2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BlueLineSpecial

Re: 2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:59 pm
raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:51 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:33 pm

Yeah I agree it would be fun. I keep telling myself to reach out and get some folks together at one of these games to meet and say hi. But then I’m also fairly worried about being stabbed if I divulge myself 8)
Not by me. I'm just a lovable Iron Range transplant of about 50 years who hails from the same hometown as the grandpa & father of one your famous alums who plays for the Penguins. I'll even smile now. :-D
We're still Guentzel fans at HM. Glad those kids came through the program and Jake has had an unbelievable pro career.
Was just talking about him. Was fun to have Mike Yeos kid (kids?) on the team too, and was just thinking about that the other day for some reason.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
BlueLineSpecial

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:01 am I'm sticking with Hill 2-1 tonight. One of these teams will enter the X next week without a quality win. I discount any HDM win, and while there may be a slight argument that Hill's win over STA and Gentry's win over WB are quality wins, they are very marginal in that respect.

Looking at Gentry's record, I don't see anything there, save a nice win over a slumping Bears squad that barely survived Tartan, and we all know Sager's teams never improve over the season. And don't try to sell me on a 7-0 win over Roseville.

Hill has no quality wins. The only thing I can say about Hill's record is the pair of very narrow losses to Edina.

Again, I have to state that the true test of Hill hatred is the state tournament games with Edina. And at those games, there is a very slight but detectable amount of applause for Edina's goals (from neutral fans) that is not there for Hill goals. It's really amusing, that the Hill haters hate us so much, they insist were not the most hated. They don't want us to have that badge of honor.
Well I wish I had your confidence. And clearly I should by now. Because I’ve been watching Hill rise to the occasion in big games more than most any I’ve ever seen and they just do it year after year. They have a different gear in the playoffs. As I’ve said all sorts of times, this is the best coaching staff in MN high school hockey

Good call on the game ESPG
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:59 pm
raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:51 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:33 pm

Yeah I agree it would be fun. I keep telling myself to reach out and get some folks together at one of these games to meet and say hi. But then I’m also fairly worried about being stabbed if I divulge myself 8)
Not by me. I'm just a lovable Iron Range transplant of about 50 years who hails from the same hometown as the grandpa & father of one your famous alums who plays for the Penguins. I'll even smile now. :-D
We're still Guentzel fans at HM. Glad those kids came through the program and Jake has had an unbelievable pro career.
I used to drop the Mpls. Sun. Tribune on Grandpa Ralph's door step when I was a young sprout. I've bumped into Mike here and there at games where he's scouting.
TourneyEarnie

Post by TourneyEarnie »

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, but now that the dust has settled I thought I would speak my mind. As someone who is an HM alum & former manager of the HM Boys hockey team, I have always been very critical of the team since graduating years ago. To me a good HM team has at ~18 wins going into the 2nd week of March. In recent years I haven't kept tabs on the rosters, but I always trusted the judgement of Lechner. So going into this year, I was optimistic of going 1 game further than last year. Beating EP to start the year was an initial good sign, but repeat close losses to top contenders were warning signs to me. The loss to Champlin Park made me realize this might be a rough season. I normally never doubted a HM team as Lechner has the ability to elevate a team from good to great, great to elite, etc, however this season felt like a different beast.

Calling a WBL game this season & seeing them dominate definitely had me thinking WBL would embarrass HM on their "home" rink in the 4AA final. I couldn't have been more wrong. Every once in a while Aldrich likes to pull a fast one. I didn't catch any of the section games in person but waking up to see Tartan forcing WBL into OT gave be flash backs to seeing Johnson upset WBL years ago with my dad who was a Johnson alum. WBL prevailed, but I was worried about them. When Woodbury shocked the world I started thinking Aldrich might be filled with more orange than green in the finals, with WBL going to state rightfully so. Again I couldn't have been more wrong. Hearing Gentry pull the upset was shocking, but with how WBL played Tartan I could see it. I've always enjoyed programs rising up over the years to shake things up with the perennial contenders and sometimes becoming one of them [looking at you Andover].

Onto the final. A GA v HM final felt like it would happen years down the line but not in 2023. I know Gentry Academy has had success in their short time in the MSHSL, but this felt too soon to me, as if they needed a few more years in AA to reach peak performance. With the very lack luster season HM had & the "Okay-ish" season GA had this was a toss up for me. I forget who it was but someone in here said "It depends on which HM team shows up and which GA team shows up" and that summed up how I felt. I could see either team win by 1 goal or 5 goals.

In the end, I'm sad HM and WBL couldn't duke it out one more time this year. Yeah HDM is a cool event, but nothing beats Aldrich becoming a madhouse when WBL & HM battle whether its the regular season or with all the marbles on the line for the 4AA title. When I was young my dad and I would spend all day at Aldrich watching the 4AA Quarterfinals & going to the Coliseum for semis/finals if we wanted to. Those games are why I fell in love with the sport. I'm also happy to see GA & WBL make strides in their programs & continue to grow.

but I am the most happy for the best 4 days of the year being less than a week away.
#RollPioSkiesForever
Named after the State Tournament
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Nice memories and perspective, Ernie.

