NTDP Eval Camp

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

westsidescout

NTDP Eval Camp

Post by westsidescout »

I see the following MN 2008's have been invited to the USA Hockey NTDP Eval Camp next week:

Forwards:
Dakotah Bailey - Gentry Academy
Mikey Berchild - SSM Prep
Wyatt Cullen - Moorhead BAA
Jimmy Egan - Mahtomedi
Sammy Nelson - Maple Grove BAA
Nathaniel Pederson - Shakopee
Victor Plante - Hermantown (Chicago Mission)
Parker Trottier - SSM U16

Defense:
Nathaniel Celski - WBL
AJ Francisco - Hermantown
Logan Lutner - Maple Grove

Goalies:
Luke Carrithers - Maple Grove (Sioux Falls U16)
Kaenan Smith - Duluth Marshall
Xavier Wendt - SSM U15
westsidescout

Re: NTDP Eval Camp

Post by westsidescout »

14 of the 47 kids chosen are from The State of Hockey, pretty impressive.

As far as locks to make team I'd go with: Berchild, Fransisco and Trottier.

90% certainty: Wendt & Lutner

Big Brother already being there always helps / Dad was NHL'er so good chance they make it connection: Plante, Nelson & Cullen

Dark Horses: Egan, Bailey & Carrithers
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

One glaring omission is Cole Bumgarner out of Rogers, he was not offered a spot at NTDP evaluation camp and subsequently tendered with the Fargo Force last weekend.

The other glaring omission in my opinion is Zac Zimmerman...kid lead Moorhead HS in scoring as a 9th grader but he was ultimately passed over for Cullen. Not to take anything away from Cullen, terrific player but IMO Zimmerman is better at this moment in time.

A few others I thought who might have had a chance but did not make list:
Griffin Sturm - D - St Cloud Cathedral (size may have hindered)
Tyler McCracken - D - Rosemount (Shattuck) (size and being hurt most of last summer may have been a factor)
Henry Chmiel - D - Woodbury (Shattuck)
Cash Cruitt - G - Andover
Riley Zupfer - F - Hill-Murray
Joe Erickson - F - Blake
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

If you're a parent of one of these kids understand this

1. You don't need the NDTP Program - Your Kid doesn't need the NDTP program
2. Do you really want to ship your 16 year old kid off to live with strangers in Michigan?
3. Did you just watch the High School State tournament? I guarantee you your son did and hopes to play in it for the next three years.
4. What are you and your spouse going to do when he's gone? I'll tell you what...You're going to sit around the table staring at the each other wondering what the F you just did.... and wow how youth hockey flew right by you
5. If you're kid doesn't have that NHL last name and isn't currently rated as a top 20 North American, there's a very, very, very good chance that if he goes to the NDTP program he's going to be the 3rd and 4th line grinder..... versus top gun on his high school team

If you're still not listening, God bless you...If you are....Thank you.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

Well, I wasn't too far off...Cullen, Plante, Nelson (Dads / Bros group), Trottier, Berchild, Lutner, Fransisco and Carrithers make the NTDP. I was surprised that Wendt wasn't offered given his resume the last year and a half.
The51

Post by The51 »

yesiplayedhockey wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:24 am If you're a parent of one of these kids understand this

1. You don't need the NDTP Program - Your Kid doesn't need the NDTP program
2. Do you really want to ship your 16 year old kid off to live with strangers in Michigan?
3. Did you just watch the High School State tournament? I guarantee you your son did and hopes to play in it for the next three years.
4. What are you and your spouse going to do when he's gone? I'll tell you what...You're going to sit around the table staring at the each other wondering what the F you just did.... and wow how youth hockey flew right by you
5. If you're kid doesn't have that NHL last name and isn't currently rated as a top 20 North American, there's a very, very, very good chance that if he goes to the NDTP program he's going to be the 3rd and 4th line grinder..... versus top gun on his high school team

If you're still not listening, God bless you...If you are....Thank you.
17 of the 20 skaters are currently ranked on the midterm central scouting and all 22 players (including goalies) are Division 1 committed. Those kids have played 110 games over the past 2 years (more than a kid who made varsity as a freshman would play in his entire high school career) against competition that is miles above high school competition. You would have to be a complete moron to pass up an NTDP spot.
yesiplayedhockey

Do you realize you just called a ton of great Minnesota hockey players complete morons
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

yesiplayedhockey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:03 am 51

Do you realize you just called a ton of great Minnesota hockey players complete morons
I believe 51 said to “pass up a spot”. How many great MN hockey players were offered a spot and declined to play ntdp over high school hockey instead? I am sure there is maybe someone that I haven’t heard about and had unique reasons, but off top head I don’t know of one who went to the tryout and declined the offer.

In the end, what is lost is these kids do get the opportunity to play for their country in international competition. They travel the world 2-3 times a year as under 17s and then culminating playing for their country in u18 world championships. That is a cool honor and experience.

Mnhsl has some really cool experiences too including playing at the X. But only 8 AA teams play at the X and as you saw this year the 6 of the top 7 teams were in the same section. That said, a Saturday night rivalry game in January in front of a lively full crowd is really cool and memorable.

