2023-2024 New Section Alignment?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

xy

Re: 2023-2024 New Section Alignment?

Post by xy »

I don't think anybody would want Tier I and II the way the did it in 1992 and 1993, which if I remember correctly went solely by won-loss records in the season just concluded, and led to ridiculous things like Rosemount, which most decidedly was not the kind of school two class hockey was meant to help, in the Tier II tournament.

What would be nice to see is some acknowledgement that enrollment, even modified by free/reduced school lunch numbers as MSHSL does it, is a very crude and inexact proxy for competitiveness and athletic success, and that if they're going to do right by kids other factors ought to be considered where possible. The point of different classes is to get teams at the appropriate competitive level. That most assuredly is not happening, not just in hockey but in all sports, if a school like Two Rivers is in a higher class than St. Thomas Academy and Mahtomedi (I'm talking broadly as I know STA moves up in hockey). I'm not an unbiased observer as I have ties to Two Rivers, but it doesn't sit right to see essentially all their teams placed at a level where they simply have no chance to compete, given the realities of the district.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

To be honest most teams in hockey do not have a chance.
Without knowing much of AA hockey but just looking at the recent history you could guess the 8 at state next March.
Lakeville South
Edina
Hill
Maple Grove
Moorhead
Andover
Minnetonka
STA

And given 8 more I would be within one maybe two.

Single A may be a little tougher but still close.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

I’m on spring break and have some time on my hands. Combine that with the fact that I’m a total dork about high school hockey and geography and I present to you… a 3-class high school hockey realignment. The classes are based on who I think “should” be in each class instead of pure enrollment numbers. Classes AAA and AA would each have 48 teams, leaving 49 for Class A. I know others have done similar things on here. This is just for fun… take it or leave it :mrgreen: .

1AAA
Northfield
Lakeville South
Lakeville North
Eastview
Rosemount
Hastings

2AAA
Holy Family
Eden Prairie
Chanhassen
Chaska
Shakopee
Prior Lake

3AAA
Holy Angels
Cretin-Derham Hall
St. Thomas Academy
Woodbury
East Ridge
Park of Cottage Grove

4AAA
Hill-Murray
Stillwater
Mahtomedi
White Bear Lake
Gentry Academy
Mounds View

5AAA
Totino-Grace
Champlin Park
Maple Grove
Rogers
St. Michael-Albertville
Buffalo

6AAA
Wayzata
Orono
Benilde-St. Margaret’s
Blake
Minnetonka
Edina

7AAA
Rock Ridge
Grand Rapids
Hermantown
Duluth East
Andover
Centennial

8AAA
Elk River
Moorhead
Bemidji
East Grand Forks
Roseau
Warroad
Brodziak Fan Club

1AA
Albert Lea
Rochester Century
Rochester Mayo
Owatonna
Mankato East
New Ulm

2AA
New Prague
Southwest Christian
Waconia
Delano
Hutchinson
Litchfield

3AA
Farmington
Apple Valley/Burnsville
Bloomington Jefferson
Eagan
Two Rivers
Tartan

4AA
Roseville
Irondale
Spring Lake Park
Blaine
Forest Lake
Chisago Lakes

5AA
Coon Rapids
Anoka
Monticello
St. Cloud Cathedral
St. Cloud
Sartell

6AA
Osseo
Providence Academy
Armstrong/Cooper
Hopkins
St. Louis Park
Minneapolis

7AA
Cambridge-Isanti
Cloquet
Proctor
Duluth Denfeld
Duluth Marshall
Hibbing

8AA
Alexandria
Little Falls
Brainerd
Fergus Falls
Detroit Lakes
Thief River Falls

I’m planning to work on Class A sections in the next day or two.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 pm I’m on spring break and have some time on my hands. Combine that with the fact that I’m a total dork about high school hockey and geography and I present to you… a 3-class high school hockey realignment. The classes are based on who I think “should” be in each class instead of pure enrollment numbers. Classes AAA and AA would each have 48 teams, leaving 49 for Class A. I know others have done similar things on here. This is just for fun… take it or leave it :mrgreen: .

