Games of the Night

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

Re: Games of the Night

Post by Sparlimb »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 am Crazy Night!
HF needs overtime to beat Proctor
Northfield (Puppe) over BSM
Andover needs OT vs Maple Grove- Then Andover loses to orono
The only beating was Minnetonka vs Wayzata.
Edina loses to Lakeville South-----Lakeville South who lost to Farmington!!#@!@. Who lost to Tonka 9-0. Who lost to edina 1-0

This season is Bonkers with scores.
Its a fun year. My HM team gets Andover again tomorrow, no score will surprise me (unless either team has 6 or more goals).

There's going to be a legit 6 teams that could win it all at state this year.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

what do I know. 5-2 Andover after 2. 6 goal is within reach!
girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever »

Biggest Night in Girls hockey of the year!

Edina vs Andover
Tonka vs Hill Murray
BSM vs EP
Woodbury vs Stillwater

Honestly, State Seedings will become clear this evening if the teams are not upset in sections.

Tonka wins #1, Hill #2
HM wins #1, Tonka #2
Andover wins #3
Edina wins #3
It's possible that if Edina loses they could fall to a #5.

I don't believe Northfield or Centennial should be ranked. They have not played any of the top teams. And I don't think BSM can beat Edina when it matters. Finally, Stillwater needs a bounce back game. #7 will make sure they are ready to go.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:03 am Biggest Night in Girls hockey of the year!

Edina vs Andover
Tonka vs Hill Murray
BSM vs EP
Woodbury vs Stillwater

Honestly, State Seedings will become clear this evening if the teams are not upset in sections.

Tonka wins #1, Hill #2
HM wins #1, Tonka #2
Andover wins #3
Edina wins #3
It's possible that if Edina loses they could fall to a #5.

I don't believe Northfield or Centennial should be ranked. They have not played any of the top teams. And I don't think BSM can beat Edina when it matters. Finally, Stillwater needs a bounce back game. #7 will make sure they are ready to go.
Watch out for the Lakeville teams. North and South play Tuesday after tying earlier in the season. If the Cougars get by North and Centennial next week, them win Section 1 you can make a case for them to be in the top 5.

With respect to #7 having Stillwater ready to go, I don't see it. Her team has lost and tied their last two home games to Roseville/Maht and Woodbury, giving up 9 goals in the process. They haven't made it out of the section semi's the last two years and I sure don't see them coming out of 4AA this year either.
girlshockey4ever

Ground Control to Northfield: "Welcome back to earth."

If and it's a big if they make it to the state tournament, they will not be a seeded team after losing last night.

Tonka
Andover
Hill
Edina
Moorhead
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Very likely. The Spuds have put together a very nice season. Centennial has also had a great year, albeit without the signature win. Not sure why Andover only plays Centennial once as a conference foe and then plays Class A schools Orono and P/H as well as Eden Prairie. Would have done the Cougars a solid by playing them a second time this season (3-3 tie back in November)
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:50 am Ground Control to Northfield: "Welcome back to earth."
Dodge County looks like they could make a run at the class A title. They crushed Northfield (SOG: 42-12) and had very competitive games with Orono and Centennial. Not sure how dependable the goaltending is but they have a few nice skaters.

Are they seeding all 8 teams this year? Or was that voted down? Or maybe starts next year? I vaguely remember reading about that. The 2-4 seeds will be quite the debate between Andover/Edina/Hill. Right now I'd go:

1 Tonka
2 Hill
3 Andover
4 Edina
5 North
6 Moorhead
7 Winner of South/Centennial this weekend
8 Loser of South/Centennial this weekend (Or Maple Grove)
girlshockey4ever

Whoa Whoa Whoa my friends.

Are we sleeping on Stillwater? Are we Crowning South? The Red Knights?? Fun times ahead.

Also.....sleeper and I mean super dark horse pick. Roseau.
girlshockey4ever

While I agree with this:

1 Tonka
2 Hill
3 Andover
4 Edina
5 North
6 Moorhead
7 Winner of South/Centennial this weekend
8 Loser of South/Centennial this weekend (Or Maple Grove)

Let me throw out The 2024 Upset Central Tournament:

1. Andover- No chance of being upset
2. BSM
3. Stillwater
4. Maple Grove
5. Farmington (beat south already)
6. Roseau
7. EP
8. CDH

Being honest I think 2, 3, 4, 6 are actually possible. Not likely, but possible. Go!
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Upset chances:

1 Northfield - had them as the favorite prior to Tuesday
1 Farmington - since the Tonka thumping they've been mediocre to bad; young team, good future
2 EP - would love to see Tonka not make it but ain't happening
2 HF - beat every cupcake on their schedule, lost to almost every decent/good team
3 CDH - no signature wins, beat BSM tonight and change my mind
4 Stillwater - any other section they'd have a strong shot, I just don't see Hill losing
5 Maple Grove - practically a coin flip against Centennial
6 BSM - definitely could beat Edina, I'd put them at +130
8 Roseau - not seeing it, had a handful of tough opponents and lost them all, including twice to Moorhead (I know, I know, tough to beat someone 3 times...)

