Games Friday 12-29-23

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Games Friday 12-29-23

Post by elliott70 »

International Falls vs Bismarck Century (N.D.) - West Fargo Sports Arena - Essentia Health West Fargo Winter Classic 11:00 AM CST
Mankato East vs Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato - Municipal Athletic Complex - Granite City Classic Showcase 11:30 AM CST

Kittson County Central vs St Paul Johnson - Ely Ice Arena - Ely Holiday Classic 12:00 PM CST
Moorhead vs St. Thomas Academy - Dakotah! Ice Center - The Tradition 12:00 PM CST

Rogers vs Lakeville South - Plymouth Ice Center - Premier Holiday Classic at the PIC 12:30 PM CST
Providence Academy vs Warroad - Gardens Arena - Hockeytown Holiday Classic 1:00 PM CST

Robbinsdale Armstrong/Cooper vs Elk River/Zimmerman - Furniture and Things Community Event Center 1:00 PM CST
Albert Lea vs Windom - Graham Arena - Rochester Kiwanis Hockey Festival [Blue] 1:15 PM CST

Bemidji vs St. Cloud - Municipal Athletic Complex - Granite City Classic Showcase 1:45 PM CST
Delano vs Greenway - Hodgins-Berardo Arena 2:00 PM CST

Bloomington Kennedy vs Princeton - Exchange Arena - Pine Country Bank Holiday Tournament 2:00 PM CST
Fargo South/Shanley (N.D) vs Dodge County - Graham Arena - Rochester Kiwanis Hockey Festival [Gold] 2:00 PM CST

Morris/Benson Area vs Prairie Centre - Benson Civic Center - MBA Storm Holiday Classic 2:00 PM CST
Rosemount vs Champlin Park - Maple Grove Community Center - Premier Holiday Classic In The Grove 2:30 PM CST

New Ulm vs Detroit Lakes - Fergus Falls Ice Arena - Fergus Falls Holiday Classic 2:30 PM CST
Chaska vs Eden Prairie - Dakotah! Ice Center - The Tradition 2:30 PM CST

Moose Lake Area vs Ely - Ely Ice Arena - Ely Holiday Classic 2:30 PM CST
Minnetonka vs Wayzata - Plymouth Ice Center - Premier Holiday Classic at the PIC 2:45 PM CST

Hermantown vs Shakopee - Shakopee Ice Arena 3:00 PM CST
Austin vs Luverne - Graham Arena - Rochester Kiwanis Hockey Festival [Blue] 3:30 PM CST

East Ridge vs Rochester Mayo - Graham Arena - Rochester Kiwanis Hockey Festival [Gold] 4:15 PM CST
Edina vs Cretin-Derham Hall - Dakotah! Ice Center - The Tradition 5:00 PM CST

Monticello vs Sauk Rapids-Rice - Municipal Athletic Complex - Granite City Classic Showcase 5:00 PM CST
Blake vs Andover - Maple Grove Community Center - Premier Holiday Classic in the Grove 5:00 PM CST

Holy Angels vs Benilde-St. Margaret's - St. Louis Park Rec Center - Premier Holiday Classic In The Park 5:00 PM CST
Rochester Lourdes vs La Crescent-Hokah - Graham Arena - Rochester Kiwanis Hockey Festival [Blue] 5:45 PM CST

Eagan vs Rochester Century/JM - Graham Arena - Rochester Kiwanis Hockey Festival [Gold] 6:30 PM CST
Fort Frances (Ontario) vs Fergus Falls - Fergus Falls Ice Arena - Fergus Falls Holiday Classic 7:00 PM CST

River Lakes vs Little Falls - Exchange Arena - Pine Country Bank Holiday Tournament 7:00 PM CST
Sartell vs St. Cloud Cathedral - Municipal Athletic Complex - Granite City Classic Showcase 7:15 PM CST

Lakeville North vs Prior Lake - Dakotah! Ice Center - The Tradition 7:15 PM CST
Chanhassen vs Hill-Murray - St. Louis Park Rec Center - Premier Holiday Classic In The Park 7:30 PM CST

Maple Grove vs Holy Family - Maple Grove Community Center - Premier Holiday Classic In The Grove 7:30 PM CST
Gov78

Re: games friday 12-19-23

Post by Gov78 »

Typo, Friday 12/19?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Gov78 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:08 am Typo, Friday 12/19?
Yeah, I had to edit this. Date was wrong and Mark's Caps Lock key was broken :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:45 am
Gov78 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:08 am Typo, Friday 12/19?
Yeah, I had to edit this. Date was wrong and Mark's Caps Lock key was broken :mrgreen:

Lee
It's not the keys, it is Mark that is broken (or very old).
headsupsticksdown

Re: Games Friday 12-29-23

Post by headsupsticksdown »

EP continues to roll, now up 7-1 on Chaska. I know the level of competition hasn’t been great in the Tradition (LN, MHD), but I don’t think I’ve seen an EP team put this many on the boards in a long time. I didn’t have a ton of expectations for them coming into the season and have been on the fence since Twig took over but they are scrappy on the puck and are getting pucks to the net at will over the past few weeks. Tough stretch coming up after the break so that should tell a lot…
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

End of 2nd.