1AAA
Northfield
Lakeville South
Lakeville North
Eastview
Rosemount
Hastings

2AAA
Holy Family
Eden Prairie
Chanhassen
Chaska
Shakopee
Prior Lake

3AAA
Holy Angels
Cretin-Derham Hall
St. Thomas Academy
Woodbury
East Ridge
Park of Cottage Grove

4AAA
Hill-Murray
Stillwater
Mahtomedi
White Bear Lake
Gentry Academy
Mounds View

5AAA
Totino-Grace
Champlin Park
Maple Grove
Rogers
St. Michael-Albertville
Buffalo

6AAA
Wayzata
Orono
Benilde-St. Margaret’s
Blake
Minnetonka
Edina

7AAA
Rock Ridge
Grand Rapids
Hermantown
Duluth East
Andover
Centennial

8AAA
Elk River
Moorhead
Bemidji
East Grand Forks
Roseau
Warroad
A lot of common sense to this approach . About the only thoughts so far would be about Blaine and Farmington , Seems as if both could remain in the top class for the time being, And not so sure about Centennial in 7, leave in 5?
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:13 pm
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 pm I’m on spring break and have some time on my hands. Combine that with the fact that I’m a total dork about high school hockey and geography and I present to you… a 3-class high school hockey realignment. The classes are based on who I think “should” be in each class instead of pure enrollment numbers. Classes AAA and AA would each have 48 teams, leaving 49 for Class A. I know others have done similar things on here. This is just for fun… take it or leave it :mrgreen: .

1AAA
Northfield
Lakeville South
Lakeville North
Eastview
Rosemount
Hastings

2AAA
Holy Family
Eden Prairie
Chanhassen
Chaska
Shakopee
Prior Lake

3AAA
Holy Angels
Cretin-Derham Hall
St. Thomas Academy
Woodbury
East Ridge
Park of Cottage Grove

4AAA
Hill-Murray
Stillwater
Mahtomedi
White Bear Lake
Gentry Academy
Mounds View

5AAA
Totino-Grace
Champlin Park
Maple Grove
Rogers
St. Michael-Albertville
Buffalo

6AAA
Wayzata
Orono
Benilde-St. Margaret’s
Blake
Minnetonka
Edina

7AAA
Rock Ridge
Grand Rapids
Hermantown
Duluth East
Andover
Centennial

8AAA
Elk River
Moorhead
Bemidji
East Grand Forks
Roseau
Warroad
A lot of common sense to this approach . About the only thoughts so far would be about Blaine and Farmington , Seems as if both could remain in the top class for the time being, And not so sure about Centennial in 7, leave in 5?
Yeah, Blaine had a very down year this year, but you 100% have to keep them in top class given school size, recent history and pretty competitive youth teams. Not so sure about putting Orono and Northfield in top class. Otherwise, looks good.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:01 am
WestMetro wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:13 pm

1AAA
Northfield
Lakeville South
Lakeville North
Eastview
Rosemount
Hastings

2AAA
Holy Family
Eden Prairie
Chanhassen
Chaska
Shakopee
Prior Lake

3AAA
Holy Angels
Cretin-Derham Hall
St. Thomas Academy
Woodbury
East Ridge
Park of Cottage Grove

4AAA
Hill-Murray
Stillwater
Mahtomedi
White Bear Lake
Gentry Academy
Mounds View

5AAA
Totino-Grace
Champlin Park
Maple Grove
Rogers
St. Michael-Albertville
Buffalo

6AAA
Wayzata
Orono
Benilde-St. Margaret’s
Blake
Minnetonka
Edina

7AAA
Rock Ridge
Grand Rapids
Hermantown
Duluth East
Andover
Centennial

8AAA
Elk River
Moorhead
Bemidji
East Grand Forks
Roseau
Warroad
Yeah, Blaine had a very down year this year, but you 100% have to keep them in top class given school size, recent history and pretty competitive youth teams. Not so sure about putting Orono and Northfield in top class. Otherwise, looks good.
I’d swap Blaine and Totino Grace. I know Grace opted up but it’s just not happening for them in the top class. They should move back down and re-build what once was a very strong program at the Class A level.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Is there actual talk of three classes or is this just conjecture? Interesting though!
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:57 am From Youth Hockey Hub Twitter
BHS

YHH hearing the following information on section realignment for next year.

