7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:Does anyone have any news on the GR suspensions? I heard a rumor in the community today that two players are suspended for the season. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? If so, who?

I'm a committed GR fan, but these recurring claims of drinking associated with the team makes them a much less likable group. Hopefully some opposing student sections hit them with some major ridicule, so those players who remain will feel compelled to stay clean.
East, Cloquet, Elk River, AnDover, DM tops in 7AA. Keep it on topic.

I think potential losses of players from an allegedly depleted roster of the reigning section and state champs is on topic for this thread. We've dissected the drama at CEC, gone over the depth and quality of the East program, reviewed the quiet upswing at Marshall, considered the implications on hockey from Elk River's football program, and covered a multiplicity of issues for Rapids. Suspensions, perhaps season long, are just another twist potentially impacting GR's role in Section 7AA.

So, for me, my question stands. There appeared to be at least 3 players missing from the GR line-up at Greenway this evening. Does anyone have any insights? GR fans hoping for a growing, dangerous team in February may need to further contain their optimism.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I've been following high school hockey for 50 years. Being a fan of my hometown has done pretty well for me over that time. I can't think of many schools who have had a better run in that stretch. I will stand by my team and remain optimistic for the season like always.

I also believe that whatever a few minors may or may not have done to not be on the ice is something most adults would not comment on even if they did have any insight. JMHO.

Anyway, Greenway looks poised to have a nice season and I wish them luck the rest of the way.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

🙄

JMHO
GR is the defending state champs. Had to deal with a head coach and very gifted players leaving. You are gonna be talked about, no matter what the issue is. You had a handful of kids get caught and so be it, it gives the fans and us die hards things to keep up on and chat about later down the road, what if. From the feed I watched I didn’t see Brunson,Jaeger,Miskovich and DelGreco.
It’s part of life being a fan people want the dirt!
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
grindiangrad-80

I enjoy the hockey chat. That's why I am on here. I feel I can be vocal publicly of college and pro players and teams. I am usually pretty careful of how I talk about high school kids.

I know it can be hard to do at times though.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

What the fans want the most is an honest effort. Don't worry about the results, which as Trent Klatt used to say is out of your control. Be "right here, right now". If you just skate your tail off every shift the fans will appreciate the effort win or lose.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
kniven

Post by kniven »

I’m really looking forward to seeing Duluth East vs. White Bear Lake on Friday. Especially after seeing them win convincingly 4-1 vs. CEC.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

kniven wrote:I’m really looking forward to seeing Duluth East vs. White Bear Lake on Friday. Especially after seeing them win convincingly 4-1 vs. CEC.
I was kind of surprised by that 4-1 result. I have heard WBL is improved, but this is a highly touted group at CEC. I'm hoping that when CEC and East play in a couple weeks that both teams are at full strength. Sounds like East is a bit short handed due to injury to start the season.
kniven

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote:I’m really looking forward to seeing Duluth East vs. White Bear Lake on Friday. Especially after seeing them win convincingly 4-1 vs. CEC.
I was kind of surprised by that 4-1 result. I have heard WBL is improved, but this is a highly touted group at CEC. I'm hoping that when CEC and East play in a couple weeks that both teams are at full strength. Sounds like East is a bit short handed due to injury to start the season.
Agreed. I’m going to go with, “it’s early”, on this one for CEC. And yes, it’s no fun when kids are hurt. Let’s hope both teams are 100%.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Hopefully DE vs. WBL will be on The Horn. Should be a great one.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

ryguyMN wrote:
Pretty sure they tweeted that it will be
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
DJ is spot on with this; CEC highly touted on this message board. I know season is very early but not sure CEC will be a top 3 team in this section. A lot of high hopes are put on this good group of kids.[/b]
kniven

Post by kniven »

Agreed. Duluth East and Elk River will be 1 and 2 seed. AnDover, Marshall, and Cloquet fighting for 3 and 4 seed. Going to Marshall or Andover for a first round playoff game does not sound fun at all. All I want for Christmas is a first round home playoff game. :). But in the mean time, I am going to enjoy the season.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I think wondering about players being out potentially for the season is relevant to a team's prospects, but I agree raising the question about "who" was not appropriate. I apologize. I am sure if there is any truth to it, then it will be too obvious and plenty painful for all involved.

Thanks for the reality checks.

As always, I very much hope the kids and their families are able to address any issues and progress to being solid contributors to their communities. It might be a bit unfair to them that they are elevated to such status at such a young age.

Hopefully the GR team can unite and take care of things over which they have control, like intensity, preparation, and teamwork.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
It was an ugly game, we didn't dominate by any means but it's good to come out with a 4-1 win (4th was a empty netter) in a ugly game. I think the problem with CEC was their power play, they went 0-6 on the night, including a long 5x3 in the 3rd, pop one of those in and it completely changes the game for lumberjacks.They had plenty of chances, just weren't able to bury.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Rocketwrister wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
DJ is spot on with this; CEC highly touted on this message board. I know season is very early but not sure CEC will be a top 3 team in this section. A lot of high hopes are put on this good group of kids.[/b]
Being touted on the board was only part of it. I expect CEC to be good because they have proven it at every level in youth hockey and they nearly upset Duluth East in the semi-finals last year. That was a 1-0 game. If Grand Rapids isn't going to be in the mix, my hope is that Cloquet is good enough to reach the section final and give Duluth East a great game at Amsoil. Seems like it has been a while since East and CEC met in that game.
grindiangrad-80

Immigrant Fan wrote:I think wondering about players being out potentially for the season is relevant to a team's prospects, but I agree raising the question about "who" was not appropriate. I apologize. I am sure if there is any truth to it, then it will be too obvious and plenty painful for all involved.

As always, I very much hope the kids and their families are able to address any issues and progress to being solid contributors to their communities. It might be a bit unfair to them that they are elevated to such status at such a young age.

Hopefully the GR team can unite and take care of things over which they have control, like intensity, preparation, and teamwork.
I shouldn't have been posting about that in the first place. I was a little raw after the Greenway game. :oops: I guess I will never be old enough for that to go away.

I do agree with you on the hope of them getting their s..t straightened out and coming together as the season rolls on. I believe they will do that.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:I think wondering about players being out potentially for the season is relevant to a team's prospects, but I agree raising the question about "who" was not appropriate. I apologize. I am sure if there is any truth to it, then it will be too obvious and plenty painful for all involved.

I shouldn't have been posting about that in the first place. I was a little raw after the Greenway game. :oops: I guess I will never be old enough for that to go away.

I do agree with you on the hope of them getting their s..t straightened out and coming together as the season rolls on. I believe they will do that.

Believe me, 55 years old is still very young. You have many years for that sort of thing to go away. Unfortunately, other things go away with it.
grindiangrad-80

Believe me, 55 years old is still very young. You have many years for that sort of thing to go away. Unfortunately, other things go away with it.

LOL. I don't doubt that for a minute.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Immigrant Fan AD
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

ryguyMN wrote:
yeah we're totally doing it
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Anyone have a link for the east game tonight?
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

GPGT wrote:Anyone have a link for the east game tonight?
www.thehornwbl.com
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Thank you!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Is this easts #1 goalie?
grindiangrad-80

That was quite a hockey game. Looked like a couple of heavy weights going at it. Pretty impressive start to the season for the Bears. Down 3-0 to a team like that is tough to battle back from. East goalie really looked sharp in OT. That will be a factor later on this winter. Good stuff.