2024-25 Transfer Watch List

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

2024-25 Transfer Watch List

Post by WestMetro »

Thought someone started a thread for this already, but couldn't find any .

End of school year, always a few pieces of information out there about transfers for next year

Heard that HF> NCA 's Mason Grinnell may be wearing the Red Knight uni next season , our friend MinnScout would likely be able to confirm

Others - any info ?
Cookster

Re: 2024-25 Transfer Watch List

Post by Cookster »

I heard that Tavin Dobchuck, a 9th grade EP resident, who went to school at Holy Family last year was spotted in Tonka gear and may be transferring there.

EP used to have people transfer in, now they are transferring out, and Tonka is getting the transfers
BP

Post by BP »

Hayden Reierson (Moorhead) and Connor Wang (Holy Family) to NCA
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Cookster wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:19 am I heard that Tavin Dobchuck, a 9th grade EP resident, who went to school at Holy Family last year was spotted in Tonka gear and may be transferring there.

EP used to have people transfer in, now they are transferring out, and Tonka is getting the transfers
This is a head scratcher for me. I’d say it was more about what happened to HF than an EP thing. Anyone who thinks they’re going to make the V or JV team as a freshman in EP next season is smoking crack as they are bringing back nearly everyone. But then again I hear another EP BAA that was at HF is now boomeranging to stay in the EP system. I’m surprised Dobber would jump but to each his own; great family.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 pm
Cookster wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:19 am I heard that Tavin Dobchuck, a 9th grade EP resident, who went to school at Holy Family last year was spotted in Tonka gear and may be transferring there.

This is a head scratcher for me. I’d say it was more about what happened to HF than an EP thing. Anyone who thinks they’re going to make the V or JV team as a freshman in EP next season is smoking crack as they are bringing back nearly everyone. But then again I hear another EP BAA that was at HF is now boomeranging to stay in the EP system. I’m surprised Dobber would jump but to each his own; great family.
??

Excluding goalies, I'm seeing 8 skaters that were seniors that will be departing EP. I also wouldn't consider the current JV & upcoming Bantams to exactly be inspiring.
headsupsticksdown

Doc Holliday wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:41 am
headsupsticksdown wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:27 pm

??

Excluding goalies, I'm seeing 8 skaters that were seniors that will be departing EP. I also wouldn't consider the current JV & upcoming Bantams to exactly be inspiring.
I should have specified as said player is a F. I believe they only lost Sat and BJC the majority of the seniors were on D. How many points off that team did they lose? The Junior (incoming Sr class) and Soph group are extremely strong so throw in a few transfers as usual and there are literally no spots back to my point. If even go as far as to say spots on JV will be tight too. So you’re looking at playing JV at Tonka or EP which IMO is a head scratcher to me. We’ll see how EP does as it’ll be the first time in a long time Gerdes won’t be on the bench, but Luc will be.
High Heat

Post by High Heat »

Eden Prairie better find some D & Goalie. Section 2AA runs through Shakopee or Minnetonka.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I actually think they'll be OK at goalie, but headsupsticksdown is a bit higher on EP's current sophomore (next year's juniors) than I am. Other than Moe, I don't see much meat on that bone that should scare anyone, opponents and/or potential transfers looking for an open spot(s) both included.
headsupsticksdown

Doc Holliday wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:59 am I actually think they'll be OK at goalie, but headsupsticksdown is a bit higher on EP's current sophomore (next year's juniors) than I am. Other than Moe, I don't see much meat on that bone that should scare anyone, opponents and/or potential transfers looking for an open spot(s) both included.
I’m not super high on that incoming junior class but more likely their incoming senior class will be 80% of the roster and minutes. I am with you that next year and potentially continuing a downward trend, things do not look great for EP but you never know. Some of those 13/14/15 year olds may develop so it’s useless trying to label and predict players at the youth level…

Everyone keeps talking about Shako but I just can’t jump on that bandwagon. Much like Chan I think their program drops significantly over the next few years…

It’s almost a lock that Tonka and Edina will be the dominant programs in the west metro for years to come.
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

' EP used to have people transfer in, now they are transferring out, and Tonka is getting the transfers"

The quote above is a very interesting one. I wouldn't say they transferred in but were recruited in year after year. I could not understand for the life of me why the people of Eden Prairie allowed it to happen year after year. It all comes down to coaches. The current coach is a man of character and believes in Eden Prairie kids. The former coach who was fired was about as slimy as they get. Now the recruiting and bringing in of players has just shifted 3-4 miles north to Minnetonka High School. It is clearly wrong and destroying high school hockey. Open enrollment needs to be PLEASE BAN ME canned and the MSHSL needs to go back to one rule and one rule only. You want to play in a particular community, you establish permanent residency in that community by purchasing a home. No apartments and no renting homes!
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:29 pm ' EP used to have people transfer in, now they are transferring out, and Tonka is getting the transfers"

The quote above is a very interesting one. I wouldn't say they transferred in but were recruited in year after year. I could not understand for the life of me why the people of Eden Prairie allowed it to happen year after year. It all comes down to coaches. The current coach is a man of character and believes in Eden Prairie kids. The former coach who was fired was about as slimy as they get. Now the recruiting and bringing in of players has just shifted 3-4 miles north to Minnetonka High School. It is clearly wrong and destroying high school hockey. Open enrollment needs to be PLEASE BAN ME canned and the MSHSL needs to go back to one rule and one rule only. You want to play in a particular community, you establish permanent residency in that community by purchasing a home. No apartments and no renting homes!
What if your family cannot afford to purchase a home and has to rent? Are they then excluded from playing high school sports?