New Prague and Northfield to 1AA
Waconia to 2AA
Two Rivers to 3AA
Cambridge to 7AA

Teams petitioned to go from AA to A but denied:

Armstrong/Cooper, B-ville/AV, Osseo, St. Cloud

Things are going to be interesting some movement Class A Sections are gonna need to be fixed 4A right now only has 6 teams curious to see some more major movement than normal in a 2 year cycle
If the above is true (I'm skeptical on NF, as someone on twitter pointed out the MSHSL enrollment sheet for 23/24 and 24/25 has NF 100 students below the AA cutoff of 1202), I see the sections as follows:

1 (9): Century, Farmington, JM, Lakeville North, Lakeville South, Mayo, Northfield, New Prague, Owatonna
2 (9): Chan, Chaska, EP, HF, Jefferson, PL, Shakopee, Tonka
3 (9): Two Rivers, AV/BV, CDH, Eagan, Eastview, Hastings, Park CG, Rosemount, STA
4 (9): East Ridge, Gentry, Hill, Irondale, Roseville, Stillwater, Tartan, WBL, Woodbury
5 (9): Anoka, Centennial, CP, MG, Moundsview, Osseo, Rogers, Spring Lake Park,TG
6 (8): AHA, A/C, Benilde, Blake, Edina, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, Wayzata
7 (9): Andover, Blaine, CI, Coon Rapids, Duluth East, Denfeld, Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, Rock Ridge
8 (9): Bemidji, Brained, Buffalo, Elk River, Moorhead, Roseau, Sartell, St. Cloud, STMA
Brodziak Fan Club

Mite-dad wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 am Is there actual talk of three classes or is this just conjecture? Interesting though!
This is just conjecture on my part, although it has been discussed on this board and was brought up in passing on the YHH podcast this year.

I appreciate all the feedback! I should say that I intend these section assignments as a starting point to be adjusted from every two years. Teams would earn their way up or down based on results over that two-year period.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:23 am
I appreciate all the feedback! I should say that I intend these section assignments as a starting point to be adjusted from every two years. Teams would earn their way up or down based on results over that two-year period.
I like the idea of a "Success Point" system for classification of schools, but I think you have to go longer than 2 years as to not punish the "flash in the pan" program that had one successful year.

You get so many points per year based on if you make the State Tournament and how far you go. 1 point for making the State Tournament, 2 points for making the State Semis, 3 points making the State Championship. If you accumulate so many points (say 12 over four years as you could get six in one year), you get bumped up. Everyone starts out with their placement based on enrollment as they do now. If you are an A school by enrollment and your four year "Success Point" total is over the limit, you get bumped up.

Every two year classification cycle, you take a look at the previous four years. If you are a school that has been bumped up, and your new total falls back below 12, you can slide back down.

The MSHSL still could allow opt ups and opt downs based on policy.

EDIT: Here is what it would look like for the upcoming two year period:

Hermantown 16 points
Warroad 15 points
Mahtomedi 15 points
------------
Gentry 6 (have opted up)
Dodge County 6
Alexandria 4
Cathedral 4
East Grand Forks 3
Little Falls 3
Orono 3
Mankato East 2
Deleno 2
New Prague 1
Minneapolis 1
Northern Lakes 1
Litchfield/D-C 1
Hutchinson 1
Luverne 1
Northfield 1
Last edited by BSUBeaver on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

bardown27 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am
BHS

Waconia to 2AA
Two Rivers to 3AA
Cambridge to 7AA

Things are going to be interesting some movement Class A Sections are gonna need to be fixed 4A right now only has 6 teams curious to see some more major movement than normal in a 2 year cycle
If the above is true (I'm skeptical on NF, as someone on twitter pointed out the MSHSL enrollment sheet for 23/24 and 24/25 has NF 100 students below the AA cutoff of 1202), I see the sections as follows:

1 (9): Century, Farmington, JM, Lakeville North, Lakeville South, Mayo, Northfield, New Prague, Owatonna
3 (9): Two Rivers, AV/BV, CDH, Eagan, Eastview, Hastings, Park CG, Rosemount, STA
4 (9): East Ridge, Gentry, Hill, Irondale, Roseville, Stillwater, Tartan, WBL, Woodbury
5 (9): Anoka, Centennial, CP, MG, Moundsview, Osseo, Rogers, Spring Lake Park,TG
7 (9): Andover, Blaine, CI, Coon Rapids, Duluth East, Denfeld, Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, Rock Ridge
8 (9): Bemidji, Brained, Buffalo, Elk River, Moorhead, Roseau, Sartell, St. Cloud, STMA
What about Duluth Marshall?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Here is another Stab in the Dark at it...