So if you dont make the ntdp, high school is a great experience. But playing 2 yrs with USA on your chest in international competition is pretty attractive and most likely a better development path. They get 8 months of training in Plymouth, Michigan and what they offer at the US program I am guessing has better training/development than the 3 month high school season coaching and training offers.

Clearly kids are overlooked in the ntdp process as they are projecting out 2 years for world 18s and eventually part of World Junior Team. Many MN not even offered a tryout pass their peers who make the ntdp.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

HockeyTalk2020 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 am
yesiplayedhockey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:03 am 51

I believe 51 said to “pass up a spot”. How many great MN hockey players were offered a spot and declined to play ntdp over high school hockey instead? I am sure there is maybe someone that I haven’t heard about and had unique reasons, but off top head I don’t know of one who went to the tryout and declined the offer.
Off the top of my head recently
Jaxon Nelson (Luverne)
Blake Biondi (Hermantown)
Jack Smith (SCC)

They were all Class A kids that were offered a spot with the program and turned it down.

I am sure there are more. Just a quick Class A group of kids who said no.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Like Robert Frost's poem, 'The Road not Taken', whenever a person is facing a choice between two options, one will leave things undone or missed out on in life.
Leaving for the national camp offers a lot as shown in a previous post. Will it improve their skills - hockey skills, pretty sure it does to a degree.
Life experiences - definitely a different variety.
Hockey opportunity - perhaps - most have already committed to a college hockey career.

What will they give up - well, home for starters, 16 is an age when the influence of parents, relatives, neighbors, friends can be very strong.
Can they get the same thing miles from home, sure, possibly.
What else will they lose?
Hanging with friends, homecoming, prom, birthday and other parties, holidays, you know, the usual things we generally take for granted.
What is gained, what is lost?

51 is right.
So is yesiplayed.

It's a personal thing, no right, no wrong.
Just be sure to weigh your options and decide what is best for your kid and less so for you.

Good luck to all of them.
Last edited by elliott70 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:25 pm Like Robert Frost's poem, 'The Road not Taken', whenever a person is facing a choice between two options, one will leave things undone or missed out on in life.
=D>
Be kind. Rewind.
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:25 pm Like Robert Frost's poem, 'The Road not Taken', whenever a person is facing a choice between two options, one will leave things undone or missed out on in life.
Leaving for the national camp offers a lot as shown in a previous post. Will it improve their skills - hockey skills, pretty sure it does to a degree.
Life experiences - definitely a different variety.
Hockey opportunity - perhaps - most have already committed to a college hockey career.

What will they give up - well, home for starters, 16 is an age when the influence of parents, relatives, neighbors, friends can be very strong.
Can they get the same thing miles from home, sure, possibly.
What else will they lose?
Hanging with friends, homecoming, prom, birthday and other parties, holidays, you know, the usual things we generally take for granted.
What is gained, what is lost?

510is right.
So is yesiplayed.

It's a personal thing, no right, no wrong.
Just be sure to weigh your options an decide what is best for your kid and less so for you.

Good luck to all of them.
I can't compete with a Robert Frost reference!

Thank you Class A guy for the 3 you rattled off and I'll take your word they were offered a spot and turned it down. I'm sure there are more too.

Agreed Elliot, there are a lot of things a 16-year-old is sacrificing leaving home.

That said, one thing High School does offer is more access to getting into trouble and poor choices. You don't have to look very far every year at the high school level to learn what players are "living it up" being the big man on campus.

Here are my 2 cents on what kids who leave mnshl early will "lose" as suggested.
1. "hanging with friends"- do kids leaving high school not develop new friendships or stay in touch with old ones if they choose to leave?
2. "Homecoming/Prom"- for those of us who may be 20-40+ years away from our Prom years, how many times do you sit back and tell stories with your buddies about your Senior Prom? Usually, you look back and it and think how little it meant.
3. "Birthdays"- you can celebrate your birthday with family anytime you are home.
4. "Other Parties"- and here is where many high school dreams get sidetracked by poor decisions and dwindling commitment to getting better.

I'm not suggesting leaving is the end all be all...but I think people heavily dismiss kids who leave mnshl saying they are making a mistake and missing out.
yesiplayedhockey

All good stuff and let's keep this a healthy discussion. The NDTP for all it's "perceived" value does have stories of kids going there with big dreams only to find themselves watching games from the sidelines or playing 4th line minutes. NDTP is a development program but that doesn't mean the ice time is equally shared. I know this may shock people but yes there are rumors that there is a lot of politics at the program. Both in picking the teams and then dishing out the ice time.

Here is a list of some Minnesota kids who went to the NDTP program and where they are at today. As you can see, it's hard to make it to the NHL let alone stay in the NHL. With the exception of the 98's, I would say that Minnesota kids who went to the program had okay/mild success playing in the NHL....I do think in the future we will see a couple more years like the 98's, but there are no guarantees. (my apologies in advance for any errors or if I missed anyone)...