SKIPPERS 0 (SOG 15)
TROJANS 0 (SOG 13)
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

End of 3rd. Going to OT!

SKIPPERS 1
TROJANS 1
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Final from the PIC.

SKIPPERS 1
TROJANS 1
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Maple Grove 5-3 over Holy Family. It was 2-0 HF after two and HF scored a quick one in 3rd period to make it 3-0. MG then went insane, completely took over the game, and scored 5 straight.

MG is on fire. Their “rebuild” this year is more accurately a “reload.” The program’s depth is ridiculous. And what makes it awesome is that—unlike the Metro Area All Stars (I refuse to call them Minnetonka)—damn near every kid on MG played youth hockey in Maple Grove. Only third line senior Joey Imgrund, who moved here from Colorado before his junior year, didn’t play youth hockey in MG. Many seniors on the team playing big roles this year were either JV or saw very little varsity play last year. One year of varsity action wouldn’t be good enough for most people these days, but it’s working in the Grove.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Maybe one day you'll get over it.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:55 pm Maybe one day you'll get over it.
Over what? Tonka recruiting players from all over the place and screwing over local kids who play for one of the largest youth programs in the state? No, I think sooner than later, MSHSL comes down hard on Goldsworthy and the Tonka girls’ coach. They should both be run out of this state and banned from ever coaching high school hockey again. They are the antithesis of what high school hockey is supposed to be all about. Gross.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

SpreadOut! wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:18 am
Over what? Tonka recruiting players from all over the place and screwing over local kids who play for one of the largest youth programs in the state? No, I think sooner than later, MSHSL comes down hard on Goldsworthy and the Tonka girls’ coach. They should both be run out of this state and banned from ever coaching high school hockey again. They are the antithesis of what high school hockey is supposed to be all about. Gross.
So, this is intriguing. Is this an AD issue, an association issue? It surely is a parent issue to an extent. The logical question is at the youth level, how do you prevent this from happening? If the same rule applies to a kid moving from out of state to a kid who feels the next opportunity is up the road and either buys or rents a place it’s unfortunately legit. I’ve spoken to both parents and people associated with said association and although some hate kids moving in and taking Johnny’s spot, they also feel their process (tryouts, etc.) are accurate so if it comes down to scores and who’s better, if said move in earns the spot it’s theirs. Meaning no loophole allowing a move in. Again, this is at the youth level. Associations do have the ability to shoot down a transfer (don’t know if this only applies to waivers) as I know there were several kids that tried to jump into a West Metro non Tonka association and all were shot down by the board.

But all bets are off at the high school level so my question is is this something that comes from the AD down or do you think Goldsworthy really is that sleazy? I have my own opinions here as I have heard due to his old gig he even manages to pop in showing his mug down in Northfield as well. Look out Raiders!!! 😂
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:06 pm
So, this is intriguing. Is this an AD issue, an association issue? It surely is a parent issue to an extent. The logical question is at the youth level, how do you prevent this from happening? If the same rule applies to a kid moving from out of state to a kid who feels the next opportunity is up the road and either buys or rents a place it’s unfortunately legit. I’ve spoken to both parents and people associated with said association and although some hate kids moving in and taking Johnny’s spot, they also feel their process (tryouts, etc.) are accurate so if it comes down to scores and who’s better, if said move in earns the spot it’s theirs. Meaning no loophole allowing a move in. Again, this is at the youth level. Associations do have the ability to shoot down a transfer (don’t know if this only applies to waivers) as I know there were several kids that tried to jump into a West Metro non Tonka association and all were shot down by the board.

But all bets are off at the high school level so my question is is this something that comes from the AD down or do you think Goldsworthy really is that sleazy? I have my own opinions here as I have heard due to his old gig he even manages to pop in showing his mug down in Northfield as well. Look out Raiders!!! 😂
At Tonka High it’s clearly led by the two high school coaches and blessed by the AD and I assume principal. The state of journalism in Minnesota and nationwide is poor, but I’d think some enterprising reporter at some point would want to report on all the crap Tonka does to recruit and make kids eligible for a transfer. How many of the parents of these kids rent an apartment for them in school district boundaries to be eligible? And, how many of these kids actually sleep in the apartment at night? Everyone knows Tonka recruits. It’s not like it’s a secret. Justin Guard on KFAN, whose kids play youth hockey in Tonka, even joked about the other day, saying “my kids play hockey in Tonka but will get bumped out by recruits in high school so if there are any private schools in the west metro looking for players look me up.” I once DMed a sports reporter here in the Twin Cities about it and he acknowledged he knows about it but didn’t say he was interested in doing anything about it. Why won’t any other coaches speak out against Goldsworthy?
rangerforme