Safest bets to make it to state:
1 Andover
2 Tonka
3 Moorhead
4 Hill
5 North
6 South
7 Edina
8 Centennial
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I was telling some folks at a game the other day, this 8 team field in AA may be the deepest ever. It is entirely likely all 8 sections send someone with 5 or less losses. Anything can happen. Rankings have dumped HM down to like 7th for losing to Andover and Tonka. Except they had already beat both earlier in the year. I still think Tonka should be the favorite (they handled HM in the game I watched fairly well), but it all depends on who scores first and who's goalie decides to come up huge. Should be a great tournament.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:06 am I was telling some folks at a game the other day, this 8 team field in AA may be the deepest ever. It is entirely likely all 8 sections send someone with 5 or less losses. Anything can happen. Rankings have dumped HM down to like 7th for losing to Andover and Tonka. Except they had already beat both earlier in the year. I still think Tonka should be the favorite (they handled HM in the game I watched fairly well), but it all depends on who scores first and who's goalie decides to come up huge. Should be a great tournament.
I'm wondering if Doc /LSQRANK can generate a strength of schedule rankings. Some of the teams that might make the state tournament field (Northfield, Centennial/SLP, Lakeville North or South), look like they had some pretty easy schedules compared to the schedules of Minnetonka, Andover, Hill Murray, Edina, Benilde, Moorhead, Maple Grove.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

Lace'emUp wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:28 am
Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:06 am I was telling some folks at a game the other day, this 8 team field in AA may be the deepest ever. It is entirely likely all 8 sections send someone with 5 or less losses. Anything can happen. Rankings have dumped HM down to like 7th for losing to Andover and Tonka. Except they had already beat both earlier in the year. I still think Tonka should be the favorite (they handled HM in the game I watched fairly well), but it all depends on who scores first and who's goalie decides to come up huge. Should be a great tournament.
I'm wondering if Doc /LSQRANK can generate a strength of schedule rankings. Some of the teams that might make the state tournament field (Northfield, Centennial/SLP, Lakeville North or South), look like they had some pretty easy schedules compared to the schedules of Minnetonka, Andover, Hill Murray, Edina, Benilde, Moorhead, Maple Grove.
SOS (Pagestat as of 2/3/24) https://www.leepagen.com/strength-g.htm
1 ANDOVER
2 EDINA
3 MINNETONKA
4 HILL MURRAY
6 MAPLE GROVE
11 BENILDE ST MARGARETS
17 MOORHEAD
21 CENTENNIAL/SPRING LAKE PARK
22 LAKEVILLE NORTH
32 LAKEVILLE SOUTH
70 NORTHFIELD
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

pipersniper12 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:35 pm
Lace'emUp wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:28 am
SOS (Pagestat as of 2/3/24) https://www.leepagen.com/strength-g.htm
1 ANDOVER
2 EDINA
3 MINNETONKA
4 HILL MURRAY
6 MAPLE GROVE
11 BENILDE ST MARGARETS
17 MOORHEAD
21 CENTENNIAL/SPRING LAKE PARK
22 LAKEVILLE NORTH
32 LAKEVILLE SOUTH
70 NORTHFIELD
BOOM! Confirmed my suspicions. Thanks! (though it did seem like Moorhead schedule was maybe stronger than 17)
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

SOS for South Suburban teams in particular is a bit of a vacuum as over 70% of their games are against one another. But I agree with what I think you're hinting at, I fully expect both North and South to make it but will be overwhelmed by the top teams at state. (Even though they both have a quality win this year against Hill and Edina.)
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Eagles93 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:31 pm SOS for South Suburban teams in particular is a bit of a vacuum as over 70% of their games are against one another. But I agree with what I think you're hinting at, I fully expect both North and South to make it but will be overwhelmed by the top teams at state. (Even though they both have a quality win this year against Hill and Edina.)
Agreed. Likewise, Northfield has one quality win against Benilde, and Centennial/SLP has a couple (Maple Grove and Lakeville South). The more I looked at Moorhead, they really didn't have a much harder schedule than Centennial/SLP or the Lakeville Schools (as the rankings showed). They only had two quality wins, both against Maple Grove.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Do we think there has ever been a defending state champ that has lost in the QF of sections the next year? Not trying to pick on Gentry who earned their title last year by beating everyone, but seems a really unusual feat to lose this early.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Moorhead's last loss was in December to Minnetonka 2-1. Their goals against was less than 1.5 a game and they have only given up 3 goals once. The Roseau Rams put up 4 in the third period and will be representing 8AA in St. Paul.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Green and White Fan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:43 am Moorhead's last loss was in December to Minnetonka 2-1. Their goals against was less than 1.5 a game and they have only given up 3 goals once. The Roseau Rams put up 4 in the third period and will be representing 8AA in St. Paul.
A very nice win for the Rams. They always represent well. See you Thursday.
girlshockey4ever

Gutsy comeback by both the Rams and the LVSH Cougars. Cougars score 3 in the third only to give up a goal with less than a minute. Watched the game online, it looked like a crazy atmosphere.

Tough loss for the Spuds as they had a wonderful season.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Eagles93 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:08 pm Dodge County looks like they could make a run at the class A title. They crushed Northfield (SOG: 42-12) and had very competitive games with Orono and Centennial. Not sure how dependable the goaltending is but they have a few nice skaters.
I'd say today answered my question, goaltending is more than dependable.