The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Proctor Hockey wrote:
Duluth_Topper wrote:Watched Hermantown destroy Proctor last night 10-1 and out shot them 59-6. Proctor actually scored 1st on breakaway with H-Towns backup goalie. They also didn't even start the top line. Had 3 shorthanded goals. Should have been 20-0.
What exactly is your point with this post? Do you need self-validation for sending your kid to Marshall? I thought it was all for the "Education." Nothing to do with Hockey, right? Marshall saw him on the B Honor Roll in Proctor and recruited him hard?

Proctor is working hard to turn around the Hockey Program. We're opening a brand new, $12 Million Arena this fall, but that's just the start. Yes, we lose most of our top players to open-enrollment at Hermantown obviously but what can you do about that? Parents are not what they used to be. You do the best you can with the kids that you have. Hockey will not be the future for 99% of these kids so we stress Academics. There are no better teachers in MN then what we have in Proctor. A lot of our kids will be going to college for free while the Hermantown kids will be spending their two years in Bubblesburgh, Ontario. It's all relative.....
Wait. What?

This can't be right. I was told that all the "stories" about anyone open enrolling into Hermantown had been debunked. :?: :?: :?:
kniven

Post by kniven »

kids want to play where it is more fun. winning is fun.
Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey »

kniven wrote:kids want to play where it is more fun. winning is fun.
I have yet to ever meet a young kid who wanted to leave their friends and school and switch teams. It's the Parents.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Proctor Hockey wrote:
I have yet to ever meet a young kid who wanted to leave their friends and school and switch teams. It's the Parents.
Disagree. Never is a big word. Young kids mostly don’t care so the parents do it and the young person rolls with the changes, adapts and makes the best of it. Nothing is cut and dry in life except for being born and dying. These kids that open enroll, move, or whatever most probably don’t do it crying and screaming. #you build it people will come.....now if they would do something with that “tin can” of an arena.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Proctor Hockey wrote:
I did so quite willingly, and that was years ago. We toured multiple private schools, and I discussed the options with my parents, but ultimately they left the decision up to me. I made what I believed to be the best choice for my overall future, knowing full well that I would be leaving my youth teammates and friends from my neighborhood.

As kniven said, these situations aren’t always so black and white, and you can’t simply blame parents for wanting a better situation for their children.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Stang5280 wrote:
Proctor Hockey wrote:
I did so quite willingly, and that was years ago. We toured multiple private schools, and I discussed the options with my parents, but ultimately they left the decision up to me. I made what I believed to be the best choice for my overall future, knowing full well that I would be leaving my youth teammates and friends from my neighborhood.

As kniven said, these situations aren’t always so black and white, and you can’t simply blame parents for wanting a better situation for their children.
I will never forget the day my kid asked me if he could go to Marshall. It never crossed my mind before he asked. It has been the best decision for him and his younger siblings. Kind of a turning point in our lives.
kniven

Post by kniven »

That is awesome! Hermantown is probably pretty crowded with talent and their parents. It’s all about choices for everyone. Some have the ability to choose and some don’t. It’s unfortunate some don’t have the option to choose and are stuck in a system with talent everywhere. There is more to life. But this is a high school hockey forum.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I guess Hermantown belongs in single A.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Traxler wrote:I guess Hermantown belongs in single A.
They are not as dominant as they were the last few years but they are still a solid team.

Grand Rapids got beat soundly by Cloquet late in the season last year and went on to run the table.

Not saying they will be A champs again but I wouldn't write them off just yet.
Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck »

Greenway or Virginia have a really good chance at stopping the Bawks from heading south this year.
grindiangrad-80

Thunderstruck wrote:Greenway or Virginia have a really good chance at stopping the Bawks from heading south this year.
Agree with that. I have no real beef with Hermantown but it would be nice to see one of the range teams get past them this year.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I wonder if 7AA's reliance on QRF will force H-town's hand regarding the A versus AA debate. My impression is that 7AA teams don't gain anything by playing A teams - it even sounds like it could hurt them.

