedy recovery to the Spartans!" I confess to being a bit curious...
girlshockey4ever

Don't mind me, I'll just keep picking barn burners!

Hill Murray vs Tonka- We will find out quickly if Hill can give Gentry a run again this year.
*It certainly appears they can. Zahn is making noise for goalie of the year.

Maple Grove vs Edina- How do Hornets bounce back? It's been years since they were outshot by more than double.
* Great Game. Good bounce back for hornets.

Moorhead vs HF- I feel like Moosepaw having HF on here twice. However, this is a good match up. Over under on PIMs will be set at 28. Place your bets.
* The under wins and so do the Spuds in OT.

Elk River vs Andover- Shouldn't be close, but has outside potential to be close.
*Wasn't close.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Did anyone see the Tonka v. Hill game last Saturday? Looks like the Pioneers gave the Skippers all they could handle.
girlshockey4ever

38-17 shots. Looks like Zhan stood on her head. I alluded to it earlier but I'll say it again, Uma might not be as big of a shoe in. I agree she's the out front favorite, but Zhan is playing great!
girlshockey4ever

Benilde-St. Margaret's vs Blake- Can the first line of Blake get it done?

Roseau vs. Moorhead- Great Match up of northern teams. Moorhead by 3

Red Wing- Gentry Academy- I'm torn. Part of me likes that nobody will play Gentry. The other part says shame on them for playing one of the worst teams in single A hockey.

Eden Prairie- Prior Lake- PL is hot beating Eastview and Rosemount. Possible 3-4-5 section rank on the line

Brainerd/Little Falls- Bemidji- Lumberjacks playing well could be interesting

Lakeville North- Northfield- Game of the night. Lots of section implication here.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:55 am Benilde-St. Margaret's vs Blake- Can the first line of Blake get it done?

Roseau vs. Moorhead- Great Match up of northern teams. Moorhead by 3

Red Wing- Gentry Academy- I'm torn. Part of me likes that nobody will play Gentry. The other part says shame on them for playing one of the worst teams in single A hockey.

Eden Prairie- Prior Lake- PL is hot beating Eastview and Rosemount. Possible 3-4-5 section rank on the line

Brainerd/Little Falls- Bemidji- Lumberjacks playing well could be interesting

Lakeville North- Northfield- Game of the night. Lots of section implication here.
Gentry up 10-0 after 1. SOG 29-1. What can they do other than stop shooting?
girlshockey4ever

Benilde-St. Margaret's vs Blake- Can the first line of Blake get it done?
*YES THEY CAN! and good goaltending

Roseau vs. Moorhead- Great Match up of northern teams. Moorhead by 3.
*YEP, Moorhead by 3.

*Shame

*PL stays hot. Huge win for a program that has been struggling in years past. Congrats!

Brainerd/Little Falls- Bemidji- Lumberjacks playing well could be interesting.
*0-0 Tie. Told you it would be good.

*2-1 Lakeville. #1 seed locked up.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:53 pm 38-17 shots. Looks like Zhan stood on her head. I alluded to it earlier but I'll say it again, Uma might not be as big of a shoe in. I agree she's the out front favorite, but Zhan is playing great!
Isn't Zhan a junior?
girlshockey4ever

Scores from Around the League

Tonka vs Andover- I got up this morning just waiting for everyone's favorite Andover dad to have some profound message about the game only to be disappointed. It's weird. When you go back and look at his posts he always has meticulous breakdowns of games. Anyway, I'm sure he'll have something to say about individual girls, calling them out for their mistakes or misgivings. I watched the game, from a cell phone, which is way too small btw; but from my 3x5 vantage point it looked like Andover knew the game started at 5:00pm while Tonka thought it was a 7pm tilt. Andover smothered them. Then in the 2nd and 3rd Tonka got the better of the scoring chances. Tonka goalie made a great save on 8 (maybe) late in the game. Great hockey all around.

Edina vs HF- Tough to live up to the opening act. Edina scores 10 seconds in and then nothing. HF scores in 1st then nothing. Looks like a shootout decides that HF plays Tonka today. Should be fun. Wish I could watch Randy loose his mind over something.

BSM vs NWC- Looks like a barn burner. Nice game for NWC to keep it close. Perhaps they are getting their stride like they did last year.

Roseville vs SSP- Great win for the raiders/zephers or whatever they are now. Phunnius called it after game 1. Said they will be good.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Totally! Those Andover dads are clowns!

Great win by Tonka! Their first line played great - particularly Rauk and Mack. Must have felt really good to get over the Andover hump!

Epic goaltending duel between Uma and Sedona - that was one for the ages!
Iceburg

Post by Iceburg »

j4241 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:07 pmEpic goaltending duel between Uma and Sedona - that was one for the ages!
Yes, it had been a long couple of days and I had intended on leaving after the first period of that one, but could not tear myself away. Great fun!
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Things get a little chippy at the end of the Tonka/HF tilt? Looks like a couple of 5/10's for the Tonka side.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Looked like 15s was a 2 minute cross check and 10 for complaining, but I'm not sure. The initial hit was from behind, but it was more shove than a real crosscheck. If they gave the 10 for the hit, that seems like overkill - 2 minutes seemed about right.

14s was yet another dirty, dirty play. Very appropriately called 5 and 10. High potential for injury on the Holy Family player. Just not sure where the adults are around her.
PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad »

Patrick Reusse covering the event - slipped this one into the story about the Minnetonka vs Andover matchup: "These are two programs that have done well in the transfer portal, which in public school hockey is the family moving to a new district."

https://www.startribune.com/minnesotas- ... 600239017/
Timber545

Post by Timber545 »

j4241 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:57 pm Looked like 15s was a 2 minute cross check and 10 for complaining, but I'm not sure. The initial hit was from behind, but it was more shove than a real crosscheck. If they gave the 10 for the hit, that seems like overkill - 2 minutes seemed about right.

14s was yet another dirty, dirty play. Very appropriately called 5 and 10. High potential for injury on the Holy Family player. Just not sure where the adults are around her.
The MSHSL needs to start suspending these players for egregious penalties. It's obvious the coaches have no interest in disciplining their players.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Timber545 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:26 pm
j4241 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:57 pm Looked like 15s was a 2 minute cross check and 10 for complaining, but I'm not sure. The initial hit was from behind, but it was more shove than a real crosscheck. If they gave the 10 for the hit, that seems like overkill - 2 minutes seemed about right.

The MSHSL needs to start suspending these players for egregious penalties. It's obvious the coaches have no interest in disciplining their players.
Just so we've all got this right. Tonka has played 14 games and #14 has at least 3 violent incidents this year?

And it doesn't even appear that she leads her team in penalties, thanks to a teammate getting a 2 and 10 two minutes later in the Holy Family tilt.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:34 pm
Timber545 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:26 pm

Just so we've all got this right. Tonka has played 14 games and #14 has at least 3 violent incidents this year?

And it doesn't even appear that she leads her team in penalties, thanks to a teammate getting a 2 and 10 two minutes later in the Holy Family tilt.
Has #14 been kicked out of two games now, or three? MNHSL handbook section 206 states 2 ejections warrant a 4-game suspension. If these are violent acts, why isn't the coach, AD, school, or MSHSL doing anything about it? There's obviously a pattern of violent behavior, from what has been posted to the forum.

https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/fil ... Series.pdf