Blue, I'm annoying enough, don't stroke my ego.

Raider, nothing stranger than a Ranger. Half the fall and most of the winter I worked in the Twin Ports. There was a young Ranger on the crew, and that kid is a stereotypical Ranger, he was like a loveable puppy, sort of the crew"s mascot. He had to be reminded near daily "Indoor voice Benny, indoor voice."
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Stick around a little, TourneyEarnie. We're outnumbered here and taking heavy fire. Need some more fans of the good guys :mrgreen: on this board
BlueLineSpecial

Rails Hockey wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:20 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:01 am I'm sticking with Hill 2-1 tonight. One of these teams will enter the X next week without a quality win. I discount any HDM win, and while there may be a slight argument that Hill's win over STA and Gentry's win over WB are quality wins, they are very marginal in that respect.

Looking at Gentry's record, I don't see anything there, save a nice win over a slumping Bears squad that barely survived Tartan, and we all know Sager's teams never improve over the season. And don't try to sell me on a 7-0 win over Roseville.

Hill has no quality wins. The only thing I can say about Hill's record is the pair of very narrow losses to Edina.

Again, I have to state that the true test of Hill hatred is the state tournament games with Edina. And at those games, there is a very slight but detectable amount of applause for Edina's goals (from neutral fans) that is not there for Hill goals. It's really amusing, that the Hill haters hate us so much, they insist were not the most hated. They don't want us to have that badge of honor.
I don’t usually read through all the Cities threads but this one has been really good! You’ve always come across as just a semi-cocky Hill guy, so you’re okay in my book. 😀

When I went to Colkege, all I knew about Hill-Murray is that they made a few of the State Tournaments that I watched in the 80’s.

I had a kid from Bloomington Kennedy in my dorm. He literally spent the entire year bit@“ing about Hill-Murray. I never got it at the time. But I always think of him when I read these threads.
You know that Bloomington Kennedy kid - now man - is somewhere right now, sipping his cup of morning coffee, reading the news that Hill is in the tourney yet again and grumbling under his breath.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

Another year, another trip to state. Never gets old!
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
TourneyEarnie

Post by TourneyEarnie »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:00 am Stick around a little, TourneyEarnie. We're outnumbered here and taking heavy fire. Need some more fans of the good guys :mrgreen: on this board
So I have read. Your "reinforcement" has arrived! For such a small school, its funny how often I run into alumni. I'd give my two cents on HM "recruiting" players, but I dont think this is the thread for it :-#
#RollPioSkiesForever
Named after the State Tournament
BlueLineSpecial

TourneyEarnie wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:46 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:00 am Stick around a little, TourneyEarnie. We're outnumbered here and taking heavy fire. Need some more fans of the good guys :mrgreen: on this board
So I have read. Your "reinforcement" has arrived! For such a small school, its funny how often I run into alumni. I'd give my two cents on HM "recruiting" players, but I dont think this is the thread for it :-#
pew pew pew pew \:D/
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:00 am Nice memories and perspective, Ernie.

Blue, I'm annoying enough, don't stroke my ego.

Raider, nothing stranger than a Ranger. Half the fall and most of the winter I worked in the Twin Ports. There was a young Ranger on the crew, and that kid is a stereotypical Ranger, he was like a loveable puppy, sort of the crew"s mascot. He had to be reminded near daily "Indoor voice Benny, indoor voice."
I think I've heard of him. He's from the (wrong )east end of the Range. Now he spends his days hollering in the cheering section at an Eveleth-Gilbert game. At the end of the day he holes up at the palatial Koch's Motel in Eveleth .I'm sure he's the reason for the Rock Ridge combination.
Your quote of the poor fellow reminds me of Don Rickles
calling down the row to Jimmy Stewart at a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast , " Hey Jimmy, over here. It's over, Jimmy, it's over."😄
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

With Hill breezing by Gentry the way they did, and the way WBL was dismantled by the same Gentry team, it's time for real pressure for a change at WBL.