So, why would 7AA teams continue to schedule H-town. For example, GR played two games against H-town this year. Yes, HT is a strong program playing good hockey, but where is the benefit for GR? It sounds like they would be better off playing St. Francis, STMA, or even adding a second game with ER. I have long wished in addition to playing ER at the Edina Classic, they would add a game each year alternating home and away.

At any rate, if all the 7AA teams no longer scheduled single A H-town, what would the Hawks do? More long bus rides? More local A games? Or play-up to AA level?
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
kniven

Post by kniven »

Immigrant Fan wrote:I wonder if 7AA's reliance on QRF will force H-town's hand regarding the A versus AA debate. My impression is that 7AA teams don't gain anything by playing A teams - it even sounds like it could hurt them.

So, why would 7AA teams continue to schedule H-town. For example, GR played two games against H-town this year. Yes, HT is a strong program playing good hockey, but where is the benefit for GR? It sounds like they would be better off playing St. Francis, STMA, or even adding a second game with ER. I have long wished in addition to playing ER at the Edina Classic, they would add a game each year alternating home and away.

At any rate, if all the 7AA teams no longer scheduled single A H-town, what would the Hawks do? More long bus rides? More local A games? Or play-up to AA level?
Now that is interesting. If I were an Ad/Head Coach, I would definitely take Single A Hermantown off my schedule. Very interesting.....this QRF thing changes everything.
grindiangrad-80

Immigrant Fan wrote:I wonder if 7AA's reliance on QRF will force H-town's hand regarding the A versus AA debate. My impression is that 7AA teams don't gain anything by playing A teams - it even sounds like it could hurt them.

I would think that the benefit of playing against competition like Hermantown would outweigh what QRF rankings think at the end of the year. I have always believed that rankings are not as important as one would think. You need to win at least 3 to get to state. JMHO.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

I would think that the benefit of playing against competition like Hermantown would outweigh what QRF rankings think at the end of the year. I have always believed that rankings are not as important as one would think. You need to win at least 3 to get to state. JMHO.
I agree with that sentiment, but isn’t the reason for Hermantown not being on Duluth East’s schedule due to them being class A? Duluth Marshall reappeared on Duluth East’s schedule as soon as they opted up. I assume the same would happen with Hermantown.

I wouldn’t outright dismiss the idea that other 7AA teams will schedule fewer class A schools due to the QRF section seeding.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Traxler wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:

I agree with that sentiment, but isn’t the reason for Hermantown not being on Duluth East’s schedule due to them being class A? Duluth Marshall reappeared on Duluth East’s schedule as soon as they opted up. I assume the same would happen with Hermantown.

I wouldn’t outright dismiss the idea that other 7AA teams will schedule fewer class A schools due to the QRF section seeding.
Ive already heard DM is dropping Greenway next year due to the QRF
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Cloquet and Marshall get screwed in this scenario because they have to play them for conference play. Rapids would be insane to continue to play them, look for them to drop them like a bad habit. Could see the conference dissolve now too. Looks like the Chickenhawks will have a choice to make. Do they choose to continue to manipulate and take advantage of the system with open enrollment, playing AA all season and then sandbagging for the Playoffs? If so, they'll have to find a bunch of second rate Metro teams to play and live on a bus for the winter, or else add a couple trips to I Falls and Ely. We'll find out long they think they really belong in Class A.
Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper »

DM is dropping Greenway and Hibbing next year. Also DM and Cloquet have to play Hermantown , Proctor, and Denfeld as they are part of the Lake Superior Conference. They also both have to play Superior because they are in the LSC and that game counts for nothing. The perception is for QRF is that it is better to beat a weak AA school than any top A school. That seams like a flaw in the system.
grindiangrad-80

Usthockey13 wrote:
Traxler wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote: I would think that the benefit of playing against competition like Hermantown would outweigh what QRF rankings think at the end of the year. I have always believed that rankings are not as important as one would think. You need to win at least 3 to get to state. JMHO.