Post by rangerforme »

You can't with a straight face say kids that would be first line, big minute, PP kids on a lessor program don't move to Tonka their sohp, junior, senior years without some 'assurance' from said coach they will make the team and play a role on the team. Which is definition of cheating/recruiting, etc.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Open enrollment opens up all kinds of opportunities for MN students and 5,000 of the 11,000 students attending Minnetonka schools are there via open enrollment. Transfers must follow specific rules so if you are aware of specific rule violations please share them.

Recruiting in one form or another has been happening in MN high schools for decades from the early days of offering dad a job in a new town if Johnny will play for the local team to the private schools being admitted to the MSHSL and cherry picking the area high school teams to open enrollment and then the expanded transfer rules.

How long until this becomes more like the NCAA transfer portal or something similar?
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Gov78 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:24 pm Open enrollment opens up all kinds of opportunities for MN students and 5,000 of the 11,000 students attending Minnetonka schools are there via open enrollment. Transfers must follow specific rules so if you are aware of specific rule violations please share them.

Recruiting in one form or another has been happening in MN high schools for decades from the early days of offering dad a job in a new town if Johnny will play for the local team to the private schools being admitted to the MSHSL and cherry picking the area high school teams to open enrollment and then the expanded transfer rules.

How long until this becomes more like the NCAA transfer portal or something similar?
Even with open enrollment, there are eligibility rules. Many of these players for Tonka played for other high school teams before open enrolling/transferring. To be eligible to play immediately—like they all have done—they need to move. This tells me their parents are renting them apartments. I’d be curious to know if the players are actually living in said apartments. Tonka is unquestionably gaming the system, sprinting through loopholes. Goldsworthy should be shunned and run out of town. He’s a cancer to the game.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

SpreadOut! wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:54 pm

At Tonka High it’s clearly led by the two high school coaches and blessed by the AD and I assume principal. The state of journalism in Minnesota and nationwide is poor, but I’d think some enterprising reporter at some point would want to report on all the crap Tonka does to recruit and make kids eligible for a transfer. How many of the parents of these kids rent an apartment for them in school district boundaries to be eligible? And, how many of these kids actually sleep in the apartment at night? Everyone knows Tonka recruits. It’s not like it’s a secret. Justin Guard on KFAN, whose kids play youth hockey in Tonka, even joked about the other day, saying “my kids play hockey in Tonka but will get bumped out by recruits in high school so if there are any private schools in the west metro looking for players look me up.” I once DMed a sports reporter here in the Twin Cities about it and he acknowledged he knows about it but didn’t say he was interested in doing anything about it. Why won’t any other coaches speak out against Goldsworthy?
If they are breaking rules by all means lobby to have the rules changed and/or mete out some form of appropriate punishment to those involved.

While it's obvious there are kids transferring in, there is very little else of fact in this post to hang your hat upon. Even what you said Guard joked about doesn't allude to actual rule breaking. I mean "all the crap they do" surely you have the goods so why not share the specifics?
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:15 am
SpreadOut! wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:54 pm

If they are breaking rules by all means lobby to have the rules changed and/or mete out some form of appropriate punishment to those involved.

While it's obvious there are kids transferring in, there is very little else of fact in this post to hang your hat upon. Even what you said Guard joked about doesn't allude to actual rule breaking. I mean "all the crap they do" surely you have the goods so why not share the specifics?
How are kids who played for other high schools transferring to Tonka with immediate eligibility? To do this, you have to move, which tells me their parents are renting them an apartment in Tonka boundaries (you think they are actually sleeping there every nigh?), they moved in with another family who lives within the boundaries, or they actually moved with their families (the least likely option of these three). Do you think this lives up to the spirit of what high school hockey in Minnesota is supposed to be all about? You know damn well these kids/families wouldn’t make this kind of huge, life altering move without some guarantees from Goldsworthy.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Maybe we need a Minnetonka Thread similar to the Hermantown Thread where people can air their grievances/defenses about the Skippers and prevent threads--like this one--from being hijacked.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Maybe….. instead of locking threads….just delete the Minnetonka posts showing up in a 1AA/8AA thread!

As someone who has been banned…. Maybe use that on others hijacking a topic.

Since it is locked….. I can’t respond that Mayo is a 6A football school meaning it is among the 32 largest schools in the state and the Century/John Marshall co-op is (given the free/reduced lunch multiple) is one of the biggest programs in the state in terms of enrollment, if not the biggest. So, neither are going to A anytime soon.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I commented on the top team because I thought the inference of the thread was the disparity between them and the 2 sections mentioned. My bad.