1995 Birth Year
Greg Ausmus - 3 years ECHL- Retired
Hudson Fasching -100 NHL Games
Clint Lewis - 2 years ECHl -retired
‘Hunter Miska -6 NHL Games - ECHL, AHL and now DEL
Luke Voltin - 4 years NCAA retired

Shane Gersich - 3 NHL games, AHL, Europe
Jack Glover - ECHL, AHL, Czech, Mestis
Ryan Collins - AHL -retired

No kids selected/accepted...

Joey Anderson -100+ NHL games, 100 AHL games
Kiefer Bellows -50 NHL games 100+ AHL
Matt Hellickson - AHL, ECHL
Ryan Lindgren - 200+ NHL games
Jake Oettinger - 100+ NHL games

Mikey Anderson -100+ NHL games
Nate Knoepke - ECHL
Grant Mishmash - AHL,ECHL, Norway
Scott Reedy - 35 NHL games 100+ AHL games

Keegan Karki -WHL, ECHL retired
Trevor Janicke - 5th year NCAA
Gavin Hain - AHL-1st year
K'Andre Miller - 200+ NHL games

Drew Helleson -100+ games AHL

Brock Faber- 100 NHL Games
Connor Kelley - 4th year NCAA

Justin Janicke -3rd year playing NCAA
Chaz Lucius -29 AHL Games
Jake Martin -2 year playing NCAA

I'll stop there because the rest of the years the kids are still in college
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

I’m about as pro-MN high school hockey as they come, but it’s insane to say everyone who chooses NTDP over MN high school hockey is a moron.

Case in point: Luke Carrithers just made NTDP as a goalie. If he stayed in high school at Maple Grove he would have split time on JV as a sophomore this past season. Everyone in Maple Grove knew junior Zach Price was gonna be the starter in net this season for Maple Grove. Carrithers, as a first year peewee and first year Bantam for Osseo-Maple Grove, was always the #2 behind Price, who is a year older. There was no question that Coach Bergland was gonna play Price over Carrithers this year.

So, Carrithers made the painful decision to leave Maple Grove High School and play for Sioux Falls Power this past season, and do school online. In doing so, he got noticed, got invited to the NTDP tryout, and made the team. As a result, next season, instead of playing another year of JV and being Price’s backup had he stayed at Maple Grove, he will play for NTDP in front of D1 and NHL scouts every night.

So, did Carrithers make the right decision? I think the answer is obvious.
yesiplayedhockey

Great story Spread...But to clarify I never said you're a moron if you pass on NDTP jersey....51 said you''d be complete moron if you didn't take one.. I simply pointed out that Minnesota kids don't necessary need it....That it's not all duckies and bunnies....

But you are right ....Goalie's are always the exception and I think leaving high school for a good junior program is ALWAYS something to consider. It's almost impossible to accurately predict the path of a 10th, 11th or even 12th grade goalie.

1. In HS all you really are is a shooting target...Very few programs have the time and resources to offer quality goalie coaching

2. Shot's in practice and in a game are a fraction as hard as they are in juniors

3. He's going to get shelled his first year at the NDTP program as the younger kids play the older USHL teams.... which is a great thing for his development.

Also keep in mind, today goalies are USUALLY the oldest kids on the college team. Yes there are freaks and exceptions but this young man is most likely destined for 2 years on the NDTP program then 2-3 years on a USHL/junior team. Not saying that's bad, but with open portal, colleges have the luxury of hand picking older goalies from anywhere...Another great resource for goalies is the BCHL... A high offensive league where he could face 40-50 shots in a game....

Thanks for the update, will follow the kid.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

yesiplayedhockey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am Great story Spread...But to clarify I never said you're a moron if you pass on NDTP jersey....51 said you''d be complete moron if you didn't take one.. I simply pointed out that Minnesota kids don't necessary need it....That it's not all duckies and bunnies....

But you are right ....Goalie's are always the exception and I think leaving high school for a good junior program is ALWAYS something to consider. It's almost impossible to accurately predict the path of a 10th, 11th or even 12th grade goalie.

1. In HS all you really are is a shooting target...Very few programs have the time and resources to offer quality goalie coaching

2. Shot's in practice and in a game are a fraction as hard as they are in juniors

3. He's going to get shelled his first year at the NDTP program as the younger kids play the older USHL teams.... which is a great thing for his development.

Also keep in mind, today goalies are USUALLY the oldest kids on the college team. Yes there are freaks and exceptions but this young man is most likely destined for 2 years on the NDTP program then 2-3 years on a USHL/junior team. Not saying that's bad, but with open portal, colleges have the luxury of hand picking older goalies from anywhere...Another great resource for goalies is the BCHL... A high offensive league where he could face 40-50 shots in a game....

Thanks for the update, will follow the kid.
Thanks. And sorry for the confusion.
BP

Post by BP »

Roster is out for the 17's- here are the players with MN ties:

Mikey Berchild
Wyatt Cullen
Sammy Nelson
Victor Plante
Parker Trottier
AJ Francisco
Logan Lutner