I think New Prague is AA but they will be back in 2AA where they were two years ago. The above was missing Northern Edge & DM in 7AA

1 (9): Century, Farmington, JM, Lakeville North, Lakeville South, Mayo, Northfield, Owatonna, Hastings
2 (9): Chan, Chaska, EP, HF, New Prague, PL, Shakopee, Tonka, Jefferson
3 (9): Two Rivers, AV/BV, Eagan, Eastview, Park CG, Rosemount, STA, East Ridge, Gentry
4 (9): Hill, Irondale, Roseville, Stillwater, Tartan, WBL, Woodbury, Moundsview, Centennial
5 (9): Anoka, Blaine, CP, MG, Coon Rapids, Osseo, Rogers, Spring Lake Park,TG
6 (9): AHA, A/C, Benilde, Blake, CDH, Edina, Hopkins, St. Louis Park, Wayzata
7 (9): Andover, CI, Northern Edge, Duluth Marshall, Duluth East, Denfeld, Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, Rock Ridge
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Shot in the Dark for Class A

For 9 Equal Geographic base Sections

1A- (9) Albert Lea, Dodge County, La Crescent, Rochester Lourdes, Winona, Waseca, Austin, Faribault, MN River
2A- (9) Orono, Providence Academy, Delano, Southwest Christian, Breck, Mound Westonka, Bloomington Kennedy, Hutchinson, LDC
3A- (9) New Ulm, Luverne, Marshall, Windom, Fairmont, Worthington, Redwood Valley, Mankato East, Mankato West
4A- (9) Mahtomedi, St Paul Highland Park, St Paul Academy, Simley, South St Paul, St Paul Johnson, Red Wing, Chisago Lakes, MPLS
5A- (9) Monticello, St Cloud Cathedral, Princeton, Sauk Rapids, Pine City, Becker/Big Lake, Mora, Little Falls, River Lakes
6A- (9) Alexandria, Fergus Falls, Northern Lakes, Wadena, Morris Benson, Prairie Centre, Breckenridge/Wahpeton, Willmar, Detoit Lakes
7A- (9) Hermantown, Hibbing, Cloquet, Greenway, Proctor, International Falls, North Shore, Ely, Moose Lake
8A- (9) Warroad, East Grand Forks, Thief River Falls, Kittson County Central, Red Lake Falls, Bagley/Fosston, Park Rapids, Crookston, Lake of the Woods
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:48 am
bardown27 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am
BHS

Waconia to 2AA
Two Rivers to 3AA
Cambridge to 7AA

What about Duluth Marshall?
I thought I read on here earlier this season Marshall was going back down to A for the next cycle. Could be wrong
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I can’t say for hockey but the local football coaches have been informed what class they will be in, the districts they will play in are still being finalized.

For example, Rochester Mayo was informed they will be in 6A next cycle, meaning they are one of the top 32 schools and will play no local teams.

As for hockey if Northfield does get moved to 1AA, they become the immediate favorite and should get a pretty good upgrade to their schedule by getting some South Suburban schools. I don’t see any real upside to staying in A.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Wouldn't the upside be to try and win something first. Coming out of the South, it's not like they've enjoyed state-wide success. 8)
defense

Post by defense »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:34 pm Shot in the Dark for Class A

1A- (9) Albert Lea, Dodge County, La Crescent, Rochester Lourdes, Winona, Waseca, Austin, Faribault, MN River
2A- (9) Orono, Providence Academy, Delano, Southwest Christian, Breck, Mound Westonka, Bloomington Kennedy, Hutchinson, LDC
3A- (9) New Ulm, Luverne, Marshall, Windom, Fairmont, Worthington, Redwood Valley, Mankato East, Mankato West
4A- (9) Mahtomedi, St Paul Highland Park, St Paul Academy, Simley, South St Paul, St Paul Johnson, Red Wing, Chisago Lakes, MPLS
5A- (9) Monticello, St Cloud Cathedral, Princeton, Sauk Rapids, Pine City, Becker/Big Lake, Mora, Little Falls, River Lakes
6A- (9) Alexandria, Fergus Falls, Northern Lakes, Wadena, Morris Benson, Prairie Centre, Breckenridge/Wahpeton, Willmar, Detoit Lakes
7A- (9) Hermantown, Hibbing, Cloquet, Greenway, Proctor, International Falls, North Shore, Ely, Moose Lake
8A- (9) Warroad, East Grand Forks, Thief River Falls, Kittson County Central, Red Lake Falls, Bagley/Fosston, Park Rapids, Crookston, Lake of the Woods

I think Little Falls and Detroit Lakes need to be in section 6. it might not be possible, but that makes an interesting section imo.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

defense wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:02 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:34 pm Shot in the Dark for Class A

I think Little Falls and Detroit Lakes need to be in section 6. it might not be possible, but that makes an interesting section imo.
Agree with your statement. The above was just trying to make 8 equal 9 teams sections with what is left...MPLS in 4A is a big stretch also. Gave it a shot now curious to see the real thing on April 6th
Brodziak Fan Club

Here’s what I have for Class A in a 3-class system. This was definitely the toughest one to configure geographically!

1A
Austin
Dodge County
Rochester Lourdes
Rochester John Marshall
La Crescent-Hokah
Winona

2A
Mankato West
Minnesota River
Waseca
Faribault
Mound-Westonka
Bloomington Kennedy
Breck

3A
Luverne
Worthington
Fairmont
Windom
Marshall
Redwood Valley

4A
Red Wing
Simley
South St. Paul
St. Paul Highland Park
St. Paul Academy
St. Paul Johnson

5A
Sauk Rapids
Becker/Big Lake
Princeton
Northern Edge
Mora/Milaca
Pine City

6A
Willmar
Morris/Benson
River Lakes
Prairie Centre
Wadena
Breckenridge

7A
Moose Lake
Greenway
North Shore
Ely
International Falls
Northern Lakes

8A
Park Rapids
Bagley
Crookston
Red Lake Falls
Kittson Central
Lake of the Woods
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

1AAA
Northfield
Lakeville South
Lakeville North
Eastview
Rosemount
Hastings

2AAA
Holy Family
Eden Prairie
Chanhassen
Chaska
Shakopee
Prior Lake

3AAA
Holy Angels
Cretin-Derham Hall
St. Thomas Academy
Woodbury
East Ridge
Park of Cottage Grove

4AAA
Hill-Murray
Stillwater
Mahtomedi
White Bear Lake
Gentry Academy
Mounds View

5AAA
Totino-Grace
Champlin Park
Maple Grove
Rogers
St. Michael-Albertville
Buffalo

6AAA
Wayzata
Orono
Benilde-St. Margaret’s
Blake
Minnetonka
Edina

7AAA
Rock Ridge
Grand Rapids
Hermantown
Duluth East
Andover
Centennial

8AAA
Elk River
Moorhead
Bemidji
East Grand Forks
Roseau
Warroad
Would hate to see it come to 3 classes and water the tourney down. 24 teams get to state? Why don’t we just do four classes

Two class system is perfect for the amount of teams there are. Pretty easy to stop transfers by saying you can transfer but you can’t play games for 1 year (or play JV for 1 year) like NCAA used to do.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Could not agree more with stanleycup55 on how to deal with the growing number of transfers. You transfer, you sit a year.
jdh

Post by jdh »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:36 pm Mahtomedi is private?
Or charter?
Mahtomedi is a public school.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

jdh wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:45 am
elliott70 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:36 pm Mahtomedi is private?
Or charter?
Mahtomedi is a public school.
That's what I knew just questioning the post where they were referred to as a private.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Heard a rumor Tartan got approval for Class A any truth to that?