Ive already heard DM is dropping Greenway next year due to the QRF
I will add that I'm not implying my opinion is the correct answer. I think there are probably pros and cons to both sides here. I am guessing that GR schedules Hermantown because it is great competition within a reasonable drive. They were used to playing in a big travel circle in the IRC anyway.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Jeffy95 wrote:

Cloquet and Marshall get screwed in this scenario because they have to play them for conference play. Rapids would be insane to continue to play them, look for them to drop them like a bad habit. Could see the conference dissolve now too. Looks like the Chickenhawks will have a choice to make. Do they choose to continue to manipulate and take advantage of the system with open enrollment, playing AA all season and then sandbagging for the Playoffs? If so, they'll have to find a bunch of second rate Metro teams to play and live on a bus for the winter, or else add a couple trips to I Falls and Ely. We'll find out long they think they really belong in Class A.
Agreed. Is the fact that Hermantown provides good competition enough of a reason to take a QRF hit? DM, GR, and CEC are probably 3-20-3 against Hermantown over the last several years. These programs aren't as deep as a DE, ER, Andover, thus having last change carries heavier weight for them in a playoff game. Why would they do anything that hurts their chances at a higher seed? Wouldn't surprise me to see DM and CEC leave the LSC over this.

Are any other AA sections using QRF? If so, Hermantown's pool of quality AA opponents could dry up. Metro teams have no problem finding quality teams to play, and GR already puts together a top notch schedule, so losing Hermantown wouldn't hurt them, plus I'm guessing another solid AA metro program would enjoy a trip up to the IRA every other year. (I think GR could find the extra gas money needed if it means their chances at a higher seed are improved.)

I commend Randolph for seeing the bigger picture and not scheduling Herm. And I can't wait for these two teams to meet once sanity transfers or open enrolls into Hermantown.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

rainier2 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Agreed. Is the fact that Hermantown provides good competition enough of a reason to take a QRF hit? DM, GR, and CEC are probably 3-20-3 against Hermantown over the last several years. These programs aren't as deep as a DE, ER, Andover, thus having last change carries heavier weight for them in a playoff game. Why would they do anything that hurts their chances at a higher seed? Wouldn't surprise me to see DM and CEC leave the LSC over this.

Are any other AA sections using QRF? If so, Hermantown's pool of quality AA opponents could dry up. Metro teams have no problem finding quality teams to play, and GR already puts together a top notch schedule, so losing Hermantown wouldn't hurt them, plus I'm guessing another solid AA metro program would enjoy a trip up to the IRA every other year. (I think GR could find the extra gas money needed if it means their chances at a higher seed are improved.)

I commend Randolph for seeing the bigger picture and not scheduling Herm. And I can't wait for these two teams to meet once sanity transfers or open enrolls into Hermantown.
Can DM and CEC just up and leave the LSC if they want to? I am curious. I assumed there would be some sort of contractual obligation that they have.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Wet Paint wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Can DM and CEC just up and leave the LSC if they want to? I am curious. I assumed there would be some sort of contractual obligation that they have.
No idea. DE got out, so there must be some avenue of escape.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

rainier2 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Really not trying to poke the Bear here... but now that it’s playoff time, it dawned on me, Hermantown won’t opt up any earlier than 2020-2021. They just don’t have the kohanna’s or stones to opt up after this season concludes.
kniven

Post by kniven »

I really don’t care, and I’m actually happy they stay in A for selfish reasons. I don’t want them in 7AA.
ILTG

Post by ILTG »

Wet Paint wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

You can’t leave the conference (LSC) in just one sport. All in or all out. This could have huge ramifications in other sports. Not being able to fill a schedule, long bus rides, and more cost. Cloquet has asked to get out in hockey only but the request was rejected as it opens the door for other schools/sports to do so as well.