Semi game vs Gentry was an inexcusable effort and result for the Bears. #1 seed yet again only to underachieve again. The worst game the Bears have played in the postseason in at least a decade, in a game played with zero urgency. Yes, the Bears may be been dealing with illness but the overall gameplan was a recipe for failure. Late season lineup changes, losing a top 6 forward to Gentry, lack of development from 11 and 15 in particular from soph to senior seasons and complete failure year after year shouldn't be continually overlooked. The cupboard isnt bare as Bantam AA program has been good to very good as of late, and at the varsity level the kids plateau or regress. By all accounts Sager is a nice guy and a respectable leader, but he clearly doesn't get the kids motivated, and from a system/gameplan standpoint he is awful. Look at the Bears try and break the puck out of own zone in the semis with no forecheck from Gentry..prayer half ice outlets hoping to chip it deep with no forward momentum. This happened all night long with no results and no change. Powerplay atrocious all year, and he hardly gives 3rd line any ice all year, until the section semis where they skated more than any regular season game all year. Young goalie had an off game, but the game wasnt on him. The lack of jump, gameplan, ability to change within game is incredibly evident. It's no surprise the Greeders of the world choose to play for Lechner over Sager. 2011 upset got him 10 years extension but that is long gone. Half dozen coinflip sectionf inals since Sager has arrived, and WBL has won 1. He sits behind the bench quiet or whistling. Lechner constantly teaching/coaching in game.
Wednesday night both Sager and Anderson sat back, never interacting with anyone outside of some chirping at the officials for calls that werent there. Once down 2-1, both Sager and Anderson looked visibly dejected and like the game was already over. 6,8 and 9 should be able to play with most forward groups in the state, and 11 15 and 18 as a 2nd unit should've been able to produce as well. 20+ season with results as is, it seems time for a shakeup. WBL AA peewees/bantams have had very good success and everyone wonders why it doesnt translate to HS
..its not all the few kids who play elsewhere, it's the complete amateur operation behind the WBL bench
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Very well stated!! It's too bad that a new coach would have to be employed in the district. That cuts out a lot of good candidates.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

mnpuckster wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:06 pm With Hill breezing by Gentry the way they did, and the way WBL was dismantled by the same Gentry team, it's time for real pressure for a change at WBL.

Semi game vs Gentry was an inexcusable effort and result for the Bears. #1 seed yet again only to underachieve again. The worst game the Bears have played in the postseason in at least a decade, in a game played with zero urgency. Yes, the Bears may be been dealing with illness but the overall gameplan was a recipe for failure. Late season lineup changes, losing a top 6 forward to Gentry, lack of development from 11 and 15 in particular from soph to senior seasons and complete failure year after year shouldn't be continually overlooked. The cupboard isnt bare as Bantam AA program has been good to very good as of late, and at the varsity level the kids plateau or regress. By all accounts Sager is a nice guy and a respectable leader, but he clearly doesn't get the kids motivated, and from a system/gameplan standpoint he is awful. Look at the Bears try and break the puck out of own zone in the semis with no forecheck from Gentry..prayer half ice outlets hoping to chip it deep with no forward momentum. This happened all night long with no results and no change. Powerplay atrocious all year, and he hardly gives 3rd line any ice all year, until the section semis where they skated more than any regular season game all year. Young goalie had an off game, but the game wasnt on him. The lack of jump, gameplan, ability to change within game is incredibly evident. It's no surprise the Greeders of the world choose to play for Lechner over Sager. 2011 upset got him 10 years extension but that is long gone. Half dozen coinflip sectionf inals since Sager has arrived, and WBL has won 1. He sits behind the bench quiet or whistling. Lechner constantly teaching/coaching in game.
Wednesday night both Sager and Anderson sat back, never interacting with anyone outside of some chirping at the officials for calls that werent there. Once down 2-1, both Sager and Anderson looked visibly dejected and like the game was already over. 6,8 and 9 should be able to play with most forward groups in the state, and 11 15 and 18 as a 2nd unit should've been able to produce as well. 20+ season with results as is, it seems time for a shakeup. WBL AA peewees/bantams have had very good success and everyone wonders why it doesnt translate to HS
..its not all the few kids who play elsewhere, it's the complete amateur operation behind the WBL bench
The talk has been all year that this is Sager’s last year, however, he told his assistant coaches, he wants 2 more years, please God no!!! I have never seen a coach waste so much talent, should have been fired years ago. Time and time again I have been asked by parents from other schools. Why do we keep him around? White bear will never go anywhere with him as a coach.
East Side Pioneer Guy

I'd give Sager several more years.
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:15 pm I'd give Sager several more years.
I would too, if I were an opponent.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:15 pm I'd give Sager several more years.
Another 30 years and he'll pass Ikola in wins...
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Maybe Hermantown can use another sandbagger :mrgreen:
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:52 pm
if I had a 8th grade White Bear AA bantam i’d be looking at gentry academy
East Side Pioneer Guy

Not in state quarterfinal wins!
Hockey Is For Everyone
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

hockeymannorth wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:50 pm
if I had a 8th grade White Bear AA bantam i’d be looking at gentry academy
Pay all that money to go to a school with 25 girls. More to life than hockey.
Last edited by SEC Scotty on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Haters gotta hate.

Live long and prosper.
Hockey Is For Everyone
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:24 pm Haters gotta hate.

Live long and prosper.
OK Spock
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

It's free now -Gentry is public charter
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Tuition at Gentry is over $15,000 a year.