tourney

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

tourney

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Go Big Red! (Luverne) \:D/ Ok probably get outshot 50-10. :mrgreen: [-( :-#
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Nostalgic Nerd

Re: tourney

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Uff da. Already over. #-o ](*,)
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Warroad 15 - Albert Lea 1
So this is what the Class A tournament is supposed to be all about? I’ve have had enough of them at the Class A level. Grow-up Warroad, and make the move to AA. What are you afraid of?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Shame on the MSHSL and Warroad’s staff. 8-10 goals makes the point. 15 is an embarrassment. With the disparity in talent maybe it’s time for 3 classes: eight team double A tournament, and two four-team tournaments for A+ and A-.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Puckguy19 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:38 pm Shame on the MSHSL and Warroad’s staff. 8-10 goals makes the point. 15 is an embarrassment. With the disparity in talent maybe it’s time for 3 classes: eight team double A tournament, and two four-team tournaments for A+ and A-.
Agreed. Even if another class is created, Warroad is small enough to stay down. They only way to force a school like that to move up is to limit the number of Class AA teams they can play in the regular season (through some type of rule change). Blake got tired of kicking Warroad’s arse every year in the tournament, and finally made the jump to AA a few years back. Time for Warroad to do the same.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Making 3 tournaments won't work. I'd be surprised if Warroad ever moved up. The small school tourney is driven by them.

We got two 1 goal games today. Pretty good considering. Though once again the night game saved the day LOL.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Lace'emUp wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:50 pm
Puckguy19 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:38 pm Shame on the MSHSL and Warroad’s staff. 8-10 goals makes the point. 15 is an embarrassment. With the disparity in talent maybe it’s time for 3 classes: eight team double A tournament, and two four-team tournaments for A+ and A-.
Agreed. Even if another class is created, Warroad is small enough to stay down. They only way to force a school like that to move up is to limit the number of Class AA teams they can play in the regular season (through some type of rule change). Blake got tired of kicking Warroad’s arse every year in the tournament, and finally made the jump to AA a few years back. Time for Warroad to do the same.
They really should though. It sure would make for an exciting AA bracket.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Yeah, limit A teams to 0 AA teams on the regular season schedule. Warroad, P/H, South St. Paul and Orono would classify to AA the next day. Problem solved.

The other "good" option would be to dump classifications altogether, since so many teams opt out or manipulate them. Make a 32-team postseason for the "MSHSL tourney" and then dump the other 80 teams into the equivalent of the NIT.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:36 am
Yeah, limit A teams to 0 AA teams on the regular season schedule. Warroad, P/H, South St. Paul and Orono would classify to AA the next day. Problem solved.

The other "good" option would be to dump classifications altogether, since so many teams opt out or manipulate them. Make a 32-team postseason for the "MSHSL tourney" and then dump the other 80 teams into the equivalent of the NIT.
The MSHSL tried that in the late 90s on the boy's side with Tier 1 and Tier 2 tournaments. Not well received..... Teams right on the bubble line could tank the last couple of games to make it into the "easier" Tier 2 tournament. And what system do you use to rank the teams?

And if you limit Class A teams to 0 AA teams, what do you do with conference schedules? Alexandria plays in the Central Lake Conference which is a mix of Class A and AA teams. Warroad and Moorhead are part of the Greater Minnesota Conference which is also a mix of teams.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Warroad's first line scored the 13th goal, come on. I am pretty close to correct I believe, when saying there are 5 or 6 actual Warroad girl's on their roster. Not tough to win with a recruited all star team!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

From the Grand Forks Herald:

It's great to get our fourth line out there a couple shifts in that third period," senior forward __________ ___________ said. "It's fun to see them put the puck in the net, too. Because next year we have 10 seniors leaving, so they're gonna have to fill our spots and it's great to see that they can do that."

Shouldn’t the fourth line have gotten more than a couple of shifts?
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Puckguy19 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:48 am From the Grand Forks Herald:

It's great to get our fourth line out there a couple shifts in that third period," senior forward __________ ___________ said. "It's fun to see them put the puck in the net, too. Because next year we have 10 seniors leaving, so they're gonna have to fill our spots and it's great to see that they can do that."

The fourth line should have started yesterday and been in the rotation the whole game.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

How about requiring a team to play AA if they have more than two girls from out of state? haha
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Seems like this is the exact same thread you will find on the boys' forum with "Hermantown" replacing "Warroad" over there.

Warroad would certainly be more than competitive in AA. they came down in January and played Edina and Hill-Murray on a Friday/Saturday. They lost a one goal game to the Hornets in a game Warroad dominated and they tied Hill-Murray in a game Warroad outshot the Pioneers 51-20.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:58 am
Puckguy19 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:48 am From the Grand Forks Herald:

The fourth line should have started yesterday and been in the rotation the whole game.
Girls HS hockey using a 4th line? At the Class A level? If you're seeing that you're watching different teams than I am apparently. I rarely see 4th lines play even with most AA programs (maybe a couple of random shifts). I'm certainly not trying to defend Warroad and they way they run their program, but expecting a 4th line to play much at all is just not a realistic expectation in Girls HS hockey.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Cent/SLP certainly made things interesting. Hats off to them for a great effort. I wonder how Tonka is feeling after that. Nice to see at least one good contest today. Unshocking blowouts in the other 3 games (combine 22-0). After those efforts, Cent/SLP should be able to take the consolation championship.

For tomorrow, I think Tonka will ratchet it up versus Gentry. I’m undecided on Andover/Edina. Hard to beat a team 3 times, as some say.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Regardless of how things turn out, Tonka is a fun team to watch with its skating, passing, and shooting. They had an extremely fun PP last year at state.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Proctor/Hermy sure look good. Very well coached team. A strong forecheck. No noticeable star talent but still generate offensive chances.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Orono really starting to take over. That Rasmussen is fun to watch as a skater. Dahl looks very difficult to beat in net. Think that's Larry Olimb as head coach. He'd get to face his alma mater if they win in Warroad LOL.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Feels to me like Orono has some of that rink rat quality to their play.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Ha! Bummer Stauber and dad lost. Go Warriors!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I think I saw both girls from Gentry that aren't on the team at the game tonight...
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I guess we only talk about cheap players when they wear a certain uniform. #12 from Andover is just a gamer that plays hard-nosed hockey.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

What a dud of a performance from Tonka at the tourney this year. After steamrolling Holy Family last week, I didn't think anyone would stop them this week. After barely surviving Centennial yesterday, they looked like a shell of themselves against Gentry. Teamwork was lacking, the defense was pressing too much and gave up odd (wo)men rushes too much to Gentry, one of which cost them the game. I'm no fan of Tonka but I feel like we were robbed of an all-time epic championship game tomorrow night between Tonka and Andover.
Slap Shot wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:15 am I guess we only talk about cheap players when they wear a certain uniform. #12 from Andover is just a gamer that plays hard-nosed hockey.
I saw what you're talking about, #12 can cross the line occasionally and what she did at the end of the game was totally uncalled for and would hope her coaches talk to her about it. Just like I hope #14 was talked to. And #7 with seconds left in the Holy Family game last week.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Cheering for Gentry but picking Andover.