Saw an interesting news story recently on the decline of home ownership and the rise of all these apartment complexes being built. They younger generations are gravitating to renting as they do not want to deal with upkeep of houses/yards/etc. They would rather rent and have the rental company be responsible for those expenses.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I think what it comes down to (and this is just my opinion) is parents of kids are ok with transfers, as long as it doesn't affect their child. If you have say 5 kids that transfer in, to them, that's eliminating the weakest 5 kids that holding the team back from whatever potential end of the season result the team can achieve. So you have at least 10-12, maybe even 15 sets of parents that are ok with it.....I think it's naive to think that the majority of the 2021 EP parents weren't ok with Langenbrunner & Hayes because it made the defense & goaltending better for their kids' team. I'm guessing it's the same way at Tonka; the top 50-60% of the kids' parents are good with it because it doesn't affect their kid.

Once again, just my opinion.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

According to Loren Nelson's Legacy.hockey site there were approximately a dozen kids last season that transferred from MSHSl to mshsl varsity with eligibility retained

That is pretty close to what is shown on the transfer thread on this forum from last season

That's out of approximately 150? Teams and 3000? Varsity Kids statewide.

https://www.legacy.hockey/page/show/7428273-transfers
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

WestMetro wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:20 pm According to Loren Nelson's Legacy.hockey site there were approximately a dozen kids last season that transferred from MSHSl to mshsl varsity with eligibility retained

That is pretty close to what is shown on the transfer thread on this forum from last season

That's out of approximately 150? Teams and 3000? Varsity Kids statewide.

https://www.legacy.hockey/page/show/7428273-transfers
It's the ruination of HS hockey in Minnesota, I tell ya! The ruination! :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
headsupsticksdown

FlinFlonBomber wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:29 pm ' EP used to have people transfer in, now they are transferring out, and Tonka is getting the transfers"

There have been a lot of posts here, but OK. This makes entirely no sense at all. Weed out kids that live in rentals due to one reason or another and this does NOTHING for a nutjob parent who packs up and PHYSICALLY purchases a home in said new district whenever he/she feels Johnny has been slighted. It happens more often than not--are these transfers then considered legit because a transaction was involved?

There's no way around the transfer rule; it's been debated for pages and pages and pages. You only have to hope you get someone within the administration or coaching staff to tell parents to take a hike every time one tries to jump in. I don't have direct experience with the staff to quote this as fact, but what do you think Giles and Sami do in this situation? I've said it before, it doesn't happen too often in Edina because I'm guessing Giles lays those eyes on you and tells you to buzz off as if a kid isn't working out he'll pull from 100's of others standing in line. Say what you want about Edina but one thing that impresses me (and I know this is not exclusive to Edina) is when a coach tells a kid he's moving to D after being a F for years, the answer is "yes sir". I've seen other cases where kids whine, parents go nuts, etc. and ride it for months and months about this and that, then write a bad review and end up transferring out. Next man/girl up in Edina--you don't like it, tough.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Where exactly is Rui Nation?
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

I agree with you that there are coaches out there that will tell kids to stay where there at and guarantee nothing. However, I disagree with you that nothing can be done regarding players transferring and open enrollment.
oldmaverick

Post by oldmaverick »

Hearing 11th grade Tristin Wassengeso (F) and played at U16 SF Power is coming back but not to Chan but Shako. Older brother was a Sr. (D) on Chan this past season. They live in Chaska - not sure how the transfer/move is working.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Hearing HF Jack Gleason will be on the Chan roster for 24-25.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Do our 218 friends or East Side friends have anything's to report before summer practices start next week?
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:54 pm Do our 218 friends or East Side friends have anything's to report before summer practices start next week?
Hill Murray will be overated.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

SEC Scotty wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:28 pm
WestMetro wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:54 pm Do our 218 friends or East Side friends have anything's to report before summer practices start next week?
Like when we were #4 in 2009? Or like when we were #5 in 2020?
Hockey Is For Everyone
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

SEC Scotty wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:28 pm
Grayson Hanggi (Junior this coming fall) will be in net at Hill Murray next season after leaving Shattuck. Good goalie and has really improved over the last year but was on outside looking in making Prep next year at SSM even with Hirshorn leaving early for the NAHL.

BSM is in desperate need of a goalie, they were kinda spoiled having Limesand and McElroy the last seven years...cupboard is bare over there. Maybe they get a Canadian to come down? :lol: